Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Mein Kampf « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5689
Posted From: 69.242.213.167
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I toured the Holocaust Memorial Center today and learned an interesting bit of history.

Who is the only American mentioned in Mein Kampf?

(Jjaba, I know you know this one, so please hold off on answering.)

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 68.62.19.247
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Ford?

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 606
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm good guess... thats about as good a guess as I can think of too.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5690
Posted on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn that was fast. Yes, Henry Ford.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1468
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, we know stuff.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3356
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff, kind of off topic, but have you ever been to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in D.C.? I've yet to go to the one in West Bloomfield, but I've always been interested in how the two compare and contrast. I must say, the one in D.C. is a very powerful museum, even down the very small details such as the interior design (i.e. factory-like).

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 950
Posted From: 63.41.8.152
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was also awarded a medal by AH

Ford and the Nazis

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5691
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmich, no, I haven't. But I will one day. The one here is very powerful, too. Quite large with lots of impressive exhibits.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4725
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to both the national and West Bloomfield Holocaust museums. As a member of an ethnic group who was subject to a similar mass genocide of people, it was a very powerful experience. I also had the opportunity to visit the remains of Buchenwald when I was in Germany. Mass graves are an extremely troubling thing to see. Mound after mound after mound of earth, which wouldn't be alarming until they tell you what they are and how many people are in them and how much time each mount represents.

I will say this- the victims of the Nazi Holocaust are extremely fortunate to have international recognition for their tragedy. Others, like the Armenians, are not so lucky. We fight tooth and nail to get the American government to even use the proper term of "Genocide" to refer to what happened in Armenia during the years prior to and during World War I.

In a few weeks, PBS will be showing a documentary on the Genocide, and then following it up with a "roundtable" discussion, whose two sole participants will be Turkish scholars who deny the Armenian Genocide ever happened. Just another ploy to minimize the suffering of millions.

Sorry to go off on a tangent...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 893
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He (Ford) was also awarded a medal by AH"

as were Thomas Watson of IBM, James Mooney of General Motors (just a month after Ford's award), and probably a number of other American executives

(Message edited by lilpup on March 20, 2006)

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 477
Posted From: 64.139.1.36
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I was going to guess it was Karl.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3358
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you, Aram. As being part of a minority that was enslaved and oppressed, here, the national holocaust museum struck me deep, as well. What I took away is that places like these are very valuable in that they are a warning to not repeat the negative parts of human history; a message everyone can take to heart. I'm still waiting for the world declare the Darfur Confilt an act of at least ethnic/cultural cleansing, whether or not the term of genocide is technically correct.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 1640
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Sknutson, you know that you are a defender of the current holocaust in this country - abortion - and I am not. Nor was I ever a defender of holocausts past.

But nice try tho - were he alive, AH would happily award you a medal for your efforts - or lack thereof - for the vicious effect abortion has on blacks & Jews in particular.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1799
Posted From: 66.2.148.93
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The medal that Hitler awarded to Ford is in a vault at the Henry Ford Museum. HFM publicly denies that the medal is there, but a close friend of mine was once a curator at the museum and, curious about the rumors, found the medal easily.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 327
Posted From: 64.228.108.91
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi LMichigan, Darfur has fullfilled the requirements to be termed an active campaign of genocide, I think both your federal government and mine have acknowledged this. In the mean time, Khartoum has upped the ante, and their janjaveed scum have extended their raping and burning to neighbouring Chad. It is apalling that countries like ours are not only sitting this out, but I think we even give money/ aid to the d#uche bags in Khartoum.
I wish instead of money we'd force Khartoum to put up or shut up by offering skilled military tactical support to wipe the janjaveed off the face of the Earth before offering another penny in the form of relief, debt forgiveness or anything else they keep getting from countries like the US and Canada.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1899
Posted From: 4.229.150.139
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We won't get real involved. There's no Oil in Sudan!

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4726
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not unprecedented. there's a book of multiple hundred pages filled with news clippings from the New York Times and other American newspapers describing the day-by-day atrocities committed against the Armenians by the Turks in 1915. Same goes for the Jewish Holocaust.

People know what's going on, and yet no one wants to act.

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 262
Posted From: 69.221.74.246
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is too oil in the Sudan.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3359
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erik,

I'm aware that the U.S. has declared this a genocide, but the U.N. (which would have more jurisdiction over these type of conflicts, though that's not much at all) still has yet to declare it one. But, it's not just the Janjaweed, but the Sudanese military bombing their own people from fighter jets. That's what gets me. I can't say I'm surprised that this is going largely ignored, but this is a near similar conflict with the one in Kosovo where the world (i.e. the UN) acted relatively quickly and efficiently to end that conflict. I just think our war money would go so much further (including with the War of Terrorism) in striking at the janjaweed, and standing up to the Sudanese government than our current exploits around the world. Whether they believe it or not, Sudan is part of this War on Terrorism in more ways than one, even more so than Iraq was, IMO.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 328
Posted From: 64.228.108.91
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janjaweed, not janjaveed, my mistake... perhaps I was subconsciously worried karl would chime in on my typing 'weed', even as part of a longer word! (This joke pertains to another thread and isn't really expected to be regarded as funny)
Anyhow, all we can do is bring this issue to people's attention in our daily lives. Human Rights Watch and other non-government activist groups have been describing this atrocity for years, too bad the issue is so slow to catch on. Hope we don't have to wait for a harrowing after-the-fact drama to storm movie theatres in half a decade to let the world know what had happened there...

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 68.62.19.247
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What did I win?

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 207.232.204.254
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been to the Holocaust museum in West Bloomfield, but I've heard that it blows away the Washington DC Museum.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2148
Posted From: 69.246.57.75
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And lets not forget Native Americans - slaughtered in huge numbers. Up until a few years ago Native children were taken from their parents (esp the more white looking children) and put in schools to make them "act more white" ...my own granny remembers the school "recruiters" coming thru town and her mother telling her to go hide in the woods. This in our own country. Of course a few more years of Bush and we may have to run into the woods to have abortions or be hiding our gay friends there.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 1643
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit said: "a few more years of Bush and we may have to run into the woods to have abortions or be hiding our gay friends there."

Uh huh, sure. Too bad the babies being killed can't run into the woods and hide from their own mothers.

As for gays, they're perfectly capable of taking care of themselves, and haven't been chased lately - except perhaps by their peers.........

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2431
Posted From: 68.248.12.253
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah good old "Ilovedetroit" is now once again claiming his/her alleged Native American roots (for the purposes of this thread). "WE may have to run in the woods for abortions"...so you're back to claiming that you're a woman again too?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2150
Posted From: 69.246.57.75
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - This is stupid...do you have to drag your personal vendetta with me to all threads?

1. I am very fortunate to be of mixed race heritage - African American, White, and American Indian. To most I look white but to some astute folks they can pick up on the "flavor" in me.
2. I am gay and a man and I am a proud gay man.
3. I live in Detroit and have been in my house for several years. There are others on here who know me and who have been to my house in Detroit!

Now can we get back to the thread of Mein Kampf?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3360
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their's nothing to get back too since the original question was answered early on. Still, the petty personal attacks that have followed show the maturity level, here.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never been to the Holocaust museum in West Bloomfield, but I've heard that it blows away the Washington DC Museum.

been to both. you may want to visit the one in dc before you take your friend's advice

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.