Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Photo Du Jour - March 20 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5407
Posted From: 64.228.67.25
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is today's P.D.J.

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 72.139.243.118
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There have been some decent developments happening in that neighbourhood lately so I wouldn't be surprised if this building is restored soon (or demolished).

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that the area has been transforming (for the better recently).

My parents live in Essex and when I was at UWO I used to take the train back to Windsor. Everytime I would bring my girlfriend down to Windsor (who was born and raised in Toronto/Etobicoke) I would try to go out of my way to present a very positive image of the city (and by extension Detroit). However, Walker Road would really hurt my efforts (the entire road). Worse, however, in those last few blocks before the Via station, those blighted former factories hide Walkerville's beauty and gave the appearance that the entire area was crumbling.

I have heard that the city is planning to redo the Wyandotte/Walker intersection, is this true?

Any new pictures of the Club Lofts? Prices?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8284
Posted From: 70.53.98.36
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Club Lofts are not done yet, they are still building the insides. I'm not srue of the prices but I thought they were over $200,000CDN.

No work on Wyandotte Walker intersection, but they are supposed to be doing Walker/Grand Marais intersection (big, cluster fuck there).

I think that building would have made great lofts but I believe the soil is contaminated. I predict demolition within 10 years.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5410
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upin, I have heard some rumors about Walker/Wyandotte, namely the removal of the first overpass. just east of Walker. No idea of a timeline however.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3380
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every time jjaba thinks he knows "Canadian", Goat throws one at him.

Can we have an Englisdh language definition of "big, cluster fuck." jjaba's Webster Dictionary has left that one out.

Merci, eh.

jjaba, Proudly American. (So close, yet so far away, eh.)

Upinottawa

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the federal government follows through with that plan to have CN abandon the Via rail line, then those Wyandotte underpasses could be eliminated.

If that line is abandoned, I hope the train station isn't moved to the airport. When I went to school in Kingston the location of the train station made intercity travel more expensive and time consuming. The Kingston station is about a 15 minute taxi ride from downtown/Queen's.

Kingston Transit provided service but it took 30 minutes from downtown to the station and the bus schedule was not timed according to train arrivals (although, let's face it unlike German trains you cannot set your watch to Via's arrivals and departures).

If the station is at the airport, Via (or Transit Windsor) should have a shuttle running from U of W to the downtown bus terminal to the airport/train station prior to departures and waiting for arrivals.

That being said, I still think that train stations should be downtown or linked to downtown by some reliable form of transit.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3389
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor shadowing Detroit. AMTRAK is in New Center, not downtown and pick up more passengers in the suburbs and Ann Arbor than the inner city.

jjaba.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Windsor's station is currently not downtown either. It is about 10 minutes (on city streets) east of downtown in Walkerville. The station has reasonably frequent bus service via the Crosstown 2 and the bus stop is a 2 minute walk from the station. Not the best, but not the worst.

Goat

Post Number: 8289
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UIO, The tracks that go over Drouillard and Wyandotte will not be abandoned as they serve Hiram Walker Distillery.

jjaba, you know what a big cluster f*** is but I want to know what is Englisdh? Is that a new yiddish term?

Goat

Post Number: 8290
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cluster fuck is one big problem that continues to breed new smaller problems as work (or action) continues. It is an armed forces term.

(Message edited by GOAT on March 20, 2006)

Jjaba

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Goat.
jjaba.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat: have they started work on the bridge at Grand Marais?

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 72.139.243.118
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are plans in the works for the Walker/Wyandotte intersection, could be a few years though. Pretty much the entire length of Walker Road is a disaster. There is currently an environmental assessment being undertaken of the whole length of the road since the long-term plan is to redo the whole thing.

Goat

Post Number: 8295
Posted From: 70.53.99.245
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No work as of yet. A battery company was the last to hold out (a dingy place that barely existed). But now they said it will start this spring with Walker Rd. closed down for 2 years!

This is going to be a nightmarish hell of traffic!

Upinottawa

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Especially for the autoworkers! My dad lives in Essex and works at the GM transmission plant. Maybe he should start looking for a house in the city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.