Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Highland Park area of land reborn? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 68.248.5.53
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember that stretch of land taht we suposed to be housing? Someone posted earlier about it being toxic land...

well guess what, they want to build a "shops" plaza...go figure...

i think the housing was cancelled because not a soul walked through the doors the two weeks teh trailer was up

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3361
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh...not another Model T Plaza; please, no.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 473
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What new building is going up at I-75 and the Davidson on the east of the freeway The steel structure is up but that's it? Could be located with the city of Highland Park or Detroit. Is that the new Coke Cola bottling plant?

Jltyler
Username: Jltyler

Post Number: 259
Posted From: 71.144.95.237
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me think Mrsjdaniels is right....thats a shady ass area near that railroad underpass.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 4.229.57.143
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering why nothing seemed to be happening on that site where Sears used to be. I think it's a better location for shops, anyhow. Highland Park isn't like New Center, Midtown, or downtown Detroit-- it's a suburb. Instead of building loftominiums on Woodward Avenue, I'd rather see new houses on residential streets like the ones they built in North Corktown.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 382
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park is a suburb? Nuts. It never should have been. HP and Hamtramck should have been annexed by Detroit 80 years ago.

I've always felt that.

You may now fire your cannons at me.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1068
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they both were cities the same time Detroit was a city... so they were seperate entities...

Most of what we know as the Eastside used to be Hamtramck township

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 997
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936...I agree with you. Especially as of late while the city of HP owed us money for providing services.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3366
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, how much differently would say, Hamtramck have turned out if it were part of Detroit today? I hate to say it, but it may have well turned out like other eastside neighborhoods near it. I think this independent neighborhoods self-governance ultimately has saved it from the fate of nearside neighbors.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 252
Posted From: 4.229.60.252
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, I think Hamtramck would look like what's left of the Poletown neighborhood if it had been annexed into Detroit.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3832
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, Hamtramck was also saved because, The ethnic European Polish, German, Czecks, Albanians, Hungarians, kept themselves in one basket. They even kept most black-folks from Detroit from creeping up to their cookie cutter wood frame flats. There was a report back in the 1960s that a small black community in Hamtramck's south end was torn down for demarcation issues. Clay St. was affected. Plus the west end of Hamtramck after the I-75 FWY. was built. Fewer homes were being demolished so a housing projects can be built. Today you can see the west end of Hamtramck now blighted and desolate. There are still a few black-folks living over there now. When the Yemeni-folks came to Hamtramck in 1960s, they mostly occupy at the neighborhoods of Detroit/Hamtramck border. The area at the time was moslty black and white. Today the Yemeni Arabs have full dominance in that area. They also converted a once Catholic Church into a mosque and Islamic School on Dwyer St. Between Mt. Elliott and Conant. Then the Bengladeshis came during the 1990s and they mostly occupy the northern end of Hamtramck and Detroit's Conant Gardens along with a few Yemeni Arabs.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 938
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the structure on the east side of 75 @ mcnichols looks like it'll be a mega-church judging by its configuration: slanted roof, auditorium shaped plan view, etc.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sometimes ponder the merits of Detroit spinning off certain neighborhoods as separate entities, both the successful middle class ones and the urban prairies, which have significantly unaverage ratios of how much taxes are collected and spent in them. Detroit would keep the option to reintegrate the new cities in 50 years or so, no matter how the experiment turns out. A lighter version would be to simply give neighborhoods more autonomy in how their taxes are spent in them, like business improvement districts but on a bigger level. It could help with densification and more efficient use of resources.

Motif
Username: Motif

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 68.40.5.172
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this maybe was said before but,

I was driving down m10 today, whats being built right before you get to the davidson, on the right hand side, across the steet from the big yellow pages sign???

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2392
Posted From: 66.167.58.120
Posted on Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ugh...not another Model T Plaza; please, no."

It's not as bad as you think Lmichigan. Prior to ModelT Plaza Highland Parkers, [I lived there at the time] had little recourse but to go eslewhere to shop. I am no fan of strip malls, but when there are zero and then you have one, it is a different story. Additionally the tax revenue of those properties enrich sorely needed HP revenues. Adding to it by building on the Sears property would further enhance that and solidify the shopping district benefitting all the businesses there. Compared to the weed lots that stood there for years the plaza is a blessing. It was also done with consideration of the setting with architectural quotes to Model T plant. The Farmer Jack had an actual Model T on display and huge prints of the Rivera murals on the inside.

Regarding the annexation into Detroit of HP and Hamtramck, it would be a disaster for both sides. Detroit has no resources for its own problems, let alone adopting impoverished orphans. While both enclaves are likewise strapped with few resources and the care of a huge indigent population, at least citizens can track down and find their city officials. Consequently services are better than in Detroit and certainly more personal.

When people used to bring up the "HP should be annexed by Detroit" line, my standard reply was "Screw that; we want to be annexed to Birmingham or West Bloomfield, somebody who has money."

Cosmogrl
Username: Cosmogrl

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 69.221.92.86
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Highland Park is a dead end zone of drugs and prostitution. Why don't they just burn it down?

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 69.216.108.32
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This coming from someone who neither lives nor has ever spent any adequate time in Highland Park. There are real people with real families in Highland Park who call it home.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 994
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah a little harsh there cosmogrl

Cosmogrl
Username: Cosmogrl

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not like to spend any kind of adequate time in Highland Park. I know there are families there that are trying to just make it, but the drugs have taken over. So sad.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 508
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cosmogrl....
....the impression I got from your posts is that you don't think Highland Park is worth saving. It's been 30 years since I lived in the Metro Detroit area, but Highland Park used to be a vibrant community with an active downtown shopping district, an excellent library, a great school system and one of the first city supported community colleges in the state. I don't know why it went bad, but it's worth every ounce of effort that goes into turning around what is now apparently a bad situation. It can and should be done, and I know people are trying very hard to effect a change.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3867
Posted From: 141.217.174.227
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell. Those" Snobby-folks" at the Bloomfields don't want a black and crackhead estates of Highland Park, neither Detroit and Hamtramck don't want it. The last solution PRIVATIZATION!!!

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2267
Posted From: 12.75.20.117
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why don't they just burn it down?

Well, someone was trying just that this morning.

burning

There were another 4 burnt-out houses that need to be demolished withing a half-block of this one. Yet at the same time there are a lot of infill homes that look pretty nice.

This photo was taken just a couple hundred feet from the first.

infill

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.