Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Macomb Co. wants to change its image « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1337
Posted From: 66.238.170.34
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, this is a job I wouldn't want. Trying to get folks to think Macomb Co. isn't a culture-less, blue-collar county made up of white folks is going to have to defy reality in many ways to achieve its goals.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20060324/NEWS04/ 603240450

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bvos, I think that image is a bit harsh. Macomb has parts that are diverse and it's not really blue-collar anymore, but I agree about Macomb being low-culture (I don't think any place is culture-less). Compared to Wayne and Oakland, Macomb can't even compare. You can't just go out and build culture, culture is someting that only accumulates over TIME.

But, a lot of people just want a big new house in a nice subdivision with good schools. For those people Macomb is perfect. You may to drive a ways to work though.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 860
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing that has been a huge lure to Macomb County has been its low tax rates compared to neighboring counties. Part of the reason the culture is not there, is why create new when there are already great cultural institutions in other areas. This has been the huge plus for Detroit, and no need to create more when you already have it in Detroit. One could argue that with housing too, but that is an arguement that we know how most of us feel.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, good points. Low taxes are a big factor in the rapid growth. But eventually tax rates will have to catch up to the level of services that the population requires and delivering services over that large very low-density county will be a nightmare in 50 years. But the people building the place will most likely be dead anyways.

Someday Macomb will be old with cutural attactions, say in 80 years. But right now they are not easily within reach. It's not convenient to go to the DFT on Mondays if you live in Shelby Twp.

Bvos

Post Number: 1338
Posted From: 66.238.170.33
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog,

I don't think many folks from Macomb Co. are going to the DFT. There are a few for sure, but a very small percentage of the DFT's patrons.

You are right that they aren't culture-less. They do have the Macomb Center, otherwise known as the place where second and third tier touring acts stop if they can't book a gig at any other venue in metro Detroit.

Sorry to sound so negative, but having grown up there it's really a very low-class, low-culture area and folks seem to like it that way.

Bob

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have picked a friend up from Sterling Heights on our way to the DIA and have had no problem getting to the DIA in 30 minutes. There is no reason to have lots of venues in Macomb because it is easy to drive to other places where they already exist. To say everyone in Macomb has no class is just not true.

Bvos

Post Number: 1339
Posted From: 66.238.170.33
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't say no class, I said low class.

Tell me what there is to do in Macomb Co. for a night out compared to what is available in Oakland, Wayne or Washtenaw Co.

Macomb has movie theaters and a few decent restaurants. The other 3 counties have live theaters, concert venues, specialty movie theaters, great bars, museums, art galleries, etc., etc., etc.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 344
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me think through this:
Detroit, with its some 60% or so functional illiteracy rate has more culture buffs than Macomb County has???

Doesn't it seem more probable that when the flight from Detroit occurred over the past six decades that it was a bit difficult to take the museums and such with them? And it would be foolish to relocate them, to boot. [Besides, Detroiters would have cried and whined that they were "stolen."] These buildings (that's all they really are) are still there for others, anywhere, to visit occasionally. And visitors help pay the bills for the events and upkeep.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, yes Detroit has more culture. Way more. Culture is created over TIME. Detroit is very old compared to the suburbs, and when money leaves culture always stays. Oakland probably has the most culture buffs, because that's where the real money is, not in new and shiny Macomb. But there's more to culture than the DIA or the Fisher Theatre. Up and coming bands always play in Detroit. Underground forward-thinking music, 90% is in Detroit. Because Detroit, has the low-rent music venues, bars and clubs galore. Occasionally a band plays the RO music theatre or Clutch Cargo's but come on, no band plays anywhere in Macomb if they are anybody. I'm not dissing Macomb. That's just how it is. (One exception is big arena artists who play the Palace, but they are pop culture -- pretty low brow stuff even if some of the artists started out in gritty American cities.)

Livernoisyard, these places are more than buildings. The art, music and culture is generated by time and history of the place and the people who live and visit these places.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1497
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can lead a horse to water ...

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 546
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was surprised that the article said they wanted to draw in more people. I thought Macomb County had been suffering big growing pains recently (M-59 traffic, etc.). They could definitely use some high-tech employers though. ;-)

As far as culture goes, I think most folks there (except young adults) prefer peaceful, unpretentious lifestyles over hustle and bustle although there seem to have been recent attempts to jazz up Mount Clemens. I could easily be wrong. Things change.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overall, I think it's good they want to improve their image. It's a win-win for the region.

How's that for regionalism. :-)

But I think they should focus on their strengths, as should Detroit and the other parts of the Metro area. The metro area should have something for everyone.

But, what I really just noticed about the article is that they polled RESIDENTS OF OAKLAND AND WAYNE COUNTIES. Obviously, per Jimaz's post, they are trying to attract people from places that are percieved to be "less blue-collar, "less white", and "more cultured." This is troubling because it is simply a game of musical chairs. They should be focused on marketing themselves outside the region.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 241
Posted From: 198.204.133.208
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in NYC last weekend and saw a billboard that stated: "Be thankful for bacteria. For some people, it's the only culture they're ever exposed to."

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. That's a GREAT BILLBOARD! How snobbish, only in NYC! It's largely true though.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1074
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sorry to sound so negative, but having grown up there it's really a very low-class, low-culture area and folks seem to like it that way."

Ya macomb sucks REAL bad...
Im dying to get out of this place...

but for people that are anti culture and love the manufactured lifestyle... they will need somewhere to go once the new Detroit is up and running fast...

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2444
Posted From: 69.221.94.112
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again the true colors of some show in this thread. What happend to "any improvement is good for the region"? What if you replace MC with Detroit as the subject and had the same kinds of reactions? Again, some of the so-called Detroit boosters are as bad as some of the suburbanites that they rail against so much. They have a lot more in common (in terms of their psuedo elitist attitudes) than they realize or care to admit.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei, there is no shortage of anti-culture people in the world, it's true.

Jimaz

Post Number: 547
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I'd take a canoe ride over a theater visit any day, but I'm just full of bacteria. LOL (That is a brilliant billboard idea.)

Yes, focus on strengths! Variety in the region! No more handwringing! :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 548
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Eastsidedog:
They should be focused on marketing themselves outside the region.

quote:

The article:
A video promoting Macomb as a desirable location was shown at Metro Airport.

The airport seems a good place to show the promo video then?

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 614
Posted From: 68.249.240.213
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with BVOS I grew up there. It is lacking culture and they love it.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1290
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I avoid Macomb co. almost as readily as Oakland county.

Macomb county has one of the ugliest built environments I've ever seen, especially western Macomb county and the 98% of it that is not pre-existing turn of the century farmtown. The only slightly appealing area is Jefferson from the Ford estate to about 13 mile, perhaps the core of Mt. Clemens, and a couple random mainstreets out in the boonies. Grosbeck, Gratiot, Mound, Hoover, etc. and all the disgustingly bland subdivisions new and old are some of the most depressing places around. The saving grace is the 15 or so miles of Lakeshore they have. Macomb, even more so than your average suburbia, is a testament to man's capability to ruin a place by creating a built environment that is tremendously useful but not at all beautiful.

Are there people stuck there that are highly cultural and not low-class and perhaps even supporters of Detroit? Surely, and more than a few. But the prospects of Macomb developing a culture and class of its own are slim to none, unless you consider having some high-end retailers in mega-malls 'class.'

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 496
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Old Culture, High Culture, Poor Culture, Rich Culture"

All meaningless terms, the definition of culture is: "patterns of learned behavior that change over time"

It has nothing to do with money (Oakland County) or cool wanna be hipsters, sorry. Everyone here is thinking of "Popular Culture" another useless term.

If you want to think about museums, the DIA, etc. It doesn't matter that it is in Detroit, how many Detroiters are patrons, compaired to city residents?

If Macomb Co. improves it's image great, every place has culture, providing you not to much of an urban oriented sob to look at.

Truly sad.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 752
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you “high cultured” people actually take the time to read the article? Where does it say anything about Macomb trying to compete with Detroit’s cultural attractions? The county simply wants to brand itself as a good place to do business, live, and raise a family – which it is. The county does have many of the amenities that a young, cultured person would desire – colleges, art centers, theaters, etc., but why would they try to replicate the wonderful establishments that are already in the city of Detroit? Do I think Macomb is a great place for a young person to live? Not really, but it is a great place to raise a family, or run a business. Not everyone needs the “urban experience.” Macomb essentially functions as a bedroom community, and there is nothing wrong with that – that’s their part in the region, and if you people weren’t so simple minded you would realize that. If the region is going to work there needs to be urban, rural, industrial, open space, AND suburban areas. This bullshit, “I’m so much better that the suburb I came from” attitude is so ridiculous. I live in a home, which is on a street, that is in a neighborhood, that is in Detroit, which is in Wayne county, which is in southeast Michigan, and that is exactly what Macomb County is to the rest of the world – PART OF DETROIT! I’m so fed up with so many Detroiters thinking they are so self-important because they make the social, quasi-political, whatever you want to call it, decisions to live in “the city.” This attitude makes me ashamed to say I’m from Detroit, and honestly makes me considering moving out of this state for good. Really, when will this suburb vs city, city vs suburb thing ever end????

Bob

Post Number: 864
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb County is what it is, and why would Macomb need to develop the cultural institutions, when they already exist in Detroit. If Macomb County tried to develop the cultural stuff, you would all be ripping on them for that. So much for the regionalism built after the Super Bowl. This is proof why our region will continue to falter, because we can't work together to think as a region. Instead we continue the us against them mentality. Some people like the name brand stuff in the mega malls. If the malls were located in Detroit, a lot of you would have no problem with them. This after Nancy White went out of her way to talk about how much she hates Detroit bashing. Do you see Macomb going out of its way like L Brooks to rip on Detroit? Macomb is suburbs and is not trying to recreate the city because it already exists in Detroit. Oakland on the other hand has tried to become more of an island and make it so it does not need Detroit.

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 68.252.69.252
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im a 22 year old white kid who grew up in Sterling Heights, and while I'd rather spend a night in Detroit than anywhere in Macomb county, its really not a bad place to live.

Also, its getting more diverse every month, and yes thats true, its a great thing IMO.

Nobody can argue that Macomb county has culture, thats for sure, but its not fair to say that everyone is low class, its never fair to make blanket statements about any group of people. And there are plenty of good restaurants and bars here, Pontiac has a passable nightlife with a fun piano bar, and the Shamrock Pub in Utica (who just had a fire over the weekend, sadly) has the best hamburgers I've ever had.

I'm not overly partial to this area, I wouldn't have a problem moving out, but I certainly don't mind living here and I wouldn't have a problem staying either.

Jimaz

Post Number: 549
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jimelnino:
Shamrock Pub in Utica (who just had a fire over the weekend ...

Oh no! How bad was it?

Did the Farm Bureau ever reopen after their fire?

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimelnino trying to steal Pontiac from those of us in OC? =)

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 887
Posted From: 146.9.52.12
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimelnino, I know you probable just misspoke but Pontiac is in Oakland count, not Macomb.

Jimelnino

Post Number: 369
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahaha yeah sorry, I guess I live too close to the border to even make any distinction anymore, my bad.

Ok then just the Shamrock, its our only redeeming quality, and it just went up in flames :-)

Yeah its gonna be closed for a few months, the local paper says it was only 20% damaged, but somehow that 20% did $300k in damages, so I'm guessing the corner where the grill and all the equpiment is went up. The farm bureau had a fire on a friday and I think it was back in business on the following monday, selling stuff off the porch. I don't know how that thing didn't burn to the ground, its pretty much an old wooden barn. They're completely redoing it right now.

Jimaz

Post Number: 550
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimelnino, we'll have to get together sometime. I'm now in the process of moving there and can't get this grin off my face.

So where are the Shamrock patrons going for the next few months? Surely not the <gasp> Locker Room! LOL

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3312
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must admit, Macomb County has the most potential to grow out of Wayne, Oakland, and Washtenaw. Ok, so there aren’t any downtowns or architectural wonders. In place of that, there are low taxes and low crime rates. A lot of money is moving north of Hall Road. Sure, it is a bunch of new money with their SUVs and McMansions, but still, more money means more clout. There is still plenty to develop in Macomb. Probably much more so than Oakland or Wayne.

Here is a question. Do lower income areas necessarily mean lower sense of class? What about all the artists in living near Wayne State. Sure, they aren’t high-income either. So, they “create” art, I guess this makes them have a thing called “class.” But when a lower income person from Macomb County “creates” something on the line, well that is just low class.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 889
Posted From: 146.9.52.12
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a few interesting buildings in Mt. Clemens.

Jimelnino

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah downtown Mt. Clemens is alright, its kinda like a mish-mash of urban and suburban. It got 100% better when The Pantry moved in though.

Come to think of it, The Pantry is only in Macomb county, so theres another plus :-) Best breakfast ever.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 71
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patrick, my point was that there's all kinds of culture, high-brow sipping wine at the DIA or going to the symphony. low-brow hanging out at the Magic Stick listening to an indie rock band, going to an art gallery in Corktown, etc, etc...

My point was that Macomb sort of lacks both venerable arts institutions and much of a local cultural scene. The Detroit area cultural scene is very much concentrated in the city and Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills. Again, I'm not putting down Macomb. It's just the way the area has developed.

Patrick, in response to your question, class and culture are two totally different animals. Most artists are poor, they may have culture but may have no class at all.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 970
Posted From: 63.41.8.202
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see: compare the cultural levels of a major city around 300 years old, with a county that until about 50 years ago was mostly farmland. Hmm...

(I'll have to ponder this some other time as I have to go get the hayseeds cleaned out of my tuxedos.)

Jimelnino

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More like 30 years ago was mostly farmland.

My parents moved out of the city in the late 70s, and from what my Dad says, it was nothing but farms, and Lakeside Mall (which stood out like a sore thumb). A funny story he told me was that when they first moved out there he went driving around at about 6am some weekend morning, and he saw an accident at the corner of 24 and VanDyke, when it was nothing but forest around there, and he thought to himself, what are the odds two people are even at this intersection at the same time? Funny to hear that and see that area nowadays.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to put it hornwrecker.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot believe the elitist attitudes toward culture in this thread. All places have culture. It may not be a culture that you enjoy or want to be part of, but it is there. It goes with life itself.
Now, that being said, whoever would want to live in Macomb County in one of those tacky subdivisions has got to be out of his or her mind. But for that matter, I don't really see that big of a difference between Macomb County or Oakland County or any other funky little suburban side street.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really, Jjw, it's not that big of a deal that Macomb is perceived as blue-collar, mostly white and culture-less by Wayne and Oakland county residents. Culture doesn't bring development dollars, or middle class class families, blah blah blah. Downtown Detroit has been marketing culture and history for years and it hasn't made companies want to move downtown in droves. The truth is culture isn't valued much in American society. So all this fuss is not about attracting DEVELOPMENT (which Macomb currently has) but it is truly about IMAGE. This Diretor from Macomb obviously wants the county to be PERCEIVED as something it currently isn't. Macomb in fact residents may think totally otherwise.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3846
Posted From: 141.217.173.176
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks in Macomb Co. want to have a nice bedroom community with no hip hop culture involved. They want to tax rates down and create a " Pleasantville" setting for future middle income families. And they want to keep it that way.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2831
Posted From: 69.209.177.70
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim, the Pantry is way overpriced, although the place isn't as foo-foo now as when it was Kathy's Beestro. Royal Cafe south of downtown has much better prices, and the food is just as good.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 69.14.26.135
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb County used to be all culture -- ah, agriculture. Nevermind.

If you want a higher quality of life, you have to pay for it. Without the political will to have a tax rate similar to Oakland and Wayne Counties, this is just talk.

Cosmogrl
Username: Cosmogrl

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.221.92.86
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb County is actually very nice in the upper areas (Macomb Township and Shelby) I grew up around here and I love it.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 652
Posted From: 68.42.220.37
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's nothing wrong with Macomb county that could be fixed with 30 megaton airblast 50,000 feet over Sterling Heights.

<== grows more bitter by the day.

(Message edited by ray on March 25, 2006)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 60
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I'm sure many would say the same about Detroit. Many Detroiters would say the same about OC. It's great how humans can co-exist, isn't it?

Perhaps we should nuke the entire metro area and start over.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 659
Posted From: 68.42.220.37
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the proposed 30 megaton airblast over Sterling Heights, while not militarily optimal (10 miles too far north, east) would in practical terms be sufficient to accomplish your objective.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1922
Posted From: 4.229.150.26
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too live in Macomb County (SCS). And yes it is a cultural wasteland.

But those of you who live in Detroit do not have bragging rights for culture. Yes most of the institutions are right here in Detroit.... most of the attendees are NOT from Detroit.

Macomb County and Detroit share a cultural void in common... Compared to Oakland or Washtenaw counties Macomb County and Detroit both should hang their collective heads in shame.....

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3438
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 5:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, because Oakland County is such a cultural mecca, right? I must be missing something.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3318
Posted From: 70.233.4.119
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh, im right near the Pantry...some of the best breakfasts around.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks in Macomb Co. want to have a nice bedroom community with no hip hop culture involved. They want to tax rates down and create a " Pleasantville" setting for future middle income families. And they want to keep it that way.

is that a problem?

Cosmogrl
Username: Cosmogrl

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OC is stuck up SUV drivers who think they are better than everyone because they have a Beemer. Why are people so shallow? Yeah Macomb County is not too slick. But come on people, don't be so uppity! BTW there are plenty of wealthy people in MC! And there is a lot of nice housing that is affordable. If you want culture Detroit is not so much the place for it anyway. And that means anywhere in the Metro Area.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1923
Posted From: 4.229.105.196
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan.... I posted about how dumb it was to label Macomb County folks as being somehow culturally depraved.... there's enough depravety to go around. This whole thread took a streotypical turn to pointlessness early on....

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1501
Posted From: 68.40.28.148
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

OC is stuck up SUV drivers who think they are better than everyone because they have a Beemer. Why are people so shallow?

Yeah, why would someone judge other people on such superficial things such as the car they drive?

Jimelnino

Post Number: 374
Posted From: 68.61.118.126
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, the amount of stereotyping in this thread is incredible.

Let me tell you about my weekend, I hung out Downtown yesterday (The Woodward is fantastic!), saw a movie in Sterling Heights, ate at the Pantry this morning in Warren, and then spent all day in Ann Arbor for the film festival. And you know what I have to say about it all? The Metro Detroit region kicks ass!

And for the record, I drive a Dodge Stratus :-)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3440
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'd have to drive something, because there is no other option at the moment to get too all of those places. :-)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 26
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God Bless Jimelnino! Detroit kicks ass!

Jimelnino

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 68.61.118.126
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, sadly the Downtown->Sterling Heights->Pantry->Ann Arbor subway loop has yet to be constructed.

One day though....one day :-)

(Message edited by JimElNino on March 27, 2006)

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyway, Detroit should be worried about changing THEIR image, nothing wrong with Macomb County

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2993
Posted From: 68.252.68.120
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo:

quote:

anyway, Detroit should be worried about changing THEIR image, nothing wrong with Macomb County

Keep an open mind. This City and its inhabitants fight an uphill battle but in the last ten years there has been quite a change in attitudes.

It's rare that I'm now faced with the question "Why would you live there?". For many years that was the first question I heard. Enjoy your move, it's a beautiful part of Michigan, but don't disparage those of us that see the beauty here.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 133
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh I dont disparage anyone from seeing the beauty in Detroit, I can see it. I just dont get the finger pointing at OC and MC when there are so many worse problems in Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.