Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Emery King « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cosmogrl
Username: Cosmogrl

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.221.92.86
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I guess he is not doing anymore documentaries for channel 4 anymore? He just kinda dropped off the face of the planet.

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also found it funny when everyone was calling this guy a "class act" when he got fired. I worked as an intern for channel 4 and trust me, what you see on T.V. is not who this guy is. He is beyond arrogant. If you saw some of the stuff I witnessed it would be no surprise to anyone why he got canned.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 826
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why he got canned by the networks...is it not?

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For being a arrogant snot? Ya. That and I'm sure a lot more.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2083
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, don't keep us in suspense. Clue us in. Give us factual examples of his arrogance and some of the things you saw that would give credibility to his being shown the door. Don't tease like that and leave us hanging.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 140
Posted From: 24.208.234.52
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did he and Ruth have something going on?

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 24.192.124.221
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see him on TV all the time as a mouthpiece for the DMC. Figured he could have lined up a Nuzi position by now.

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 70.237.10.37
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I really don't want to flame him. Let's just say he needed this wake up call. What goes around, comes around.

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't wanna get sued either....LOL

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He knows me and if he read this he would be more than pissed...LOL. Although, it's not defamation of character if it's true...hehe.

Miss_flow
Username: Miss_flow

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Maryann Mahaffey tribute luncheon on Friday at Cobo and he was the emcee of the program.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2092
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cosmogrl, not that I'm doubting your stories here at all but realize what you're doing here. You're claiming an individual isn't a pleasant person without offering any sort of facts or even personal accounts. You're insuating a lot here (again I'm not saying it's true or not), but realize that anyone can go around making all sorts of accusations of people but without any back up- it's all for nothing. You started the thread and yet leave us all in the lurch without anything substantial to even discuss. If anything you ARE flaming him here.

It's awfully unfair of you to stand back anonymously and fire off these things without any repercussions. If they're factual, then stand by them. To do other wise is irresponsible.

Anyone of us here can easily start up a thread saying cosmogrl is this that or the other thing and fill it with rumor, innuendo and lies. So please either back it up or back it off with these Emery King tidbits.

Again, I'm not saying whether you're not telling the truth or not but realize what it is you're starting with all of these cloaked words & stories.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 550
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Smogboy,

This thread was getting real tired.

later - naturalsister

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 853
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This must be OLD NEWS...

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 890
Posted From: 69.14.27.21
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 8:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was hired as VP of Communications for the DMC.

http://www.dmc.org/cgi-bin/vie wnews.pl?doc=1123158659

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1239
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, Cosmogirl, how many documentaries do you think he should have cranked out since last spring? Seems to me that each documentary takes months of research, interviewing, gathering artifacts, location shooting, and editing before it can air.

Being in journalism, I would think you'd be aware of just how much work goes into a documentary.

From Rochelle Riley's column dated 3/19/06:
"Emery King gets it. The former news anchor and current independent producer plans to host four televised town hall meetings, beginning this spring, as well as a follow-up documentary on race in southeast Michigan. Detroit Public Television will air the town halls, which have been planned since King cohosted a race forum on Mackinac Island two years ago."
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060319/OPI NION02/603190326/1122

Beyond that, he does have his day job, plus he is in demand as a speaker and emcee.

Here's one of his upcoming events:
"The May 4 Lem Tucker Journalism Scholarship and Speaker Series event begins at 6 p.m. Emery King, an Emmy award-winning broadcast journalist who now serves as director of communications for the Detroit Medical Center, will be the event's keynote speaker."

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2402
Posted From: 66.167.58.14
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some quotes I was reading this morning.

"Be careful of the toes you step on today; they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow."

"Think twice before burdening a friend with a secret."

"Your are as sick as your secrets."

"If you aren't taking anti-aircraft fire, you are not over the target."

Smogboy

Post Number: 2095
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great quotes Lowell. Thanks for reminding us every now & then about being responsible for the words we utter here in a forum such as this. Sure, we can do it anonymously and without an relative repercussions, but what does it say about the person writing them?

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Smog, I understand your points. I should not have started this thread. I just felt compelled to say something because of my personal experience with this individual. I do not wish to go into detail about the whats and whys. In my opinion, that would be worse. But I do understand your mistrust of someone posting anonymously. I being a journalist, must do this. As for the docs, I talked to a manager at channel 4 who said he is not working on any at the moment. So, that's why I posted that original comment. All I was saying is that just because he landed on his feet and has some speaking engagements and whatnot does not mean much. I just found him to be not the kind of person personally that I think has very much integrity. But I will end my thread conversation on this issue here.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2406
Posted From: 66.167.58.14
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then as a journalist, you you must understand why you might be questioned as to your sources and motives. To post derogatory comments about someone with no substantiation amounts to, well, libel.

As a journalist, you must also understand how your claim, made from behind your online anonymity, that he may have done something wrong and your impuning his integrity could call you more into question than Emery.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2099
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, maybe I'm not a journalist and maybe I'm missing something here. What's this compulsion to say something just because you're a journalist? I thought journalists were people who reported on the news and really try not to slant it one way or another or even worse, have a personal bent or a vendetta to it.

Cosmo- with your first comment about Emery King not working at WDIV I can live with. That can be substantiated (a simple phone call to WDIV & voila!). Your subsequent posts about his character stepped beyond journalism and into a personal opinion of the man.

Again, for all I know he very well could be an arrogant SOB and everything you say is true but it became personal. And I've always been taught to at least question everything that I read and I hope you didn't take it personally when I questioned your motives here either.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 827
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the incident where Emory King used a profanity, on air no less, in berating a coworker who had politly asked him a simple question. It seems Emory was unaware that he was on live television.

It's not such a leap to infer from such an incident, that the guy is an ass.
So comes Cosmogrl, who had first hand experience working with the man...and her integrity gets called into question. Thats the Detyes i've come to know and love.
You have to admit, the people who like this guy will never accept, and question the motives of, anyone who posts a disparaging word about him.

I have no doubt that Cosmogrl would get ripped to shreds by the pro-Emory sect on this forum even if she offered some specific concrete examples. Don't be lured into thinking otherwise

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not writing a story. I'm posting. So that's different. It's my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I agree Eastside. No matter what I said I would get ripped by the "Emery fans." Even if I told you what I knew.

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is one example he used with me...."I don't need to do that because I'm Emery King." Remember it's not libel if it's true.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right, Cosmogirl, you shouldnt have started this thread. I havent learned anything I didnt know before.
This television market elevates its news anchors to the heights of stardom, so it doesnt surprise me that King would say

quote:

"I don't need to do that because I'm Emery King."

just substitute the name of most any of the other news gods.

But hell, I feel the same way about myself in the artworld around here!

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2666
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The balance of what happens to an anchor has also to do with his/her public persona as well.

Emery has distinguished himself in a market that is somewhat unforgiving to Black journalists, much less Black Anchors.

His reporting has been direct and to the point, while always being professional. King also has dared to speak out on matters that werent right, publicly and behind the scenes.

In contrast, Bill Bonds is still widely loved and revered, even though he was an asshat on TV.

People loved his direct style and basically, the way he went after Coleman Young, reflecting the sentiment of the white flight crowd.

Emory's style reflected the Black middle class in the Metro area- Professional, direct, and a player in the evolving story line of Detroit's future.

Bill Bonds' style reflected the White middle classes as they migrated out of the city- diffident to the problems of the growing Black influence, suspicious of Black Political power, and increasingly insular as double standards emerged for a White Detroit and a Black Detroit.

I am not an Emory fan per se, but I have seen the good work that he has done in the community, and for other journalists- white and black.

Every newsperson has their faults and we could begin a list with many others. Should we be so engaged such a diatribe? I could begin but, "I don't need to do that because I'm Zulu Warrior."

Remember it's not libel if it's true, but you are liable for the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1241
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for the docs, I talked to a manager at channel 4 who said he is not working on any at the moment.

Per the Rochelle Riley column that I previously mentioned, Emery is working on a documentary that will air on Detroit Public Television. So I would not presume that WDIV management is privy to everything that he has in the works.

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 68.73.7.153
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The other night, Ed Love mentioned Emory's father (back in Chicago) "as a good friend of his". Is his father a local celeb in Chicago? I didn't catch the context of Ed's comment.

BTW- Eastside, are you "hate'n" on Emory because of one incident you saw on television?

(Message edited by NIP on March 27, 2006)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 554
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps personally Emory is a jerk... but how does that mean he doesnt have integrity?

Webvomit
Username: Webvomit

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 69.242.214.91
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You worked as an intern?

I worked at Channel 4 for a number of years, and worked with Emery in a few different capacities. There were few reporters at the DIVe I'd rather work with.

You might have confused his "This Is All Bullshit" attitude with arrogance. He and Devin were the most down-to-earth anchors I've ever met.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 334
Posted From: 69.209.177.125
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True WV,

I think Emery's attitude may have been perceived as "arrogant" if he felt he was above the nude-golfing investigations and other tabloid garbage. Maybe Mr. King was fed up with WDIV taking advantage of his status as a professional journalist and outright using his abilities.

The same goes for Devin Scillian--he's lately mildly impressed me on Flashpoint w/ his grasp of issues.

Flippant, sure. Arrogant? I doubt it.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 553
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, I was on a Cedar Pointe trip with a church group some years back. Emery was on the trip as well and he really seemed like a very nice man.

Had a chance to be around him for hours on the bus trip as well as at the park and I was really surprized to hear that he was supposed to be some jerk.

later - naturalsister

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His father is not a local celeb. He lives in Hobart, Indiana. That's how well I know Emery. And that's how I know he does not have integrity. I knew him on a personal basis. I don't like him anymore. I once did. But now he is trash to me. That's all I have to say.

Cosmogrl

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL. I think he just blocked all my calls so I think he read this board. Woops.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cosmogrl,

How many of your 25 posts have been about Mr. King?

later - naturalsister

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 207.148.213.218
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good grief, if they could fire people for being "arrogant," there would be no job market. The kid who made my sandwich for lunch today had a chip on his shoulder. This chick makes no sense.She clearly has some ax to grind with someone she may or may not even know. How do we know she ever worked there? How do we know she's a journalist? She keeps shooting herself in the foot every time she writes something.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I saw the incident where Emory King used a profanity, on air no less, in berating a coworker who had politly asked him a simple question. It seems Emory was unaware that he was on live television."

Connie Chung was the anchor he snapped at.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.