Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Renaissance Center Tours « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 68.42.175.57
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone on the forum been on one of the tours of the Renaissance Center? Well, for the most part the tour is enlightening and very well intentioned. The tour guides (i've been on two tours, each with a different guide) know a good deal about the building... mostly post-GM takeover. But the funniest part came when we took the elevator ride up to the top of the hotel tower. There we were all informed the "white tee-pee out thataway" is Chene Park. The tour guide also told us that the big chairs in Coach Insignia were donated in memory of Lily Tomlin who has died of cancer. (This came as a shock to me... and I imagine would come as a shock to Lily Tomlin, who is alive and well) I made a comment to my friend that it was Gilda Radner who died of cancer, and another participant of the tour quickly corrected me and told me "No No, it was Lily Tomlin that died". Beyond that, on the elevator ride back down, I was informed by the tour guide to "Remember to always swallow!" I'm assuming this was in reference to the pressure change... She also informed us all that the Ambassador Bridge is the longest international suspension bridge in the NORTHWEST.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 350
Posted From: 68.42.176.190
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How does one go about going on a tour of the Ren Cen, are cameras allowed?

Mcpd1300

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cameras are allowed, and more info is here...
http://www.property-website.co m/sites/82/live/newsevents/ind ex.jsp

(and for those that hate links...)

Complimentary 1 hour public tours of the GM Renaissance Center are offered Monday thru Saturday at 10:00 am, 12:00 pm, 2:00 pm and 4:00 pm. Meet in the Wintergarden at the Information Desk.

Private group tour arrangements can be made by contacting Kim Rusinow at (313) 568-5624 or kim_rusinow@hines.com.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 351
Posted From: 68.42.176.190
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks mcp

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 333
Posted From: 69.209.184.101
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, well at least they didn't confuse GM HQ with Ford HQ---or did they?

Sounds pretty frustrating.

Blessyouboys, not a fan of dumb people.

Mcpd1300

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, no... they were pretty clear about it being the GM World Headquarters. When we were up on the 72nd Floor, we were literally behind the big GM logo on the top of the tower, and the tour guide suggested we tell our friends that we "stood behind the GM logo", lol... subtle hinting...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2085
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least somebody stands behind GM! Ouch!

And I can only imagine how the friends & family of Lily Tomlin must feel if they were to take the tour. Double ouch!

I've always thought the inside of the RenCen to be fascinating albeit very very confusing to get around in. I can't imagine being a business there and expect people to find me easily.

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since GM bought it, it is now much easier to find your way around. When they were making it easier, that was a different story with walls popping up without notice. The circulation ring has made it much nicer.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2093
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That circulation ring- is that where they changed up the colors of the tile to help centralize the layout? I've been going in & out of that building for years and still have some difficulties findng my way around.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1240
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Sunday, March 26, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been on tour RenCen tours, both last summer. One tour was given by Kim Rusinow, who heads up the tour guides; the other was named Lori. Never heard anything like the comments you heard. Both were very professionally done with lots of interesting information. I take notes when on such tours, and walked away with some detailed info on the building, its decor, and the GM renovations. Also enjoyed the opportunity to take some nice photos from the Coach Insignia level as well as other areas of the RenCen.

mcpd1300: Direct your comments to Kim Rusinow; I know that she would be interested in what her guides are saying, especially if they are providing information that is not accurate.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.