Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Formal African Dress? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 206.48.100.146
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could someone here please give me direction where I might find a formal African dress for a young woman? My wife and I are hosting a 20 year old Kenyan woman and her father and young sister who will be visiting and attending a charity event here in Michigan next month. This 20 year old woman is from a remote Kenyan village and her family has very little money. This a formal affair and I would like to buy her a nice dresss--preferably Kenyan fashion. I would like to give this business to a Detroit based business. Thanks.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2673
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Shrine of the Black Madonna

Livernois at Davison.....

Or Massaba's (sp) on Grand River at Washington Blvd. This one is nicer, and has more of a selection (Ms. Zulu Warrior loves it!)

Docmo

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Zulu. I will check it out once she arrives from Kenya. A little different than our last interaction here, huh? Thanks, again.
docmo

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2677
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, March 27, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol @ docmo....

The forum is about diverse ideas, and we all grow from the interaction. It may seem personal, but its not- its about the idea and expression.

Thanks for the opportunity to grow, and I hope you have learned as well.

Sonqoba Simunye!

Marcnbyr
Username: Marcnbyr

Post Number: 641
Posted From: 68.43.13.13
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can second going to Massamba's in the Book Building, I have been in there many times, even though it wasn't for clothing. I was buying some Senegalese incense as a Christmas present for a very special someone, and while they were out of that particular kind, the woman who runs the store promised me that the next time they were able to get some they would (aparently a trip to Chicago was needed). Sure enough, just in time for Christmas, they had it for me. I didn't buy it in bulk-just one small jar, so the fact that they went to great lengths to get it for me really impressed me. I was in there probably four times over a period of three months, but everytime I walked in to check up, they knew my name, why I was there, and greeted me with huge smiles (and apologies for not having what I wanted). This was a year ago, and the few times I have run into the proprietor since then she still remembers my story. My only regret is that my limited, student budget doesn't allow me to shop there more often....they have some beautiful hand carved artwork that I would love to have. All in all, an absolutely wonderful place.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 555
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, By Sharone @ Mel and Associates on Woodward 5 blocks or so South of the Blvd.

She's American, but does traditional/formal garments from many African nations.

later - naturalsister

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3554
Posted From: 68.73.55.74
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there such a thing as "formal" Afrikan dress? Go figure ..... on some misplaced Euro thought processes!!

Black-atcha ..... shaking head and roflmbao @ the thought of traditional now being FORMAL; kinda like Schittlin's being a delicacy, eh?

Docmo

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin
Screw you. I want to purchase a nice dress for a poor young Kenyan woman for a "black tie" event held here in Metro Detroit. I am very confident she will be very appreciative of my desires. Yes, I do believe there are formal traditional African dresses and everyday traditional African dresses. When there is a State dinner at the Kenyan Embassy here in the USA or in Nairobi I am very sure that many of the women attending where "formal" African style dresses.

Your post is a pile of crap. I am trying to do something nice here and I have to read your racist crap. Again, screw you.

Thank you very much to Zulu, Marcnbyr and Naturalsister. I very much appreciate your help in this matter. I will first be taking my Kenyan guest to Massamba's while also checking By Sharone @ Mel and Associates and maybe traveling out to Livernois and Davison. I am very much looking forward to spending this day in Detroit looking for a nice dress and exploring the City with my Kenyan guest. This young woman has rarely traveled beyond the very remote western Kenyan village she was born in. She has never traveled beyond the Kenyan borders. This visit to the USA will be an incredible experience for her.

Rasputin, would you prefer my wife take this young African woman to Twelve Oaks and buy her dress from Marshall Fields? You have misplaced African thought processes. Your post reflects very poorly on your character.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it is a "black tie" event. Why don't you buy her a formal "black tie" event dress so she fits in. Maybe she will take it home and talk about how she dresses up like the people of the country she just visited the way a lot of us do when we vacation in foreign countries.

Why don't you ask her what she wants to wear instead of pretending she is you own life size Africa Barbie?

Naturalsister

Post Number: 557
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docmo,

Please do me a favor and disregard these insensitive posts by our fellow forumers.

They're being the best people they know how.

later - naturalsister

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just saying "when in Rome....."

Docmo

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Naturalsister. I wish I was better at disregarding insensitive posts. Your advice is appreciated. Unfortunately, a couple of these posts are quite disturbing.

Brian, you know nothing of this woman. I do. I have stayed in her home. I have slept on her father's dirt floors. I have drunk the well water she personally drew for me. She and her family treated me as an honored guest. I have now invited her to our home also as an honored and appreciated guest.

Your incorrect presumption of me parading her around as an African Barbie is repulsive and demeaning. Yeah, I know you meant to demean me, but you got a barb into her also and I am a little pissed by your insensitivity.

So, Brian, if you happen to know a nice store with East African women's fashion, please let me know. Otherwise, bug off.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 431
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docmo, your charitable efforts and promotion of this cross-cultural exchange are amazingly admirable. I hope that your friend's visit exceeds her expectations.

As for the posts above from our amerikkan insurgents, I hope that you recognize and forgive the pathology behind the words.

Docmo

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Swingline.
The cultural experience for me was incredible. The people where I traveled to treated me so warmly. I am sure my friend will be impressed by the many good and generous people of Detroit.

I appreciate this forum and I have learned much about Detroit, including our diveristy and, at times, our distinct differences and problems. This was a sensitive subject for me. Sorry for my defensive replies. I probably would have been better off heeding yours and Naturalsister's advice. Thanks. I still have that week off to explore Detroit and its surroundings as a tour guide for my guest. It should be a blast for all of us.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DOCMO, racism comes in many forms and, unfortunately, some folks don't believe they are racist because they are African American, a mind set that only white folks can be racist.

Ignore the jerks, I applaud your efforts to treat this young lady to some luxuries she may not otherwise enjoy. Treasure your time with this young lady, continue to learn and enjoy time spent with her. When we learn about each other, regardless of the race, we resolve the racism issues. This is the only way these horrible, long lasting, damnable issues can be resolved.

Naturalsister

Post Number: 559
Posted From: 70.234.76.81
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post Pamequus.

later - naturalsister

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1944
Posted From: 4.229.81.105
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Docmo, do let us know the outcome of your endeavor, and good luck!

I have taken foreigners on tour of our city many times in the past. It is a rewarding experience!

As far as the armchair idiots who post here, it's easy to get your blood pressure up with moronic remarks. Here's a tip I try to follow against getting upset, remember this phrase.... "the person who angers me controls me."

Rasputin

Post Number: 3563
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda strange that the MoFo had to "sleep on a dirt floor." especially, when that is TRADITIONAL ... mayhaps he shoulda tried to figure out why he didn't sleep in a hotel!! (oh, I know ... he needed to value the experience ... schiiiiiit!)

Learn the difference between Euro Formal and Afrikan TRADITIONAL!! and STOP disrepecting Afrikan people with your institutional cultural/classist biases. The woman is not YOUR EXOTIC show-off!! A "red carpet" Armani gown, with appropriate accessories, would be in order for YOUR European "BLACK-TIE" event. Go figure ....

and btw: None of the stores/shops mentioned above feature FORMAL Afrikan wear/attire, but do sell TRADITIONAL outer-wear.

Black-atcha .... watching one who's INSTITUTIONAL racism shines through

(Message edited by Rasputin on April 02, 2006)

Docmo

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 63.172.63.153
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin,
Simply put--you are an idiot and also a racist. As stated in an earlier post, you know nothing of this woman or my relationship with her and her family or even what our formal fund raiser represents. Just be nice and shut up. It is none of your business.
docmo

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4756
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look who's got his Depends in a bunch this afternoon...

Same old angry, racist bullshit. But, I guess, that's par for the course.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 651
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone explain to me why Lowell allows Rasputin to post on here??? In clear violation of the rules Lowell has set??

Lowell?? Anyone??

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 878
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does anyone on this forum even read, let alone respond to these lame unintelligent simpleton racist posts? They make no sense anyway. Simply look at the left hand column, see the name "Racistputin" and just skip over it. It's that easy...

BTW, congrats Docmo on what you're doing - something that racists are not capable of...

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 288
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hear, hear . . . Kraw, MotorCityMayor, NaturalSister, Swingline, PamEquus and other sensible, sensitive souls.

I second MCMayor's motion for Lowell to eject Rasputin, or at least delete his ad hominen attacks that are like spray-painted slurs marring our community.

Lastly, I join the chorus of respect for Docmo. Your visitor is fortunate to know you.

As it was in the beginning (One love!)
So it shall be in the end (One heart!)

Cliched, but true.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8317
Posted From: 67.71.58.27
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin, the person is trying to understand African culture and you berate him/her for it. If he instead chose to sleep in a hotel (as you suggest) you would have berated him/her for that too.
I know that you enjoy getting people in an uproar but I guess until all people of various colours and ethicities are seperated by chain link fances you will never be satisfied.

BTW: I guess Zulu Warriors INSTITUTIONAL racism got him too?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3899
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motorcitymayor2026,

Lowell and Rasputin go way back since the Cass Corridor days. What Rasputin is trying to do is get American people especially the African American race to WAKE up and smell reality for it bites. Rasputin is writting the absolute TRUTH about the constant data that the White race is doing to themselves in U.S. and to other ethnic people around the world. He had gains some terrific data from has history is either correct ot wrong. What he does to his research is after he gather some data about a any historial and political figure, find out if it HISTORICALLY CORRECT to his POV and the others, and post it on this forum. But most of you people in this forum had read of Rasputin's POVs and understand it by replying your POVs. But some of you who read " The Mad Monk's" posts for it is truth by data and recived it, but believe it is it LIE! then you called it a LIE! and it consider it to be disrepectul for you didn't see the truth beyond the ingnorace. Rasputin will continue to post his pollitical correct data not by his words but the the words of political freedom fighters who risked their own lies so that mankind can live free.

Pamequus

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HUH???

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 732
Posted From: 4.229.69.204
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is there such a thing as "formal" Afrikan dress?"

Yeah, traditional Kenyan clothing would be a more apt descriptor. Africa is a continent full of millions of different peoples and nations and races. I hate when people talk of it like its a singular populace with a singular culture.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3901
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pamequus,

Please read my WSU College based English work that I have posted and you will understand.

Pamequus

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think I'll pass Danny........

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 437
Posted From: 172.164.21.129
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ras just can't help himself. Rather than a gentle reminder to an obviously well-meaning individual that the term "traditional" rather than the term "formal" is more appropriately used to describe most non European/American-style African dress, he was compelled to highlight the supposed racism in the initial post in this thread. Even a week later Ras is still on the lookout making sure that we know and understand the insensitivity and racism in the dirt floor comment. Clearly he has no respect for the original poster and justifiably so, right? It is plain racist and disrespectful to Africans to not educate oneself about every single nuance of African culture.

But strangely enough, I find myself questioning Ras' wisdom on this issue. The reason why is because in my culture, English is my mother language. It is important to me that English is spoken and written as correctly as possible. Yet often I see Ras using English improperly. Has Ras disrespected my culture? If Ras cannot find it within himself to speak and write English correctly, is he a racist? I don't think so but maybe I should get more sensitive to these things.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3568
Posted From: 68.73.55.74
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline ... for 1, I really don't give a fukk about traditional English because I'm not in England and folks in Amerikkka speak a bastardized versional conglomerate of almost every other language in the world. Please read a dictionary; it might do the mind good; especially since you actually have no language, contrary to your mother's ignorance. Go figure .... or ask the English.

Docmo & Motorcity whatever .... kiss my Black Ass!! better still, take a flying leap off the Ambassador Bridge wearing concrete drawers.

and btw: "The road to Hell is paved with 'white folks', so-called, good intentions for people-of-color!"

I repeat:

quote:

A "red carpet" Armani gown, with appropriate accessories, would be in order for YOUR European "BLACK-TIE" event. Go figure ....

and btw: None of the stores/shops mentioned above feature FORMAL Afrikan wear/attire, but do sell TRADITIONAL outer-wear.

Black-atcha ..... still watching the ignorance flow and some white folk try to make others fit into THEIR cultural asili.

(Message edited by Rasputin on April 03, 2006)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 735
Posted From: 4.229.24.25
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"folks in Amerikkka speak a bastardized versional conglomerate of almost every other language in the world"

We are definitely the mongrel nation. Postmodern bullshit ripoff exuse for culture at times, I agree.

ELVIS - WAS A HERO TO MOST

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 444
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taken from an article about the arrest of the Liberian president appearing in today's NYTimes, we can gather that when someone from Africa wants to look pretty serious, he or she wears western clothing (see final paragraph):

"Former Liberian President Charles Taylor pleaded not guilty Monday before an international war crimes tribunal, denying 11 counts of helping destabilize West Africa through killings, sexual slavery and sending children into combat.

Taylor at first told the court he could not enter a plea because he did not recognize its right to try him. But he went on to tell Justice Richard Lussick ''I did not and could not have'' committed the atrocities that allegedly occurred during Sierra Leone's civil war.

The court accepted his comment as a formal plea of not guilty.

Taylor, wearing a dark suit and maroon tie, spoke calmly and slowly."

Fec
Username: Fec

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If memory serves me correctly, formal wear is determined by particular colors. Anywho, Docmo is on the right track by learning what's what when she arrives. Please respond back after your [and some] "learning experience". I'm anxious to hear how your venture turned out!

Happy Shopping!

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2201
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in east Africa (former Peace Corps Volunteer) and when someone was formally dressed they wore western style clothing (men suit and tie women a nice dress). Or women would wear a traditional African print dress with head dress ala JoAnn Watson.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big ups to Swingline for hitting the bull's eye with restrained, respectful, understated, on-target irony.

quote:

strangely enough, I find myself questioning Ras' wisdom on this issue. The reason why is because in my culture, English is my mother language. It is important to me that English is spoken and written as correctly as possible. Yet often I see Ras using English improperly. Has Ras disrespected my culture? . . . I don't think so, but maybe I should get more sensitive to these things.

He staples softly, but with a sharp point, our Swingline. Well-said.

Ooops, was my use of "hitting the bull's eye" insensitive to animal rights? .

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8320
Posted From: 67.71.58.27
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

N. American culture is a mongrel culture. Just look at "american cheese" for instance.

But I thought the road to heaven was paved by people with good intentions.

Rasputin

Post Number: 3578
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, ILD; the Cutural Asili is NO DIFFERENT in West Afrika, the vestiges of Kolonializm and the impact of Euro Neo-Kolonializm ..... as I wrote earlier; INSTITUTIONAL RACISM & IGNORANCE ABOUNDS up in here!!

Black-atcha .....

Gistok

Post Number: 1951
Posted From: 4.229.90.67
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMWAO as Ras is trying to shake off the influence of European culture..... which permeates nearly every aspect of the western world (except for JoAnn Watson's hats).

Also methinks his Elizabethan mockery gets a tad stale.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

methinks his Elizabethan mockery gets a tad stale.

Forsooth, why confine thyself to halting there, kind Gistok?

Methinks a stale aroma suggests more is rotten than said outcast's literary pretensions, agree ye not?

Gistok

Post Number: 1952
Posted From: 4.229.90.67
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Realitycheck.....

To quote Curly Howard of the 3 Stooges when his brother Moe asked him "would'st thou be moiderin' the King's English?"....to which Curly replied "I would'st if I could'st!" :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on April 04, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.