Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Gunman identified in I-75 chase, shootout at Bluffton-area store « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Devolian
Username: Devolian

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.246.43.54
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gunman identified in I-75 chase, shootout at Bluffton-area store

http://www.toledoblade.com/app s/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200603 28/NEWS03/603280412/-1/rss

This is what happens all too often when a bright, ambitious young boy is raised in inner city Detroit. After reading the article you think of Donti Henry as a hardened criminal who you wouldn't even think of having contact with.

In fact, I knew Donti Henry well for the last six years of his life. Donti organized and produced a local Detroit rap group and released a couple of albums. I worked with him regarding his marketing/distribution, specifically his website. I got to know the legitimate side of Henry as well as the illegitimate.

Henry was an extremely ambitious man wanting to capitalize on every opportunity that came. Unfortunately, the first opportunity he capitalized on was the drug trade which seemed like the most lucrative market out there. He worked his way up the ranks by providing excellent product, reliability and price. Over half of everyone Henry knew from High School had been killed for one reason or another, whether that be drugs or guns. Detroit schools are a mess, and the smart kids get caught up in the easy game of drugs quickly.

A drastic culture change is necessary in Black Detroit if things are to change. I can’t blame it entirely on Black Detroit though; I also blame the suburban kids who creep the neighborhoods in search for drugs. I also blame the Bush Administration for keeping the money in the suburban schools. The fact of the matter is we have an epidemic problem on our hands between urban and suburban.

Donti Henry, born into a Rochester Hills neighborhood, going to Rochester Adams, would be an entrepreneur that would do amazing things – a protégé to businesspeople everywhere. Unfortunately on March 25th Henry came to a poor life conclusion. Faced with a second cocaine conviction, Henry decided to escape his life illegitimacy in Detroit and create a new identity in Ohio. He obtained false information to try to create an identity in Ohio. Faced with the reality of a great many years in jail, Henry came prepared. He wasn’t going to jail. I feel bad for the two Ohio troopers hurt in the shootout and I feel bad for Henry. It’s sad his life had to turn out the way it did and it’s sad Detroit had to turn out the way it has.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 864
Posted From: 66.184.29.148
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't kid yourself with the part if he was born in Rochester Hills he would have had a rosey life. There are plenty of fucked up people there too.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, you can only blame society so much for someone "coming prepared" the way he did. It's always someone else's fault when you pull guns on the police.

And if he was running from his troubles in Detroit, why did he only make it to Northern Ohio? Damn boy, drive a little further.

(Message edited by focusonthed on March 28, 2006)

Devolian

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The haves always think that everyone has and the have nots are all too aware of what they don't have and whateveryone else does have. By virtue of being white you already have birthrite advantage that no black person can ever have in western society. Further being born to a middle class society instills, through nothing else but habit, the necessary mores that detroit, a subculture, lacks.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 865
Posted From: 69.14.125.129
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Devolian

....By virtue of being white you already have birthrite advantage that no black person can ever have in western society. Further being born to a middle class society instills, through nothing else but habit, the necessary mores that detroit, a subculture, lacks.

You assume I am white, you assume I was born middle class, you assume i grew up in the burbs....

Devolian

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I wasn't specifically talking to you, it was more of a general "you."

I'm making generalizations. Of course not everyone is the same. I'm using the raw statistical data that we base everything off of.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 65.29.97.102
Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People don't grow up wanting to be drug dealers and die in a shower of bullets, but it happens to some people. Some groups find more of their children growing up around drugs and guns than other groups. Some groups have greater educational, financial, and other resources to combat these problems or simply remove themselves from these problems.

Asking that people be more responsible, simply labeling people as crazy, or lobbying for more police officers on the street address none of the problems that cause groups in cities like Detroit to produce more drug and gun related crimes.

The great gap between rich and poor, white and black, higher education and poor education in a matter of blocks between Detroit and the suburbs have obviously had an impact on the number of kids who grow up to commit or die of drug and violence related crimes.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 432
Posted From: 24.192.148.150
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh exactly.. What about the school scare in Rochester Hills? Did you even think about that when you posted that?

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 69.216.108.32
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the first paragragh...."This is what happens all too often when a bright, ambitious young boy is raised in inner city Detroit."

In the last paragragh....."Donti Henry, born into a Rochester Hills neighborhood, going to Rochester Adams, would be an entrepreneur that would do amazing things"

I'm speechless

Mw2gs

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what was the fucking point of posting a dead man's photo? I could see if he was wanted but this man is dead. Hmmmmmmmmmm......If he wasnt a black male would his photo have been posted?

Gmich99

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what Devolian is trying to illustrate with the life of Danti Henry is that his situation or other situations like his, ambitious and capable people going astray, are more frequent in impoverished areas and that the frequency can be reduced given a more equitable distribution of the country's resources.

Mw2gs

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You honestly believe that? Puleeeaaaase

Is Rochester Hills some "impoverished" area? I've never been up there so I dont know.

Is this available in "impoverished areas" listed for $999,777 at homes.com
http://www.homes.com/Content/L istingDetail.cfm?City=ROCHESTE R%20HILLS&State=MI&FirstRec=1& Radius=0&Bedrooms=&FullBaths=& MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&PriceRange =&AmenitiesList=&PropType=%20& TotalRecs=58&PropIdList=122299 44,37549529,37632512,35804430, 30364949,37223055&PropId=37549 529

Gmich99

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mw2gs-

I think you may have misread his post. He is saying IF Danti Henry had grown up in RH than the outcome of his life would have been different. Donti Henry was a Detroiter. Does that make more sense?

(Message edited by gmich99 on March 29, 2006)

Mw2gs

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes no sense because the poster states "Donti Henry, born into a Rochester Hills neighborhood, going to Rochester Adams"....help me to understand. Isnt Rochester Adams a high school.

Gmich99

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know the high schools in Rochester Hills, may have been a mistake on the specific high school, but the line you quoted in its full context is reading that if Danti Henry had been born into Rochester Hills (infered) and had attended a Rochester Hills high school as opposed to Detroit, attending a Detroit high school, he wouldn't be dead as a result of a shootout. I think you might be missing the message.

Mw2gs

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you may be fudging the original written message. You're adding qualifiers to change the original post and give it a different meaning. It doesnt read that way.

Gmich99

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, didn't expect to have to do this, but here it goes and trust me this is only because I want you to fully understand this and not because I want to draw it out. The following is the message and everything noted by an * is what I've added for clarity.

Donti Henry, born into a Rochester Hills neighborhood, going to Rochester Adams, would be an entrepreneur that would do amazing things – a protégé to businesspeople everywhere. *That is what he would have been but instead...* Unfortunately on March 25th Henry came to a poor life conclusion. Faced with a second cocaine conviction, Henry decided to escape his life illegitimacy in Detroit and create a new identity in Ohio.*He was from Detroit and because of this he didn't live a sucessful life that a city likeRHs would have offered*

Do you get it yet?

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 141.213.217.188
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Rochester, a 16 year old Adams High student was just put on trial for stabbing his mother hundreds of times until she died. She was a counselor at the school. I'm from Rochester and only a few years older than this kid. And I know a lot of kids who sympathize with him.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060314/METRO 02/603140333/1009

Shit happens everywhere to everyone, folks.

Gmich99

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it does. Shit ahppens more in some places than others. The Sudan isn't comparable with Detroit in the same way Detroit is not comparable to Northvile. Lets keep apples with apples and oranges with oranges. Just because a couple bad things have happened one place does not put it on par with a place that has had thousands of bad things happens.

Devolian

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow I never knew my post could be mis-interpreted as much as it has been. Come on people, I'm generalizing people here. I'm not being racist or prejudice. I'm telling you how it is. Of course *IF* Donti Henry had been born in Rochester Hills there would be a chance for him to fall astray. A chance for anything is possible. Walk into a Rochester, Novi, Northville, Farmington, Plymouth, South Lyon, Troy, etc. High School and then walk into a Detroit High School. Tell me which student has a better chance of succeeding in life. The dropout rate for High School students in Detroit is 50%, and other estimates put southwest Detroit at a staggering 86%. Now, look at Rochester Hills. The dropout rate is less than one percent.

Gmich99 seems like he is the only one here who understands the point I was trying to convey in my post.

(Message edited by devolian on March 29, 2006)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 561
Posted From: 69.246.0.197
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see your point Devolian and I'm sorry about your friend, but I'm not sure I agree. I attended DPS from k - 12, and was indeed exposed to some negatives. The beautiful thing about life though is that we are always able to excercise free will. DPS is not nearly a death sentence, me and my group mostly all went on to college and graduated.

I will however say though, suburban schools currently do offer a better curriculum (sp). I've always felt that when a person is in their teens is when they need to be exposed to a wide variety of things.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 439
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua: are you male or female? I ask because Sunday's New York Times had an op-ed that mentioned that African American women, public school products, have very different life-paths from their male counterparts:

By Orlando Patterson, professor of sociology, Harvard:

"...So what are some of the cultural factors that explain the sorry state of young black men? They aren't always obvious. Sociological investigation has found, in fact, that one popular explanation — that black children who do well are derided by fellow blacks for "acting white" — turns out to be largely false, except for those attending a minority of mixed-race schools.

An anecdote helps explain why: Several years ago, one of my students went back to her high school to find out why it was that almost all the black girls graduated and went to college whereas nearly all the black boys either failed to graduate or did not go on to college. Distressingly, she found that all the black boys knew the consequences of not graduating and going on to college ("We're not stupid!" they told her indignantly).

SO why were they flunking out? Their candid answer was that what sociologists call the "cool-pose culture" of young black men was simply too gratifying to give up. For these young men, it was almost like a drug, hanging out on the street after school, shopping and dressing sharply, sexual conquests, party drugs, hip-hop music and culture, the fact that almost all the superstar athletes and a great many of the nation's best entertainers were black.

Not only was living this subculture immensely fulfilling, the boys said, it also brought them a great deal of respect from white youths. This also explains the otherwise puzzling finding by social psychologists that young black men and women tend to have the highest levels of self-esteem of all ethnic groups, and that their self-image is independent of how badly they were doing in school.

I call this the Dionysian trap for young black men. The important thing to note about the subculture that ensnares them is that it is not disconnected from the mainstream culture. To the contrary, it has powerful support from some of America's largest corporations. Hip-hop, professional basketball and homeboy fashions are as American as cherry pie. Young white Americans are very much into these things, but selectively; they know when it is time to turn off Fifty Cent and get out the SAT prep book.

For young black men, however, that culture is all there is — or so they think. Sadly, their complete engagement in this part of the American cultural mainstream, which they created and which feeds their pride and self-respect, is a major factor in their disconnection from the socioeconomic mainstream."

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 562
Posted From: 69.246.0.197
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black male

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 292
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And what was the fucking point of posting a dead man's photo? I could see if he was wanted but this man is dead. Hmmmmmmmmmm......If he wasnt a black male would his photo have been posted?"

Whoa, take off the tin-foil hat, it's not a racist consipracy. This man shot TWO police officers, people who shoot cops tend to get their pictures in the paper, regardless of what their color is. This was a very high profile crime in Ohio, did you expect them not to publish a photograph of the perp? Did they stop putting photos of Scott Peterson in the paper after he was caught?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9970
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This guy wasn't a victim of society, he was a victim of the game. A game that MOST of society chooses not to play. In return, they often get to live a long and fullfilling life instead of worrying about who is gonna cap you because you stepped on their feet along the way.

Wow, blaiming Bush, way to go. Was Detroit just all fine and dandy on Clinton's watch? Did the DPS and city fall into shambles after Bush was elected, or has it been happening for decades, regardless of who is in the White House?

Devolian

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua, I'm glad everything worked out for you and your friends but statistically it's only a minority that graduate and goto college from Detroit Public Schools.

Supersport, I'm blaming Bush because of "No child left behind." This is yet ANOTHER step in the wrong direction.

Warriorfan, I agree with you. Took the words right out of my mouth.

The whole conclusion of Henry's life is sad, and just tragic.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 567
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there's a gap between educational opportunities between majority white and majority black neighborhoods. But another important (and seldom discussed) gap at play here is the "perception gap." Statistics from the Gallup Organization routinely show a disparity in perceptions about education.

When asked how their education compares with white students, black students overwhelmingly say white students get a better education.

When asked how their education compares with black students, white students have much more divided perceptions about the quality of education for black students.

I sort of feel that, despite such well-intentioned efforts such as NAACP's "Image Awards" and others who successfully campaigned for positive portrayals of African-Americans on television, the result is that half of white America thinks being black is like being on The Cosby Show.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.