Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Does Metro-Detroit Have Anything like this....? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 295
Posted From: 70.229.196.246
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over in cleveland, they have the Weatherhead100:

http://www.weatherhead100.org/ default.asp

Which basically showcases and promotes small businesses with excellent growth. Or, per the website:

Since its inception in 1987, the Weatherhead 100 has been the event that showcases the fastest growing companies in Northeast Ohio. Qualifying companies must show consistent growth over the last five years. The Weatherhead 100 list--objectively determined annually and highly regarded throughout the region--is a testament to hard work, commitment, innovation, and the dream to succeed.

L_b_patterson

Post Number: 298
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump?

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1349
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does Metro-Detroit Have Anything like this....?

foil

I don't beleive so. But I know that Bilboa Spain does...

foil-bilboa

As well as Los Angeles...
foil-la

Gogo

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just spotted one in Chicago too...

foil-chicago

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 69.220.68.19
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

toledo has an earlier version:

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that Gehry or arbitrary?

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1372
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is that Gehry or arbitrary?

Aren't those two terms the same thing?

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1509
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to the educated.

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Toledo composition is a great example of 'architecture as sculpture'.

It seems that there is a little bit of repetition and lack of freshness in a lot of his work lately.

Danindc

Post Number: 1373
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention his boldness in blatantly disregarding the context of the building. Much better to preserve one's ego....

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 269
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gehry has redesigned the Art Gallery of Ontario, and for the next few months the AGO is also running a Gehry exhibit:

http://www.ago.net/navigation/ flash/frameset.cfm

I must admit the redesign of the AGO is not very exciting, although I recall that donor politics played a role in what he was able to do.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's Detroit's answer:

scrap metal

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1510
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not to mention his boldness in blatantly disregarding the context of the building. Much better to preserve one's ego....

You mean the context of ... a hillside?

Danindc, sometimes I think you are a mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a retard.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the original topic: does Metro Detroit have an organization that showcases and promotes local small businesses with excellent growth?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1349
Posted From: 64.148.226.17
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there was, would they have anything to promote?

Couldn't resist, but Minneapolis has one too. The Weisman Art Museum at the University of Minnesota:

weisman

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1086
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.. I guess we need to get on the bandwagon and start buying up aluminum foil... or our region will never succede..

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1935
Posted From: 4.229.81.34
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not a big fan of Gehry's work at first, but I've learned to appreciate some of it (Bilbao and LA). But the big question is.... when does innovative become merely repetitive?

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boston and Seattle also have Gehry "objects" (extensions of his ego).

Crain's publishes a book of lists, lists of top companies in the metro, etc. Don't think they go beyond just publishing.

Inc 500 makes a list of the fastest growing 500 in the country. You can search for the ones in Michigan. http://www.inc.com/resources/i nc500/2005/ The 9th fastest growing company of 2005 was Arbor Networks, based in Lexington, MA but with all of its r&d in Ann Arbor (if you couldn't tell by the name).

(Message edited by Tomoh on March 29, 2006)

L_b_patterson

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks tomoh, for being the first one to come close

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1511
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the deal on the Gehry architecture ... like it or not, it showcases a company's (non-profit's) ability to think forward, and the acceptance of it in a community (vs. ridicule as evidenced often here) reflects the openness and adaptability of a region.

Detroit was, once upon a time, very cutting edge in its architecture. We've got structures by Yamasaki, van der Rohe, Saarinen, Noguchi, Wright and others ... built at a time when at least a small portion of people here expected the best of contemporary architecture.

Now? If someone proposed a project by Richard Meier, Frank Gehry, Santiago Calatrava, Zaha Hadid or any of the other "starchitects" out there currently, you can pretty much bet on outrage and lack of support from the community ... even if the financial/business community would support such a project.

You think it's coincidence that the DIA revamp is designed by the Michael Graves group? You have his appearance at Target to thank for that. It was the safest way to guarantee this area would accept big-name contemporary architecture.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1353
Posted From: 64.148.226.17
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In defense of the Minneapolis Gehry building, it was built long before the Bilbao and LA pieces and long before Gehry was a household name.

Also in defense of Michael Graves, the DIA expansion and renovation is no where close to the creativity that is typical of Michael Graves. Something happened there behind the scenes to cause the final design to be something that most new architecture graduates could have come up with. The Target Corporation headquarters in Minneapolis, while not having a "wow" factor like a Gehry, is still a very nicely designed building that has a great deal of architectural detail and a lot of human scale features that make the building and surrounding public areas very interesting and playful. The DIA expansion might have a "starchitect" on the renderings, but it doesn't represent the starcitect's soul or creativity.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree about the DIA, Bvos, although I do think Graves is past his prime in terms of his architecture, and that is reflected in the relatively generic design that turned up at the DIA (which is still very Graves-ian in its details).

The same thing happened with Philip Johnson's Comerica Tower - it's a pretty "safe" design, like a lot of his later work.

Even if we did get a Gehry, it would probably end up being just a brick square with a slightly asymmetrical titanium "hat" on top. It all gets so toned down here.

I think the effects of architectural excellence in the city would reverberate further than people expect. As much as people might bitch and moan about things needing to be contextual and "blend in" with the surroundings, if we got something like the new Rem Koolhaas-designed library in Seattle, I think people would embrace it. Especially when they saw how it changed the way the rest of the country looks at you. Instead of "ignorant backwater" the perception is that your city actually gets it. Frankly, even some compelling contemporary architecture by an unknown architect would be welcome, and signal a significant shift in this region's mindset.

Gogo

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DH4H - The Seattle library is great. Very very ugly on the outside (just my opinion), but still very well designed with amazing interior spaces. When they were constructing the YMCA and I saw how ugly it looked outside (just my opinion), I had hoped it'd be as well designed as the Seattle library on the inside.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 981
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitchamber.com/ docs/detroiter/Future_50.pdf

Not really what you're looking for, but in the ballpark I guess.

Danindc

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gehry's designs are getting generic. Big deal--a big crumpled piece of stainless steel posing as a building. How is it possible that the concept happens to "work" in every single location for every single purpose? One-size-fits-all, my friend, is bad architecture.

The Corcoran Gallery of Art has proposed an addition to its campus in DC, to be designed by Gehry. Let me guess what kind of POS he's going to foist on the Ellipse.... My guess is it looks not unlike any of the "innovative" shit he's done dozens of times over and again.

Modern American architects can sure design interior spaces, but are almost completely incompetent with facades. It's a building--not a work of art.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1516
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's a building--not a work of art.

Or is it ... ?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.