Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » What's taking WB20/Tigers so long? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 468
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opening Day is like a week away and still no deals. I mean, we're the only team not televising Opening Day. That's just sad. Work it out!

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1614
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There will not be a deal.

However, Fox Sports said they will televise opening day.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1714
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have bad news for you genesyxx. There aren't going to be any games on 20. The TV deals are what they are. The only TV there is going to be was announced a few weeks ago.

Tiorted
Username: Tiorted

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 141.217.55.103
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit News staff and wire services
The Tigers decided Tuesday to end negotiations with TV20, which stood to televise a package of "free" TV games similar to the block of telecasts that once aired on Channel 50.

"We were notified today by the Tigers that they opted not to move forward with our proposal," said Sarah Norat-Phillips, TV20 general manager. "I hate saying all is lost, but they're not pursuing our option."

"Both sides tried their best, but we just couldn't reach an agreement," said Duane McLean, the Tigers' senior vice president for business operations, who said the Tigers would continue to pursue TV options for 2006.

Unless another local carrier is found -- Channel 50 has already said it will not be involved -- the Tigers will be limited to 112 telecasts on FSN Detroit. That will be the least number of games televised by any major league team.

Lynn Henning, Rob Parker
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060329/S PORTS0104/603290320/1004/SPORT S

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 622
Posted From: 136.182.2.221
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still a lot more televised games than number of wins combined over the past few years. Tiger's fans aren't missing anything!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 630
Posted From: 65.221.183.120
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's sad - baseball on TV for free is a long tradition.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 639
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That will be the least number of games televised by any major league team. "

That is pathetic. Kansas City, Tampa Bay, and others get more TV time than the Tigers??? Tampa cant even fill 1/4 of its stadium up regularly

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1309
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very pathetic.

At least going to games is a nice experience. If they're in the hunt I'll be spending a lot of time and money down there. I don't think any thursday home games are on tv, and we can only count on ESPN to broadcast about 2 or 3 of our games over the entire year, unless we are in first place.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 642
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no thursday home games...damn..all the friday games are on tv, but i have tickets to all friday home games...ugh

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they are almost all (if not completely) thursday afternoon games, which traditionally aren't televised. We ain't no Chicago, that's for sure (in reference to WGN's coverage.)

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 268
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think I would miss the reduced number of games last year, but I was surprised by how many times I wanted to watch the Tigers on a given night and ended up being pissed off because the game wasn't televised.

Classic case of not realizing how much I miss something until I don't have it.

(Message edited by rjk on March 29, 2006)

Correctone
Username: Correctone

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 68.42.152.51
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the question you have to ask yourself is WHY no local station will carry the Tiger package of "over the air" games? ...why did WDIV drop out a few years back? ..why did WKBD drop the broadcasts? and why Channel 20 could not make a deal this year?...the answer is simple, the Detroit Tigers are too greedy.

channel 20 worked all day this past Monday with The Tigers to find someway NOT to lose money doing the broadcasts, what it came down to is the Tigers wanted Channel 20 to pay all production costs of about $40,000. per game which would have been ok..HOWEVER the Tigers wanted most ALL the ad spots giving TV 20 only the lead-in and a couple other spots, also channel 20 would have to carry Tiger Weekly for free.

no way could channel 20 sell it's few spots and charge the advertisers more than the production costs and therefore lose money which no business can do.

if channel 20 is to blame then so is all the other stations that also can't afford to lose money for the prestige of broadcasting The Detroit Tigers.

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 69.14.45.237
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The situation is bad, but at least it's not as bad as it could be. The Chicago Blackhawks' home games aren't televised--their ownership seems to think people will be more likely to go out to the games in person if they can't get them on TV. The effect it has, I believe, is just the opposite. So at least we get 112 games on TV, some of them home games.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2138
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a group that runs the Red Wings like a premier franchise, the Ilitches are really failing to market the Tigers. The Wings already have a firm fan base. The Tigers are failing miserably and need to be marketed a little more aggressively- a free sample to the fans here in town couldn't hurt.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 829
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah...Chicago Blackhawks owner Bill Wirtz. Low attendence a few years ago prompted him to kill all Blackhawk home games from local TV. He turned what was a great hockey town into a indifferent hockey town. Ilitch would never be so foolhardy...but he ain't close to savy either.
Let's not lose sleep over this non-deal...the Tiger organization is yet again setting themselves up for failure. A slow start for the tabbys, with limited TV exposure...when the 'Stons and Wings are just taking off, means they become irrelevent by the first of June.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilitch is classless and has ruined the Tiger name. The Wings are also a second class organization covered by the fact that they are good, and some of the players show class.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 144
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

baseball is sooooo boring, *yawn*

Smogboy

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku- explain to me how the Red Wings are second class. Who else in the NHL do you compare them to?? Before the days of the NHL salary cap, they were free spending- the Wings did whatever it took to win the Stanley Cup. Hate them for winning and spending (ala. New York Yankees) but I can't see how they would be considered second class in any way shape or form.

When Ilitch bought the Wings, they were horrendous. He wisely invested money there and built it up to be one of the premier franchises in the NHL AND won their most cherished trophy three times. Despite what we think of the Ilitch franchise with respect to property management, their feeble investment in the Tigers, their pizza chain, and Lord knows what else, their one corporate asset in their hockey team is hardly second class.

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 155.139.50.15
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second class?!? How so? Must not be a hockey fan, huh?

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 345
Posted From: 69.209.181.87
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha,

the "second class" comment was a joke right?

The Red Wings are the premier franchise of the past decade in the NHL, and along with the Canadiens and Leafs, are on top in history.

This fact's been bolstered by the new salary cap era of the NHL, where the money dried up, but today the Wings still hold on to the best record in the league. Ken Holland is often regarded as the top GM in the NHL.

Many of our star players were spotted by the organization's top scouting dept. and drafted late in the final rounds. (i.e. Fedorov/Lidstrom/Zetterberg/Da tsyuk)

You can't really make an Illitch sucks argument for the Wings, sorry, The Tigers, however, probably looks a bit different.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7137
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That stinks for the senior citizens on fixed incomes and the children of poor families.

Baseball is a dying sport in the US (not dead by a long shot but dying) and this will just add to the lack of interest in the sport regionally.

Remember when every baseball field you drove by in the summer had a game (city and suburbs). Drive around this summer and you will see a lot more empty fields on a beautiful summer day/night.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2998
Posted From: 129.137.201.142
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get used to it. More and more baseball teams are refusing to show any of their games on free television anymore.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could hardly say baseball is dying, even in the US. Seems every time I drive around my area April through August there is baseball going on.

The key is having a good little league organization in a given town. Nonetheless, there are plenty of kids around that still play pick-up ball.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, though, that this is killer for old-timers who really love baseball but don't have cable, and for poorer families.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 421
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little off-topic, but my gut instinct says within 25 years, all pro sports will be pay-per-view. You heard it here first. (And you'll still get commercials with the PPV.)

Smogboy

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936- I can see it happening in one sense and then I can't with regards to the pay-per-view. I think sometimes that locally teams still have to generate some sort of interest within their hometowns by giving away SOME of their product on free TV. They don't have to give away many free games for the viewers to watch, but just enough to tantalize them to come down to the ballparks & arenas or to purchase cable. I think it's smart marketing on their parts and that's why so many people here are up in arms about the Tigers not releasing the Opening Day game- it's already sold out, they've already got the TV revenue for it and yet they won't show it to the masses. Stupid stupid marketing on the Ilitch organization with in regards to this game right now. And with a team that has performed so miserably over the last few years, they still have a somewhat loyal fan base but to totally ditch some free TV games is just going to alienate a few more of the loyal folks.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1288
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do realize there are other baseball teams who do not have a free broadcast deal. All the games are on Cable. Some even make their cable channel a premium channel such as NY.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FSN Detroit is a premium channel on both the Satellite packages....5 a month.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2161
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Yankees have a phenomenally good product for now. While I think they should probably put a few freebies out there from a marketing point of view, they're already making a mint for Steinbrenner. The Tigers, on the other hand are supposedly losing money left and right and could use as much interest in their product as possible.

Newman
Username: Newman

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 192.152.100.150
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Red Wings are far from being a second class organization.
However, Ilitch is a piece of shit for what he has done to my beloved tabbies. I am still livid that they have never given Sparky the respect he deserved. Really, as much as I love and respect Willie Horton, is Sparky not as deserving of a statue and a number retirement.
I still remember Sparky day in 2000. About 3000 fans in the stands on a Sunday afternoon in early April. Sparky showed class for even showing up.
I don't need a debate about whether or not Captain Hook was a good manager, but the guy did give 17 years to the city and still has a commitment to the community through his CATCH charity.
The Tigers should be ashamed for what they have done to the fans!

Mj64
Username: Mj64

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 141.211.48.211
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the thing about free sports on TV for me -- it makes it more likely that I'd actually attend a game. I don't watch a ton of TV, but I need cable because I'm just west of Ann Arbor and over-the-air reception is lousy. So I'd like to get a basic cable subscription, but to watch the Tigers and the Wings I have to buy a higher level package to get FSN. If I watch a bunch of games on TV, I'll probably want to see a game in person once in awhile. If I don't see the games at all because I don't have cable at all or don't have the channel the team is on, then I probably don't think about it as often.

I see sports going more and more to cable. Nothing wrong with that -- but if you're a team that has trouble filling the stands on a regular basis, then I think there's no better way to market your team than to put them on free TV where as many people as possible can see them.

Chitaku

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's bull that sports are on cable. I know for a fact it has hurt the Wings this year. The Pistons know what they are doing showing a majority of games on tv20

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESPN: 4th in division 72 wins
MSN: 2nd in division 84 wins
YAHOO: 4th in division 63 wins

Dtwphoenix
Username: Dtwphoenix

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 70.190.215.201
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to defend a certain someone, but if I wanted to sell seats for certain home games I wouldn't televise them.
If I were the tigers, and weekend home games were already well attended, I might only televise weekend home games and road games.
fri,sat,sun home games: ~40
road games: ~80
total = 112 games (sounds about right)

Maybe more people will spend an evening downtown and take in a game if they can't see it on tv.
Though it would be nice if some of those 112 games were on free tv.

Chitaku

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing is no body cares about the Tigers because the product has been terrible for 10+ years. The Red Wings are a good team, so people like them. They are still somewhat of a half-ass organization. The Tigers were just as proud of an organization as the Red Wings are regarded today, and stand along the lines of the Yankees and Red Sox. But when a whole generation of kids has grown up with a losing team theres no explanation needed as to why kids don't play baseball. It breaks my heart to see what Ill-itch has done to my tigeys. I still sport the classic circle tiger logo as my background to remind me of the glory days.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2217
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People DO still care about the Tigers. But if they keeping bringing forth a lousy product, the fan base will shrink just because even the most loyal of fans will be that much more selective of their games to go to. The Lions team has stunk it up for the longest time too and yet they still consistently sell out just because their fans only have so many games to go to. Baseball has an extremely long season compared to the football schedule. Our entertainment dollar can only get stretched so far nowadays.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.