Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Some Competition for Coleman Jr. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 66.174.79.230
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My name is Ron Liscombe, and I have recently announced my campaign for State Representative for the 4th District. I am running a campaign of ideas and proposed solutions to the challenges facing Detroit and Michigan today. I am running on an actual platform, not a name.

A major plank of my platform consists of repairing the rift between Detroit and our suburban neighbors. I firmly believe that we must come together now to address regional issues as a region, or we will drift further into an economic abyss. For instance, in 1950, St. Louis was the 8th largest city in the country, and today it is not even in the top 50. I cannot, as a native Detroiter, allow that to happen to my beloved city.

I also intend on sponsoring legislation that will allow Detroit and the state to start to dig out of the economic black hole we are currently in. A part of that plan will take some money from the MEAP scholarships currently offered by the state and put it on the back end in the form of a subsidization of student loan repayments to keep educated young people in the state. The reason for this proposal is that Michigan faces the challenge of keeping educated people here, not getting them to go to school here.

I need for people to talk about this race and my candidacy because I am facing big name opponents. I am committed to proving that Detroit votes on the substance of the candidate, and not the recognition of a name.

I am running a campaign blog, at www.liscombe4staterep.blogspot .com. Please review my proposals and feel free to comment on them. Also, please tell your friends to review it as well.

Thanks for the assistance. Let's all come together for a Greater Detroit.

Ron Liscombe....From Detroit! For Detroit!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7109
Posted From: 4.229.99.85
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron - Welcome to the forum. I am looking forward to hearing your ideas. Anyone that does not run on name recognition is facing a hard time in the city but that gives me all the more reason for me to listen to your ideas and your platforms.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 143.132.200.19
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone is for Detroit huh?, but how many politicians actucally care once the pay checks and perks start rolling in.

A lot of names are running and may be from Detroit, but you think I'm going to vote for them because he or she says there from Detroit too. Its about the issues and I hope the politicans pay attention to Detroit more because we need help. We seem to get the bad end of the deal because we are the ones suffering. We vote and expect there to be some type of change for the better, but we are faced with the same issues every election.

No offense to you Ron Liscombe, but I hope you stick around this forum. Detroit has a lot of caring citizens who want to see Detroit do better. I say to you welcome, and if you get into office, keep posting on the forum. I hope you not doing this for political gain and then not come again. A lot of people use Detroit name for personal gain and then forget about us.

I think a lot of people are paying attention to this forum because I believe it is drawing a lot of interesting people and attention. You almost think that DetoitYes! may be an upcoming political party for people who want to run for office in Detroit.

A lot of politicians may mean well, but how many actually get anything done? Every four years we are faced with the same issues because nothing is getting done. I vote, you vote, they vote, we all vote and then I wonder the person I(we) voted for was really telling me the truth or they just wanted to get into office.

I find it very interesting that some people think that Coleman Young,Jr. is just running on his name or because his father was a state senator and mayor. Has anyone actually sat and talked with him? I believe he care just like any of us about Detroit. I also believe that most candidates do, but who really cares after election day.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1352
Posted From: 64.148.226.17
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron,

The regionalism thing might be your campain's death blow. I've found folks in Detroit just as anti-regional as folks in the 'burbs.

Folks in the burbs say they don't want regionalism because then they'd have to have black folks telling them what to do and it also means black folks would probably starte moving out to the burbs in larger numbers. This is just your average white, suburbanites view on things (to anyone on this board who wants to disprove me, go ahead. Prove that I'm wrong on this viewpoint).

Folks in Detroit are against regionalism because they see it as a suburban (ie. white) land and power grab. "This is 'our' city and it ain't a plantation. Don't tell us how to run it" is what Joanne Watson and Barbara Rose-Collins would likely say.

I wish you the best in your campaign. If I lived in your district I'd definately vote for you over the carpet bagger. I currently live in Rosedale Park and have a carpet bagger for a State Rep. who ran on his dad's name. Just goes to show you that no matter how "smart" your district is percieved to be, folks still vote on a name amd hysteria, not on the facts.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1351
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maureen Stapleton is also running for 4th district. She has lived in the 4th district most of her life. She has been actively involved in the community and has a lot of experience.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 769
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

------------------------------ ------------------
Folks in the burbs say they don't want regionalism because then they'd have to have black folks telling them what to do and it also means black folks would probably starte moving out to the burbs in larger numbers. This is just your average white, suburbanites view on things (to anyone on this board who wants to disprove me, go ahead. Prove that I'm wrong on this viewpoint).
------------------------------ --------------------
wow, way to make a HUGE generalization, then challenge everyone to prove YOU are wrong. Prove you're point. I've never heard anyone say that. If anything, more of the people advocating regionalism are from the burbs.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 770
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to get off topic there. I look forward to hearing more from you, Ron.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 67.38.87.62
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Liscombe For State Representative: From Detroit, From Detroit! "

Ron, you might want to fix the headline on you webpage to match you slogan!

Ron

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 66.174.79.227
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

I would just like to respond to some of the postings on the forum.

To 3420, I have every intent on sticking around the forum after election day. I find the feedback both interesting and constructive. While it is true that I have joined this forum in order to garner support for my campaign, I did so because I want to make this race a dialogue about the future of Detroit. I look forward to hearing ideas from all of the forum members about the best way to solve the issues facing us. I recognize that I do not have all of the answers, and want input from all concerned citizens.

Also, I understand your concern about politicians getting elected and not getting anything done. That is why I am running. I do not intend on running for any other office after this one. The reason I am running now is because "To he whom much is given, much is required." I have been blessed to have experienced the best Detroit has to offer, and merely want to give something back to my city.

Regarding Mr. Young's candidacy, I, too, believe that he cares for the city, and I have no doubt that he will go far as a politician. What I do question, though, is his preparation and understanding of the problems facing Detroit. Mr. Young was raised in California, and just recently moved here to attend WSU. At his campaign announcement, he indicated that his work experience includes working at Subway, working at an auto parts store, working in construction, and helping his mother. Detroit is losing 10,000 residents per year. If something is not done soon, our shrinking tax base will not allow even the most basic of city services. At this time, we cannot take a gamble like that.

Another point, Mr. Young has implied that he would like to be Mayor of Detroit one day. Keep in mind that people who wish to make a career in politics become beholden to the special interests because these campaigns take a lot of money to run. I do not intend on running for any other office, so I will not be beholden to anyone.

Bvos, I understand that conventional political wisdom says that you must campaign on a "go it alone" platform. I also understand that that type of campaign only helps to get politicians elected, both city and suburban, and does not get anything accomplished for their constituents. It is time for someone to stand up and say that we must stop this madness. I also understand that we are perpetuating a debate today that is no longer the debate from 30 years ago. Today, Detroit is losing black, middle-class residents. Why keep talking about Detroit vs. suburbs; it is no longer an issue of black and white. Today, it is those with money and those without money.

I have no intent on giving away any of the city's assets. I do, however, intend on extending a hand to our suburban neighbors to attempt to repair the strained relationship we all know is causing problems. We are so busy fighting each other that we are losing jobs to other states and countries. We must, as a matter of survival, cooperate to make the Detroit area more conducive to doing business in order to create more jobs. Most Detroiters recognize this.

Gogo, it is true that Ms. Stapleton is also running. I encourage each of you to look at her website in order to make an informed decision. I also ask that you take a look at her page entitled "Issues facing the community." It is under construction. Again, this is the problem; No one is running on issues. We all know the issues facing the community; what are the solutions? While I understand that I don't have all the answers, I do know that I am the only candidate floating ideas on how to solve our problems.

Finally, Thnk2much, thanks for pointing out the typo. It has been corrected.

Finally, thanks to everyone for the welcome to the forum.

Let me also pose this question to forum members, what do you believe would be the best way to address the economic hardship facing the city and state today? Look forward to your feedback.

Thanks. Ron Liscombe....From Detroit! For Detroit!

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 430
Posted From: 172.129.217.22
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anybody list the announced candidates for the 4th State Rep district? How large is the field getting?

Gogo

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron - I don't mean to dis you since I really don't know anything about you, but you may have ideas, but Maureen is actually out there working, not just floating ideas. Her main page encourages visitors to come back as it is a work in progress.

Besides being an attorney, what is your involvement in the community?

Ron

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 66.174.79.229
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gogo,

I appreciate your concern and attention to this race. It is citizens like yourself who represent the future of our great city.

As for my experience, I am a former precinct delegate in the neighborhood I was raised in, in NW Detroit. This experience showed me that it is very difficult to accomplish change if the "powers that be," who have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo, don't want change. (As an aside, I was raised in NW Detroit, but have lived the majority of the past 8 years in the downtown/4th District area)

I also worked for many years at the Black Caucus Foundation of Michigan's Drug Free Youth in Detroit program, working with young people to provide them viable alternatives to the dangers of drug use. The young people I worked with were some of the most talented and creative people I know, and truly were examples for us all. They challenged me to be a better role model, and a better person.

I was employed for four years in a variety of capacities in the Work First program. I actively worked with people to assist them in developing job skills to make them more employable, and assisted them in obtaining employment. I was also the director of the Workforce Investment Act fiduciary department, that disseminated funds to schools, and measured their progress, in training and employing at-risk populations. This experience showed me that many of the training providers who were poltically connected managed to get away with providing low quality service and continue to receive city funds.

I have served on the Advisory Committee for NW Detroit Weed and Seed, a program administered through the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Michigan. Weed and Seed is committed to "'weeding' out negative community influences, and 'seeding' in postive community services."

I also served on the Board of Directors of the Sphinx Agency, a corporation that provides work-related programs and services for at-risk populations.

These are but a few of the activities I have been involved in over the past several years. On a personal note, I went to law school because I recognized that the law is the only means for the powerless to have power. It is the only means to level the playing field between the "haves" and the "have-nots." The great legal victories of Thurgood Marshall changed the landscape of American history. It was this history that was the main motivation for my decision to enter the legal profession.

While I appreciate and understand Ms. Stapleton's history of service, as I mentioned, it is dangerous to elect an "insider" if you want true change. Again, existing "power brokers" have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

I represent a change in the direction of Detroit. A change in the direction of what is good for us all, not a limited group of people who support me as a candidate. For instance, the people who are supporting Ms. Stapleton are Sheila Cockrel's people and Mr. Ficano's people. The people supporting Mr. Young are the Greektown folks. What are they getting in return for their support?

Detroit is losing 27 residents per day. We have lost about 100,000 residents in the past ten years. This has been occurring since Ms. Stapleton has been involved in government. In 1922, Detroit was, per capita, the richest city in the world. Today it is the poorest big city in America. This has been occurring while Ms. Stapleton has been involved in government. What has been accomplished?

While I may be floating ideas, these are ideas that I WILL sponsor when elected. Again, these are proposed solutions to the challenges facing Detroit; no one else is proposing any solutions. For instance, I propose studying auto insurance companies' profit margins, on a per capita basis, for insuring a Detroit resident over a suburban resident. If they are turning a higher profit by insuring Detroit residents, then their rationale for higher rates in Detroit holds no water. I also intend on statutorily mandating that the profit margin realized for insuring Detroit residents and suburban residents is the same; and capping total profits for auto insurance companies at approximately 13%, so that when insurance companies lower their costs, we realize a corresponding decrease in premiums. (By the way, I am sure this proposal will have many $$$ flowing into my opponents campaign's from the insurance companies; again what do they expect in return?)

I look forward to hearing some innovative ideas from all of the candidates. This will allow the citizens of the Fourth District to truly make an informed choice on August 8.

Thank you for your interest in this race and for your input.

Gogo

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron - I suggest you focus on your strengths rather than Maureens weaknesses. From my encounters with her she represents anything but the status quo. While making a career out of being involved in the political process can often be a weakness, it does not seem to be so for her. In fact, for a term limited office like state rep, I would think that some sort of political experience would be helpful so that time is not wasted on learning the ropes. Maureens experience with elected officials says to me that her learning curve will be shorter than someone without that experience.

Two questions/comments pop to mind after reading your platform...

(1) In regards to city/suburb relations, is this a problem you think is being created at the state representative level? I don't really see many of Detroit's state representatives playing the race or city/suburb card when they run for office. In fact, many of Detroits state reps chastised Detroit city council for their comments regarding the zoo as it made their work in Lansing much more difficult. Is this really an issue that we are seeing in this position? The biggest issues with race relations and the city/suburb relation is within local governments, not really our state representatives. I don't really recall Mary Waters telling the crooks to hit 8 mile or evoking memories of plantations. Those seem to be reserved for the buffoons within our local government.

So is this really an issue for this position or just an imaginary one? Seems to me that while this is an issue in city politics, it does not play a role in state rep races and would make you guilty of using race as an issue, just as you critize other politicians of doing.

(2) I agree 100% on your repopulation platform, however I don't think the state legislature has the power to determine city property taxes. Correct me if I'm wrong. Again, good platform, but is it really within the capabilities of the office you are running for?

Ron

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 66.174.93.101
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gogo,

I appreciate your feedback. To address your issues, I have to say that, while you are correct that much of the city/suburban tension does arise on the local government level, the legislation that enhances the divide between city and suburb is entirely sponsored at the state house level.

While I am not using race at all in this campaign, I am campaigning on the fact that we, as Detroiters, can extend a hand to our suburban neighbors and say, we understand that we have had our differences in the past, but it is time for us to forgive and move forward as a region. That would be the Christian way. This can, in fact, only be done on the state level as municipal leaders only enact law that affect their municipalities.

I am running on this issue because it has been heavy on my spirit for many years, and I think it to be a timely issue provided the fact that much of our recent success in coming together for the Super Bowl has been diminished by the zoo and water department issues.

I also think it timely because too many of our politicians get elected by playing the "race" card, but, as I stated in an earlier post, it is no longer an issue of race. Today, it is an issue of money. Additionally, that campaign strategy does nothing to improve the quality of life for their constituents.

The fact is, that while the issue of our regional relationship has not been a factor in state house races, it is certainly a factor when you consider that all of the legislation that has been proposed, and some of which has been passed, emanates from the state level. (See Detroit Water Legislation, Detroit Recorder's Court legislation.) While state house races don't raise the issue of regional cooperation, the act of legislating on a state level certainly deals with the issue. And to point out, I believe that the issue of regional cooperation has not been an issue in state house races for the simple fact that these races typically don't garner much media attention, rather than the fact that it is not an issue. It is an issue, as noted above.

With respect to me pointing out my strengths over Ms. Stapleton's weaknesses, I was simply trying to highlight the differences between candidates. I also point out that people typically support candidates because they expect something in return.

I am running on a platform that addresses the issues facing Detroit and the 4th District, which I consider to be my greatest strength.

Additionally, I previously worked for two state representatives, so I am aware of the learning curve you speak of. I also have great respect for people who dedicate themselves to public service. Again, the issue is what is best for us to move forward. I am confident that I have enough of a "fresh perspective" to think "outside of the box" when crafting legislation to address our issues as a city and legislative district. Again, as you can see, I am proposing my ideas and inviting feedback on them. I understand that I don't have all the answers and want to involve citizens in that process.

With respect to the property tax issue, as I'm sure you are aware, there has recently been legislation passed on the state level that would lower property tax rates for particular neighborhoods in Detroit. I believe that the legislation was entitled Neighborhood Enterprise Zones (NEZs). The difference between that legislation and mine is that my proposal would offer a city-wide tax cut for people who purchase
a home, provided that they actually live in the home. Less than half of Detroit residents own the homes they live in. This is due, in large part, to the cost of property taxes. We must create an environment where people have a vested interest in their communities. Too often, this does not occur if you always know you can move when your lease is up.

So, long story short, the issue of local property taxes can be, and routinely is, addressed on the state level.

Thanks again, Gogo, for the input. This is exactly the type of campaign I wish to run, with a "give and take" conversation with my future constituents.

Ron

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 772
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For instance, the people who are supporting Ms. Stapleton are Sheila Cockrel's people and Mr. Ficano's people.

Just curious, but what do you mean by "Sheila Cockrel's people?" Has she been endorsed by the Councilwoman?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1360
Posted From: 66.238.170.38
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jfried, you said:

"Wow, way to make a HUGE generalization, then challenge everyone to prove YOU are wrong. Prove you're point. I've never heard anyone say that. If anything, more of the people advocating regionalism are from the burbs."

I'll just name two names as a start to my list: Craig DeRoche and LB Patterson.

Ron,

I wish you the best on your regionalism platform. It sounds like you have though it out, but be prepared to answer some heated questions and dispell popular myths about the issue. While it makes complete sense to you and me and we see it as a survival issue to this city and the region, it doesn't make sense to most folks in the neighborhood.

Just like mass transit in the suburbs, regionalism has been spun and spun to the point that folks don't really know what it means. Your average person in Detroit, when they hear or see the word "regionalism", they automatically think the take-over school board and the bills to take-over the water dept. They don't think of a real transit system or equity amongst cities.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1080
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron---I don't see you listed in the April 2005 Bar Journal Directory. Hopefully, your name will appear in the April 2006 edition. Are you a recent graduate? Is you office located in Detroit?.

Ron

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Forum,

I want to take the opportunity to respond to a few of the questions from today.

Susanrosa, my understanding is that some of Ms. Cockrel's former staffers are assisting Ms. Stapleton on her campaign. Additionally, Ms. Stapleton's brother, Jim Stapleton, a VP of the Tigers, is Ms. Cockrel's finance manager. I don't believe that there has been an official endorsement, and doubt if anything official will occur. The support comes in the way of organization and fundraising.

Bvos, I, too, think that we must put our past differences aside, and move forward to address the regional issues facing our community. The Citizens Research Council did a study in the past few years about what types of things young educated professionals look for when deciding to locate in a particular region. One of the issues high on the list was regional transportation. We must address this issue. Most of the issues that were highlighted in the study were quality of life issues, such as entertainment and recreation. I find the entire Detroit/suburb debate to be rdicidulous when viewed from a modern perspective. We must do something, because no business would want to locate here provided the regional differences that plague the Detroit area.

Undoubtedly, we have had our share of problems when it comes to race, and no one has clean hands in this debate, but, again, as a matter of survival, we must put our differences aside for mutual survival. My discussions with many citizens of the 4th District lead me to believe that this feeling is becoming more accepted.

Furthermore, I believe that many in the suburbs are starting to feel the pinch as well. For instance, the Detroit News reported a few weeks ago that Oakland County had the fewest number of residential building permits issued in 2005 since 1983. The days of urban sprawl must come to an end.

The Rock, I graduated from University of Detroit Mercy School of Law in December 2003. I spent ~one year in suburban DC, and was sworn into the Maryland bar in 2004. I returned to Detroit in November 2004 and was sworn into the Michigan bar in October 2005. My office is located in downtown Detroit.

Thanks everyone for the interest and feedback. I am committed to winning this race the old fashioned way: by pounding the pavement and touching the voters. I am confident that the message I am trying to spread, and act on, is a necessity in order for our mutual survival.

Ron

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1025
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could someone tell me the boundaries for State Representative for the 4th District. I don't know what district i reside in since the move.

Ron

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 66.174.79.233
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main

The following is a written description of the boundaries. You can also view a map of the district by clicking on the following link, and following the direction to "Link to District Map."

http://house.michigan.gov/rep. asp?DIST=004

Wayne County
Detroit city
That portion of the city which lies within a line beginning at the Detroit
River and Parkview Ave., north on Parkview Ave. to E. Jefferson Ave.,
west on E. Jefferson Ave. to McClellan St. north on McClellan St. to
Gratiot Ave., north on Gratiot Ave. to Conrail Railroad, west on Conrail
Railroad (southern border of Detroit City Airport) to Erwin Ave., north on
Erwin Ave. to Lynch Rd., west on Lynch Ave. to Van Dyke Ave., north
on Van Dyke Ave. to E. McNichols Rd., west on E. McNichols Rd. to
Mount Elliott St., south on Mount Elliott St. to Rupert St., west on Rupert
St. to Gable Ave., south on Gable Ave. to Casmere Ave., west on Casmere
Ave. to Mound Rd., south on Mound Rd. to Caniff St., east on Caniff St.
to Alpena Ave., south on Alpena Ave. to the city limits of Hamtramck,
east, south, and west along the city limits of Hamtramck to the southern
boundary of the city of Highland Park, proceed west on the city limits of
Highland Park to 2nd Ave., south on 2nd Ave. to W. Grand Blvd., east on
W. Grand Blvd. to Cass Ave., south on Cass Ave. to W. Warren Ave., east
on W. Warren Ave. to John R. St., south on John R. St. to E. Adams St.,
east on E. Adams St. to Randolph St., south on Randolph St. to the Detroit
River, east along the Detroit River encompassing Belle Isle to Parkview
Ave., the point of beginning.
Published pursuant to Public Act 116 of 2001
Produced by the Michigan Information Center
Michigan Department of Information and Technology
November 1, 2001

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3311
Posted From: 67.37.84.244
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron, where do you stand on affirmative action and the anti-affirmative action inititate by MCRI?

Further, if there was a group or action that would challenge current state politicians or political interests in order to defeat MCRI would you become part of that group or action?

Ron

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian,

I support affirmative action and am opposed to the MCRI.

Let me provide you an analogy as to why I believe that affirmative action is necessary. Every job I have ever had, from my job as a busboy at Laffrey's Steakhouse as a teenager, to my most recent job as an attorney (before I started my own practice) has been because of someone I know. This has been my "foot in the door." I would like to believe that I was actually offered the job, and not fired for failing to fulfill my job responsibilities, as a result of my qualifications, but I was provided the opportunity to "sell myself" by someone providing me the opportunity to get in front of a decision-maker. I view affirmative action as that "foot in the door."

As I'm sure many of you are aware, when an employment position opens up, particularly in a bad economy like Michigan's currently is, the number of resumes sent in far surpasses the number of positions to be filled. Affirmative action merely provides that "foot in the door." Once hired, admitted, etc., that candidate still must fulfill the responsibilities of the job, course requirements, etc.

I also support the US Supreme Court's recent decision in the UM Law School (Grutter v. Bollinger) case. That decision allows race to be one factor among many to be considered in admission/hiring/etc/.-type decisions. UM, and many other elite schools, consider "legacy" as a factor, so this is a way to even the playing field. The Law School case is to be distinguished by the undergraduate case (Gratz v. Bollinger) in that the undergraduate admission policy applied a fixed numerical quantity to race as a factor; it was not the more flexible "one factor among many" system applied by the Law School.

If there was a group that would challenge current state politicians or political interests in order to defeat MCRI, I cannot definitively say if I would join that group. It would depend, in large part, on what their stance was on other issues. For instance the group BAMN (By Any Means Necessary) is opposed to the MCRI, but I probably would not be affiliated with that group.

I can say that most business, political and social groups are somewhat united on the fact that this is a bad proposal. I am sure that some of the opposition to this initiative is political in nature. For instance, one of the reasons that President Bush won re-election was because his base turned out at the polls due to the existence of the gay marriage initiatives on many state ballots in 2004. These emotional issues tend to turn out large numbers of a political party's base. I anticipate a similar phenomenon this year, with affirmative action supporters turning out in large numbers in November, virtually guaranteeing Governor Granholm's re-election. And so I do not believe that many of the interest groups opposing this initiative are opposing it on its merits, but rather are opposing it based upon political considerations.

I can say that any group that challenges elected officals to take a stand, and to provide their reasons for that stand, is one that I would support, in theory at least. Our elected officials are "hired" to represent our interests. We must make sure that they are accountable to their constituents.

All in all, I do not believe that we, as a society, have reached a point where we can do away with "affirmative action"-type policies. I think that affirmative action, in general, is the best policy that has been devised to address what is, without argument, a very serious problem.

I would argue, however, that the better policy today would be to provide an "affirmative action" type of policy based more upon socio-economic status rather than race. If you look at those who are filthy rich, race matters very little to them. Race is primarily a divisive issue for those of us who struggle every day because the fact is that there are only so many resources out there; public policy is, unfortunately, a zero-sum game.

On a different note, I don't look kindly on outside groups coming in to dictate Michigan policy. Ward Connerly is not, has never been, nor will ever be, a Michigander, and is merely working to force his views on others. Ms. Gratz, I believe, is a woman scorned. It is very possible that she has benefited from affirmative action as applied in Michigan, as it is used to provide opportunity and funding for as many women as it has been used to benefit people of color.

Given the economic trend towards globalization, I believe affirmative action is necessary in order to make Michigan more competitive. We must be able to interact, and get along with, those who don't look or think like we do. Too often, if we are not forced to interact with those who don't look us, we tend to drift towards de-facto segregation, leaving many wonderful experiences no chance of occurring. Therefore, I believe that affirmative action must be preserved in Michigan.

Ron

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3589
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleman Young JR. ain't got a "snowball's chance in hell" of being elected! The word's already out in the 13th Dem District. So that campaign schitt from Ron is just more flagrant BULLSCHITTER wanting a cushy job. Take it from an insider .....

Black-atcha ..... listening to the Precinct Delegates

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 572
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron's first paragraph in his first post says he is running "on an actual platform, not a name."

I gotta say... thats a turnoff.

I want to hear positive, new ideas... I don't want to hear negatives about others right off the bat.

Ron

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin,

I agree with you on Mr. Young's chances in August. I must disagree with you, however, on what my candidacy is about.

I already have a job that I love, and one that allows me to positively impact, on a daily basis, average people's lives, so no, I do not want a "cushy job," as you put it. In fact, the responsibilities of a state legislator make the position anything but a "cushy job." It is a very demanding job(if done properly), and carries with it a great responsibility.

I am running because I do not approve of the status quo as it exists in Detroit. I am the only candidate who has proffered a plan that has any chance of reducing insurance rates in the city of Detroit. I am the only candidate who has proferred a plan that addresses the main issue facing Detroit and the 4th District; our dwindling population. We simply cannot sustain the services we have historically enjoyed with less money to provide them.

I had the pleasure of meeting one of my fellow candidates, Ms. Stapleton, last evening and found her to be a very pleasant lady. I am confident that this race has the potential to alter the future of the 4th District and our great city, and to put us on the path to prosperity.

It is unfortunate that most political races typically have very little to do with the issues. I look forward to elevating the discussion in this race to address the issues we are facing, and to provide the voters, my future constituents, the opportunity to make a truly informed decision.

Unfortunately, too often, people do vote based upon the recognition of a name, and not the substance of the candidate. I am not a political "insider" as you are, and I actually look at that as a benefit rather than a liability. It is equally unfortunate that too many "insiders" have failed their constituents by not providing viable solutions to our problems.

I look forward to working with you, after I am elected, to help address the issues facing the 4th District.

Ron

Ron

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 66.174.79.228
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_Detroit,

In my first post, I was merely pointing out a sad political reality. If you were to peruse my subsequent posts, as well as my campaign blog, I am confident that you will find the positive new ideas that you, and so many other citizens of the 4th District, are looking for.

I certainly welcome all insight, criticism, and perspectives from the forum members. As I have noted before, I do not contend that I have all of the answers, and believe that we all have something positive to offer. It is, in fact, our responsibility to put our collective heads together to craft creative solutions to our societal ills.

As a candidate, I expect, and indeed invite, criticism, as I believe that constructive criticism provides a roadmap as to how I can be a better candidate, and better legislator. As a political novice, and first (and only) time candidate, I welcome your insight.

So thank you for making me a more viable candidate.

Also, I ask all of the forum members to provide me your perspectives on my platform, as my candidacy is about improving the quality of life of the citizens of the 4th District.

Thank you, and I look forward to a positive discussion on the future of the 4th District.

Ron

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Voting for politicians, any politicians is giving your power away. If you want to make change don't think on a grandiose scale i.e. changing a whole state, city, district or any other political entity. If you haven’t learned what politics is about by now then you will continue to buy into someone else’s dream about the future and their reality. Politics by definition is about the status quo of “inside-the-box thinking” of contemporary political beliefs.

Real change cannot happen within the structure as we know it. It has to all happen on a grassroots level of change that you initiate and you get involved in. Politicians are so intelligent and slick about saying exactly what they need to say so they can get elected. It’s not their fault because “We the people” have established the rules-of-the-game and they are just good at playing that game. Furthermore, just the way many of you engaged Ron tells me just how intelligent and savvy at playing this same game you are and how you are part of the same conspiracy of ineptness he and all politicians within the paradigm that exists.

So, if you want to experience the same despair and frustration in 2 years or 4 years or 6 years whatever the term of the politician you are hoping to elect is then go for it. But, if you want real change it has to happen out of your own efforts with your family, neighbors and friends. I hope you don’t take this personal Ron. I am not as intelligent, articulate or as savvy as many of you about how to effect the change that is necessary, at least not in a traditional political manner. I approach problems in a common sense manner instead of the Harvard MBA, Ernst & Young Best Practices or any of the other pseudo intellectual/political systems that have striped the common man of his natural problem solving

To make my point with a concrete example I am going to start another thread outlining a real life situation about what I consider to be the most important issue we have to deal with in the City of Detroit. The title of that thread will be: “Do you think Political Correctness is useful?” This is a starting point for real change that you, your neighbors, your friends and I can have control over. It is a system of changing the world one person at a time and that person is you and me. Once we conquer our own ineptness and impotence then maybe we will be able to elect people that can affect the kind of change necessary for our common welfare.

The words trust and politics just do not go together. There has to be a better way to make politicians do the bidding of the people and we haven’t figured out how to do that, yet. When we do that then I will have faith in the political process again!

power

Livedog2

Ron

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2,

I must say that I am certainly impressed with your post on personal responsibility. I agree with you 100%. There are certain things that government cannot, and should not, do.

I do, however, disagree with you about giving your power away when you take part in the political process. Our system is set up based upon a "representative democracy," whereby our elected officials take the time to understand the minutiae of often complex public policy decisions. In theory, if you agree with the decisions made on your behalf, you will re-elect that person again. If you don't, then that person won't get your vote again.

Furthermore, there are certain things that our government must, and does, do, such as provide for the security of its citizens through a police force and army; provide certain infrastructure such as roads, water, and public lighting; etc.

Additionally, government can, and should, make policy which reflects the values of our society. For instance, if we value education, then our education policy will reflect that.

The government should also provide for a method of conflict resolution to address the conflicts that undoubtedly will arise any time more than one person lives in close proximity to another. That is our Court system. Indeed, these are the characteristics of what a civilization is.

While I agree that our political system is designed to be resistant to change, that has been done to make it difficult for the few who may come into power attempting to make radical changes and thereby upset our societal stability.

However, I think that when we are faced with unprecedented challenges, we must resort to "outside the box" thinking to address those challenges. Detroit is currently facing those unprecedented challenges.

I do want to say that I do not consider myself a "politician." I am a man who is running for office because I believe that I can offer possible solutions to our problems, and indeed, feel I have a responsibility to do so. I, too, come from the common-sense school of thought. The voters of the 4th District will ultimately decide whether they think I can do that on their behalf.

And no, I do not take any of the posts on this thread personally. It is all of our responsibility to pay attention to the political process, and to be aware of what is done in our name by our elected officials.

I also agree that true change must occur on an individual level. It is the old macro vs. micro sociological debate (does society affect the individual, or does the individual affect society). I am of the belief that we, as individuals, can, and should, try to positively affect society.

Finally, I am certainly not a part of any conspiracy of ineptness. I am merely sharing my thoughts on what needs to be done in order for us to thrive as a District and city. I invite everyone to partake in this conversation, and merely want to do something positive for the city that I love.

Again, thank you everyone for your interest in this race. I certainly enjoy the dialogue and feedback from everyone.

Remember, on August 8, even if you don't vote for me, vote for somebody who will represent you well!

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron, go to my new thread entitled "Do you think Political Correctness is useful?" This is the only way I believe effective change will take place. I have absolutely no faith or belief in the current political process and I have been voting for president since Kennedy. I shed my blood in Vietnam and have been active in politics many times. But, I have finally learned that it does not work for me!

Livedog2

Ron

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 66.174.79.233
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog,

I can understand your frustration. I do not even pretend to understand your feelings as I have never had to fight a war for my country, but I do want to say that I am truly in this to try and make a positive contribution. If I win and have the opportunity to do so, wonderful, and if I lose, then at least I tried.

I am of the belief that you cannot criticize if you do nothing to attempt to change that which you are criticizing. I am merely trying to do something to change our city for the better.

I would love the opportunity to sit down with the forum members so that we may talk face-to-face. It is easy to sit here and type out what I think, and it is just as easy for everyone to discount me as just another politician (again, I do not consider myself a politician). It is something totally different to look someone in the eye and listen to what they believe.

If anyone would be interested, let me know when and where, and I'll be there with bells on.

Thanks,
Ron

ps: Great thread Livedog. As I noted, I could not have said it better.

Brian

Post Number: 3312
Posted From: 67.37.83.218
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Affirmative Action in Michigan, there are others who are fighting MCRI in the courts and on the merits of the law. Not in the media. (The media won't cover their part of the story.)

Look at http://www.hoodresearch.org/Af firmativeAction/ and read about what is going on.

As for my question above, the current crop of politicians have sat by and watched MCRI use their republican connections and much of the Devos connected money to push their proposal through the process. The pettitions were invalid, the courts violated the MI constitution and the republicans, who are in charge of every office which controls this process, have ignored the law. Land did not check the pettitions as required by law. Cox did not defend the constitution as is his job, regardless of politics. Now Cox is published as supporting the Anti-Affirmative Action proposal.

We can discuss tax cuts when folks have taxes to be cut, but its hard to worry about taxes when you don't have a job.

MCRI is looking to kill jobs. What will the politicians do? Those elected and those wanting to be elected?

Ron

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 66.174.79.226
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian,

I have certain feelings about government, specifically regarding what should, and should not, be addressed by government. I am of the belief that elective government should not address certain issues; those that touch upon individual rights, such as abortion and affirmative action. I am of the belief that elective government should stay out of those debates, regardless of a person's personal feelings on the subject.

I think that a proposal like this should not be touched by elective government (leaving the Courts to address it, should it be necessary)(which they already have, btw); in the absence of that option, then the electorate itself should address the issue.

Keep in mind that I am of the perspective that this ballot initiative is a good omen for Governor Granholm's re-election. As I noted in another post, this proposal has the potential to turn out large numbers of Democratic voters, just as the gay-marriage proposals turned out Bush's base in 2004. In this election, it looks like Governor Granholm will need every advantage she can get.

I think that the process by which this proposal has ended up on the ballot is a moot question at this point. Right now, if this proposal passes, it will alter the state Constitution to outlaw any form of affirmative action.

I agree that the effect, if this passes, would be to kill jobs in Michigan. At this point, it is up to the people of Michigan to organize, and defeat this ill-thought-out proposal.

Brian

Post Number: 3313
Posted From: 68.73.32.126
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put it all on the people? Wait to see how they vote? Don't let government in on this yet government approved and pushed this through? Why didn't the Courts pass on this argument and tell those folks to just settle their differences? Or why did the courts not just order the SOS to do her duty and get with the governor, who appoints the BOC, and work out a solution.

Your answer is a common republican tactic of dodging the issue.

Ron

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian,

I am the furthest thing from a Republican, although I do consider myself to be a moderate Democrat, and have been a precinct delegate for the Democratic party in Detroit.

I am simply stating that, when an issue of individual rights, such as affirmative action or the right to privacy, is at issue, I do not think that it is wise for elected government to interfere. Take a look at the PATRIOT act, and you will see that our right to privacy was interfered with by elective government as a knee-jerk reaction to 9/11. Thus far, the PATRIOT act has not been used to prosecute any terrorists, but it has been used to track down and prosecute simple money launderers. It was used as a means to infringe upon our 4th amendment right to be secure from government intrusion without probable cause. This was accomplished by elective government. I believe that our constitutional rights should be addressed by the Courts, not Congress, or any state legislature. (Other than possibly to propose a constitutional amendment guaranteeing our right to privacy, as Republicans do not believe that a "right to privacy" currently exists in the Constitution.

In the absence of that option, it is best to put the proposal directly to the voters. Individual rights should not be addressed by our representatives, but by us directly.

Again, I predict that the MCRI will fail, and Granholm will be re-elected as a result of her base coming out to defeat MCRI.

I also believe I clearly stated that I am vehemently opposed to the MCRI; I am not trying to dodge the issue. I am merely articulating my perspective on what government should and should not do.

As for the process by which MCRI is ending up on the ballot, I am a firm believer in the biblical admonition that "you reap what you sow." The dirty tactics used by the MCRI supporters will certainly come back to haunt them. (Again, don't try and brand me a Republican because I am a Christian; I reject the proposition that the GOP has a monopoly on morality) :-)

Thanks,
Ron

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.