Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Mackenzie students protest the lack of a casual dress day « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1354
Posted From: 64.148.226.17
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The students at Mackenzie HS had a protest regarding, among other things, the lack of a casual dress day where they didn't have to wear the uniform. I don't know about you, but this is the stupidest reason to protest. A lot of the radio shows were trumping this up as the biggest reason students were outraged with the school administration.

Now granted the students were also protesting against filthy bathrooms and a lack of books which are definately legitimate things to protest about. But just leave the casual dress thing out of it if you have any sense. No one is going to come to your aid except BAMN to be able to wear baggy jeans and hoochie momma shirts.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20060329/NEWS11/ 60329010

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2486
Posted From: 199.74.87.51
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 4:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My private school had a "free dress" once a month. I think it's a legitimate concern.

Mplsryan
Username: Mplsryan

Post Number: 139
Posted From: 24.26.164.215
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free dress was only allowed at dances in my day, and even then it was restricted to a code. Quit bitchin, uniforms are great kids, believe me- especially when your family doesn't have a dime to outfit you...

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My child goes to a DPS high school and they have a free dress day each month too. I like the uniform ideal, especially after seeing what some of these kids wear to school.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 69.221.73.197
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now channel 4 is reporting it was because of lack of supplies and books

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1077
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a protest? Those "protesters" are our citizen-leaders of the future in this town? LOL Detroit. Fortunately, only property damage, no one got hurt.

The students seem to have a legitimate beef. But the "protest" was a farce.Just a chance to skip class, and raise a little hell. One "protester" (I think she was arrested -"detained"- according to WDIV) told her mother she was going to protest and momma said "Do what you gotta do". Great advice mom. Do what you gotta do.
I'm glad her daughter didn't tell her she was planning to rob a bank.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2453
Posted From: 71.144.95.230
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez Ltorivia...

Other media reports have said that students felt that the dress code requirements were "basically equivalent to wearing a uniform". That is not the same thing as wearing an actual uniform and the students certainly do not have a legitimate beef in that regard.

(Also from the students that I saw on tv, they weren't wearing actual uniforms, rather they looked like they were adhering to a "dress code")

Unclean bathrooms are certainly a legitimate gripe, however, if it is due to student vandalism, (some) students must also accept accountability. Likewise, not being able to take books home is also a major concern (and systematic of a much larger problem). However (once again) egg and bottle throwing certainly don't help one's cause.

Jltyler
Username: Jltyler

Post Number: 275
Posted From: 69.212.213.40
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rock hit it dead on.

The students of Mackenzie have legitamate demands. The walkout was a mere excuse for skipping. Normally walkout/protest are the last resorts. I have yet to see a report where the students have formed an allience and spoke with school administrators, or representative of the students, of Mackenzie, have spoke with the school board.

If the students were serious, they would be taken serious.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 447
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't this Jerome Bettis' alma mater. I am sure he would be proud to hear this news.

Bad bathrooms and no books - legitimate reasons to resolve in a diplomatic way.

Unruly protest by throwing eggs and bottles causing traffic victims and property damages - illegitimate way to resolve any issue(s).

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 35.11.161.238
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a student @ MSU...Last night they came to a student gov't organizationhere to talk about the MCRI and the HR regarding Immigration. While BAMN and I share views on both issues, I prefer diplomacy, and I deplore BAMN Tactics. Protesting is cool, rioting and exploitation people who don't know better is not.

On another note, check out:

oneunitedmichigan.org

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 69.216.108.32
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 4:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This "walkout" mysteriously coincides(sp) with an HBO movie recently released.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 868
Posted From: 68.248.0.11
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The principal i.d.ed a few of the protest ringleaders as students who weren't really interested in learning:

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060330/SCHOO LS/603300341&SearchID=73240130 450053

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3873
Posted From: 141.217.173.154
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fight MACKENZIE students! fight for what's right for education in the Detroit Public Schools.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 452
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Principal Bernard Bonam said many of the problems are caused by students themselves, such as those who toss their textbooks out windows onto the school's greenhouse or others who stuff toilet paper into the toilet. "They have got to learn to be respectful," said Bonam.

Bonam said most of the students protesting were troublemakers and that they were really just upset about the uniform requirement and cell phone restrictions.

"Major violators, low grade point averages. ..." said Bonam, who watched students as they marched around the school. "They don't give a doggone thing about their education."

Unbelievable what kids get away with these days and still attract attention.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1359
Posted From: 66.238.170.32
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While there are some legit concerns on Bonam's part with vandalism, it is still his responsibility to ensure that those few students who do vandalize things don't "win". He (and the district) are allowing the vandals to win by not fixing the toilets, cleaning up their mess, etc. These few students who are vandals are wrecking it for the rest of the students who want to actually learn. They are succeeding because their vandalism sticks around, there for bragging rights long after the deed was done and the administrators hasn't done a damn thing about it, further reinforcing that they've won as a vandal.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2696
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No protesting unless you are on the honor roll.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3883
Posted From: 141.217.173.154
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it would better to PRIVATIZE the Detroit Public Schools. That way the students would get clean bathrooms, new books and keep their fashions statements.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.