Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit: Last Free City? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all of the security and cameras going up and around NY and Chicago and the increase in police force is D the last free city? We could use this to entice new residents.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2487
Posted From: 199.74.87.51
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need more police presence.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3457
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Entice new residents? Do you mean new crooks? I'm not necessarily for CCTV and the like, but marketing a city by basically saying "the owners' out of the shop, come on in" would be down-right foolish, and counterproductive. If anything, the city needs to be advertising that they are watching you, especially in Detroit.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1512
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll be one of the last states in the nation to go smoke-free in bars and restaurants too. We could use that to market Detroit to both new residents AND tourists.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1716
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need more security cameras.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1880
Posted From: 24.98.116.13
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

With all of the security and cameras going up and around NY and Chicago and the increase in police force is D the last free city?

That might be the dumbest statement of the week. Ask your average person just how 'free' they feel walking around most parts of the city.

Please explain your logic a little further. I can't for one minute understand why you think a lack of police presence and cameras is a benefit.

K00jd01
Username: K00jd01

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 143.115.159.53
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial4hipster is on to something. I don't think the neo-prohibitionist anti-smoking nuts will find their way to Detroit anytime soon. Let's have Philip Morris sponsor the next Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1695
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That might be the dumbest statement of the week.

So true.

Chitaku what area of Detroit do you live in?

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 1781
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something like: "Come to our still-smoking city with our free healthcare system to back it up" sounds like a winner. The illegals & poor love the free healthcare now, why wouldn't everyone else?

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 117
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of people like Detroit for it's lack of police presence. I've definitely met people who like Detroit because they don't have to worry about cops hassling them. They dislike the suburbs because there's lots of cops.

Alt_runner, I must say that I feel free walking anywhere, but I'd feel less free if there were security camera's everywhere. If those put those camera's up in Detroit they better make them bulletproof.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1937
Posted From: 4.229.6.16
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog, anyone who likes Detroit for its' lack of police presence.... well lets just say that that feeling will go away real quickly if the person has an emergency, and there is no police nearby, or God forbid, you have to call 911 and nobody shows up!

In SCS where I live, a 911 call will have a policeman at your door within 5 minutes.... guaranteed.

Anyone who doesn't like a police presence is either a fool or a crook.

Dodge1
Username: Dodge1

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 208.215.58.101
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I also live in SCS but grew up on the east side. Hiya :-)

Brian

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I agree Detroit needs better police presence. In Detroit, for the most part, the police aren't sweating petty crimes like someone smoking a joint or speeding down an empty street. They should enforce laws against these acts but they just don't. This makes the city appealing to some. If they did crackdown on smallers crimes then the city would probably see a reduction in overall crime. I've heard that NYC did this in the 80's and it worked. But lack of police definitely makes you more free but less safe and secure.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im in Woodbridge. It is not neccesarily the lack of police pressence I like, but it is the lack of police harrasment. One time I was in SCS playing guitar in a house with the windows open at night. It was an acoustic and I was quiet enough that I knew the nieghbors could not here. However somehow the cops heard the noise or saw people in the window and automaticaly came up ready to bust a party of underage kids. That just does not happen in the city limits. At least not in my expirience. I can joke with cops too in Detroit, where as in the burbs one wrong look and you're busted for something. Detroit is like the wild west, pure anarchy. We all know whats up here and either you deal with it or don't.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7141
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In Detroit, for the most part, the police aren't sweating petty crimes like someone smoking a joint or speeding down an empty street. They should enforce laws against these acts but they just don't.

As an old friend who is DPD once told me - there is the law and there is Detroit law. When I asked him about this he stated that he turns the other cheek to a lot of things because he doesn;t see them as a big deal. Of course he lives in Harper Woods.

DPD needs to enforce all laws when they can. Prioritize runs if there is a need but enforce everything. The attitude of DPD, specifically DPD that doesn't live in the city that some crimes aren't worth their time is sickening.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Prioritize runs if there is a need but enforce everything.

Jt1, You can't have both. Believe me they are prioritized. On any given night there is a very loooooong, queue in the city of Detroit.

Chitaku, hit the nail on the head. I can blast my stereo all night, no restrictions!

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 569
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sympathize with Chitaku. Detroit is relatively free of law-and-order nuts, fussy anti-smoking nazis and the like. And I'm OK with that.

But if you play guitar next door to me at night I'll break it over your frickin' head.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3458
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is one thing to be glad that police don't hassle the public over things like playing music too loud. It's completely another to suggest that the city should be marketing itself as a place where crooks can also do their business just as easily.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1088
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone who doesn't like a police presence is either a fool or a crook."

Like potheads (potential Felon), adults under 21 years of age having a beer on this side of the river, or people that dare to drive home from a bar... after having 2 beers (potential felon unless your 250lbs), a 19 year old whos girlfriend happens to be 17 who he met in H.S. (big time felon and potential sex offender)...

To some... i guess these type of people are some pretty hard core criminals... Its not like most cops dont take those people seriously either... they really feel they are doing their duty.

I dont trust cops..

They are always there to write you a ticket, but never when there is a little white spot where your car used to be... your lucky if they report it stolen... unless your an old lady, they will accuse you of insurance fraud.

Alexei289

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember..

Don't steal.. the government hates competition

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9971
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ask your average person just how 'free' they feel walking around most parts of the city.

I feel pretty damn free. Any other questions?

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm fine with Detroit having a red light district where anything goes, with police redirected to parts of the city where they're actually wanted, but I think the rest of the city could use more cameras and police, both used to catch people who are really causing harm to others (not just themselves).

Alexei289

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The police need more tanks...

forget safe, those make me feel invincible...

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 957
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPD sucks. They're far beyond mediocre.

Chicago I called the cops 2x in the 1.5 years I lived there, both for kids snooping around the abandoned train station fenced off across the street. They were there in about 3 minutes.

In CA, my roommate called the cops after a former co-worker called with a threat about killing him. It probably wasn't serious, but he decided to get it on record. I could hear the sirens while he was still on the phone.

That is what should be expected. Maybe it isn't always delivered, but its what citizens should expect and the police should expect to deliver. In Detroit the citizens don't expect and demand it, and the cops don't give a shit.

Devinc
Username: Devinc

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 69.14.138.74
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

knowledge=truth=freedom.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1698
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

DPD needs to enforce all laws when they can. Prioritize runs if there is a need but enforce everything. The attitude of DPD, specifically DPD that doesn't live in the city that some crimes aren't worth their time is sickening.

Somebody that actually gets it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.