Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » BEFORE OLD CAR FACTORIES -- STOVES! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Stove_fanatic
Username: Stove_fanatic

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 129.234.4.1
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This started out in the thread about the old Uniroyal factory, in case anybody wants to look back. But I got encouraged to try to start a new thread. I will have just about shot my bold of good (ish) pics with this post, so I might have to resort to trying to keep it alive by importing the messages I contributed to the other thread.

Anyway, here goes:

Another view od the Detroit Stove Works, with the Belle Isle Bridge in the background, from p. 41 of James J. Mitchell, DETROIT IN HISTORY & COMMERCE. A Careful Compilation of the History, Mercantile & Manufacturing Interests of Detroit, Illustrated with Views of the City's Principal Streets, Points of Interest, Prominent Buildings & Portraits of Its Noted Business Men. Published under the Direction of the Merchants' & Manufacturers' Exchange & Sanction of the Detroit Board of Trade
(Detroit: Rogers & Thorpe, 1891):

1891 Detroit Stove Works

And a view from p. 44 of the same volume, of the Michigan Stove Works, before the installation of the Big Stove in the forecourt, facing the street (Jefferson?):

1891 Michigan Stove

A nice pic of an ad from the Kalamazoo Stove Works, 1904 -- I'm sure Detroiters aren't _completely_ localist in their industrial-archaeological interests:

1904 Kalamazoo ad.

The Art Stove Works, from an article (probably by William J. Keep, superintendent of Michigan Stove and designer of the Big Stove) about "The Stove Industry of Detroit" in _The Michigan Manufacturer_ 2 (18 June 1910): 46-52, at p. 49:

1910 Art Stove

The Detroit Stove Works, same article, p. 47:

1910 Detroit Stove

The Michigan Stove Works, same article, p. 49 -- you can just see the Big Stove in the forecourt, just below the 'Crown' trademark, facing the street:

1910 Michigan Stove Exterior

An interior view of the brand-new Michigan Stove main foundry (the old one had burnt down) -- this is the site of the 1930s pic in Wayne State, referred to earlier -- p. 48:

1910 Michigan Stove Foundry

"The Heart of a Stove Plant" -- pouring molten iron, Michigan Stove 1910, p. 50

1910 Michigan Stove "Heart"

"On the Moulding Floor" -- 'flasks' (moulds) ready to fill with iron, same place & page:

1910 Michigan Stove "Floor"

Another bit of the moulding room, heavier flasks, same place & page:

1910 Michigan Stove "Heavy Floor"

A different stove foundry (Fuller & Warren, Troy NY, c. 1913) but too good to leave out:

1913 Fuller & Warren

And that's it for now. Off to Albany and Troy next week, on the track of _old stoves_.

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 192.85.50.2
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love those old stoves. We had a Civil War drill session at Fort Wayne a few weeks ago, and we stayed overnight in the restored guardhouse. The place had a huge old potbellied stove that really kept the place toasty!

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 990
Posted From: 63.41.8.37
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doing a bit of googling looking at the stove industry, I found that the corporate successor to Detroit Stove Works, is Enodis, a maker of restaurant equipment.

quote:

Enodis Corporation is the leading provider of commercial food equipment solutions. The Enodis group of companies has a full range of “hot” and “cold” side core equipment products, holds one of the leading technology positions in the industry, and maintains a leading portfolio of brands.

Enodis has roots that date back as far as 1864, when two brothers, Jeremiah and James Dwyer, founded the Detroit Stove Works in Detroit, Michigan....

http://www.kysorpanel.com/about.asp

I might as well repost the photo from the Uniroyal thread.

LOC/DPC

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 185
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is the main reason the Historical museum shouldn't close

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 71.213.227.199
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Kalamazoo stove is a beauty.
I recall back in the day (early 80's), Ye Olde Tap Room at Charlevoix & Alter used to have a similar stove in the center of the main room that they'd fire up when the temps dropped. Made the brew taste all the better.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 991
Posted From: 63.41.8.130
Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link to recent photo of the restored giant stove.

http://www.retaildetroit.com/m onuments/The_Michigan_Stove.ht m

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 874
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same stove at the State Fairgrounds zoomed-in a bit...

(Message edited by 623kraw on March 30, 2006)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2409
Posted From: 66.167.58.14
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you are an ACW re-enactor Unclefrank?

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In that first pic it is facing Jeffesrson and it shows the old wooden Belle Isle Bridge before it burned. I'll see if I can scan some pics from the area.

Unclefrank

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Are you are an ACW re-enactor Unclefrank?"

Yes, I do both Union and Confederate.

Unclefrank

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"That Kalamazoo stove is a beauty.
I recall back in the day (early 80's), Ye Olde Tap Room at Charlevoix & Alter used to have a similar stove in the center of the main room that they'd fire up when the temps dropped. Made the brew taste all the better."

I used to drink there back in the 70's. I loved that place. Your right about the stove.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.