Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Kilpatrick, Penske, and Patterson to unveil stategy to lure businesses « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 564
Posted From: 69.246.26.190
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No it's not an early April fools joke, L. Brooks Patterson is trying to do something constructive with city leaders.

By Tom Henderson
March 31, 2006 1:18 PM

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick said Friday he will unveil a major, aggressive business-attraction plan soon after his April 12 budget address and that it would involve the architect of Super Bowl XL.

“Roger Penske is coming back to the table,” he said.
Kilpatrick made the statement to an audience attending the first of a series of “Pancakes and Politics” breakfasts at the Detroit Athletic Club, hosted by the Michigan Chronicle and sponsored in part by Crain’s Detroit Business.

Kilpatrick shared the podium with Oakland County Executive L. Brooks Patterson.

Kilpatrick did not give details of the plan, but said it was time for Detroit to become as aggressive as Oakland County in wooing business.

Both Patterson and Kilpatrick said area leaders need to find a new project now that the Super Bowl has come and gone.

“We need a new focus,” said Kilpatrick. “What is the next thing we are all going to work on? Holding hands and singing ‘Kumbaya’ isn’t going to cut it.”

Other news from the breakfast included:

Kilpatrick said he, Patterson and Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano have been meeting to work out a plan to woo either the Democratic or Republican national convention to Detroit in 2008 and that he and Patterson “work together every day. The language of our constituencies often fuels the perception of a fight between Brooks and I that doesn’t exist.”

Patterson referred to the lack of regional transportation as “the real open wound we ought to fix.” Kilpatrick said a new bill on transit legislation in Lansing was on a back-burner during his re-election campaign but now will be one of his priorities.

Kilpatrick said he wanted to reduce Detroit income and property taxes “so we’ll be more competitive.” He also said he could support elimination of the single-business tax in theory, “but I’m just real leery of this Legislature coming up with a replacement.” He said prior to term-limits, legislators learned to work together for the common good, noting it took five months in the Proposal A era for the Legislature to replace the school tax. “People had genuine relationships,” he said.

Patterson said he was angry Oakland County didn’t get a chance to put together a proposal to try to get a new United Solar Ovonic factory. It was announced in late March that the subsidiary of Energy Conversion Devices Inc., which makes thin-film solar energy materials at its plant in Auburn Hills, would build a new $129 million plant in Greenville that would employ 200.

“We didn’t find out about it until a Super Bowl party,” he said. “We weren’t in the bidding process. We never got a chance to put a package together. We were told, ‘You have enough jobs in Oakland County.’ You tell that to the people of Pontiac.”

Kilpatrick said the Detroit school system will never run efficiently “without involvement from the city of Detroit. But it’s too early, now, to have that conversation. ... I’m very, very, very disappointed in the leadership of the schools. They want to be an island unto themselves. If they want to secede from the union, they’re going to sink.”

After hearing references to a trade mission Ficano made to China, and trade missions Patterson made to China and Ireland, Kilpatrick said the reaction over his recent fact-finding trip to Africa was racist. “They go to China, no one sticks a microphone in their face and asks who’s paying for it? It’s a plantation mentality. They can go on trade missions. I can’t. I’ve got to hop around in a circle in Detroit.”

Africa is where Detroit should be focusing its trade efforts, said the mayor. “You go to China, now, you’re late. I think we should look to Africa. That’s the next market.”

Kilpatrick denied rumors of impending payless paydays for city workers. “I don’t know where that stuff comes from. It’s not going to happen.”

In addition to Crain’s, Friday’s event was sponsored by DaimlerChrysler, LISC Detroit; WWJ 950 and CBS/UPN.

The next Pancakes and Politics Breakfast will feature Gov. Jennifer Granholm and Dick DeVos, candidate for the Republican gubernatorial nomination, at the Detroit Athletic Club on April 25.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/c gi-bin/news.pl?newsId=8288

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7144
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All sounds great and kudos to all three regional leaders for working together.

The KK comments at the media at the end need to stop. Even if that is the case he needs to swallow his pride on go on with his buiness instead of always getting in the last word.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Patterson referred to the lack of regional transportation as “the real open wound we ought to fix.”

Wow. This is stunning coming from Patterson.

This sort of forum is exactly what Michigan needs.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 773
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sure would be nice to see some sort of response from the Ficano camp on the China issue...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the two most crooked politicians in the area talking more garbage..and i thought it was the incinerator that smelled today. Nope just Ole' L Brooks and Mayor Kwame! I can see this region coming around oh..............when these 2 are voted out!

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 286
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Jt1 on giving the tiresome tirades a rest already, Mr. Mayor.

quote:

After hearing references to a trade mission Ficano made to China, and trade missions Patterson made to China and Ireland, Kilpatrick said the reaction over his recent fact-finding trip to Africa was racist. “They go to China, no one sticks a microphone in their face and asks who’s paying for it? It’s a plantation mentality. They can go on trade missions. I can’t. I’ve got to hop around in a circle in Detroit.”

Africa is where Detroit should be focusing its trade efforts, said the mayor. “You go to China, now, you’re late. I think we should look to Africa. That’s the next market.”

Oh, really now.

Where does one even start to unravel the idiocy of such a ludicrous claim, which flies in the face of China's workforce development, modern infrastructure, global business relationships, world's largest consumer market, etc., etc?

Yes, I know South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Nigeria and other nations are developed or developing . . . but saying "Africa is the next market" and holds more promise than China? N'yuh-uh.

Just more persuasive evidence of a Detroit liability.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 201
Posted From: 69.208.250.183
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blah blah plantations, blah blah trips to africa, blah blah plantations, blah blah bottled water for city offices, blah blah plantations, blah blah zoo funding, blah blah plantations.

Just another day in Detroit.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 66.174.79.229
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not have the opportunity to attend today's event, but I must say that it appears to be a positive development. Just getting the acknowledgement from Mr. Patterson that regional transportation is an urgent issue is certainly a step in the right direction.

The issue of race was going to arise in today's discussion because it evolved around regional cooperation, but the context of Mayor Kilpatrick's remarks appear to be a little off center. I say that because it appears as though he is more upset about his personal media coverage, rather than the issue of race as it pertains to our regional relationship.

All in all, though, I am heartened by today's developments. Like I said in other streams, the issue of regional cooperation is both timely and necessary. Let's work together and allow cooler heads to prevail.

Ron

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this blah, blahing about the politicians is missing the point. Regardless of how we feel about our elected leaders, with Penske heading up these efforts we might actually get somewhere. Last I checked Penske isn't a self-serving politician. I think he really wants to make an impact and get something done. He is simply forced to work with what he has.

If Penske can do with mass transit what he did with the Super Bowl then I think the future looks bright for SE Michigan.

Wow. how's that for a streak of positivity?

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Africa is the next market? Is he serious or am I missing something?

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 66.174.79.229
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that there is a lot of promise in developing economies. While I do not have enough personal knowledge as to say whether Africa does hold such promise, I think it may be worthwhile to take a look at it.

If we can develop new markets for the products manufactured in the Detroit region, I say, why not? If some fruit is borne from Mayor Kilpatrick's exploratory trip, will anyone turn down the benefits from it?

I also applaud Mr. Penske's involvement in the issue. He certainly appears to be a results-oriented leader. PENSKE FOR PREZ!!!!! :-)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2616
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Believe it or not Island there is more there now(and has been for some years) that people really give credit for...

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 69.216.108.32
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has any of the naysayers ever been to Africa and studied the market dynamics? If not.....STFU. Oh yeah....you read the papers, my fault.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2698
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Number 3 oil producing country- Nigeria

The head of OPEC- Dr. Edmund Maduabebe Daukoru From Nigeria

picture

The Head of the UN- Kofi Annan from Ghana

The most powerful Armed force- the Republic of South Africa (a nuclear capable nation) with General Mr J.B. Masilela as defense secretary.

picture

There is indeed a reason to look to Africa for oppourtunity....

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1943
Posted From: 4.229.81.105
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you guys reading too much out of Patterson's regional transportation statement? He may merely be saying that the 2 bus systems should be merged. I don't think he's condoning rapid transit.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3460
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not surprising that everyone latches on to the race issue, when that is but one component of this entire partnership. Can't people be happy, for instance, that LBP actually recognized and legitimized the idea that the region is suffering because of its lack of effective mass transist; or that Mr. Penske is envolved who is an amazing intermediary; or that Kwame hit the nail right on the head in saying that now that the Suberbowl is gone, that there needs to be a new focus and goal?

I don't care where the hell they take Detroit, as long as they take it some damn where, be it African, China, or all of the above and beyond. And, all many here can do is bitch about Kwame wanting to make Africa a focus. Geez.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 379
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patterson has recently spoken out only in favor of a bus mass-transit system that would be state-subsidized. That (DARTA?) plan was vetoed by Engler before he left. He does not support rapid transit, including the AA-Detroit link.

So, get over it. That white elephant won't happen.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh boy more buses! That means more pollution!!!!!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3461
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, I'm glad you're so sure. You're going to need that to fight the "good fight" against effective rail mass transit, when it inevitably comes to Southeast Michigan.

Maybe, you are the one that needs to get over himself.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1325
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm that would be something if we needed the OC executive's approval on a rail line that goes from Wayne to Washtenaw counties.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1091
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... It amazes me that someone who is a champion of business would not want something that has been consistantly proven to provide jobs, and economic growth to any region it touches...

Not to mention that it would be a HUGE benefit to both Detroit AND Oakland counties...

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 148.61.248.170
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Africa will be the next Asia, but I don't know if that means the mayor needs to go there.

I think it's good that these people are getting together, hopefully some good will come from it.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 71.126.176.158
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua, don't you just love it when politicians give speeches! Promise the world, free money, build transit systems AND reduce property taxes, encourage new businesses, on and on.

Get real boys. Roger Penske is a talented and bright individual with the ability to accomplish his business goals. But, without the powers of government in this situation, there will be little that he can do.

the river rat the pragmatist

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 399
Posted From: 69.136.150.132
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Joann Watson and Barbara Rose Collins and Fraud Anderson can help the Mayor drum up business between Detroit and Africa.

Mw2gs
Username: Mw2gs

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 69.216.108.32
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Morena has forward thinking ideas.

**birds chirping**

We're waiting!!!!!!!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3464
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, look at the headline for the Associated Press' take on this story:

Kilpatrick, Patterson trade barbs in discussion about regionalism

They can't win for losing. Even when the leaders of the region come together (if even not the whole way) their differences are magnified by the media. They better take all of the goodwill they can from eachother, because it's clear that the outside isn't rooting for them. lol

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 671
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilpatrick, in his opening remarks, said he was amazed at Patterson being lauded as a regional player along with former Gov. John Engler, the late former Wayne County Executive Ed McNamara and former Detroit Mayor Coleman Young.

"All great men. Now, I'm waiting around for him to die also," Kilpatrick said. "But seriously, ... he's my man."

[but really, though...i AM waiting around for him to die.]

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.