Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Ford Foundation probed; AG claims Michigan left out « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 946
Posted From: 216.78.40.123
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Foundation probed; AG claims Mich. left out

Cox: N.Y. trust must pay heed to family legacy
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060402/O PINION03/604020373

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 454
Posted From: 70.228.56.253
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good!

I hope he is at least partially successful...they are in need of direction...a stick across their collective heads would be a good start.

Illwill
Username: Illwill

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 71.201.70.200
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've often thought about this myself. As a student and resident here in Chicago, I've noticed more of a Ford Motor Co. presence here than in my own home city of Detroit, Michigan. They pour tons of money into Chicago and are building a huge presence in this city whether it be the arts, museums, parks, commercials or plants. I'm glad they ae being confronted.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 907
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Illwill the Ford Foundation isn't affiliated with Ford Motor Co. - hasn't been for over 40 years

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2421
Posted From: 66.167.58.14
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it is time the Ford Foundation offered some support to a little failing auto company by the name of Ford. :-)

I think we can safely ignore Cox. Anything that comes out of his mouth from now on will be electioneering.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 71.126.176.158
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another surprise! Large charitable organizations may not be without corruption and self interest among the directors. Charities, foundations, religions and trusts are often hijacked from their intent by board members and frequently direct their funds on the basis of personal whims of their idea of the "right thing".

The article points out that donors should be aware of who, where and what are they shelling out their largess to and for. Big charities are the same as big business for the directors and employees of same. As much as politicians, they will do everything to preserve their well-being.

the river rar the cynic

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 295
Posted From: 68.9.47.117
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps, the fondation can build a proper "Ford Theather", like those found in other cities, or perhaps make the current one usable.

It seems like the Ford Foundation has recieved its inheritance and put the family and Detroit in the nursing home.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 895
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was it the Ford Foundation that contributed to the original Ford Auditorium next to Hart Plaza, or was that a gift from the Ford family itself. I

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1947
Posted From: 4.229.3.113
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC, Ford Auditorium was built with money from the Ford family and Ford auto dealers.

The_nerd, in a thread about 6 months ago I proposed that very thing.... the Ford Foundation should show its largesse by restoring the former Michigan Theatre as the "Ford Center for the Performing Arts". That would cost about $60 million, and it would make Detroit's Ford Center the FLAGSHIP of the Ford Center's across North America (currently there are Ford Centers in NYC, Toronto, Vancouver, and in Chicago they restored the opulent 3,000 seat Oriental Theatre as the Ford Center). Currently the Chicago Ford Center is the flagship of the chain.

What would make the Michigan Theatre especially suitable as a Ford Center is the fact that it is located on the site where Henry Ford built his first engine and auto back in the 1890's in an alley carriage house off Bagley.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 12.45.2.184
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lil pup, they carry their name(FORD) that's the connection.

Lilpup

Post Number: 908
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the *only* connection - Ford Motor Company and the Ford Foundation do not have any business relationship. Illwill wrote about seeing the Ford Motor Company presence in Chicago. That would be seeing funding from the Company not the Foundation.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1050
Posted From: 68.248.55.184
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's the *only* connection - Ford Motor Company and the Ford Foundation do not have any business relationship.

Well yeah, that's the problem.

quote:

Illwill wrote about seeing the Ford Motor Company presence in Chicago. That would be seeing funding from the Company not the Foundation.

It could be from either, I suppose.

Hard to say if Mike Cox will actually be successful with this, but it seems like it's worth a shot.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 626
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they have a legal leg to stand on but public opinion may force them (the foundation) to loosen the purse strings.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"I think we can safely ignore Cox. Anything that comes out of his mouth from now on will be electioneering."
______________________________ ___________________
Lowell,

I would be interested to hear your view if this was being addressed by either of the US Senators from Michigan.

Don't let your anti-Republicanism get in the way of commending (or encouraging) someone that is trying to help this area.

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 456
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

That is an outstanding idea!

How about a letter to the Ford Foundation with a cc. to our US Senators, Governor, Mayor and Cox?

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 457
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and a cc. to the Ford family?

Irish_mafia

Post Number: 458
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and a cc. to the media?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3469
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are some so content with pointing out the difference between the family and the orginization as if it should be that way? The fact is, whether they are First cousin's or cousins twice removed, they are still family, in a sense. The fact is that the Ford Foundation and the Ford family share a common bond with one owing its existence to the other.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 71.247.177.52
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Local support for the Detroit-area from the Ford Foundation is a long time overdue.

"Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox"--being out of state, I've never heard of him. Is he well-known in Michigan?

Interesting how the State Attorney General's office nationwide is garnering more press and more presence. Eliot Spitzer, Attorney General for New York State, is one example. Like what Mr. Cox is doing here, wonder if we'll be hearing more from him.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 12.45.2.184
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that is the conncetion but The foundation has totally forgotten it's roots, the reason it exists, at least give the region something. You sure don't see any other foundation outside of DETROIT giving DETROIT more money than in their region. Do you hear the Bill & Melinda Gates foundations giving DETROIT 60 million dollars and Seattle 60! DETROIT would be a little better off for it! 313

Lilpup

Post Number: 909
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"as if it should be that way?"

Unless Cox turns up something untoward that he can use it IS that way and will probably remain that way. Do you really think a bunch of fat cats in New York care about Detroit? Don't kid yourself, everyone there has written off Michigan, especially Detroit, the American auto industry, and almost everything associated therewith.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 674
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cox gets a little more looney with every passing day. next thing, he'll sue ford modeling agency for not bringing up more models from the d. i didn't see anything in the article about what statutes or laws were possibly being broken. hopefully this investigation doesn't just lead to a big waste of taxpayer dollars, but i'll bet that's exactly what will happen, and cox will have yet another big smudge on his political resume.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3470
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, I don't get why you're replying to that line of mine. Things aren't usually the way they should be, and this is one of those times. I understand what you're saying (in fact, I think everyone does), but what I'm saying is that it shouldn't be that way. Just an observation, and one I think is shared by quite a few, here. If all that Michigan gets out of this a bit of publicity, that is more than nothing being brought to light.

Dsmith
Username: Dsmith

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 68.41.202.23
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't it common knowledge that the Skull & Bonesmen have controlled the Ford Foundation since McGeorge Bundy gained control in 1966?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 564
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ford Foundation has no Ford family. Zero. No first-cousins or 3rd cousins. They took the money and ran. Henry II left in the early 70's in disgust (and with no power to make a change).

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 152.160.42.163
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems like there could have been a way to structure the foundation so that it stayed in the hands of the ford family, much like they've structured the company's shares. Whomever made that mistake more than a half century ago i'm sure regrets it. But the reality is that nothing has really changed at the foundation in 30+ years and now it looks like we're saying "the Michigan economy is tanking, you have 11 Billion dollars, you owe it to us"

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1543
Posted From: 70.227.217.189
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what Cox can really do on this one, but I wish him the best. If nothing else, he'll probably shake some more cash out of a group that pretty much ignores Michigan. Kudos to him for that.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I applied for a grant from them for my documentary on the B-C and got turned down. There's no loved loss between the Foundation and me.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 66.174.79.226
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek,

Was your documentary the one showing at the Emagine theater a month or two ago? If so, great info.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 128
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even in New York City, the Ford Foundation was seen as a non-responsive giant in the world of fundraising. Many of the non-profits here complained that they were unacknowledged by their neighbor. So the Ford Foundation started a program called "Good Neighbors" where they allot so much money annually to local Non-profit organizations.

So there's a case where the Ford Foundation listened. Whether or not Mr. Cox or the Ford Family have any legal means behind them, making a just claim can't hurt.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1545
Posted From: 70.227.217.189
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron, yes it was.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 675
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't know what Cox can really do on this one, but I wish him the best. If nothing else, he'll probably shake some more cash out of a group that pretty much ignores Michigan.

yes: tax-paying non-voters.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1494
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"it looks like we're saying "the Michigan economy is tanking, you have 11 Billion dollars, you owe it to us""

Maybe that is what we're saying. If so, I have no problem with that. The Ford's started their stupid foundation here in Detroit, and now St Louis and Cleveland get more money?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.