Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » My experience last night downtown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 71.65.15.68
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to have a mini-rant about what happened to me last night in downtown Detroit. I expect to take some heat for posting this, but I feel like I need to tell someone, because I was pretty upset by it last night.

First of all, I don't live in Detroit, I live in Livonia. After I graduated from college, I lived at my parents' house briefly before purchasing a home. Rather than spend all afternoon making excuses, I'll simply state that based on financial ability, proximity to my employer and resale potential, Livonia made the most sense for me. Aruging about why I don't live in Detroit isn't something I want to discuss at the moment.

That said, I love Detroit. I've lusted over potentially purchasing a loft downtown, and point to the 1001 Woodward building as my "dream home" of sorts, even though I know nothing about it other than $275+/sqft seems a bit out of my means. My girlfriend, who used to refer to Detroit as "de-toilet" now loves spending time there. We've gone to games, skated at the park numerous times, frequented festivals, concerts, theaters, clubs, bars and restaurants. I probably am downtown on average at least once a week

Her parents don't live near Detroit, and they typically only visit on their way to Metro Airport prior to flying out on vacation. They were here for the evening last night, and I decided to plan a night downtown for us. They hadn't been there in at least 10 years.

I had two places in mind - Slows BBQ or Pizza Papalis (in Greektown). Fancy wasn't necessary, as her parents are quite satisfied if the food is good and the beers are tall. Since the Greektown neighborhood is a little easier on the senses for out-of-towners, I decided pizza was in order.

I parked in my usual area; a spot near Bookies on Washington Blvd. From there we walked over to Woodward, down to Campus Martius, and stopped inside the Compuware building. As an aside - I'd say the Hard Rock looked about 3/4 full (thought I'd mention that since I know there has been concern/discussion about its popularity).

We walked up Monroe to Greektown, had dinner, and walked back to the fountain at the park. After a little persuasion, I convinced her parents that it would be a beautiful night to go down to the river in front of the Ren Cen. By this point, they were most impressed with the CBD, saying things like "this looks like Chicago", or "the sax player in Greektown reminds me of New Orleans." I think I even heard a comparison to NYC in there. Personally, I think we have a long way to go, but hey, I was thrilled to hear such glowing reviews. I pointed out buildings, giving out brief trivia, and we even discussed the skywalk to the Guardian Bldg. (referencing what I learned about it on this board).

The night was going very, very well. Dinner was great, Detroit looked great, and everyone was satisifed. Now, from what happened this point on wasn't a deal-breaker, but it certainly soured my mood for the night.

I've always noticed the neighborhood between Woodward and washington Blvd. to be "questionable." Typically nobody is even around, but the abandoned buildings and grit really set the tone. We took State St. to connect back to Washington (to the car) from Woodward.

About halfway through, two men approached us. I've certainly been hassled downtown before - who hasn't? Usually it's for some spare change, a "chicken dinner", or bus fare. Helping out the less fortunate is a totally separate issue, but I've found it's usually best to just avoid it on the street. One man approached my girlfriend and I, another her parents. I don't recall exactly what he said to us, but I recall the term "white boy" thrown out several times, and a lot of references to "you come down here, you've heard about us black people..." He was most interested in the leftover styrofoam carton I was carrying - in retrospect, it was something I would have been better off not carrying through there. I didn't pay attention to a majority of what he was saying, I just kept silent and sped up the pace, gripped her hand. The only thing outstanding was this truly felt threatening, and I've never felt threated downtown. Perhaps I'm just naive and forgot that Detroit is still a dangerous town.

The other man ranted to her parents about some religious nonsense, and her dad screwed up - he engaged in conversation with him. The only response I actually recall was "you have you beliefs, I have mine." When arguing didn't work, he finished with "that's one fiiine piece of white ass", about my girlfriend, right to her father's face. Straight class. Fortunately, her dad didn't respond, though her mom said accusingly "he just said that about your daughter."

I apologized profusely when we got into the car, skipping my alternate plan of entering Bookie's if they didn't leave us alone. In my mind, these two idiots really f'd up an otherwise excellent evening. We ended with a driving tour of the Ford Field neighborhood, per an earlier conversation, before we got out of town.

It won't stop me from going back by any means, but what a lousy end to an evening.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that part of downtown does suck. Woodward and the east part of downtown is really the bumpin' part

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 347
Posted From: 69.209.145.251
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankly I think a nice "fuck you" would have been in order.

Wazootyman

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, until you find out he's got a weapon, and then a simple "fuck you" spirals into something far worse.

It's a shame really, because going out for hassle-free walks at night is one of my favorite abilities in suburbia, and I'd have a hard time dealing with that on a regular basis if I moved downtown. Gah.

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 344
Posted From: 68.42.181.134
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm sorry that happened, Wazooty. every big city has its street crazies, though (including Chicago, New Orleans, and especially NYC!). during the weeks i work downtown (especially during skirt weather) i get all kinds of crap yelled at me on the street, just for being a woman walking alone. personally i think Blessyouboys had the right idea, but sometimes it's just better not to let those people know you're even affected, because what they want is to see you squirm.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 357
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don`t agree with the fuck you part either I stand my ground pretty well but get into a scuffle and crack you knuckles on someones head that may have something like hepatitis c and you`ve got a disease for life ..
and from what I`ve seen over the years that bum has nothing to lose whats going to jail for a few days when your homeless with no job

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1191
Posted From: 69.47.194.247
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too have something to vent about it, I hope you don’t mind Wazootyman.

On Friday night I took a large group of friends downtown to bar hop and have dinner.

We ended a great night at a bar that I will not name. Anyway there were about 12 of us sitting at a table near the windows having some beers, when we see the bouncer throw a college-aged skinny male into the street. The kid clearly drunk, put his hands up, as if to signal he was no threat and didn’t want any more trouble. The kid took a few steps back then the bouncer unprovoked started punching him in the face.

I was very irritated by this event. As someone whose family has operated bars and clubs in the city and the suburbs I know the bouncer was 100% out of line. When I had first entered the bar I noticed that the bouncer wore black gloves, a good indication that he likes to tussle, and I even commented to my buddy about the gloves. Low and behold 30 minutes later he was using them.

I know as well as anyone, that there are scuffles and fights in all bars, but I was so turned off by the way this bouncer handled the situation, that I question whether I will go back to this bar. Especially after watching the hero’s welcome the bouncer was given by his colleagues upon returning to the front of the bar.

I have been tempted to contact the bar owner since Friday. I may tomorrow morning.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 915
Posted From: 69.220.69.40
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then if the kid had some friends outside with a gun who capped the bouncer, we'd be hearing about the poor bouncer and how dangerous Detroit is. Pathetic.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 394
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are some nuts down there, but if you want to move downtown you have to get use to it. Just reality when living in a major city. What makes it FEEL more dangerous is the lack pedestrian traffic in certain parts of downtown being hassled in Greektown feels safer than in Capitol Park.

Drm

Post Number: 916
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, I would have called the cops if I saw that (bouncer beating the fuck out of a harmless kid). The bar better hope the kid doesn't get a lawyer.

(Message edited by DRM on April 02, 2006)

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 348
Posted From: 69.209.145.251
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, I probably wouldn't have let a "f*** you" slip, but that's what people who hassle others for no reason deserve in that situation. I wrote that because I'm sick of hearing stories so similar to Wazooty's.

It's the fact that these assholes prejudge any white faces who walk down the street as pussies with money that pisses me off most.

I'm smart enough to know not to escalate the situation when something like this happens, rather, I prefer to laugh about it since I know walking away more hastily (appearing bothered), will only make the situation worse since they think they can get away with being an asshole without recourse.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2422
Posted From: 66.167.58.14
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry about your encounter Wazooty but, all things considered, it sounded pretty minor and you can happy for that. I will guarantee you that will happen to you in any large downtown if you visit them enough. There are a lot of dumped mentally ill folks in all big cities and always a few nasty mouth jerks. Looks like your turn came up.

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 405
Posted From: 71.227.26.131
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this type of response has become pretty much cliche, but I once saw that exact same bar scenario play out on Rush St (sp?) in Chicago, with lots of people watching. Unfortunately, these types of incidents happen everywhere. It's just harder on us, in Detroit, when we are showing out-of-towners around who might have an idea that this is the worst, most dangerous city on the face of the earth. It feels like the city's reputation is so fragile, that one stupid incident will blow the whole thing.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 69.81.52.28
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an argument for gun control. Sometimes people need to be put in their place, and if it escalates into fisticuffs, so be it. But if it could turn into gunplay, it's just not worth it.

Ddaydave

Post Number: 358
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fisticuffs is an all around bad Idea many bums got where they are from years of drug abuse which means a much higher chance of them having hep c or hiv. Not the kind of person I would want to get into a bloody fight with.

Drm

Post Number: 917
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooha, perhaps there's an argument for NO gun control, because if the skinny drunk kid was packing, maybe the bouncer would have thought twice before pummelling him for no reason.

As far as the two men trying to be intimidating, fuck them, we've all seen their kind a thousand times before. All they need to do is fuck with the wrong person one time and they're out of business. Again, maybe an argument for NO gun control.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 144.147.1.66
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose the next time you go out on the town, you could wear a Batsuit with Batarmor. That would both repel bullets and prevent HIV infection in the event you had to do some chin-checking.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 69.246.27.152
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry to hear about your annoying experience. once in New York I was confronted by similar unprovoked jerk. This one thought I was Jewish and launched a really vile diatribe. The shame for me is that I still remember it and the jerk I bet has long since forgotten.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1330
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are idiots everywhere.

Completely random incidents really should not reflect on the entire city.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 294
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admire your restraint. I've had this happen to me on multiple occasions, outside the Magic Stick or the Post Bar or State Theater or some other venue, that because I am a "white boy in the city" I somehow "owe" them something because I am in "their city." Just take out your cell phone and begin dialing the police and tell them that you are doing so.

What that piece of shit bum said to your girlfriend should have earned him a one-way ticket to the emergency room, but then it would be you or your girlfriend's father going to jail. Ignoring them is the proper course of action, if they follow you (and this will happen sometimes), threaten to call the police immediately. Take comfort in the knowledge that the streets will no doubt take care of these gentlemen in due time.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I for one would like to know what bar it was where the bouncer beat-up that kid up. There are consequences for all actions good or bad. If that bouncer likes to beat people up then we need to know the name of the place because us not patronizing a place that allows their employees to fuck people up is our way of voting against that kind of behavior. And, make no mistake, in this society we live in, the only thing that matters when it comes to real change is the dollar vote.

So, I would encourage you to share the name of the place with us. That's my 2 cents but it's your choice!

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I would call the bar owner DAN and explain the event.

If you want an urban free / hassle free dinner go to a mall resturant in the suburbs. You won't get street music or the general feeling of LIFE.

Saturday night my family & I enjoyed an authentic Mexican meal at Fuenta Elana's. Great live music with dancing too. Felt like I was in San Antonio. No hassles, no car jackings, no drunks just families having fun on a Saturday night.

Now going into the 'D' we know we run the risk of urban behavior. Some times it is bad luck or maybe lack of street sense.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 870
Posted From: 68.248.0.11
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say, as a female, that the area you walked through to get to your car is one of the worst to be in, downtown.

As a woman, I always try to park close to where I'm going, whether I'm with a male, a group, or alone, meeting someone. Mine is the car right in front. If you can't do that, valet (and I never valet).

Women are just naturally a target for a-holes on the street, even if they're walking with men. Then it almost becomes a macho thing for the bad guy to try to humiliate the innocent guys. Just don't think of insulting or fighting, try not to put your female companions in that position ...for all sorts of reasons; hep C, guns, whatever.

I'd say always avoid that stretch between W'ward and Wash. Blvd. late at night, unless there's some big event that has a lot of people on the street. Wait until that day when street traffic is up enough that such encounters couldn't happen.

This stuff absolutely does happen in all big cities. Here I am, well used to Detroit's mean streets, and I was actually chased down a street in Minneapolis by a guy when I made the mistake of walking back to my downtown hotel from a downtown restaurant (biz trip).

I've been followed/menaced in New Orleans, while in a group of males and females.

Take it from me, females are a red flag. Those of us who hang out in cities a lot know this and plan accordingly.

And whoever made the remark about skirt weather, boy is that true. I won't stop wearing skirts, but if I feel menace I am pretty good at adopting a pissed off demeanor that is pretty offputting :-). And that's during the day, on well traveled downtown streets.

But if the guy/bum/possible miscreant merely relays a respectful compliment, I always thank them.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 562
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazootyman, you certainly didnt deserve it, but 2 things popped immediately to mind: 1) I wouldnt walk there and 2) Your girlfriend's Mom doesnt have urban experience, even if she's been to Chicago or New Orleans... you dont go to Cabrini Green or the French Quarter at night and then egg on your husband to some pointless fight.

Dan, dont name the bar unless your call ends up with "take a hike, I'll run my place like I want." Make sure you do call... if not for you, then at least for Rasputin's former son.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 71.156.15.166
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will the likelihood of this happening on State St lessen in the near future? Will Capitol Park's character change after the new bus station is built? What about the new Motor City Live club on Washington Blvd south of Bookies, adding a few more people on the scene at night. (Club's grand opening is soon, last night Paxahau threw a smashing christening party there.) Potential for a bar/restaurant with outdoor seating facing Capitol Park?

Ddaydave

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question for the fellow forumers do you think that buildings like the farwell building which is featured in http://detroitblog.org/ right now has a lot to do with this kind of stuff or are the idoits are going to be there no matter what. I`ve heard of some of the abandoned buildings downtown having 20 or 30 squaters in them ..the detroit blog guy did his homework on that article

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 653
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ddaydave, your right. I think that is one of his best articles yet. Very interesting. I hope that one day that building will be restored...it was a beautiful place

Tomoh

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 71.156.15.166
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anecdotal evidence: although I've been asked for change in Detroit, I've never been hassled. However, last weekend in Chicago I heard a nice "F*CK YOU B*TCH" from a bum to some woman who explained she wasn't gonna give him any money.

Pffft

Post Number: 871
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've gotta agree with East Detroit, I was going to mention that...

As a woman you never try to instigate "your" males to defend someone's honor.

(Message edited by pffft on April 02, 2006)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1855
Posted From: 216.203.223.90
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that this happened to you...
Stuff like this always seems to happen when you bring guests with the intention of showing them that things are not so bad.
Downtown has lots of panhandlers hovering around and yes, it seems that if you have a woman or parents with you, you become a more desireable target.
I've yet to see any panhandlers hanging around outside Slows. (Though I am well-acquainted with the tribe that hovers outside Mexican Village)
Why not take the girlfriend and parents there, (Slows) that is, if they can be persuaded to come back.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 625
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not unless you want him to be real manly dead.

Drm

Post Number: 918
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear there's a gang called the "Corktown Dawgz" (possibly an offshoot of the Dexter Dawgz?) that keeps the Slow's BBQ block safe.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 69.136.142.60
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question for the fellow forumers do you think that buildings like the farwell building ... right now has a lot to do with this kind of stuff or are the idoits are going to be there no matter what. I`ve heard of some of the abandoned buildings downtown having 20 or 30 squaters in them

You pretty much answered your own question. It's just like a balloon. Say you demolish/rennovate the Farwell. Guess what? The bums have to go some place else, they don't just evaporate or change instantly to working-class members of society. Where do they go? More than likely just other abandoned buildings -- or rail ditches and freeway overpasses. If you put pressure on one place of the balloon, it doesn't dissappear, it just puts more pressure on other areas.

So a key to handling the bum ordeal would be to either tear down, seal up, or rennovate most of the abandoned structures. Gee, wonder which one of those are most likely.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3467
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazooty,

To be honest, I expected something much worse than how you started this off, but it is incredibly unfortunate you befell these guys. It was a good thing that there was four of you, as well, or the situation could have gotten really sticky.

As for the comments, very rude, but it can happen anywhere. When I was in London on my spring break a few years back, I was with a few classmates, a drunk guy came up and pinched a female classmates butt, said some pretty lewd things and then ran off. On that same trip in Paris, a guy walked up to me when I was in a group asking me for money in a mix of French and broken English. I told him I didn't have money, and that I didn't speak French (in the little French I had), but that didn't seem to satisfy him, so I picked up my pace and tried to ignore him. Finally, when my teacher say that he was hassling me she said something very firm to him in French, and the guy raised up his hand as if he was putting some kind of curse on us and darted off.

I guess my point is that crazy stuff happens, and that as long as it doesn't turn violent to just take it for what it is: strange urban residents. The thing is, a city attracts all kinds of people, for better or for worse, both the good and bad.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 24.192.148.148
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with that Capitol Park area. I have been hasseled by a bum that mentioned to my friend(who is African American) that he should understand where he(the bum) was coming from when the rest of us "white people" refused to give up change. This was at 6pm on a weekday evening.

When I walk around town at any time of the day I generally avoid that area. Either I stay on Washington or stay east of Woodward. I would recommend walking along Michigan ave. from Woodward to Washington. A little busier as far as cars driving by. Then again I don't walk the area on a daily basis...

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1255
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear of such a situation, but I have to wonder why, if Wazootyman parked in his usual place over near Bookies on Washington Blvd. and knew "the neighborhood between Woodward and washington Blvd. to be "questionable," he didn't park closer to his destination under the circumstances? Going downtown with a bunch of friends isn't the same as going with parents who haven't visited in a long time. Whenever I go downtown by myself or with my husband or with a friend, I always park in the proximity of our destination. I don't have to be a block away, but within a reasonable walking distance, or near a People Mover station. And when I'm bringing a friend who doesn't go downtown often, I'm thinking of their best interests in terms of parking and usually hoofing it across downtown is not always the best choice. Frankly, he could have shown off downtown Detroit to his girlfriend's parents, seeing all the same sites, even if he had parked somewhere on the east side of Woodward in the vicinity of Campus Martius or Bricktown or Greektown. Hindsight is 20/20, but this is a lesson learned IMO.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4757
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's be honest here. Hypothetical situation. Wazootyman drops an F-bomb on the guy, the guy pulls a gun, Wazootyman gets shot. what's the over-under on how many posts it would take one of the village idiots on the Forum to say that Wazootyman deserved it for mouthing off?

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we have all had similar incidents in downtown Detroit. I had a similar one in Chicago a few years ago and always seen to have at least one every Vegas trip.

The thing about running in to "that guy" is that you feel like a puss for not kicking his ass. Or at least trying to. You know you shouldn't, you know you the best thing to do is to keep walking but you want to.

You know he was probably picking up used cigarettes out of ashtrays or shooting up behind a dumpster he just finished eating out of or blowing someone for $5 a few seconds ago but for some reason you had to cross his path. Now he's angry that your white ass is in his hood' and he wants to make you feel as uncomfortable as he feels when he falls asleep on the bus and ends up in Livonia.

Just keep walking unless he touches you or her then pick up something and beat him with it. No one will care. Just don't get any on ya.

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 345
Posted From: 68.42.181.134
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the "skirt weather" person was me, Pffft, and i too express thanks when the heckling is complimentary...:-) in fact, i get nicer compliments at times from the more gracious homeless gentlemen than i do from the guys i date! LOL

Drm

Post Number: 920
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_aram, king of the village idiots on the Forum, crawl back in your hole.

The_aram

Post Number: 4759
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, you know it would happen. Remember the thread about the Super Bowl shooting?

Drm

Post Number: 921
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or crawl back into your LTD, and for god's sake, don't roll down the windows or look at anyone funny. Parallel parking? What's that! Oh no, wherefore shall I park!

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 68.77.161.71
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped reading these posts after the "FUCK YOU".

I would have said fuck you and when he showed his weapon, drawn mine (I have been trained in close combat retail defense) and BLASTED his ass into a box, Called the police myself and waited for a key to the city.......
Wazootyman - Sorry about how you were treated here, it was wrong as it would be if it happened where you live, but imagine how black folk have been treated historicly in the whitest city in America, Livonia....

Pffft

Post Number: 872
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superray...

Funny, me too! Very often you get the courtliest compliments coming from the homeless.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 672
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, i think it was super_d that said something to the effect of "the unspoken rule on the street is keep your mouth shut, or you'll get you grille blew out." that statement concerned the girl killed during the super bowl festivities.

my dad always said that you may exercise your options, and end up being "dead right." the situation was handled appropriately, other than exposing a group of people in an area known to be a risk, and possibly removed from help and shelter.

(by the way - a couple years back, i had parked on washington and ridden my bike to the demf. on my way back, as i approached washington, some dude ran around the corner and shouted out "here comes some white dude on a bicycle." that is definitely a place where one should be careful.)

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 560
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes indeed, a very annoying and scary occurence. Sounds like both of those guys were two asshole bums that don't have a life - and sounds like about 65% normal brain function, if that.

I was in Chicago once, walking near the new aquarium (well it was new then). Then this bum who obviously didn't have normal brain function started screaming and gesturing towards smacking my girlfriend on the ass. He actually cocked his arm as such and closely followed us for about a 1/2 block.

My sister pulled out her cell and loudly say 'Yes, is this the police?' Good enough for the idiot to retreat and we went on with our day. I won't allow shit like this to change how I feel about Chicago.

I've lived in Manhattan, Atlanta, and DC. Run of the mill stuff.

It does come with the territory. I just advise that everybody be careful and watchful everywhere they go. These kinds of people can be found all over. Mainly - keep coming to the D. The more folks come downtown and visit, it will assure that many others realize that the good experiences far out-weigh the bad ones.

later - naturalsister

Drm

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman, if you had a couple of beers in you, then you wouldn't be legally carrying your weapon and your ass would end up in jail. Forget the keys to the city, a couple hundred inmates might have keys to your ass.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 656
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAH

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 542
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen aggressive street fighting incidents on multiple occasions in bucolic....Milford.

On my first trip to Chicago, we were driving to the loop on a main drag and a black lady crossing the street screamed "HONKIES" at us.

I've even dealt with agressive behavior and threatening comments in Troy, and I never visit Troy unless I have to, which isn't often.

And I wouldn't bring visitors who haven't been to downtown Detroit in a long time anywhere near Capitol Park to show off the best of downtown.

Dan

Post Number: 1192
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. I am not going to name the bar. I am going to call the Owner, explain what I saw, and that will be that.

2. Dhugger, I was not starting a suburb vs city debate. I clearly stated in my post that this kind of shit happens in any and all bars at some point. Dinner in a mall is hardly hassle free, I would much rather eat downtown then in a mall.

I will not be scared away from the city, or any bar because of fighting. What really irritated me was the culture that seemed to exist at that particular bar. If a bouncer that worked for me was wearing those gloves, I would ask why? If a bouncer that worked for me was congratulated by his fellow bouncers for beating someone without provocation I would fire the whole lot of them. That sort of behavior is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 673
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I would have said fuck you and when he showed his weapon, drawn mine (I have been trained in close combat retail defense) and BLASTED his ass into a box, Called the police myself and waited for a key to the city.......

you'd still be waiting for the keys after your life was turned upside-down by lawyers, and you'd be a minimum of sixty grand in the hole just to prove your innocence and exemption from liability, while you, your friends, and family were run ragged from the process. and by the way, don't think that lawyers aren't real good a dredging up posts like the one you made showing your hard-on for shooting someone.

the best way to survive a gunfight is to avoid a gunfight, simple as that - and the gunfire is only the beginning of the gunfight.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 12.45.2.184
Posted on Sunday, April 02, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think DETROIT should have more police visually downtown. Walking the streets in DETROIT can be bad for you health, forget coney island chilli chesse fries!313

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 817
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'y-t' is soooooooooo funny!

Let me tell you ma' story.....

Last weekend I was downtown....walking to a parking garage about 12:15 am, where I had parked for the night__ A white couple was heading in my direction walking across the street toward the garage.....the white guy took his wife/ or girlfriends purse from her and held it tight in HIS hand.....as I passed by and looked back at the white couple, I noticed that they even started a light jog to their apparent destination.....I assume so horrified that I was gonna try to 'JACK THEM'!

Man! 'Wazootyman'__ If I may evoke the discourse of one of amerikkkanas so-called great leaders, billy (it's hard to be a pimp) clinton.... I feel your pain! (yeah right)

super d(motordetroit)

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 543
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^hasn't your ass been banned, YET?

Drm

Post Number: 925
Posted From: 68.73.53.185
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were probably frightened when they heard you mispronouncing "big" words and using them improperly.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 12.45.2.184
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't it been something if you did try to JACK EM' and they opened a can of whoppppe-assMATRIX style on you!!!313

Super_d

Post Number: 818
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Detroit313'

Naaaw! I'm too sophisticated for 'snatch and grab'. I'm the other kind-of-brotha' 'y-t' worries about! (wink wink)

super d(motordetroit)

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 657
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they were probably members of this forum, who knew to much about your racism, super_d. I'd be afraid too

Wazootyman

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys make a lot of good points, I appreciate the insight. No, it wasn't a terrible ending. I suppose more of it had to do with the feelings I had immediately surrounding the event. I don't usually get shaken up over this kind of stuff, but this stuck with me all night.

To be honest, I didn't know the particular area I walked in had such a reputation. I'll probably try to avoid it in the future. To be fair, her father was a public servant in a rough city for many years, so the encounter wasn't entirely shocking to him. He immediately acknowledged that this happens in any city.

As for why I parked there? I wanted an excuse to walk them down Woodward, to Campus Martius, back up to Greektown. It was a nice night, and I figured if I just parked in a structure in Greektown, it would have been a harder sale to get them to walk down to the park. In addition, I have never, ever have had an issue walking from Washington in the dozen or so times I have parked over there. I guess I've been lucky. A lesson learned.

Funny that you mention walking up Michigan - I was actually going to do that on the way back, but decided against it as I recalled the sidewalks being closed next to the Book Cadillac.

For better or worse, the girl and her parents have decided it will just be a "funny story" to tell others. I just hope they pass along their positive impressions of Detroit along with the story.

I'm going downtown again next weekend with my friend (a former Detroiter who used to work downtown for Olympia), his girlfriend from Spain and my girlfriend. I think we'll find a better place to park. Then again, he used to go to Harpos, so I'm pretty sure he's seen it all.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2198
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bummer deal about the way the night ended for you there. I sincerely feel for ya there. I really hope that this one isolated incident hasn't spoiled your perception of the area and more importantly your girlfriend's & her parents (you seem much more at ease with this than they do).

Regardless if I'm taking a seasoned city dweller or green horn from the 'burbs, I always try to accomodate my guests by parking closer to the venue. I really rather not be hassled if I can help it nor do I want my friends and/ or family hassled, but I do understand your wanting to show them around the area. I hope that this kind of scenario never happens to you again and that you can still enjoy this fine city of ours.

Skamour14
Username: Skamour14

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 67.185.180.156
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny thing is with Dan I also was their... The magic Stick is one bad ass place to see the bouncers throw someone out.. get them outside.. and commence to whooping their ass on the street.... tough crowd

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 836
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Dont go near Capital Park after dark. When walking from the east side of downtown to the west, do not use State st. or Grand River. Use Michigan ave, Clifford or walk up to Grand Circus Park and cut over. This goes for everyone.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 586
Posted From: 66.227.165.194
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HIV, Hep C... you will get mrsa before any of those.

anyone ever think that we are just assuming that theses jerks were bums?

maybe it was just a couple of racist jerks who lost quite a bit of money in the casino and had to take it out on the first white people they saw?

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1702
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dont go near Capital Park after dark. When walking from the east side of downtown to the west, do not use State st. or Grand River.

I walk that all the time and never once had an issue.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 436
Posted From: 172.164.21.129
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Super_d's post highlights the definite fact that on any given weekend night downtown, there are plenty of white folks engaging in any number of instances of racial stereotyping and insensitivity. A lot of unacceptable behavior is occurring.

I'm sure I'm being naive, but I wonder if Wazooty's post and some of the other posts in this thread have opened some eyes a little bit to the universal scope of hate and racism. FWIW, I have also had a couple of ugly encounters in Detroit along the lines of "white boy, get your cracker ass out of our city." It's not like it's an epidemic, but as this thread shows, these encounters are not uncommon at all. Some might say that this shows that hate and racism can exist in all of us. And I know that there are others who contend that the cracker ass slurs cannot be racist.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 734
Posted From: 4.229.69.204
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"As a woman, I always try to park close to where I'm going, whether I'm with a male, a group, or alone, meeting someone. Mine is the car right in front. If you can't do that, valet (and I never valet). "

Good advice if you hang out in Royal Oak on weekends too.

"anyone ever think that we are just assuming that theses jerks were bums? maybe it was just a couple of racist jerks who lost quite a bit of money in the casino"

Maybe those two things are the same thing.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1051
Posted From: 68.60.143.186
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no doubt that the incident super_d descibed happens, most likely on a daily basis unfortunatly, but the way he talks makes it sound like just because it happens it is ok for things like what happened to Wazootyman to take place. It is this us versus them attitude (which exists on all sides) that is not allowing us to move forward as a society.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3569
Posted From: 68.73.55.74
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry

Hey Super_d: Remember "FEAR of A Black Planet"??

Gumby: Watch out for the HAND! It means REJECTION; it's a bitch ain't it!

Black-atcha ... still krackin' up

(Message edited by Rasputin on April 03, 2006)

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 140
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black man + Black woman = Black baby
White man + White woman = White baby
Black man + White woman = Black baby
Watoozyman + Black Detroit = Cry baby

Why'd you park all the way over there if you were going to greektown? Walking back on Washington late at night you're bound to get hassled, at least.

Should've gone to Slow's if you wanted a squeaky clean night.

Wazootyman

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog,

Cry baby? I already explained my reason: I wanted an excuse to walk them down Woodward to the park, then back up to Greektown. We walked to the riverfront, too. I think one of the best aspects of an urban setting is the ability to walk everywhere.

I'm not trying to "cry" about what happened. It's over and ended without major incident.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 512
Posted From: 63.240.201.51
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah i'd never let older guests of the city walk through that area by Washington. That sucks, sorry.

eastside dog way to bring up the race thing, shallow minds, push shallow thoughts

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 872
Posted From: 66.184.29.148
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dan

We ended a great night at a bar that I will not name. Anyway there were about 12 of us sitting at a table near the windows having some beers, when we see the bouncer throw a college-aged skinny male into the street. The kid clearly drunk, put his hands up, as if to signal he was no threat and didn’t want any more trouble. The kid took a few steps back then the bouncer unprovoked started punching him in the face.

I was very irritated by this event. As someone whose family has operated bars and clubs in the city and the suburbs I know the bouncer was 100% out of line. When I had first entered the bar I noticed that the bouncer wore black gloves, a good indication that he likes to tussle, and I even commented to my buddy about the gloves. Low and behold 30 minutes later he was using them.

As someone who worked in one of you dad's places downtown that shit happened there too.

Ask Perry about the Bruce brothers working security, Violent J from ICP and his brother Rob. Those guys would go to town on unruly patrons at the drop of a hat.

Plenty of the security staff wore gloves and body armor with chest plates back in the day.

I am sure the Sid's running security up in Pontiac could generate a few stories too.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, nothing really happened so why all the fuss?

Just cleverly quotin' "Fear of a Black Planet." That was a really good PE album, act like you know. :-)

If you wanna give out of towners a tour without incident, drive. It's so much easier and prettier anyways. Whenever, I bring old white folks from the burbs downtown. We drive around and to the restaurant. Old folks mostly hate walking anyways, they have no desire to really "experience the city" so why push it on them?

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 148.87.1.172
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing Ras was one of those crazy bums who harassed you, probably the one who was ranting biblical quotes while foaming at the mouth and smelling like $hit.

Glad to see that you've moved on from this experience Wazootyman. Ras is just an angry ignorant, uneducated fool who berates everyone because of the fact that his life didn't amount to $hit, not to mention the fact that he has very low self-esteem. He prides himself by harassing people on the streets and in this forum. Don't be afraid though, he's all talk...

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 146
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't recall exactly what he said to us, but I recall the term "white boy" thrown out several times, and a lot of references to "you come down here, you've heard about us black people..."

Vas, race was of issue in this thread from the very beginning.

Don't worry Wazootyman, Danny says downtown will be whitewashed and safe soon. JK. :-)

But really, it's cool you and your girlfriend come downtown to visit. Detroit needs suburbanites that are will to give the city a chance.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DAN = my comment about the bar was to you. Yes it was aggresive and frightening behaviour by this bouncer and totally in appropriate as explained by you.

Dinner in the suburbs comment was actually suggested to the initiate of this thread > Wazootyman <. Now that I reflect back on it perhaps rather testy and uncalled for...but I am so used to my extended family bashing Detroit that my flip response is a habit and not always well thought out I admit.

The sad part about much of the street hassles are mentally ill folks who have been dumped by the system. They are being victimized too. It is a problem facing most major metropolitan areas in the country. It is shameful how we treat the menally ill. Letting them beg, wonder and act out then just incarcerate them. The prison systems admittedly are overflowing with the mentally ill and are not equipped to handle these folks.

So I apologize if I offended anyone here. As I said I was shooting from the hip not from the head.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walking the earth as a conscious human being is one of the hardest things we can do as people. As children, the path is very wide but if we live, and learn to live, the path gets narrower and narrower. As adults we are responsible for everything we say, do, or think but as children we are not responsible because we don’t know anything and have not attained the age of reason or enlightenment. Childhood is truly the only time we are ever victims of anything. If we live beyond childhood, and, that time period is different for all of us, then we are responsible for everything about our life that we are volitional about.

The important question and maybe the only question relevant to our own situation is, “What was my part in the encounter?” I don’t have to spell out what I mean for you to see how your actions and decisions caused you to find yourself in the situation you were in with your girlfriend and her parents. You choose to be an “urban warrior” and you got your payoff even if wasn’t what you were looking for. What you forgot is that when you do things that involve other people they have their part to play in the drama, too. And, more often than not they are not working from your script.

Some might say, “All of this drama called life is nothing more than a stage for us humans to work out our spiritual destiny, to learn our unique lessons of life or that it’s just all random “shit” that “happens.” I don’t have any special insights so you choose the way to see this situation is given your unique beliefs, attitudes, values and experiences. As for me, I just find it something else to talk about that will grease the skids for me to have insights, lessons, and spiritual awakenings on my life’s path.

“It is better to be a live dog then a dead lion!”

Livedog2

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2197
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It happens in every big city why do you think Detroit should be immune from this? Just because it is Detroit every little thing gets blown up out of proportion. It ain't perfect but its getting better.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt in other cities you'd have people siding with the bums though...

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lot of the "bums" are also mentally ill and have no where to go...many of them are not even from Detroit they just end up here from various suburbs. There was a problem a few years ago with releasees from mental hospitals and prison being let loose in Detroit. Ever wonder why you don't see these people in Birmingham or Troy or even Grosse Pointe? It is because they are all brought here or somehow get themselves here to take advantage of the resources here (limited they may be)...there are at least programs in the city. I doubt if B'ham or Troy even have homeless shelters.

Pffft

Post Number: 873
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, you see them all over Royal Oak.

Super_d

Post Number: 819
Posted From: 69.246.115.80
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What up 'Ras', its like the counter-attack on world supremacy!

'peep' this.....

'I got so much trouble on my mind
I refuse to lose
Here's your ticket
Hear the drummer get wicked
The crew to you to push the back to Black
Attack so I sat and japped
Then slapped the Mac
Now I'm ready to mike it
(You know I like it)
Hear my favoritism roll "Oh"
Never be a brotha like to go solo
Lazer anastasia, maze ya
Ways to blaze your brain and train ya
The way I'm livin'forgiven
What I'm givin' up
X on the flex hit me now
I don't know about later
As for now I know how to avoid the paranoid'

WELCOME TO THE TERRORDOME!...........

Public Enemy, Welcome to the Terrordome, 'Fear of a Black Planet'

super d(motordetroit)

The_aram

Post Number: 4760
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ever wonder why you don't see these people in Birmingham or Troy or even Grosse Pointe?

There aren't any abandoned buildings for them to eat, sleep, and shit in?

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 513
Posted From: 70.238.44.97
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look Super D whines about white people fearful of him on the street, yet he prides about rules of the hood and how that white girl didn't abide by those rules and got shot on Super Bowl week-end.

which way do you want it Super D?

white people afriad of you and 'rules of the hood'

or white people not afraid of you and no rules of the hood?
You can't have it both ways! Quess you can't make the connection.

cherishing the streets, but not liking when people are afraid of those streets

.....people can't seem to make connections between what they adopt and how people react to these things...........

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2200
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice aram...typical class act again.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 69.51.137.10
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a rough experience on Saturday night as well. I parked my car on the street on Jos Campeau near Atwater Brewing company. Came out the next morning to find that somebody kicked in the driver's side door panel.

I chalk it up to some drunk bastard. But it really pisses me off that my personal property was damaged senselessly.

Makes me wanna swear.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 775
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god that was all that happened to your car parked there overnight...

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 301
Posted From: 69.51.137.10
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seemed like an allright area to me.

The_aram

Post Number: 4761
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nice aram...typical class act again.

just telling it like it is. i am well aware of the lack of options many of these people have after the wholesale hackjob Engler and co. did on the Michigan mental health system. that being said, there's a reason why people with nowhere to go choose downtown Detroit- because there's plenty of places they can squat, and plenty of people they can pimp for change.

Dan

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toolbox

You forgot my last paragraph

"I know as well as anyone, that there are scuffles and fights in all bars, but I was so turned off by the way this bouncer handled the situation, that I question whether I will go back to this bar. Especially after watching the hero’s welcome the bouncer was given by his colleagues upon returning to the front of the bar."

I am very aware that shit happened and happens at bars run by my family, but I have never seen it happen so brazenly and to someone that was absolutely not a threat. He was not unruly; I was sitting near the door, and didn't even notice him until he was being thrown into the street.

I told the bar owner. He was happy to hear my report. I will return to the bar. I was just irritated.

I would ask anyone who sees something like that to tell me or my dad, just the same.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1858
Posted From: 66.2.149.55
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and because if these folks showed up in any of the suburbs, they would be picked up and dumped back in Detroit.
I just got back from a trip to Royal Oak, where they have these new pedestrian crosswalks on Main St.
I used one once to cross the street.
Wow! The traffic actually stops to let you across!
My errand completed, I was recrossing at the same spot and was nearly run down by a left turning lexus-driving dink talking on his cellphone.
Good to be back home. Outrunning agressive street people is easier than dodging distracted yuppies in 3000 pound vehicles..

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 149
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At what point did these two guys become officially homeless and mentally ill. Talk about wild assumptions. This thread is ridiculous.

Livedog2, nice post. I think you explained what happened better than any of us.

This is a lot of getting worked up for nothing. Come on!

Chachadoll
Username: Chachadoll

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 64.231.183.193
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked in that area as a Social Worker and it is incredibly seedy especially at night. Next time part at the Compuware building since it's centrally located. Also anyone can encounter a crazy person. It happens in most big cities. Take for instance this past weekend Howard Stern and his girlfriend were walking home in NYC after having dinner and a crazy man harassed them and spit in his girlfriend's face.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7145
Posted From: 66.2.148.51
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram - Why does the city of Detroit have more facilites and NSOs for the homeless? Why do non-profit money for those places come into Detroit and not other cities.

The abandoned buildings are not the reason that the CoD has the burden of the mentally ill and homeless.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1054
Posted From: 204.39.225.164
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More or less what I was saying Vas. I think it is horrible that someone in this day and age would get so freaked out by a black person walking by them. But unlike Ras and super_d I am also appalled by the way those jack asses accosted Wazootyman.

Yet another example of the real racists showing themselves.

Tomoh

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 71.227.90.8
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is much more legally accomodating to the homeless and panhandlers compared to other major cities.

That homeless shelter in the Cass Corridor sure isn't helping any possible revitalization of the surrounding neighborhood. I say move it to Troy, Michigan's Downtown.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3570
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, there wasn't even a need to post this schitt at all!! from a WEAK SAMF that needed to keep his ass in Livonia ....with his momma & daddy!!

Black-atcha ..... giving him 2 pats on the ass and sending him home crying

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3477
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please forgive, Ras. You know, it's hit time of the month, again. Wait, who am I kidding? It's his time of the month, everyday. Chronic PMSing's a bitch, ain't it, Ras?

Black-atch...showing that age doesn't always seem to bring wisdom, and sometimes bringing the complete opposite: plain foolishness.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 202
Posted From: 68.255.74.171
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pay no attention to the jackass. Someday something bad will happen to Rasputin, then we'll all be able to clap and laugh.

Bagman

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 68.249.8.40
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drm:
I don't drink adult beverages, so I can be armed just about anywhere I go.

The Carl:
You must have paid OR you charge people that kind of crazy money to walk into court a show that a weapon was used to cause one to fear for thier life.......I was responding to the statment woozyman made about once you respond with a hearty "fuck You" you then find out the ASSHOLE had a weapon.....once the weapon is introduced by the ASSHOLE they will find it on him or next to him when they respond to the shooting. The facts are the facts....there are self defense shootings all the time that you will never hear about because as we say "They were good Kills".

I walk from Midtown (as they are starting to call it, it will always be the Cass Corridor to me) to Downtown and anywhere I want.....I don't fuck with anybody and I expect the same respect.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 71.144.116.250
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding Rasputin's aggressively ignorant, 7th grade level comment, see, that is part of the problem. It is bad enough that the downtown area is plagued with a surplus of homeless people, mentally ill people, and various troublemakers, but every big city has that problem. What is, in a way, even worse is that Detroit is home to a legion of knuckle-dragging human trash who have the attitude that visitors to downtown Detroit should cheerfully accept obnoxious thug behavior, and if they have a hard time accepting it, they must be some candy-ass whitey from the suburbs who should just stay away. Screw you, Rasputin. What if it was your granny who was accosted in that way? How now, brown cow?

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 843
Posted From: 69.220.232.15
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ras-putain reminds me of Rupaul with his flambloyant ghetto fabulous tone. Those years in jail left some scars....one of them still wide open! :-)

Bagman

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 68.249.8.40
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chachadoll:
that was Stuttering John looking for a job....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.