Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Cool Cities for 2006 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1544
Posted From: 70.227.217.189
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Warrendale neighborhood put in a bid to be designated a Cool City by the Granholm administration. We found out last week that we made it past the first round in the process.

I'm just wondering if any other neighborhoods in Detroit submitted anything for this year. Please let me know.

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 947
Posted From: 216.78.39.98
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek, what is Warrendale planning to do if they recieve Cool City funding?

Collective
Username: Collective

Post Number: 337
Posted From: 70.8.68.113
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put in a request for the CBD...I'll give you more info if you call me ;-)

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitman:
The official answer to your question (direct from the NOI that I filed last month) is:

quote:

The National Football League and the Super Bowl XL Host Committee intend to build an NFL Youth Education Center immediately adjacent to the Warrendale neighborhood. This will be the largest such center ever built in the nation.

The Warrendale Community Organization seeks to leverage this investment with a series of smaller projects to attract new residents and businesses to the area as well as to address concerns that were raised by the City of Detroit in its 2004 Master Plan for the neighborhood.

The short, simple and direct answer is we don't have anything specific in mind (a couple of smaller projects, but that's it). We're mostly interested in priority access to the 178 different programs that being a Cool City gives you access to (e.g., a scrap tire removal program, a crime prevention program from the Michigan State Police, etc.).

Collective:
I'm reaching for the phone now.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 207
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yay warrendale!

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, so Warrendale and the CBD have submitted applications. Anyone else from Detroit?

I remember seeing folks from southwest Detroit and Visitors & Convention Bureau at the pre-bid workshop. Does anyone know if they submitted an application? If so, what kind of response did they get last week?

Anyone else submit?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 786
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We submitted a joint application between Detroit, and Warren for a mixed-use project along the Van Dyke Corridor - otherwise know as the "V-8 Gateway Collaborative."

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3491
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little off subject, but I was told by a downtown leader (by email) here in Lansing today that the reason the Cool Cities program has been so quiet this year is that this is the last year of the program, even if Granholm is re-elected. He didn't give the reasons, though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.