Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » I Need Your HELP! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aholloway
Username: Aholloway

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 68.43.205.135
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Detroiters, I need your help! I am in the beginning stages of planing my annual Birthday Dinner. Last year the event was held at Fish-bones and things were good, but I did not like the set up of the dinner tables. Everyone was at separate round tables that were set up all over the Atrium. I want to go with a more intimate atmosphere this year. The venue does not have to be small just a nice restaurant that is moderate in the price range, somewhere in the range of 18 to 35 dollars for an entree.

I was going to have my dinner at The Woodward but it only seats 90 people and I will have anywhere between 40 to 75 guests. I want to give our money and business to a downtown restaurant. At first I wanted to give my money to southern hospitality Corp. because it is an African American company.

At this point I just want a nice restaurant that can accommodate up to 40 to 75 guests that has good food and that is located in Downtown Detroit or in the surrounding areas
(not the burbs).

If you could list any restaurants that you believe will be a nice choice for my birthday dinner.

Thank you for you help in advance. God Bless you all.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Magnolia. Really nice, awesome food, moderate prices. Black-owned. Plenty of seating.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 480
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Woodward, Seldom blues and a renovated restaurant in the Fisher Building are all owned by the same group of African Americans: Frank Taylor is one of the owners if I'm not mistaken. Correct me if I'm wrong fellow bloggers.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 817
Posted From: 70.227.84.122
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i had my birthday dinner this year at the grand city grille in the fisher building. great service, good food, nice atmosphere, large enough for your group (i think), and is run by southern hospitality corp.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2210
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love The Buzz Lounge and it would be fun with jazz upstairs afterwards. Menu is limited to sandwiches and pizza but you can't beat the drinks!

Aholloway

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks alot for your help. I tried Magnolia Eastsidedog and they wont allow a party of such a size. They will allow us to use the Key Club above the restaurant.

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just tried Mosiac in Greektown recently. It was great! We had a party of 12 and there was no problem with service or space!

Rusty
Username: Rusty

Post Number: 390
Posted From: 71.201.177.57
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last time I was in Lola's they hosted a birthday group of about 30 people.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 216.144.213.130
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does it have to be an African American Company?

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 24.192.6.193
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The detroit yacht club would be a cool place to have dinner with a large group. The food is very good also. http://www.dyc.com/

Aholloway

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(QUOTE)Reetz12 Why does it have to be an African American Company?

(REPLY)Reetz12 It does not have to be an African American company.

When I first started my search I did want to support an African American business. I believe we should support everyone but I like to give back to my people. All week long I support suburban Companies.

My wanting to give a couple of Thousands of dollars to a black owned restaurant is no different than what a lot of Jews, Asians, and Arabs do.

I am a African American male who lives in the burbs. I want to move back to the city but I work In Ann Arbor.

Anyway. At this time I want just a nice Restaurant Black owned, White owned I don't care as long as the location fits the needs addressed above.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Magnolia, yes!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 69.242.218.76
Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have attended dinners for about 40 or so at Sinbad's in their upstairs Sohar Room. It's a great setting overlooking the river and well within your proposed budget. I've attended group dinners at Sweet Georgia Brown's in Greektown. I really feel special when I'm there. It's somewhat pricey; but I felt we got some bang for our money. Also, I hosted a dinner for 12 at the Rattlesnake Club, again on the river. We had a private room. It was just so smart; but definately pricier than Sinbad's.

Crment
Username: Crment

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 167.236.0.61
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet Loraine's (sp) is another good choice. Food is good and so is the location.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.