Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » If you were king of Detroit, what would you do? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 637
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How would you try to turn around the current state of Detroit if you were Mayor?
Let's try to be positive.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2220
Posted From: 68.40.225.75
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Banish all non-Detroiters from asking or answering this question.

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 69.245.93.12
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annex some of the suburbs. Seriously, all the ones that could practically be annexed to increase the tax base.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 663
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ild??? thatd be productive.

statements likes that are the problem with Detroit. No wonder the suburbs feel they way the do about the city.

(Message edited by motorcitymayor2026 on April 06, 2006)

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire the Mayor and all of City Council. Then get rid of all there appointees and cronies.

Start focusing on the neighborhoods instead of just downtown. Massive cleanups, demolishing vacant buildings, selling city owned properties to builders who will build affordable housing 80k-150k!!!

Make owners of vacant buildings do something with them. Illitch I'm talking to you!!!

Make it easier to do business in the city. Less red tape.

Review all city contracts and ask for new bids. Look out lazy ass union guy.

Privatize as many city services as possible.

Kiss the ass of every business owner currently operating in the city and every business owner operating in the burbs and do whatever it takes to get them in town.

Get Mark Hackel to run the P.D. At any cost.

Hire more cops and have them actually write traffic tickets. Revenue!!!!

Hire more Firemen. Re-open closed stations.

Collect back taxes, water bills, fines... make this a branch of the P.D.

Lower property taxes to 40 mils tomorrow.

.............................. .............................. ...................the list goes on.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4765
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shut down the internet connection at Rasputin's senior citizens' home.

321brian

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCM,

You took the words out of my mouth about ILD.

All I have to say is. Current Detroit residents....nice job with that!

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2221
Posted From: 68.40.225.75
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

321brian/Motorcitymayor = two suburbanites thinking they know it all.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 665
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, youre wrong about that Ilovedetroit. It is pretty common knowledge among the majority of Metro Detroiters, that comments like yours above are one of the reasons this region sucks. I dont think that I know it all.

Oh, and would you have said "two Detroiters thinking they know it all" had I been a resident?? So you know, I will be a resident in Detroit, and I will still hold the same thought... I do more for, care more for, and spend more time in the city than most suburbanites anyway, and your ridiculous comments arent appreciated.

The_aram

Post Number: 4766
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I do more for, care more for, and spend more time in the city than most suburbanites anyway

Can you prove this?

No?

That's what I thought.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 667
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I can, but thats not the point of the post, or the point of the thread. How come u only show up in these threads to try and denegrate me??

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2284
Posted From: 12.75.19.4
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kids, it's a school night. Shuffle off to bed now.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shake it off MCM. This forum can be worse than the concept of the TV show Survivor ... form alliances, conspire and attack others, break alliances, attack all ...
People take these discussions as something that's going to be carved in stone ... and it's intended to be a discussion site. I admire your passion for the city.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 828
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Build African-Town East and West.

Hire all Brothas' that are locked up in the County for bullsh*t drug felonies to work on the project.

Recruit African Brothas' from Nigeria, South Africa, etc. to live here__combine their resources to support the project. Build a international trade with Black regions of Africa.

Set goal for Black population by 2015 to exceed 1 million in the city.

super d(motordetroti)

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2307
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am King of Detroit ... like the Shah of Iran, the missing Romanov heirs, Princess Di, and Count Chocula I am doomed to live the remainder of my days in sad exile from my rightful position.

Oh I can recall the halycon days holding court in Coney King as if it were yesterday ... the annual declaration opening fishfly season ... the annexation of Ann Arbor by Royal decree ... the pomp, pagentry and solemnety of the changing of the guard at Louisiana Creole Gumbo ...

Hysteria

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL !! I remember that, Rustic. Weren't you also the Duke of Northville Township, the Ambassador of Zug Island, the Vicery of the Grosse Pointes, and Downriver's Main Squeeze???

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 1916
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, LOL in AZ:-)

Hysteria

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL !! I remember that, Rustic. Weren't you also the Duke of Northville Township, the Ambassador of Zug Island, the Viceroy of the Grosse Pointes, and Downriver's Main Squeeze???

Had to correct my spelling error in fear of being attacked ...

Rustic

Post Number: 2308
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are amused ... we will share additional memories ... hunting in our Royal Oak ... sending our Sheriff of Wayne into Sherwood Forest to collect back taxes ... Max Greens of Northland royal clothier ... Mott's of Fort St. royal slider shack ... and of course who could forget Sir Todd, Knight of Thursdays or Sir Jimmy, late of knights ...

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 141.213.55.76
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant ahead...

Schools:
4 yrs of:
math, english, social science, science, 3 yrs of same foreign language for all students at all DPS.

Requiring all students to have access to, and take, one advanced placement ,International Bachalaureate(sp), or college course to graduate.

City wide ACT and SAT tutoring at all schools.

Trash the High School Proficiency Test (and MEAP if I could) and tie student performance to SAT II subject tests instead.

Computerize attendance systems so all parents are automatically called when children skip school.

Put teeth in the community service/out of class learning experience requirement.

Raise the GPA eligibility requirement for sports to 2.5 from 2.0.

Start the forensics, model UN, debate, and other extra curriculars suburban schools get.

Cross my fingers that these improvements improve the city in other areas as well.

And if I really had infinte $... free GED training in all homeless shelters, and subsidized, WCCC tuition.

The_aram

Post Number: 4767
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yes I can, but thats not the point of the post, or the point of the thread. How come u only show up in these threads to try and denegrate me??

See, here's the thing. I used to be the annoying high school kid who thought he knew everything about Detroit.

And then I got to college. Got a little more perspective on the real world, especially when it comes to Detroit and politics and the bitter divide our region experiences on a daily basis. And I discovered I didn't really know everything, and started reading my old posts and realized that I was an annoying piece of rah-rah-Detroit crap. And then I realized that what I want to do with my life probably won't include staying in the region.

I think you'll find some of the same things once you go to college and meet people who aren't from Brighton.

It's nice to go hang out in Detroit all the time and spend your money and pat yourself on the back for doing so and swear that someday you'll move to Detroit and be an urban hero of epic proportions... but then the real world hits you and you find it may not be what you want after all.

Good luck to you and all, but don't narrow down your options now. And just because you think you spend more time in Detroit than suburbanites, and think you spend more money downtown than most suburbanites, and think that you care more than most suburbanites do about Detroit, doesn't make it so. Because there's no way you can quantify that.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3495
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, quit it.

But, this was the funniest post of the thread, by far:

quote:

Shut down the internet connection at Rasputin's senior citizens' home.

The_aram

Post Number: 4768
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i mean, we don't know much about the guy. but can you imagine the kind of havoc he causes elsewhere on the interwebs?

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was mayor:
1. Fire Kwame,the "stupid" councils, and Bully-Cummings.
2. Tear down ALL vacant houses to rebuild new ones.
3.Bring new businesses to the city.
4.Vacant buildings in downtown will get a big makeover and bring business into them.
5.Reopen places including police stations and Belle Isle Aquarium.
6.Expand the People Mover by making TWO tracks and making it longer or turn it to a monorail
7.Belance ALL budgets(you hear that Kwame?)
8.Turn Detroit into a REAL high-class(like Chicago and New York) and make it an ALL racial city.
9.Let the Detroiter speak out!!!
10.Get guns,crackheads,drug dealers,etc off the streets. and make Detroit a safest city.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3496
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I hope that none of us ever achieve "king/furor" status in the Detroit city government. lol

I say we outsource the city to India, and let them run this like they are running everything else. Thank you, come again.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 211
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 4:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tear down the eastside

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 547
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put a 10-year moratorium on tax increases for improving or selling property, ie houses, businesses, empty lots

Cut current property tax assessments in half and make them even across the board

Lower the income tax to 1 percent across the board

Let the county health department take over the city health department

Sell as many empy lots, abandoned houses that the city owns as possible for development

Do whatever Rudy Guiliani did with the police department to crack down on crime

Make TRU's plan for a Detroit/Ann Arbor mass transit link a reality as soon as possible

Turn DDOT operations over to DARTA as quickly as possible

Find as many ways as possible to pump as much money as possible into K-12, college and adult education

Set up a fund similar to the Kalamazoo Promise fund that will pay for four years of college at a public state universoty for Detroit students who have lived in the city

Make the Gondela a reality

Build a second bridge over the Detroit River in the Del Ray area and make the jobs tunnell a reality

Balance city budgets

Plant money trees on all vacant lots

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1719
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes you people make it way to easy.

Millingtond
Username: Millingtond

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.128.234.34
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to bring this up but the whole thread if you were "KING" that leads me to believe that there would be no firing of mayors or councils, But then again if there was an actual King of Detroit My buddy Brooks would have him clipped and Oakland county would annex the city and Troy would be downtown.

Chico
Username: Chico

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 141.217.119.185
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hop in the Navigator and enjoy some CHICO-TIME!!!

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1190
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Trash the High School Proficiency Test (and MEAP if I could) and tie student performance to SAT II subject tests instead.

I heard the entire state is doing away with the MEAPs this year, and requiring that everyone take the ACT.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't this topic be titled "If you were King or Queen of Detroit"?

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 388
Posted From: 68.248.16.8
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every Friday would be mandatory taco day downtown, all employers would be required to bring in taco vendors for their employees.

I imagine this would solve all of our problems

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 439
Posted From: 172.168.129.152
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, I respect most of your posts, even the pre UofM ones, but based on this statement....

quote:

I think you'll find some of the same things once you go to college and meet people who aren't from Brighton.

....I can tell that you have been spending too much time with the New Yorkers and other east coast types that are over-represented in Ann Arbor. Don't buy into the "New York is the center of the universe" crap that is inculcated into their minds. Their young adult perspective is just as narrow as that of any young white kid from suburban Detroit. Contrary to the opinions of your new friends, important events do occur and smart and ambitious people do live in the fly over states, including Michigan. I know from first hand experience that the lure of NY/DC/LA/CHI is strong. But don't stop thinking for yourself. The grass isn't always greener in other places.

The_aram

Post Number: 4769
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said that.

What I am saying, and I'm not going to go farther than this, is that what I anticipate doing as a career will not involve the Detroit area. And I'm glad that I opened up my options to pursue things that didn't restrict me to living here for the rest of my life. I value my career more than I value staying within a 20-mile radius of where I was born and educated for the rest of my life. It would be nice to stay in the Detroit area, because I really like it here. But at the same time, I am not willing to restrict myself to careers and options that will keep me here. I think that it's dangerous to go into an experience like college knowing exactly what you want to do with your life and where you want to do it, because then you close your mind to discovering something you like even more.

And, as an aside, I don't think I have any friends here from New York or the east coast. It's a fair assumption to make, perhaps a little on the side of overgeneralization. But not everyone here is from the east coast.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2495
Posted From: 129.105.104.243
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosedaleken, be for real. You cannot change a student population with a rigorous college-prep curriculum overnight. You will see more dropouts and truants than any effective positive outcomes. This is why we make INCREMENTAL changes. I'm sick and tired of legislators and educators who think they are mightier than thou and can change a school system overnight.

Rustic

Post Number: 2310
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, some regal advice. You really should have reciprocated the hospitality you received when you started posting on this forum. Imagine if some world-wise college sharpie with a handful of semesters on his transcript spanked you back when you started posting. I guarantee someone like, oh I dunno, say, DetGuy could have absolutely taken you apart back then (still could too) if he felt like it.

Aram, sure MCM is fulla shit ... big deal so were you then ... so are you now ... so are the vast majority of people on this forum ...

Aram, git over yerself ... you are not the first person to learn a little something between the age of 16 and 20 ... MCM's gonna figger it out on her own in her own way ...

BTW, IMO swingline is wrong, the grass IS pretty much greener virtually everywhere in the US other than SE michigan (and the associated US rustbelt) right now AND in the forseeable future ... but the thing is so what? what does that hafta do with MCM? Or you changin' yer mind about where ya wanna live next? Honest to god aram, it truly does not matter ... get over it and git back to discussing all things Detroit ... believe me your family roots and your formative years in SE michigan will live on in you where-ever ya wind up livin ... (look at expat's DetProject thread for a current example of this sorta thing)

Aram, note: I am a knowitall, fulla shit, pontificating, opinionated, overgrown kid from Detroit who is parta Detroit's brain-drain diaspora holding my own in the womb of the east coast power elite with virtually ZERO probability of ever movin' back home ... so I know of what I speak, lol ...

(I'm sorry about the harsh tone.)

Orignal_d
Username: Orignal_d

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 321 Brian; first stop union bashing, had it not been for unions, the aristocratic powers that be would still be paying slave wages to the craftsmen and artisans that have made this country what it is. Second, if you compare the wages of skilled and non-skilled Detroit city workers to the wages of their counter parts in the private sector you would see that there is a huge gap. For instance a heavy equipment operator for the Water department tops out at around $18.00 per hour whereas a person doing the same job for a private construction firm is paid around $38.00 per hour + benefits. A Water department laborer earns between $9.00 and $14.00 per hour, but a union laborer for a private construction firm begins at or near $16.00 per hour. Privatization is only an open door for greedy politicians to arrange kickbacks, and threaten union workers. Check out what his dis-honor is doing now with bulk trash pickup, raising water and sewer rates etc. I would definately come up with a plan for mass transit linking the airports, Detroit, Lansing, and Ann Arbor. Hiring more police officers and firemen would also be a priority. I would restructure the tax system, so that small businesses could flourish, and so that people would once again want to live in our city. Finally I would take common council back to a ward or district system so that each member could be held accountable for what they are supposed to be responsible for; this current administration I would round them up and run them out of town, they don't deserve to call this diamond in the rough their homes.

The_aram

Post Number: 4770
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Schools:
4 yrs of:
math, english, social science, science, 3 yrs of same foreign language for all students at all DPS.

Isn't this roughly what Lansing is going to start requiring with the class of '11? Either way, this is pretty much the requirements I had to pass to graduate high school in the 'burbs.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 68.43.122.151
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Machoken, I believe you are correct.

Ltorivia, read this entire thread. I'll be damned if my ideas are the least realistic. I'm neither a lawmaker nor an educator but it doesn't take either to see things are seriously flawed.

Aram, I think most of that is in the works already. When I graduated DPS in '01, all students weren't held to those standards. Graduates of schools of choice have always had more options.

321brian

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again Ilovedetroit rips on people from the burbs with ideas and fails to add anything substantial. Shocking!!

The old you don't live here so you don't know defense.

Your problem is that you have seen all the crap going on around you for so long it's normal to you.

You need to step back. Take a look from someone elses point of view and do something other than defending your crappy corrupt mayor and the downward trend of the city.

I guess you think things are fine.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1551
Posted From: 70.227.216.86
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me? I'd use Hart Plaza to host the "World's Largest Jell-O Wrestling Festival."

Use the proceeds to pay off the city's budget deficit so we don't have to lay off anymore cops or firefighters.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 206.208.94.60
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make it a felony charge to WALK IN THE STREET!!!

why does everybody in Detroit forget that we have sidewalks?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a theme among some that:
1) Crime is good, it keeps out poseurs
2) Empty buildings and dirty streets are good, they have character and should be kept empty.
3) Development that doesn't preserve 1930s Detroit is a sin.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 141.209.33.145
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Fnemecek on the Jell-O wrestling, lol.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7151
Posted From: 198.208.251.22
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You need to step back. Take a look from someone elses point of view and do something other than defending your crappy corrupt mayor and the downward trend of the city.

I guess you think things are fine.

No doubt that fresh perspectives are fine and desperately needed but we have a lot of people in SE Michigan that are certain they know everything about the ills of Detroit and the easy fixes that would change everything. It is easy to dismiss the people that work to improve Detroit every day because you know better. I don't agree with the 'your opinion doesn't count' tactic but I understand it. We have a whole lot of people that wish Detroit was better, wish Detroit was a great city and do little in their power to do anything but wish and offer up solutions that they are certain will cure all.

It goes both ways. If half the people that 'wished' Detroit was better actually did something for the city we would be much better off.

All of that said I agree with most of your suggestions. Some are not realistic due to money but are solid ideas none the less.

You never answered my question about your reaction about the Mayor stating they are going after the insurance companies for redlining.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7152
Posted From: 198.208.251.22
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also - I do not mean to imply that you are one of the ones that does nothing for the city. Just pointing out there are a lot of them in this region.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1540
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are the 1st 20 ideas to come to my mind:

1. Transit: Integrated region wide quality bus service

2. Transit: Commuter system to Ann Arbor and Airport, with plans to expand

3. Transit: Light rail for urban core, with plans to expand

4. American Apparel East: Bring a American Apparel (a growing company with relatively low skill worker needs) manufacturing facility to one of the empty factories (Fisher "Body" maybe)

5. Bring rail companies offices, especially Engineering and R&D to the D. (Maybe Talgo wants to develope a LRT platform, maybe Alstrom or Bombardier want a US precense) Either way, the region has the engineers and the suppliers.

6. Re-write the city charter. Council part by wards, part at large. Mayor is one of at large council. Hire city manager. Set up local councils and planning commissions for small impact decisions. Set up the city to function polycentrically, then plan for polycentric growth.

7. Shift property tax system towards land-value taxation

8. Rewrite the zoning code to allow more dense mixed use development with fewer regualations (especially parking requirements) in areas that were or have the potential to be neighborhood centers.

9. Build a fixed guideway transit system from Downtown to Windsor (aerial tram maybe)

10. Rebuild MCS as hotel with some restaurant, conference, and banquet facilities (great skyline views).

11. Rebuild MCS for quasi high speed rail to Grand Rapids, Chicago, Cleveland, and Toronto. AND commuter rail for the entire region.

12. Build parking garages with retail to cap the freeways where major streets cross freeways leaving downtown. Extend the DPM at least to woodward in that area (near the fox) to access them.

13. Renovate the UA and National theatres for performances and the UA building for residential.

14. Create an artists colony in the old Cass Tech high school.

15. Make 2nd, 3rd, and the similar East side streets two way with appropriate bike and pedestrian facilities. Reconnect Park Ave over I-75

16. Create single regional government with leaders elected by population to manage SEMCOG, HCMA, DWSD, DARTA, and cultural functions.

17. Create an green airline that will fly out of the City airport. The planes will be as quiet and efficient as possible. Mostly small planes for many connecting destinations and frequent departures.

18. Expand Eastern Market into a 6 day operation during the daytime. Sunday is for special events/arts/festivals. Foster Urban agriculture, especially when it can work along side other traditional urban uses.

19. Can the Lodge from Wyoming to 8 mile, and recreate commercial blvd with quality transit, residential, and shopping for an urban neighborhood.

20. Redevelope oldest industrial cooridors parts of the lower, inner east side into high tech RD, office/light industrial space. Put urban agriculture on the roofs. (see #18 above)

21. Outreach to expand suburban or city businesses into downtown. All downtown retail should be open till 7ish, 9 on Friday and Saturday and during Christmastime. Downtown will be open 24/7 under my throne!

22. Transit!

Ok, so there are 22, there is also a bit of overlap. I also kept thinking of more as soon as I was ready to post. Keep in mind these are the "king" of detroit ideas.

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great ideas Rosedaleken!!

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1542
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

23. Deregulate street vending and performing downtown, new center, and many midtown streets.

24. Plant lots of street trees.

25. Install sound barriers between freeways (probably some rail lines too) and adjacent residential areas.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 68.60.133.115
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TRANSIT! That is all there is too it.....

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

26. Create additional streets and reconnect old ones. Some that come to mind:

Mechanic to Harmonie Park
2nd from Bagley to Lafayette
Park over 75 (already mentioned)
Park north a few more blocks (until you run out of room
Woodward/Cass/Canfield/Forest Superblock
Woodward/John R/Alexandrine/Mack Superblock
Elliot through the Red Cross
Bagley over 75 (pedestrian bridge in the works)
Brooklyn and 8th south of Porter
Columbia around Woodward
2nd and Beech around DTE
St Antoine through BCBS
N/S streets in East Riverfront
Virginia Park and Seward @ Woodward.

almost forgot:

27. Transit

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 148.61.248.170
Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd get rid of the city government and I'd replace it with something like what Jsmyers said (polycentric) complete with competent, reasonably paid employees. I don't know what to do myself, but all of the smart profesionals I'd be hiring would.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1020
Posted From: 66.2.148.21
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 677
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Banish all non-Detroiters from asking or answering this question.

so - how's isolationism working for detroit? i'm still waiting for the city to unveil its business model of self-sufficiency.

Thecarl

Post Number: 678
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Annex some of the suburbs. Seriously, all the ones that could practically be annexed to increase the tax base.

problem: taxation without representation. the city takes in a lot of money, but nobody knows where it goes - except, perhaps, bobby ferguson. people mover funds. cobo funds. school funds. dwsd funds. it all disappears, and the suburbs are not about to join the fray.

321brian

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1,

What did the mayor say about redlining? Who is going after who? I can't remember. I haven't seen anything about it in the news.

Thecarl

Post Number: 679
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

TRANSIT! That is all there is too it.....

is it true? the personmover loop that circles downtown detroit was to be the terminus of a rail line that extended from detroit to pontiac. the money was there. what happened?

coleman's so fine, there's no tellin' where the money went...

and - kwame draws comparisons between himself and the erstwhile politicrat.

brother - can you spare a krugerrand?

Rustic

Post Number: 2312
Posted From: 71.234.183.131
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, I was looking for that photo meeself, couldn't find it ... good one!

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1022
Posted From: 66.2.148.186
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, ain't it the truth.

Rustic

Post Number: 2313
Posted From: 71.234.183.131
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, LOL!

Jsmyers

Post Number: 1550
Posted From: 70.236.175.171
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

is it true? the personmover loop that circles downtown detroit was to be the terminus of a rail line that extended from detroit to pontiac. the money was there. what happened?

The region lost it. It got reappropriated in another state since the region couldn't come up with a political organization to manage it.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1556
Posted From: 69.212.37.62
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The region lost it. It got reappropriated in another state since the region couldn't come up with a political organization to manage it.

Thus earning LB Patterson and a few others the title "Dumbass for Life."

220hendrie1910
Username: 220hendrie1910

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 209.217.83.157
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[outsider alert: no-one in my family has lived in Wayne Co. since the 1920s, so take it easy on me]

I notice that some posters to this board are very pro- or anti- the idea of the State taking over the City. I can't see foreclosure as a solution for any city, if only because it doesn't help the problem of establishing "common cause" between the city and its neighbors.

Forced amalgamation or annexation within the metro area would foist Detroit's debts on wealthier municipalities and surely provoke a revolt.

So, has there been any thought of incorporating a regional municipality as we have had them in Ontario? Something like the Regional Municipality of Wayne?

The implementation would add powers to the county-cum-RM while taking some away from the cities, towns, and townships, but without transferring any of the debt, since the latter would still exist as legal entities.

The advantage in Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, and other RMs, during the time they existed before the government forced them to become megacities, was that there was a planning apparatus that promoted common cause between rural and urban areas, rich and poor, etc. In Wayne's case, that might include better representation in planning the future of the airport, or a built-in-Wayne transit system. One would hope that it might promote the reuse of vacant-but-serviced lands in the City by companies that are already invested elsewhere in the RM, helping to reverse the outflow of employment and capital.

In any case, it would have to look like something better than a zero-sum game, wherein the City gets handouts or favorable treatment at the expense of tax moneys or investment elsewhere in the RM. Done right, it might make the RM more competitive relative to Oakland and Macomb, which would spread any pain around the entire metro area.

Perched in my ivory tower in Ottawa.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.