Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Boy's failed 911 pleas has mother found dead « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2497
Posted From: 199.74.87.98
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just truly pathetic. Folks in Detroit are so negligent these days...

Boy's failed 911 pleas bring calls for change
Detroit cops investigate in mom's death; family upset

April 8, 2006

The Detroit Police Department promised a thorough investigation Friday after coming under intense scrutiny both locally and across the nation for an incident in which a woman died after her 5-year-old son's calls to 911 were dismissed as a prank.

Robert Turner, now 6, called 911 twice after his mother collapsed Feb. 20 in her bedroom on Detroit's west side. A recording of the calls, which family members gave the Free Press on Friday, revealed that the boy's pleas for help weren't taken seriously.

Sherrill Turner, 46, died of complications from an enlarged heart, family members said. Police were investigating whether the same operator handled both calls.

According to the recording, when the boy -- who was alone with his mother -- first called 911 about 6 p.m., an operator asked him to bring an adult to the phone. Robert told the operator he couldn't.

At one point, "she hanged up on me," Robert said Friday. The recording indicates the dispatcher hung up after saying she would send police to the home. They did not arrive.

Robert called back about 9 p.m. An operator told him: "You shouldn't be playing on the phone. ... Now put her on the phone before I send the police out there to knock on the door and you going to be in trouble."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006604080315

Cklwbig8
Username: Cklwbig8

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 67.71.66.112
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

absolute trash

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1226
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the paper online and listened to the calls....they didnt sound like pranks to me. The operator should have erred on the side of caution and sent someone out there. After all, she did have the complete address.

The operator must really be beating herself up right now.

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 355
Posted From: 68.42.181.134
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

someone started a thread about this yesterday if you scroll down a bit. the thread had a transcript of the call that was shocking. it does not sound like she even gave the boy a chance. plus she knew a child was on the phone and did not ask more probing questions that would have made it obvious the call was real; a six-year-old child needs to be told what to do in a panicked situation, and this woman did nothing. i don't care how many years of service that operator put in or how many prank calls she may have had that day. she wasn't serving anyone by being a presumptuous bitch and she should absolutely be fired.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.