Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Fort Wayne « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 259
Posted From: 4.229.57.27
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anybody else go to the flea market at Historic Fort Wayne? The barracks house is undergoing renovations and was open to the public today-- the first time it's been open since I first visited the Fort in 2001. The paint on the walls was so fresh that you could smell it. The floors looked nice too. One room on the first floor looks as if it's going to host a large exhibit, but right now there are just benches and some maps and photos of the Fort. Upstairs, there's one room filled with antique bunk beds. This weekend at least, it's being occupied by historical reenactors. These folks usually come to the Fort during the flea market weekends, but this year there are a whole lot more of them.

The flea market continues tomorrow, in case anyone is interested in checking it out.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1011
Posted From: 4.229.57.196
Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've attended the last couple years, but the offerings weren't that great. I'll probably give it another go tomorrow, anyway, and I'd still recommend it. It's a really unique place to visit, even if you don't end up buying anything.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1266
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We went on Saturday afternoon, perusing the flea market offerings, picking up a couple of 1920s car ads and a 1950s article on Clark Gable. But our primary purpose for attending was to walk the grounds outside the Fort proper and take photos of those buildings. Will likely check out the Fort itself during the summer. And it was a beautiful day for strolling!! I do wish that they would give tours of the streets of Fort Wayne to talk about the function of the buildings at various times through the Fort's history. A great deal for good times at $2 a car!!!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 918
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there running around. Some of the out buildings are in really bad shape and I'm afraid the hospital is done for. Even basic tasks like cutting the scrub trees and brush sprouting next to brickwork isn't being done. That will cause as quick and severe damage as just about anything else. Neither the Indian nor the Tuskeegee museums were open.

There were a fair number of people there, though, and it was great to be out in the sun for a change.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 655
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It used to be a great place - I went to Fort Wayne on class field trips in elemenatry school several times - we always looked forward to it.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 417
Posted From: 68.35.85.184
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having taken my draft physical at Fort Wayne, I have less than good memories of the place.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1886
Posted From: 216.203.223.77
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried to get my dad to go to the flea mkt today, he also went through his military processing there.
"One visit to Fort Wayne was enough for me" he said.
Looks like I will have to visit another time.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1105
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I share your pain, jiminnm. After our physicals were concluded,and every orafice had been thoroughly probed, my buddy, still in an embarrassed trance turned to me and said, "the damn doctor could have at least introduced himself".

Unclefrank
Username: Unclefrank

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 192.85.50.1
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reenactors are just getting started. We have a large drill session planned for the weekend of the 22nd, and we plan to do allot of basic work then. The more people who get interested in the fort the better.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.