Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » VoIP and 911 in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 68.42.175.57
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a question... how many people here have VoIP phone's in their house? I have VoIP, but it's not Vonage, it's a different carrier. Obviously 911 does not work. I had originally programmed my phone to dial my district station (Western) when someone dialed 911 in my house. I was informed by an officer at the Western District that in order to pull a car I would have to dial 911 (the real one that's answered at Central Dispatch). When I called 311 to ask if there was a 7-digit number that would ring to Central Dispatch, I was met with a "One moment, let me get my supervisor" and then was greeted with a "Just call your district station." So obviously no one downtown has a clue about this. Anyone on here have any suggestions?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 71.65.15.68
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not in Detroit, but I also have VOIP (BroadVoice), and as of right now I have no 911 service.

I don't know that there is a good answer at the moment. I rely on the fact that I have my cell phone if I need to make a 911 call. It's not ideal, but I'm afraid it's the best answer at the moment.

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 68.74.30.209
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work in the VoIP/Telco industry and sadly even though the FCC has mandated 911 adoption through the industry, most of the smaller non-vonage carriers have really implemented kind of half-ass solutions. Most of them just have a list of direct dials for the PSAPS (911 centers) and just route the calls that way - which is horribly unreliable and may or may not work depending on the PSAP. These numbers are not E911 compliant (they don't pass your address/location information) and on older switches (such as many of Detroits) they may not work at all.

The FCC has not really cracked down on this yet - but probably within 12 months they're going to move in and shut down the providers that are non-compliant.

I still have a landline installed by SBC/ATT when I moved in because I didn't expect anything from my VoIP carriers. (However I still use VoIP for making long distance calls, which I route through my residential PBX).

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 97
Posted From: 68.42.175.57
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was working for Mt Clemens PD, I know that the VoIP issue was becoming a real problem for PSAP's across the country. Most VoIP providers were just sending out stickers to be stuck to telephones stating that there was no 911 service available from that phone. I was hoping there would be some sort of 7 digit dial number for the Detroit PSAP. I remember back when cell phones would just immediately connect to MSP out in Northville and then you'd have to tell the MSP dispatcher what city you were in and they would connect you via the 7 digit number for that city's PSAP. The problem was there was no ANI/ALI for the cellular caller. Now, most times you dial 911 from your cell phone, the towers have been configured to route your call to the city the tower is located in. Those calls ring into the actual 911 line and display your callback number and the tower you are calling through.

I need to find the number to the PSAP Coordinator for Detroit.

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 68.74.30.209
Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's still the problem and many VoIP carriers are still sending that sticker with the phones (even though the legality is questionable). When the FCC made the order in mid-2005, many small VoIP carriers had no idea what to do and services to solve this problem emerged. Unfortunately, many of these services are nothing more than PSAP redirectors and don't submit ANI/ALI information (even worse, some submit the ANI/ALI of the switch). The FCC hasn't really ruled on whether this is allowed or not, so for now, I guess it's going to continue. Most likely, I figure these companies are either going to 1) grow and adopt a legit E911 service, 2) get sued into oblivion or 3) shut down by the FCC.

Either way, if you want good 911 termination you still have to go analog. OR you can make your own PBX like me. Maybe I should get into the residential PBX market :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.