Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Lay-offs in Metro Detroit schools. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 463
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060410/S CHOOLS/604100373

Sounds like hundreds will be unemployed by the time Fall term 2006 comes around. The effect of such widespread cutbacks in every community is certainly concerning for many.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 399
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long overdue...

Dmb
Username: Dmb

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 69.246.55.57
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, they say Utica is only going to lay off 40 teachers. It's going to be more, trust me. I just hope it's not me.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 444
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any teachers looking for a job just need to move to Las Vegas. The Clark County School District is pleading for them -- as usual, especially math and science teachers.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1031
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder why the fedral government doesn't see this as an important issue especially with the increase in educational standards by the Bush administration

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1137
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why have no one jumped on the bandwagon and highly criticized these suburban school districts for laying off teachers, closing schools, etc? From what I have observed on this forum, every time Detroit announces necessary cuts or layoffs, there is an outcry that Detroit needs to fix its schools, get the crime down to attract families, get effective school leaders, yadda, yadda, yadda. Alas, these suburban school districts are merely a victim of circumstance (i. e. high pension costs, school funding source, etc.) and Detroit School District is just a bastion of ineptness. Talk about a double-standard. LOL

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 7:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To answer your question, it is because most of these suburban school districts have a recent track record of responsible fiscal administration. They have made the tough decisions to close schools and/or lay off staff in advance of a potential deficit so that they only have to dip into their operating reserve balance, not wipe it out or run a budget deficit. They have demonstrated that they can responsibly spend millions of dollars from bond issues approved by their voters to upgrade their buildings. Suburban districts like East Detroit that did have corruption in their building programs prosecuted the administrators involved and voters swept the incompetent school board members out of office.

Don't worry though, by next year there will be plenty of suburban critics jumping up and down about bigger cuts that are coming, since most districts have just about exhausted their "rainy day" operating reserve balances.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.