Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » John Conyers scandal - national exposure on CNN. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 70.226.96.50
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITI CS/04/12/griffin.conyers/

Why does Detroit put itself in a negative light again ?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 626
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is Conyers getting harassed when he's trying to expose the president's douchebaggery?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5793
Posted From: 69.242.213.167
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wake me when Conyers accepts money from Abramoff. Until then, this doesn't raise to the level of "scandal."

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1899
Posted From: 24.98.116.13
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

while it's not a scandal, it is wrong. It's a misuse of taxpayers money. That is illegal. Again, it's not a big deal, but it should be investigated, and if he did wrong, then he needs to accept responsibility and move on. These days, when a politician does wrong, i'd be happy with them accepting responsibility, admitting it was wrong, and apologizing.

Being in the heart of the Cynthia McKinney 'scandal' down here, seeing her blame hitting the security guard on race etc, that's just sick. There is a right and wrong way to handle these things.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 761
Posted From: 65.54.154.115
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Impeach Conyers!

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 222
Posted From: 69.215.76.68
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John or Monica?

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3646
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much ado about nothing.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1123
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nothing" is right. He has always been an ineffectual Congressman, and maybe sometime when he finallly goes off into the sunset, his constitients will finally get some one who will go to Washington and do what he or she is elected to do, i.e. REPRESENT his constituents, not spend most of his time out of DC, , flying around the country, making speeches and going abroad and spending the taxpayer's money. He just doesn't seem to get it. Too long in the public trough..

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2123
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

{Sarcarm mode: ON}

But I want my representative go use his taxpayer paid office staff to work on pet projects like running personal errands...

{Sarcarm mode: OFF}

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2252
Posted From: 68.40.225.75
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My impression is that he is a very well respected congressman in DC. I don't have a thing against him then again my congresswoman is CC Kilpatrick...so I dont know what he does or doesnt do. But like itsjeff says...when he is connected with Bush scandals then I will get involved.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 71.10.61.35
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's new? Yawn!

Livedog2

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny it came out as the same time he's trying to get the pres. impeached. Kinda shady if you ask me that his people would just all come out and diss him. Never trust the mainstream media!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1993
Posted From: 4.229.105.242
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although Conyers has always had his share of critics, his seniority makes him the ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary Committee.

And if the Democrats do possibly take over the House of Representatives in the fall 2006 elections (a big "if"), then (if he's well thought of by his Democratic peers) he will likely be the next Judiciary Committee Chairman.

And where do presidential impeachment hearings on Capitol Hill ALWAYS get started..... in the House Judiciary Committee!

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 443
Posted From: 68.35.85.184
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This story has been kicking around for months, and it's been previously reported. It's nothing new.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 762
Posted From: 65.54.154.113
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Impeach all the Conyers!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3538
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Politics as usual, though, compared to the Republican scandals currently flying around Congress, this is tame in comparison. I have a feeling that this will be nothing more than a bump in the road for him, especially considering Congressmen and women have done far worse and retained their seats. They might as well strike at Conyers while they still can. And, yes, if the Dem do come into power, Conyers will be calling for Bush's head, no doubt. Modern politics is nothing more than a revenge game, and it looks like the Dems are setting up for an end game with Bush.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 468
Posted From: 70.237.10.39
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Conyers is he a crook or just inept?

Story at 11.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

both?

or just a politician.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 68.41.90.66
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have to be kidding me. If anyone really thinks that no other politicians in the federal government use their staffers as "personal assistants" on the taxpayer's dime, then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

When was the last time you kissed your boss's ass? Laughed at his jokes? Stayed late when you didn't want to? Carried his golf bag at the course? It's just like that in this case, except this person apparently didn't get the promotion they were looking for and went public with their grievances.

And don't give me the "it's on the tax payers' dime" line. If you were really that concerned about corruption and waste of your tax dollars, you'd have voted people like Knollenberg or the late McNamara out a long time ago.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3546
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, just because everyone else does it doesn't make it right, and if you're caught, you're caught.

With all of that said, it's obvious, though, that this is a political smear tactic aimed at hitting Conyers before he can get to the president, if he even gets to him. And, again, with more and more serious scandals flying around on the other side of the aisle, this looks like small change, and will be treated as such. We're not talking insider trading (majority leader Bill Frist), bribery (Duke Cunningham), just plain corruption (Tom DeLay)...and so on. This is but a bump in the road, in comparison, which may get a censure, at the very worst.

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 71.126.183.3
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last month we had the same thread on the ineffective lightweight congressman from Detroit. He is simply an annoyance (to both sides of the aisle) inside the beltway with his blather.

To answer Irish mafia, inept, and if the Dems take the House, they will not place him as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee.

If you wonder why Detroit has such a difficult time securing federal funds, think Conyers, Kilpatrick, etc.

the river rat and beltway insiders snicker

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2253
Posted From: 68.40.225.75
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"impeach all the conyers"

I don't know Monica Conyers seems pretty good so far. What does anyone else think?

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3550
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River Rat, it is good the "Beltway Insiders" and yourself underestimate the rising tide, it will be all the more satisfying when the tide takes you, and your out-of-touch "Beltway Insiders" back to the sea, and away where you can cause less damage. It wouldn't be the first time the "Let them eat cake" crowd was judged accordingly, and shown that the jokes on them. Your arrogance is not surprising, but, ironically annoying. It's funny you try to attach some kind of pride to being a Washington insider, a description negatively stigmatized for all of the right reasons.

Souldrummer
Username: Souldrummer

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 67.149.237.90
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where do you guys get all your bad info and dirt on John Conyers? I always thought he was pretty upstanding in the community and in the House. What am I missing?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1067
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 4:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, all of this BS only pops up after these people lose their job, then they start crying foul play. I bet she wasn't saying anything while she was living cushy up in his house doing nothing but getting paid to let a couple of kids run around tearing shit up...for 6 weeks.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2254
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha you are so right Broken.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 586
Posted From: 68.20.140.8
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After 40 years this is what comes out? Wow.
No sex scandal? No bribery or corruption charges? No dishonesty or ethics compromise? No questionable business dealings?

He's obviously unfit for public service.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 12.15.1.161
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While all of this isn't earth shattering news, the thing that I find disturbing is the nonchalant attitude so many people have about things like this.

I'm sick and tired of hearing the argument "Well - Bush sucks, so why should I care if Conyers is using his congressional staff as babysitters and valets?"

We should care about this, because we as taxpayers are footing the bill for it. Whether or not the president is ineffectual or just plain inept does not excuse the rest of our elected officials from their responsibilities, nor does it give them license to use their congressional staff as personal servants.

While we are talking apples and oranges when it comes to comparing Bush's questionable leadership to John Conyers having one of his congressional staff babysit for him for 6 weeks, that doesn't give Conyers a free pass to do whatever he pleases.

While I am no apologist for either party, to a large extent the leadership that the President provides, and the direction they attempt to steer the country in is largely based on political philosophy, of which there will always be a difference of opinions and views. The things Conyers is alleged to have done are based on rules and laws that are pretty clearly defined. Bush might be a bad president, he might be the worst one we ever had, or he may be a great president, or he might just be mediocre, like most of them tend to be. But, regardless of you feel about that, it doesn't mean that we can just overlook everything that everyone else is doing.

(Message edited by Jfre66_77 on April 18, 2006)

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 141.217.173.107
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, there are more serious ethics charges leveled against Conyers, namely that he used Congressional staffers to work on his re-election campaign, his wife's campaigns for state senate and city council, and the political campaigns of other local Democrats. Those are far more serious charges than the babysitting accusations. And more than one former Conyers staffer has come forward to claim that they were doing campaign work for Conyers, his wife, and other politicians on the taxpayer's dime.

http://www.hillnews.com/thehil l/export/TheHill/News/Frontpag e/030106/news2.html

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 401
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elect State Sen. Buzz Thomas as your next U.S. Rep.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, he already admitted in front of a worldwide audience that he and his colleagues don't read what's before them in Congress, so...how can anyone really be "shocked" by this?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 631
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe that in a time when John Conyers is leading the way to impeaching the WORST PRESIDENT EVER, that it's not a plan to derail his plans by making him look bad. I don't believe this is a coincidence and it's the way Karl Rove operates.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 141.217.173.107
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^^^^

Allegations of ethical misconduct by Conyers dates back to 1998 and concerns staffers activities from 1997-2002. I can't really see how you can blame Bush for this one, unless Bush is some sort of psychic who realized that he must lay the groundwork for discrediting Conyers 2 years before he even became President.

River_rat

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 71.126.183.10
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, far from being an "beltway insider", I think we should toss the whole lot of them out. Conyers, and almost everyone currently in office for the messes we are in. Federal, state and local. I am simply pointing out the fact that the real insiders treat our local area badly because of who we send to represent us (and I certainly don't mean by party affiliation). Very respected by everyone is our US Senator Levin. (See Time magazine today). He is a rare politician, good to the core.

the river rat, a real beltway outsider

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3554
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is spoken of so non-chalantly because we've come to accept the fact that politicians (since human history began) are allowed some level of corruption. Conyers, by comparions to many other of his colleagues looks almost squeeky clean. He'd have to be in much deeper than this for me to call for something as serious as a resignation or impeachment (if that's even possible to a member of Congress). If you find the nonchalant talk so disturbing, I find it just as absurd that people are calling for something as foolish as a resignation. Get real. You can take Bush out of this entire picture, and it still doesn't change the fact that Conyer's problems pale in comparison to the other scandals flying around Congress, and deservedly so.

River_rat

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 207.67.146.85
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, so we should tolerate minor scandals? Sort of like how we tolerate minor criminals in Detroit. The more you tolerate, the more you get. Haven't we learned that yet?

the river rat

Drdetroit
Username: Drdetroit

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 69.219.20.60
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

river is comparing John Conyer's staff watching his kids to minor criminals in Detroit. A mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3556
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether we should tolerate minor examples of unethical business is another post for another thread, I just find it that the current crop of Republicans have supported their own serious ethical offenders (DeLay, Cunningham, Abramoff...) with an ironic fervency.

Calling for the resignation and impeachment of Conyers is both ridiculous and ironic. The Congress has its own modes of reprimandation for these relatively minor ethical offenses (censure, for one). What I see, here, is a lot of petty politics being played. If Conyers is found to be deeply involved in some major crime, than I hope that he is prosecuted like any other, but, at the moment, his ethics issues pale in comparison to anything other scandal that's made news.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 68.60.148.230
Posted on Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Accepting the fact that corruption does happen and condoning it are two different things. Murder happens, we all accept that fact. Does that make it ok?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.