Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Chase to unveil in Detroit next Monday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 938
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chase Says Hello to Detroit April 24, Pledges $2.5 Million in Grants

Will celebrate with free music, activities at Campus Martius Park

DETROIT--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 18, 2006--Chase will say hello to Detroit April 24 by pledging to grant more than $2.5 million to city-based nonprofit groups and programs for city residents and sponsoring Chase Day in the Park with fun, free activities planned in Campus Martius Park.

"While our name will change from Bank One to Chase, we haven't changed our commitment to Detroit and Michigan," said Dick Wade, president of Chase in Michigan. "We're proud of our history in this community and look forward to a terrific future helping our customers grow and prosper. As Chase, we will continue to support the citizens, businesses, government entities and nonprofit groups in the communities we serve."

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and leaders from many nonprofit groups are expected to join Wade, head of retail banking Anthony Glover and hundreds of bank employees in the bank's lobby, 611 Woodward Ave., for a 9 a.m. unveiling of a sign bearing the bank's new name and logo.

At 9:15 a.m., City Year Detroit will perform its morning warm up -- a stomping routine -- to lead the group to Campus Martius Park. In the park, Chase will pledge to make more than $2.5 million in grants to be paid during 2006 to Detroit-based nonprofit groups and programs that support city residents. (Both presentations will take place in the lobby if the weather is inclement.)

In addition, Wade and Graham Beale, director of the Detroit Institute of Arts, will announce a significant gift from the JPMorgan Chase art collection to the institute's collection. Other nonprofit groups expected to attend include: the Detroit 300 Conservancy, Detroit International Jazz Festival, Detroit Riverfront Conservancy, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, Focus: Hope, LISC, Michigan Opera Theatre, New Detroit and United Way.

Chase will celebrate the new brand in Michigan by giving consumers the chance to win one of three six-day, five-night Walt Disney World vacations or one of 50 $100 Disney Gift Cards by visiting any branch. Additionally, Chase has asked promotional partner The Walt Disney Company to bring some of its magic to Campus Martius Park April 24 for Chase Day in the Park. Park visitors will see backdrops of familiar Disney theme parks scenes and a car from the famous Tomorrowland exhibit. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Chase employees will distribute free Mickey Mouse ice cream bars at the park and sketch artists will draw free portraits.

Chase uses the Beatles' hit, "Hello Goodbye," as the theme of a commercial introducing the brand and invited a Beatles tribute band, "The Beat Club," to perform free in the park from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.

Children and the young at heart can enjoy many free activities in the park between 11:30 and 5 p.m.:

Face painting and balloon animals, noon to 2 p.m.
Arts and crafts projects from Arts & Scraps, 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
A puppet-making workshop presented by PuppetArt Theater, 1 to 3 p.m.
Cranbrook Science on the Go, 3 to 5 p.m.
Chase Day in the Park will conclude with a free performance by The Project, a jazz band, from 4 to 6 p.m.

On April 24, Chase will demonstrate its commitment to youth education by sponsoring Detroit Science Center visits for 1,400 Detroit Public Schools' students. At 10:30 a.m., Chase's Detroit leadership team will meet with the students at the Science Center where they will see its popular "Space" exhibit courtesy of a Chase grant.

In cooperation with the nonprofit group The Greening of Detroit, Chase will plant a tree to start a beautification project at Burton International School, 1333 Pine Street (near the Lodge Freeway), Detroit, at 1:30 p.m. April 24. Chase provided a grant to The Greening of Detroit to fund planting trees and flowers at ground level and a rooftop garden to form an outdoor classroom at the public elementary school.

Chase operates a network of nearly 260 branches and more than 380 ATMs in Michigan. JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE:JPM - News) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $1.2 trillion and operations in more than 50 countries. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers, small business and commercial banking, financial transaction processing, asset and wealth management, and private equity. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world's most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its JPMorgan and Chase brands. Information about the firm is available at www.jpmorganchase.com.

Chase
Mary Kay Bean, 313-225-2831
mary.kay.bean@chase.com

Source: Chase

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a bank on 7 Mile/Greenfield that already made the change. It's good that they're showing a commitment to the city. Let's just hope that's still there when the city needs more cash/investments.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3983
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!! CHASE BANK!

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"At 9:15 a.m., City Year Detroit will perform its morning warm up -- a stomping routine -- to lead the group to Campus Martius Park."

Is there a new Detroit dance that i'm unaware about???

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 356
Posted From: 68.42.176.190
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ Hagglerock.. I was thinking the same thing.

Man I feel old. Being 27.. I remember my dad working for NBD... and I started working for the NBD when they chaged to First Chicago while I had just graduated from high school and also when they became Bank One.

My dad used to work @ the old NBD building downtown and it was a treat to go downtown and pick him up from work when he refused to drive his car.

I hope they maintain a level of involvement in Detroit. Comerica already has Detroit on lock, but I hope the Chase people don't forget the roots they have via NBD.

Bostedguy
Username: Bostedguy

Post Number: 347
Posted From: 69.246.19.150
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was with Bank One and now Chase. I have been very, very impressed with the transition. Very customer-friendly.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5804
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've already renamed the Woodward Avenue building, "Chase Tower." Sign went up a few days ago.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2493
Posted From: 66.167.210.27
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear you VizionDetroit. My NBC, First Chicago, Bank One, Chase Bank has resorted to a fabric sign -- like those beer signs on party stores -- almost as if this is just a temporary situation until the next buyout. I'm getting carpal tunnel syndrome from cutting up replaced credit cards. How long will Chase last? Join my office pool.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 901
Posted From: 69.220.232.15
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lowell...lol

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 573
Posted From: 198.109.32.15
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't find this release on their site. Do you have a link?
We are having an event downtown on Monday that this might interfere with and I would like to pass the link on to others in my organization. Thanks!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 940
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/060418 /20060418005808.html?.v=1

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 692
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 signs are already up on Chase Tower...with color and a nicer logo, it does look much nicer than the bland bank1 sign...Also, at the entrances, 2 metal signs have gone up above the door that say in black letter CHASE TOWER..... I guess these are the signs the mayor and bank will unveil, unless they are adding more...

unrelated, but anyone know why there was a crane on top of Comerica Tower yesterday?? I thought maybe they were installing one of their own signs, but nothing appeared

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7207
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

unrelated, but anyone know why there was a crane on top of Comerica Tower yesterday?? I thought maybe they were installing one of their own signs, but nothing appeared

Probably the window washers. There is a crane like device for the window washers that is mounted on the roof.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 439
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm always leery of banks that have wheels under them...

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1075
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dick

damm revisionists

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1137
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I remember him--Dick Westercamp, Channel 4 news, in those days of living black and white. Maybe I should have him interview me as I opened my first account with NBD in 1960 ( Hamilton and Puritan),then 40 years downtown on Woodward and also in the Buhl Building. Now at Mack and Moross. My dad was Clifford and Bagley,(UAB) about 1930.
Can't say I know a lot about Chase, but I will give them a try."Don't change horses in mid-stream".

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 531
Posted From: 67.114.23.202
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn, I thought this was about some guy named Chase.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 937
Posted From: 146.9.52.32
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Chase Secretary of the Treasury under Lincoln during the civil war? Or was that Chase's son? hmmm, Rock? you must remember?

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2316
Posted From: 12.75.18.2
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

chase

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 291
Posted From: 65.215.68.210
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do I have to get Buzzed in AND out of the bank on Trumbull in Corktown now? One has to enter and exit through 2 bullet proof looking glass corridors, with cameras and probably other detection type devices, just to deposit a check. There is a worker, on the other side of the bank, who has to look at you, and deem you "okay" to enter, and then they buzz you in. This happened about the time Bank One was bought by Chase.

I asked the teller's if there had been any problems at that branch, and they said no.

Yay Chase! Don't be Skee-erred of Detroit!

Why not just have a guy with a machine gun stand guard instead?

I'm about to close my NBD account of 17 years and go entirely with my credit union. I'll miss all of those blue signs though.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 63.65.97.67
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just left comerica to Chase, very impressed so far, and much lower fees and more options for decent rate savings. harbortown has the human locks too, wish they'd put a drive up ATM there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2003
Posted From: 4.229.105.66
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, National Bank Of Detroit, aka NBD, aka First Chicago-NBD, aka BancOne, aka J.P. Morgan/Chase will probably get gobbled up by the largest bank in the world... and we will have "Deutsche Bank-Chase-Michigan".

And instead of cutting up old credit cards, they should take a page from Michigan Secretary of State with the license plates.... just slap another sticker over the corporate name! :-)

The_rock

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

crew---Can't say I know who "the" Mr.Chase was. The notable Chase back then was Samuel Chase who signed the Declaration of Independence, went on to become a Supreme Court Justice and I think he might have even withstood an impeachment proceeding! Can't believe that is the same one!!
Let me check with my "bank source" and I will see what I can come up with.

Akoper
Username: Akoper

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 4.229.99.159
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When BankOne bought First Chicago/NBD 5 - 8 years ago, they moved most of the good paying jobs out of 611 Woodward and to BankOne's headquarters in Columbus, Ohio. That building is a shell of itself looking for tenents.

The_rock

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crew- Now I remember! Salmon P Chase was Lincoln's Sec of Treasury during the Civil War and then went on to be appointed to the Supreme Court just like the "other" Samuel Chase. I assume its this guy who is on the $10,000 bill and the original Chase Bank founder. My wallet's upstairs on the dresser, but I will check it out furthur.
I seem to remember now that this Chase handed out our pay checks during the Civil War when I was with the Grand Rapids 102 Cavalary.
Still waiting to confirm same with my "Chase contact", but I think you got it right!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3683
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, you Grosse Pointers make jjaba laugh.
I hope you've got "a Chase" for jjaba.

Rock is it time yet to take off our socks? My Docksiders are dusty as hell but I can get 'em ready. I've got the Izod shirts in the washer right now. Is pink still "in"?

Thanks J_stone. nobody outside of Detroit would believe the door bells and security systems unless they are visitng from South Africa. jjaba tried to be a customer there. Wow!

jjaba.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 134
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cavalry!

Livedog2

The_rock

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good point, dog. cavalray, cavalry...war is hell.

jjaba---It's 72 in The Pointe today. Going to bike down on my trusty Panasonic 6 speed, circa 1989,, (sans socks,) to Mack /Moross and supervise the placement of the new Chase sign on the building. We call it "placement", but you westsiders would use the venacular and say "erection". We are not a double-meaning community over here.
Yesterday was actually my first sockless day. And I about jumped out of my shoes when I heard about the price of gas at the marina. I might buy a trailer for the WINSOME and fill up at the local BP rather than at Miller's Marina.
Both take the new Chase credit card.
And speaking of the illusive Mr. Chase, are you going to jump all over me if I say that guy on the $10,000 bill looks Jewish?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3686
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock that was lower than a newbie at the Grosse Pointe AA meeting.

Rock, why the hell can't we trust Father Clement Kern looking right at that bank? That's jjaba's religous question for the Rock. He always protected jjaba's car through thick and thin.
The ghettoization of Detroit commerce has disturbed jjaba for a long time.

jabba, shedding socks for a trip on the Winsome.
And jjaba just bought a new pair of Tommy Bahama shorts and new alligator belt. He really wants to pass for.............

The_rock

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whadda mean "low"? Chase looked distinguished and financially able since his face is on a 10G note.Add a beard, and he would pass for a rabbi.My kind of guy.
Fr. Kern? You mean Msgr.Kern!! He did wonders for the Corktown area, and GPers supported him Big Time on St. Paddy's Day at Most Holy Trinity Church. I was there. Lots of paper in the collection basket, no coins, just paper and checks were both welcomed and encouraged.
I think the Msgr. would have approved of Mr. Chase.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2005
Posted From: 4.229.81.213
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Salmon P. Chase on the $10,000 bill is the Secretary of the Treasury under President Lincoln. He produced the first US government paper money.

Prior to Lincoln, all paper money were produced by banks, (with their own designs) known as bank notes.... well we all know what happened to many banks before and during the Civil War, they went belly up. Plus quite a few unscrupulous bankers cranked out lots of otherwise worthless bank notes.

The US government needed to have the public feel secure about their paper money, which is why Chase started US currency. It is ironic that coinage had been a US government function since the first coins were produced in 1792, but paper money was not under US control until 1863.

Note: There were still bank notes (with the local banks name on it) produced until 1928, but they were controlled by the US government, and had common currency designs.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2510
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is Salmon Chase indeed, an interesting character. "In 1877 the New York banker John Thompson [BTW same name as Honest? John] named the "Chase Manhattan Bank" after Chase, because of his efforts in passing the National Bank Acts of 1863."
The father of paper money, in many ways, and a supreme court justice.

The_rock

Post Number: 1144
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gistok/Lowell. The answer is solved. I just knew it was the RIGHT combination--fathering paper money and being a lawyer. Let's hear it for Salmon.
I still have not heard from my Chase "bank source" in NY. Maybe he is on (another ) vacation. If and when he calls, I will tell him a thing or two about his founder. You learn a lot on the Forum.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3697
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what Mr. Chase didn't know about coffee, Mr. Sanborn did.
That's the rest of the story.

jjaba.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More interesting stuff on Mr. Chase. It seems Mr. Chase was not all that in favor of paper money after all...

quote:

In 1868, the House of Representatives impeached President Andrew Johnson... As Chief Justice, Chase presided over the trial in the Senate, and his perceived conservatism by Radical Republicans on Johnson's impeachment made his efforts to make the trial nonpartisan largely unsuccessful. His apparent "defense" of Johnson made him a candidate for the Democratic nomination for President in 1868, which he did not obtain, in part because of his steadfast belief in racial equality.

Chase's most important opinions were in the Legal Tender Cases.... In the [Legal Tender] case, Chase wrote that the Legal Tender Act, which made greenbacks (those bills that we are now so familiar with) legal tender for the payment of debts and taxes, was unconstitutional because it violated the due process clause of the 5th Amendment and was contrary to the spirit of the Constitution. Chase's opinion, by a 4-3 Court, was reversed a year later, after President Ulysses S. Grant appointed William Strong and Joseph Bradley to the Court.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 723
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

legal tender for the payment of debts and taxes, was unconstitutional because it violated the due process clause of the 5th Amendment

interesting...that's always been a philosophy of mine...currency is just as much a representation of wealth as it is a demand for servitude or forteiture. when someone flashes a fin in front of me, it represents what they are OWED - and what they expect to be surrendered. it is a DEMAND note.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.