Discuss Detroit ŧ Archives - Beginning January 2006 ŧ Tell your salary! (and life) Ŧ Previous Next ŧ
Top of pageBottom of page

Zjuko
Username: Zjuko

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 83.248.107.155
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since many threads deals with issues of renewal and development, itīs time to reveal the myth of pay.
Can a professional man or woman make a deasant living in the D area?
As a respectful voyeur from abroad iīm thinking of moving in but still donīt know what you all do and whatīs your income.
Can be a good marker for me to follow.

Iīll start. Donīt brag, just tell me how it is.

1. Profession:
Senior manager, small business (15-30 employed)

2. Income in US$/ yr.:

3. Tax and other:
35% (Yes Iīm from Scandinavia)

4. How does it work?
Yepp, i can run a family, live where I want (almost) and have a good life.

Come On ya all, give me some response.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 293
Posted From: 65.215.68.210
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think calling yourself "Senior" anything, is lame and is the text equivalence of beating on your chest and howling in the air, let alone posting your salary. I was taught it's rude to talk about your salary with others, and certainly not something you ask others about. That's my response.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1743
Posted From: 129.9.163.233
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're a senior manager and only earn 70K a year you're way underpaid. Unless you work for the government or McDonalds.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2264
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zjuko - You can live very well and in a beautiful house if you live in the city on a modest income (50k)...you can live very well on over 100k. Of course how many dependents do you have? If you are in the burbs your housing quality is cut and more expensive.

Zjuko

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point taken.
As I said, this is not meant to be either braging or putting my self or the way or where i live in any position whatever. Senior is just a so called title, just wanted to compare and ask.

And yes, I have had many other jobs without titles.

Itīs just a try in a humble way asking you all how you manage doing your living.
Hope this make my position at least a little bit clear.

For you that think itīs rude to ask; donīt answer.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey J_stone did you forget your manners along with your medicine today? The person had a legitimate question posed in a respectful manner. Secrets are horseshit that keeps people separated from each other.

If you don't have anything to offer in a positive sense keep it to yourself instead of showing your boorishness and the typical symptom of the times “mean spiritedness”. Consider yourself taken to the shed and your mouth washed out with soap.

Furthermore, don’t embarrass your mother and father for acting like such an ill-mannered immature child. Shame on you!

Livedog2

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 911
Posted From: 69.220.232.15
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

self employed
100K-200K
30%
Great

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3023
Posted From: 129.137.189.14
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

Northend

Post Number: 913
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Czar, pleasure to have you around

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Czar for making my day.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3669
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Czar, you are a mess. But nice to know you.
You should fit right in here.

jjaba, retired University Professor on a meager govt. pension + Social Security and Medicare.

Wsukid
Username: Wsukid

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 141.217.41.223
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Czar

I love that line from austin powers that is truly my favorite line in the first movie.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1389
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Can a professional man or woman make a deasant [sic] living in the D area?"

I understand that you're not from here and are just interested in knowing, but that question is either condescending, or heavily shaped by misconceptions and misrepresentations of Detroit you've probably gotten through the media. I'll assume it is the latter of those two.

Yes of course you can make good money here. This IS still America. Generally you are rewarded for having a college education or other special talents or being a hard worker, quite well in fact, in the Detroit/metro Detroit economy, despite our relatively poor economy. The Detroit economy may lag far behind the rest of America's right now, but from the numbers I saw the last time I checked up on EUROPE, even Detroit does better comparatively.

Metro Detroit, for all of its ills and divisions that we could go in to, still contains plenty of wealth and job opportunities. A skilled person would not have much trouble finding a job and having a decent life here.

J_stone

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stand by my words - Posting your salary on an internet message board is LAME.

But that's just me - I sell elephant ears at the Gibraltar Trade Center.

Oh and 2LiveCrew - If I wasn't at work (posting between frier drops and customer's orders of course), I'd tell you to @!%&! me, but I am so you can just !$@%! me, k?

Livedog2

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zjuko my profession is/was:

• SENIOR Programmer/Analyst (Oil & Gas Industry)
• $150,000 Salary/Bonus
• 28% tax bracket

I hope this is helpful to you.

Livedog2

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3672
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well put, Mackinaw.

jjaba.

J_stone

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2LiveCrew - Don't you think your last post is more appropriate for match.com or maybe eharmony.com?

It's threads like this that get Rasputin all pissed off!

Northend

Post Number: 915
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zjuko tells us he is from Scandinavia and the response that receives accolades so far is the one that states that "This IS still America" and "Last time I checked EUROPE, even Detroit does better comparatively"

Nice. Really Nice.
Maybe Detroit deserves to be where it's at now (and I'm not talking about comparing Detroit to these fucking medieval Europeans, but rather to to the rest of our uber-developped country)

Northend

Post Number: 916
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take that back b/c I refuse to assume that Mackinaw spoke on behalf of Detroit.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 2015
Posted From: 72.25.177.194
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zjuko, as you must know, we are a country of choices. You have several to make and they will affect your lifestyle. You should choose a political party, and that will drive other things in your life. For instance:

If you choose to be Republican, you will automatically be rich and pay no taxes. Your children will be privileged. Gradually your arms will lengthen until your knuckles drag on the ground. One hand will generally hold a Bible, used to "thump" on any hard surface nearby. If you are not already overweight, you must bulk up immmediately to fill your role as "fat cat" and you will use this extra weight to step on others, particularly their rights. It is also helpful when you throw Grandma out of her house, a rich Republican tradition here in the USA. You will want to have a very large family as you will be pro-life, but will be unable to conceive because your political party is perceived to be sexually repressed so surely you will be. Guns? Bring 'em, and feel free to shoot anything that moves. Hunting season here includes illegals crossing our borders, so make sure when you come that your papers are in order, then lock & load once you're here, and fire at will. Generally you are allowed to smoke in this party, especially large cigars.

If you choose to be Democrat, thats a good thing too cause there are fewer and fewer of 'em here, I'll fill you in on why later. From Scandanavia, eh? Well, that Volvo is welcome here, it establishes that you are not a fat cat and are trying to save the environment (even if you get one of the gas hog models!) If you are young and beautiful, that helps, there's alot of Hollywood types that are Dems. If your wife is pretty ugly, that's OK too because that is how most Dem women get when they're old over here. OK, you're pro-choice so if you have more than 2 kids, think about leaving a couple behind, OK? Don't worry, everyone will agree that you made the right "choice" and won't condemn you for it, since the Dems are the party of "acceptance" unless of course you're straight, pro-life, or pro-war but I digress. This is the party to be in if you don't mind a member of the same sex making a pass at you, remember, it's all about acceptance. However, if they're really ugly, you can file a sexual harrassment lawsuit. Lawsuits are an OK way to get rich if you're a Democrat, or you can marry money - but only those 2 ways can it be excused, otherwise you'll probably have to switch parties if you get too rich, unless you give it to something like saving the spotted owl or to save people on death row. This group tends to stay away from churches & temples, choosing instead to worship at rallies that oppose the war, president, enforcing laws for immigration and life. You are not allowed to smoke in this party except under one circumstance, but it isn't legal (yet) so we won't discuss it until you're safely here.

It is all very confusing but it will become clear when you see all of it in action. All in all it is a wonderful place, that's why millions like you come here, many with nothing, to enjoy the opportunity and people that are here. Like those on these threads, most are great people who are free to think as they wish and do nearly anything they want as long as they stay within the realm of the laws of the land.

Welcome to the USA - I wish you the very best.

Zjuko

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>> Mackinaw,
Niether condescending (I had to look up, copy and paste that word) or, i hope, the media thing.
Iīve visited your city three times. First time on vacation knowing nobody. Second and third because i thought the city and itīs people are nice and i choosed to come back, now with new won friends.

I suppose Itīs more the less of language (sic!) Maybe cultural.
If I in advance could realize what worries my type of questions would cause, i probably never would have asked. Or maybe tried to look in the foreign chrystal ball and made up with a better one.

>> Karl,
Thanks for filling me in. Iīve always been wondering.
What about us that donīt fit in none of the descriptions?
Whatever, Iīll take your welcome serious, thanks.

Still.
Thinking of moving in.
Thats why I asked about life too.
All you others who have answered, thanks to you.

Time to quit in GMT+1

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 465
Posted From: 71.213.228.212
Posted on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zjuko-
Don't take some of the responses in here personally, there are many sour and crabby people that troll these pages. Welcome to the DY forum!

That said, despite Detroit's current economic situation, there is always room for intellegent and decicated people, and a good income and lifestyle to go along with it. Would you have more opportunity for greater income in other cities, Chicago, Boston, etc? Yes probably, but the cost of living is tremendously higher in those places as well. It's a trade off.

You likely would have received a more gracious welcome had you stated in your post that you are an upper level manager for a small business that currently earns $XXK, and are thinking of relocating to Motown; and does anyone believe that you could pick up, move here, find comparable income and live comfortably off that amount. It's a subtle difference, I realize, but sometimes it's all how you phrase things.

If you're responsible, punctual, intellegent, pleasant, personable and a hard-worker you'll do just fine here or anywhere. Finding a job earning $70K/year here is easily feasable (especially if you have a college degree or are skilled in a trade), on which you can live quite comfortably, depending on your lifestyle and family requirements.

Cheers.

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 535
Posted From: 64.139.1.36
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There can never be too many Scandinavians! Americans should be so civilized.

Oops, does my name betray my bias?

Nickstone
Username: Nickstone

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.41.94.42
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"and now for something completely different..."

Freelance musician
Taxed to the beejesus...
Living well and you can't support yourself as a musician just anywhere so... living pretty well!

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 80.136.100.68
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I donīt think an American or European can really compare each others wages without looking at other factors. Health Care being a major one- most European countries (Scandinavians included) have national health care, so perhaps they (we -those in Europe) earn less but we also have lower medical/Insurance costs. Transportation- as it is possible to travel and commute in many cities/areas without relying upon a car, the costs are generally less than owning a car(insurance,maintenance,gas, buying a car). I have also noted in the 12 years over here, that food prices have dropped in the Europeans favor. Going to the grocery store and buying comparable quality produce and products is now much more expensive for Americans than most European countries (only can compare to Germany,Holland, Belgium,France, Italy)

So just looking at salary is not a relavant comparison- many other factors to include. All said, glad to hear more Europeans are still interested in Detroit/Michigan. I know two germans who are in process of moving to Michigan.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 587
Posted From: 194.138.39.55
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 6:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, Michikraut. How can Cafe and I get in touch with you?

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1235
Posted From: 84.162.54.254
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops. My Fault! I will send him your e-mail address michikraut. Do you run? We are looking to do a 10k at the end of may...but, I will keep that to the e-mail.

Michi is right. The cost of living is very different from Detroit. But the living in Detroit is so different from anywhere else. I miss it in the middle of the day. I miss picking up Itsjeff from work to go to lunch, or riding white knuckled with Toolbox to Mexican town. Or Going to a Detroit Art opening. I recognise the opportunity in Detroit as well. Some young business people could really create something wonderful there.
Zjuko: You are looking at a great city. Do you want to start your own business, or can you work for your current employer in the states?

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 144
Posted From: 80.136.100.68
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 8:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(subject hijack) RUN! EGADS! I preamble and daydream as I move forward. When out for exercise- much prefer biking (great paved trail alongside Rhein. All the way to Koblenz if one really wanted to take the time (and had buns of steel) or rowing (though on the Rhein can cause a few gray hairs). Cafe, hope you will pass on address.

Back to subject. I too think there is lots of possibilities in Detroit and when(only question is when) I come back will definitely be Detroit.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1025
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Facilities Manager

No Kids, No wife, and I'm straight. The way I've got it figured, that's equal to about 130k with a lazy wife and two brats. I'm living "high".

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 298
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amid all these transatlantic pleasantries, unpleasantries and recreation riffs, let's not overlook yesterday's entry for Mantra o' the Month:

quote:

Secrets are horseshit that keeps people separated from each other.

Thanks for your memorable bit of Wednesday afternoon philosophy, LiveDog2!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Secrets are horseshit

I disagree. I don't want to know everything about everybody. Ever heard the phrase "TMI"? :-)

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 412
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think calling yourself "Senior" anything, is lame and is the text equivalence of beating on your chest

It's called a job title.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1015
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. Profession:
bikini inspector

2. Income in US$/ yr.:

3. Tax and other:
its all under the table

4. How does it work?
work? whats that!

Livedog2

Post Number: 133
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Realitycheck! You are Realitycheck but I am Mr. Reality.

And, yes Pam, I want to know everything about everybody because that is the only way I can make good decisions for myself. I’m not interested in living in “Alice in Wonderland”.

Human life is a journey whose end is not in sight. Searching, longing and questioning is in our DNA. Who we are and what we will become is determined by the questions that animate us, and by those we refuse to ask. Your questions are your quest. As you ask, so shall you be.

Livedog2

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 63.102.87.27
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is a good thread. Interesting topic.

Senior Copywriter
Metro Detroit area ad agency
$80,000/yr.

Wife who works part time as a programmer, son, struggling to make the mortgage on our suburban home with car payments and all that.

El_rey_de_la_ciudad
Username: El_rey_de_la_ciudad

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the heck are these people with 70k + salaries still in Detroit. If i made that much money....and when I make that much money......U guys know the rest. lol

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 481
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Comfortably retired here. Income about 55k a year, but home is free and clear. No bills except for utility bills and property taxes. Nice little slush fund in IRAs for emergencies.

I hope all of you are planning ahead for retirement some day. It's gonna happen sooner than you think. And if you've done your homework, it's a GREAT life.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 413
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well done Ray1936. :-)

Cafe

Post Number: 1237
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El-rey...log in must be a bitch.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 640
Posted From: 68.73.3.111
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Slitter Operator(machine operator)
42,000/yr
(not sure tax bracket with 401k and other taken pre-tax)

I feel the crunch but I have tons of bills and college.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3358
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey, which agency are at?

Stipes
Username: Stipes

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mech. Craftsman
35%

That is with workin 2 months straight at a time and get a weekend off once in awhile....

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cafe that is why he has only 8 posts ;p

Username: 1953

Post Number: 764
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nonprofit Program Associate...35k...no bills.

El_rey_de_la_ciudad
Username: El_rey_de_la_ciudad

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No....I'm not a b#$%...I'm a guy....otherwise I would be la reina lol

Cafe

Post Number: 1238
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um...not you are a bitch, log in must be a bitch...in other words, that is a lot to type.

Zjuko

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi again,

Thanks for all response. Your knowledge and advises are helpful.
Didnīt count on that much response but it is great to learn a little bit more about you and your city life.
As Michikraut said itīs probably hard to compare the economics straigt if you weigh in such factors as health care, no college fees etc.

>>Cafe,
The business I work for is local. That leaves just the start from nothing thing left. Suppose thats good if your in a new city in a new country. I guess a fine start is to get a job and then decide what to do.
Kind of thrilling.

I will do some resarch with friends overseas (Detroit) and then decide what to do. Itīs very tricky these days to get work permit but i guess if youīre dedicated things will work out. My family just consist of two persons at this time (kids are coming) so it still feels kind of easy to break up.

If I have any news, Iīll keep you posted.

Untill then I will follow the topics on DY with big interest.
And with or without the green card Iīll be back.

/ Zjuko

Skamour14
Username: Skamour14

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 35.8.131.140
Posted on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zjuko, you should do what every (pretty much) white upper middle class person has been doing...... come to detroit, buy up a ton of either hud homes, property, rent them out, get more investments in other land surrounding the city if its gonna give you a nice tax write off, wait until potential buyers come and then sell off everything for one large profit.... trust me I have seen the trend, and you wouldnt be the exception!

Steelworker

Post Number: 641
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stipes i know all about the never getting a weekend off thing.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3719
Posted From: 141.217.119.145
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know Zjuko so I won't pretend to divine his motives. Please don't take what I am about to write as an attack on this person or their intent with this thread. Consider just a blanket warning at, what I consider, an opportune time to make.

Back a few years ago I worked at a market research firm. I was paid to bug tradesmen and ask questions about their equiptment. Anyway one of my managers (think the Marketing Guys in Dilbert) accidently left a memo in a stack of papers he gave me outlining a plan to troll for demographic information such as annual salary on websites similiar to this one to identify potential customer for potential clients. It wasn't the most well thought out plan and that probably means it was implamented and the memo writer got a raise.

Anyway just be careful with offering up personal data.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2363
Posted From: 69.212.30.207
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 2005 my wife and I (filing jointly) reported adjusted gross income of nearly $8.82 million, which was largely the result of exercising stock options that had been set aside in 2001 for charity.

We donated just under $6.87 million to charity from the stock options and royalties. That left about $1.9 million in income on which we owed $529,636 in taxes.

Over the year, we paid $2,468,566 in taxes through withholding and estimated tax payments. As a result, we are entitled to a refund of $1,938,930.

I am setting this money aside to settle a probable lawsuit based on an unfortunate hunting accident I was recently involed in ...

Steelworker

Post Number: 642
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

big money rustic. Id quit my job if only i could find one paying 15 dollars an hour.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 2036
Posted From: 72.25.177.194
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only those with (R) after their names are subjected to ridicule when they give 78% of their income to charity.

Wonder what Ted Kennedy, John Kerry & John Edwards gave to charity last year? Actual amounts? As a % of their vast incomes? I won't bother to look them up, knowing that they are predictably anemic and immune to criticism simply because they are leftie Dems.

Rustic

Post Number: 2364
Posted on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

steelworker, 20 years in politics then 8 years in the private sector and then back into politics for the last 6 years ... will likely be lookin fer work in a couple of years tho ... probably semi-retire and just do the speaker circuit, sit on a few corporate boards that sorta thing ... worked for me ...

(Message edited by rustic on April 21, 2006)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2515
Posted From: 66.167.210.27
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Zjuko from the grandson of an immigrant from Skåne in Sweden. Sorry you have been subjected to such rudeness from a few on this forum; their inability to take into account cross-cultural sensitivities is glaring.

They should start with the considertion that you are writing and expressing yourself, in English, better than many who participate here, an obvious testament to your educational system and to you, and understand that your intentions are good.

One of the cross cultural cues you may not be aware of, but probably are now LOL, is that talking about one's salary and position are considered by many as something one does not do openly. It somewhat falls in the category of pulling up one's shirt to show stitches from an operation. You might do so for a close friend, but not out in public.

Others have pointed out factors that make wage comparison difficult. No doubt your tax rate and cost of living is higher, but then you do not have to pay your own health insurance, as I do, a de facto tax of $15K a year, which you pay whether or not you have income. Imagine playing out $15K, and then doing your taxes.

Scandinavian society, at least from my experience, was bereft of the legions homeless and mentally ill that wander our streets and the widespread visible poverty that greets the eye in every major American city. So while you may pay more in taxes, your quality of life is better in many ways, especially if you fall on hard times.

IMO, a better measure is net worth and control over one’s time. A person with a $200K salary but with $600K of debt, credit cards maxed out, and working overtime for a miserable boss is a very poor person.

For myself, I will only say that I am in the middle of the middle, own my own information age cottage industry of which DetroitYes is but one enterprise, a losing one but one that brings rich intangible rewards. [Although it now appears Rustic could change that in a heart beat with one click of the Support this Site link. :-)]

However, since I live modestly, have no debt nor ever assume any, work yes, but work whenever I feel like it, do work I love, do not commute except to play handball on Belle Isle in the middle of the day and have good health, I consider myself one of the richest people I know.

IMO, when calculating wealth, income is about number 5 or 6 in order of importance. I live by an old Chinese axiom, “To be rich is to have enough; to strive for more could be dangerous.”

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 591
Posted From: 24.176.55.141
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am 24, pharmacy graduate, so I will not start making good money until about 2-3 months (licence examinations), and because that I have been in school the past 7 years I have accumulated a lot of debt.

Was going to live in Downtown Detroit, but I don't think I can really afford it at this moment of my life without putting myself further into debt.

For those older more experianced on the forum?

Any advice on a financial advisor or accountant and stuff like that. I am going to be making more money than I have ever been used to, and I want to be smart so that I would be able to retire early and actually live my life.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 717
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dick Cheney :-)

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 246
Posted From: 70.141.183.45
Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make between 41k and 45k and live in Downtown Detroit and yes I can afford it and put some away. I'm in property management and commute 60 miles roundtrip every day.

Rustic

Post Number: 2367
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, I am income-rich but cash poor: since we never passed the tort reform legislation the president mentioned in 2004, I'm looking at pricey liability from that accident I mentioned. Luckily for me the good lord saw fit to create a website that doesn't charge admission ...

ps -- in a heartbeat? come-on, that's not funny ...

(Message edited by rustic on April 23, 2006)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2520
Posted From: 66.167.210.27
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic - I was just kidding. I'm happy you post here. Good luck with your bad luck.

Rustic

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, for more of my all too familiar sad story click and scroll down ...

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 731
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe

Steelworker

Post Number: 643
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i consider myselve one of the poorest people i know using lowells standard.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.