Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Jamaica, Jamaica? Stinky Rose? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2521
Posted From: 66.167.210.27
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the story on the these Rivertown establishements...
...on Mt. Elliot...
jj
...and in the former Woodbridge...
sr

Any reviews or news?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2522
Posted From: 66.167.210.27
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JJ detail picture...
jj

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 66.174.79.228
Posted on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jamaica Jamaica is a small, family-owned restaurant on 7 Mile and Harlow (three blocks east of Southfield)(the owners lived just a few houses down from the restaurant, but moved a few years ago I think) (I grew up on Harlow, one block down at Cambridge). Very, very good food if you like spicy Jamaican. Don't know why the sign is down there, mybe they're opening something up there?

The Stinky Rose was a martini bar which opened last summer. I went there about three to four times. It was pretty nice. (and very big) It had a roof-top, open area with a bar. They had a small lounge area, with couches and an almost tropical-like atmosphere. There was an additional area on the main floor, outside, where bands would often play. All of this on top of the main area of about two to three rooms, with a very large dance floor. Altogether, there were three bars in the one place. I met the owner a few times when I went there, and he seemed like a great guy. Don't know if they're still open, or if they are only open in the summer. Would definitely go back if they are open.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 68.73.52.47
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Stinky Rose is trying to acquire a permanant liquor license and will be open soon.

Hairybackjoe
Username: Hairybackjoe

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 69.219.98.54
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually just ate at Jamaica Jamaica Cafeteria last week. Had the curry chicken and talked with the two nice people running it. If you're looking for a lunch alternative, I highly reccomend it.

Interesting note: the cafeteria shares their suite with an immigration law firm.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 66.174.92.166
Posted on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hairy,

So they also have a cafe downtown?

Leyland
Username: Leyland

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 68.42.76.80
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are some great names.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.