Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Would you consider Detroit to be an iconic city? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 549
Posted From: 209.240.205.61
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By iconic city, I mean instantly recognizable amongst a majority of Americans for one thing, be it an industry, monument, or event, or maybe some other thing.

Cities that are undeniably iconic IMO are:
San Francisco
LA
NYC
New Orleans
Las Vegas
DC

What do you think?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Las Vegas is, Detroit is. Las Vegas is known for only one thing. Detroit is generally either known as "a dangerous place" or "the motor city" so therefore, I say yes.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 579
Posted From: 68.60.110.67
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most definitely. And depending on the level, you could include a lot more.

For starters:
Portland, ME for its lobster industry
Salem, MA for the witchcraft trials
Nantucket, MA for its former whaling industry

Also NYC has 4 of its 5 of its boroughs as iconic:
The Bronx: the bombers, the cheer, the accent
Queens: World's Fair Grounds, Archie Bunker
Manhattan: eastside, westside, uptown, downtown
Brooklyn: Ralph Kramden, the boys of summer & those WWII movies where that "Common Man" soldier is always from Brooklyn

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1083
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In an unrelated story, I find it amazing that the Monopoly game will be coming our with a new "Then and Now" version of the game. There is a contest to choose what cities should be represented on the gameboard. i find it hard to believe that Detroit wasn't even listed as a choice. I have submitted a letter to the company expressing my displeasure.

Go see for yourself at Monopoly.com

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overseas I bet Detroit is one of the most recognized (by name) American cities.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 164.76.205.164
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is definatly represented by on thing, the american auto industry. When talking about things auto related the big 3 are often grouped together and known only as "Detroit". What other city can say that its name single handedly represents an entire industry?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1420
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Iconic as a place of industry, as the biggest city in Michigan, for cultural regions, for sports, and as an embellishment of typical urban symptoms post WWII.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 69.209.140.165
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My answer is yes, Detroit would most definitely be considered an iconic city.

#1 Detroit is an icon of automobile.

#2 Detroit is also an icon of a genre of music.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit is one of america's MOST iconic cities.

Detroit IS (if not in actuality, by name) the automobile center of the world

Detroit IS Motown, Techno, Garage Rock... (mostly motown)

Detroit is urban decay... (sadly)

I think few cities in America are more iconic... namely LA, NYC, WDC

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 471
Posted From: 68.35.85.184
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The above two posters hit the nail on its proverbial head. Elsewhere in the US, and in Europe, Detroit is defined as the Motor City, or Motown, or both - cars and music define Detroit for the world.

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 24.208.240.225
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While in Europe the all the Germans knew about Detroit and called it the Motor City as did the Japanese tourists I spoke with. Obviously these two countries make up the big 3 of auto producing nations. The six other countries I visited in Europe were hit or miss. Some of the people knew of Detroit some didn't and they didn't seem to know anothing about it being the Motor City, where the Germans and Japanese all seemed to be fully aware that Detroit was the Motor City.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 69.213.81.13
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Most Blacks, Detroit is the most recognized 'Black City' in amerikkka.

Worldwide, I say that it is iconic, due to the history of the automobile production! 'Motor-City'

super d(motordetroit)

Hysteria

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gmich99, which city is the 'German' Detroit? The whole Rhine/Ruhr industrial area or is there a specific city?

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 24.208.240.225
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Stuggart, Germany is the Motor City of Germany. HQ of Mercedes is located in Stuggart and was the topic of conversation whenever German autos were mentioned.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 141.213.66.34
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow @ the Monopoly thing. Detroit is the only major city in the country that didn't make the list.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 141.213.66.34
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, except for Pittsburgh and Cincinnati... but Cleveland over Detroit?!?!? Wow.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1079
Posted From: 63.41.40.102
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the salt mines ever flood, Detroit will be an ionic city.

/still working on my SDYPDJ

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 463
Posted From: 69.213.206.54
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This from shopadidas.com, a description of their "Detroit" Shoe:

Detroit
A style straight from "8 Mile", this is a sleeker, more comfortable take on classic adidas running shoes. The Detroit is for the serious sneaker fan who's all about keepin' it real.

Another Description from Urban Outfitters:

Detroit
A stylish take on classic running shoe styling with some indoor soccer details as well, the Detroit, like its namesake city, is no joke. Super soft suede upper is countered by bold bright striping on the sides and matching logo printing toward the heel, plus a textured tab at the heel...

Detroit has a shoe named after it, and based on these descriptions I'd say that Detroit is iconic for being no joke, real, and maybe the bad ass capital of the world?

Hysteria

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO, people consider Detroit to be a 'real' American city with real problems, a tough, no nonsense city ... to quote a line from a famous movie of the past ... "I'm nobody's fool ... least of all yours." George Sanders, 'All About Eve' 1950. Keepin' it real.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1095
Posted From: 68.248.42.122
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, iconic.

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a GQ article that listed the great things about America, Detroit was #21. I don't recall NYC even showing up. The "Paris of the Midwest" was featured because of its influential effect on music.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 12.191.225.130
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure about the German Detroit, but during the recent Olympics they were calling Turin the "Detroit of Italy." I don't think they meant it charitably.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 12.191.225.130
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just checked out the Monopoly thing. Kind of disappointing, but what nationally famous landmarks do we have? That's what they want you to vote on.

Detroit is iconic without a doubt but more for its industry, a state of mind, music etc.

Hysteria

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe NBC and others said that because Italy's largest auto company, Fiat, has their HQ in Turin. Fiat is also the majority owner of Ferrari of which (I believe) Maserati is part of. Alfa Romeo is also a division of Fiat ... Therefore, I don't think it's too far fetched to call Turin the Detroit of Italy.

Rberlin
Username: Rberlin

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 68.76.54.108
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Porsche is based in Stuttgart along with Daimler-Chrysler. I would think where ever VW was located would be more Detroit like than Stuttgart though. Does Detroit have a German sister city? Toyota City makes sense.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 726
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i asked a woman from china what people in her homeland think of when they think of detroit. she said usually, the pistons; then, the motor city. when i asked her if any cities in the u.s. had a reputation for crime, she said probably, chicago.

also, i saw a comedian from new york who said his notion of detroit, before coming here, was that the city was full of smart people who knew how to engineer and build cars, highly intelligent people who knew how to design and manufacture things and assemble all sorts of complicated machinery to run the factories. since he was from new york, he probably had a baseline expectation that big cities have crime, so he looked beyond that - in the same way that new york has crime, but people typically think of the statue of liberty, the empire state building, the brooklyn bridge, metropolitan museum of art, st. patrick's cathedral, the yankees, etc., when they picture new york.

and speaking of new york - one thing i always liked about the locals when i traveled there - as soon as i told folks i was from detroit, quite often the first thing that would happen is they'd go down the roll call of detroit sports greats - joe louis, sugar ray robinson, gordie howe, sid abel, ty cobb, hal newhouser, bob lanier, etc., and they'd peal off all the championship clubs, like the '68 tigers. i always thought that the average new yorker knew more about detroit sports than a lot of detroiters themselves!

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 148.61.248.170
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course Detroit is iconic!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree it's the badass capitol. Defenitly get street cred being from Detroit when you're in other towns

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 682
Posted From: 68.42.220.37
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally iconic.

Remember the song "Chicago, New York, Detroit it's all the same place."

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/\ someone earlier said (paraphrasing) "becasue of tangible things, not state of mind, music, etc."

I would think they chose Cleveland because of what...Drew Carey?!?!? Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame? What Detroit has given to the world in auto man. ALONE outpaces anything friggin' Cleveland has to offer! (Of course, I'm forgetting the rock n' roll along with the "cruising" scene, aren't I?!?)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.