Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Owner of Bridge spotlighted in Windsor Star Article « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 153.90.171.196
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The illustrious Matty Maroun has been highlighted in today's Windsor Star. I worked at the Ambassador Bridge for about 7 monthes. Can't say I can recall anything nice to say about this guy. The Windsor Star might not want to get into bed with the wrong guy. I think that blue paint might be all that's holding that Bridge up. You'd figure the outragious tolls might pay for some improvements. I'd bet his house is quite nice though. Mainly because his workers really aren't making crap all. I think half of them a temp workers, just so he doesn't have to pay benefits or the like. Drive north to Port Huron or East to Buffalo to see how a bridge should operate or look. Anyhow, enough commentary look at yourself:

http://www.canada.com/windsors tar/news/story.html?id=f1ab2f7 b-3f15-48ee-9c8c-db1a74519a52& k=21939

P.S. He owns most of the desolate land around the Bridge. Fine upstanding citizen. I believe he also owns the train station and the Yellow trucking line. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mountainman

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 153.90.171.196
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spoke to soon. Windsor Star is better presenting him than I thought. My bad. Me and my big ole retarded mouth.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 377
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hadn't heard about the possible 2nd span to the bridge.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 121
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't read that latest article yet but at the federal level in Canada, Bill C3 was recently introduced and would give the government control over all crossings, public or private. The government would ultimately have the final say as to whether not Matty gets to build a second bridge or not since included in the bill is control over building new crossings. Also, they could dictate how existing crossings are run if they see a problem.

Here's an article about Bill C3 here:

http://www.todaystrucking.com/ news.cfm?intDocID=16139&CFID=5 97960&CFTOKEN=14419390

To read it, just login using email "bob@bobmail.com" and password "bobbob".

Urbanator
Username: Urbanator

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 69.14.166.158
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yellow (so far) not owned by Moroun! About 300 local dock/drivers employed at Detroit Terminal & members of Teamsters Local 299. Yellow likely to relocate outside Detroit should current plan go forward.

Disgusting amount of money already spent to "study" 2nd bridge:

http://www.partnershipborderst udy.com/index.asp

Should also mention current plan would displace 300 homes DelRay. . . interesting how out of all the possible locations the area chosen for "further study" is the poorest.

"State government leaders are said to be torn over what to pay Delray's residents who must be relocated, since none could buy a home elsewhere if only given the assessed value of their current properties. Buyouts are likely to begin in 2008 at the earliest."

http://www.canada.com/windsors tar/news/story.html?id=a544f42 2-2c52-4b44-b776-121f58ba088c& k=50988&p=1

I heard about this boondoggle in FEB and wonder how I managed to miss over a year's worth of meetings.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1672
Posted From: 68.255.241.255
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing to remember about the study is that it is sponsored by the states (both) and the feds (both). It's intention is to get a 2nd crossing that is not owned by Matty.

He has been spending a lot of money to try to discredit it so that his company doesn't have any competition.

The other unfortunate thing is that since his companies have so effectivly been buying land all along the boarders, they will likely get a decent pay out fron the emminent domain taking.

quote:

Should also mention current plan would displace 300 homes DelRay. . . interesting how out of all the possible locations the area chosen for "further study" is the poorest.

This may be true, but they are also the most vacant, have the fewest natural features, are closest to the rest of the road network, and are near the narrowest point in the river.

I'd like to see a CDC set up with bridge money and southwest Detroit expertise to relocate the impacted neighborhood to a more attractive area in this part of the city. Give them a fair price if they just want to get outta dodge, but make it attractive to keep their community together, but in a different area.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1931
Posted From: 216.203.223.93
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "He owns most of the desolate land around the Bridge. Fine upstanding citizen"
Indeed. If you want to spot his buildings, just look for the ones with no windows. (MCS and the 3 story building next to it, once the Main Post Office are good examples).
The bridge company has also been thumbing its' nose at the city by doing construction without getting any zoning clearance.

Mountainman

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 69.144.194.110
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto, I do recall a lot of construction without city permits while I worked there. Pretty sure they actually just willy-nilly closed off streets. A fair amount of it was an attempt to actually funnel unsuspecting traffic into his over-priced toll booths.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 68.42.252.205
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He must be a bad guy, creating jobs and commerce in a destitute city.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did you work for the DIB, Mountain?..I worked for Matty Moron for a few years back in the early-mid 1990's......it was as you described...part time people working full time hours, no benefits, 1/2 the pay, and at the duty free stores, temp agency employees....

Mountainman

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy,
Worked there in 2001/2002. Actually had the old man yell at me. Even met one his grease ball sons. Good to see we both survived

Mountainman

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Taj920,
The work Mr.Maroun created was actually mainly for temp workers living in Canada. A substantial chunk of the workers were actually Native Americans (Canadian Citizens, indigenous people to North America) being paid in Canadian money. Little dicey, but that's the kinda guy Maroun is. He hurt the city of Detroit by not paying for his builing permits and then suing them in court when they tried to stop work. A large chunk of the workers were actually residents of the suburbs. One of the rules of working at the Bridge, was the you were not allowed to leave the property once you were there. So, no spin off revenue for the surrounding stores and residences. Lets take this a step further, and bring up something that should concern Americans living around that Bridge. The workers make very little money, and are generally quite unsatisfied with their jobs. The right pay off comes your way for allowing something to slip by their attention, or aid in the trafficing of unwanted/questionable things ..... well in order to survive/make a living, it would be hard to blame them. Afterall most of them aren't even Americans. Not saying I necessarily saw anything, or that I know of any particular incidents. But it is something to think about.

P.S. Taj920, you ever worked for living? These are crappy jobs and not ones that anyone would envy.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mountain, He tried to yell at me once when I was doing traffic and I pretended not to know him and told him to get back in his car before he got himself hurt or caused an accident.....it was kind of fun playing dumb. We should start some kind of "Survivors of Matty" 12 step group or something....feel free to e-mail me, you can link from my user name.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1934
Posted From: 66.2.148.130
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good stories, guys. Those of us who have lived near the bridge know that the guy is a scumbag, but it's easy to forget just what a collosal scumbag he is.

Mountainman

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy,
That's hilarous. Old fart must have nearly had an artery blow. 12 step program sound like a good idea. Still have nightmares about the diesel dust and tiny paychecks

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5516
Posted From: 65.92.102.75
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in the club too... I worked for him at a Windsor Warehouse in the late 90's.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 308
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

. . . Sounds like a survivors' circle of sharing here.

Actually, as Part 2 of the two-day Windsor Star series reminded us yesterday, his estranged sisters Victoria Baks + Florence McBrien also would fit right in.

quote:

No battle cut closer to the bone than the one with his sisters. The women accused their brother of trying to shut them out of their father's estate.

"We receive no remuneration from Centra at all, while my brother takes millions out of the corporation our father founded and built for all of his children and grandchildren," Baks said in a court statement.

See it all at http://www.canada.com/windsors tar/news/story.html?id=df64d6d 6-356f-48ae-b1f5-720eb963ee31& k=34131

Perpare for a gag reflex if you reach the end:

quote:

The bridge kingpin wants to be enshrined as a prominent builder of the local and national economies. . . . "You know, when you get my age you start to think a little bit about how you will be remembered."

Too late, Matty, way too late.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 309
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

x
"One more for the road, 2 olives . . . and make it snappy."

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1936
Posted From: 66.2.148.211
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish some of you ex-Maroun slaves would come to a Bridgewatch meeting sometime to share your experiences working for the vampire. I'll post notice of the next meeting here.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 66.174.92.169
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother and I both worked at the Ammex in the early 90's. My fondest memory was of his wife coming in to critique the "sunflowers" display, as she had just had a sunflower garden planted in her back yard.

Funny to hear all of the other wonderful moments working for old Matty.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1952
Posted From: 66.2.148.101
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PUBLIC MEETINGS: Detroit River International Crossing Study
May 9, 7pm to 9pm
La Sed 7150 W. Vernor

May 10, 7 to 9 pm
SWHS 6921 W. Fort St.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8408
Posted From: 67.71.56.144
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in for being employed by one of his numerous companies too.

I can see any bridge whether the feds build it or Manny himself being tied up in court for a while!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.