Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Forest Fire in Northern Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 24.208.243.207
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Started this afternoon East of Higgens Lake. Could smell the fire and see some ash in the air about 25-30 miles from the fire in Grayling this evening.

THE U.S. FOREST SERVICE AND OTHER FIREFIGHTERS RESPONDED TO A BUILDING WILDFIRE SHORTLY BEFORE TWO O'CLOCK THIS AFTERNOON IN SOUTHERN OSCODA COUNTY. MANY OTHER DEPARTMENTS ARE HELPING BATTLE THE FIRE. THE FIRE BEGAN IN SOUTH OF LUZERNE ON VALLEY ROAD NEAR UNION CORNERS ROAD. WITH A HEAVY WIND TO FAN IT, THE FIRE WAS SOON OUT OF CONTROL. EVACUATIONS WERE ORDERED IN THAT AREA. FIREFIGHTERS ARE STILL ON THE SCENE TONIGHT. WE WILL HAVE CONTINUING COVERAGE OF THIS FIRE ON 9&10 NEWS.

http://www.9and10news.com/News /story.asp?StoryID=50767

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy smokes my cabin is up there!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5846
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy smokes

Heh.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1189
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

planner---is Ma Deter's Bar/Restaurant still in Luzerne? I actually met her once when I was a wee lad and we had a summer cabin on Moon Lake in Lewiston in the 30's thru the 70's.
I will never forget that sign that marked Ma's watering hole---"This is God's Country-Don't Drive thru here like Hell"

Cris
Username: Cris

Post Number: 412
Posted From: 71.227.30.129
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ma Deter's.... that brings back memories!! There was a sign on the door to the bar saying no guns or knives allowed. My husband and I stayed there one night (in about 1991 or so) when we were stranded in the area... quite an experience!! The room was $20 and you had to leave a $10 deposit, which you got back as long as you returned the key. Just a very basic, noisy room above the bar with a bathroom down the hall. The bathroom had graffiti on the walls that was probably from the early 70s... I remember it was a blizzard and there was an absolute crapload of snow on the ground the next morning. We met Ma Deter the next morning when we were checking out and we asked where to eat breakfast... she sent us to the local Lions Club (or maybe it was a KofC or something, I don't remember) for their Sunday morning all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast.

Good times, good times. I hope they are OK up there.

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes there is a Ma Deeter's never ate there. My place is (maybe was) only a few hundred yards from the Clear Lake Bar; which has outstanding specials. I have made it to Lost Creek Skyranch which is not too far from Ma Deeters though.

The best food I had up there was a giant pork chop served with apple chutney, garlic mashed potatoes, and green beans at Garland. Best thing about it was I used my AAA card and got 10 percent off and paid for it with my NWA card and got airmiles.

My dad will be up there this weekend to open it up for turkey season. He goes hunting and me having this place has made him feel like king of all the old retired guys that go hunting. He probably uses it more than I do.

Here are some famous Detroit connections to the area:

Joe Louis worked in a CCC camp during the depression to make money for his family. The camp was located along Fairview Rd, a few miles S of Luzerne.

Chas Heston (Actor and Gun Nut) spent his summers growing up in St Helens Michigan and the rest of his years over in Grosse Pointe. He is a member of the Carter Family that owned just about everything in St Helens.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on May 01, 2006)

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 216.93.121.82
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ma Deeters is still there, new owners, and the sign has been replaced but a new one and still has the saying about driving through town. I have a place on the corner of Deeter & Palmer rds. 1/2 mile from the bar. Spent a lot of time in the sky ranch and the Clear Lake bar, partied with the waitresses on a few occasions
Good friend lives down the road.

The_rock

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lord above, look what I started!! Ma Deter's, still going strong. That makes me happy.
Get me going on Lewiston and I will hijack this thread. Luzerne, Red Oak, Mio , Lewiston---been there, done that in the 30's and 40's when it was really "laid back". GP is quite anti-climatic after my Northern Michigan childhood.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 353
Posted From: 68.250.41.176
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My family cabin was on Little Wolf Lake on the Oscoda/Montmorency county borders. My favorite up-north memories are going to Talleys bar for burgers with my moms side of the family before our canoe outings on the Au Sable. We'd also eat at the Red Wood Steak House alot, and my cousin & I did lots of exploring & trouble-making in the woods around Lewiston.

man do I miss that place

The_rock

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulj--I hear that Tally's is still the landmark watering hole in Lewiston. Locals used to go to The Annex which was just North of Bingham Park. And I remember the first year that the Red Wood Steak House opened. Nice place. My aunt knew the owners.
Forest fires are always a concern up there.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 207.91.212.254
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talleys is legendary. Many a brew at Ma Deeters. My ball team has been asked to leave the Redwoods. Our golf guys have a charred chunk of the old Garland clubhouse we've lacquered in to our annual trophy. But my favorite was the Spot Bar on 32 in Vienna, awesome pizza. Bar is still there, different name, different 'za.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn Fudgies going up north and starting fires!

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 69.220.233.37
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forest fire update:

http://www.9and10news.com/news /story.asp?StoryID=50804

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1109
Posted From: 63.41.8.70
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at it as habitat restoration for the Kirtland's Warbler.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0, 1607,7-153-10370_12145_12202-3 2591--,00.html

My family used to rent a cottage on West Twin Lake near Lewiston, during the sixties. What I remember was picking the wild strawberries that were everywhere along the roads. Too young then to remember the watering holes.

The_rock

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are NEVER too young to remember a good watering hole.
Anyway, and speaking of fires, Northern Michigan used to have a few fire towers located in strategic places in the upper part of the lower peninsula. One was located south of either East or West Twin Lake in Lewiston. I got to climb up to the tower one day and I can still recall the majestic view. No condos back then, just a wide expanse of green forests, lakes and a few cabins. I don't know if there are anymore of these towers standing or not.
Island- never got to your pub in Vienna. Did travel through Johnanasburg, however, on the way to Gaylord from Lewiston.
Shame on you for causing trouble in the Redwoods.I played at Bingham Park in Lewiston while a camper at Camp Sancta Maria outside Gaylord on 32. Too young to even get into Tally's at that time.
Garland Golf Resort ( Herman Otto) was built on farm land originally owned by the Wonderlick family from Wisconsin. I think Mr. Otto originally built it for employees. customers of his company in Detroit (Garland Mfg. Co.) We used to see zillions of deer grazing there at night. It is quite a complex today. Fire fires are always a threat.

Kenp

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did some searching for Ma Deeters on the web awhile back and found a site for them. Check it out, their web page is quite a laugh.
http://www.madeeters.com/

The_rock

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry,Ma. For 47 years I have only been putting one "e" in your last name.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4080
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No thanks to global warming, Michigan weather will be quite topsy turby this year. First the violent storms, then comes the super dry period. Did this state just have some rain last time?

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kent, your page is not exactly informational isn't it? Check out my corner bar's page!

http://home.1stpage.com/1stloo k/pages/standard.cfm?url=clear lakebar

they update it on a sopradic basis with info about snow, hunting, fishing, golfing, snowmobiling....

The_rock

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there used to be one of those fire towers near West Branch, too.

Kenp

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clear Lake is a cool bar, my friends Mo, Sheri and Heidi are fun.
The Ma Deeters site was a joke, I will find a better one

Detroitplanner

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The firetower was on top of the West Brainch Moraine, a few miles N of town; off of Fairview Road. There is currently an area of hiking paths where you can park, and walk several miles. I came accross the remnants of that tower a few years ago, not much left of it, but it looked odd to be there in the middle of the woods.

The_rock

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am told by a local that the fire tower near Lewiston is still standing although the steps ( ladder) leading up to the top have been removed and you don't go up there anymore. I am told furthur that at night you can hear Ma Deeter singing from the lookout if you listen carefully.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.