Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Underground Railroad... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a lifelong resident of Detroit but I am ashamedly ignorant of the Underground Railroad activities that took place in Detroit. So, I am interested in any information anyone would like to share on this thread. Of course, I am interested in all the whys and wherefores of the Underground Railroad but I am also interested in any remnants, structures, historical signs or any visible signs of this important part of Detroit’s history.

What brought this interest up to me is a conversation I was having with a lifelong friend that lives in Sarnia, Ontario. We were talking hockey and she told me that there were quite a few black hockey players in Chatham, Ontario where some players that went into the NHL were originally from. I thought that was odd given that there are not many black players in the NHL and asked her about it and that was when she told me that there was quite a large community of blacks in Chatham. I asked her why and she stumbled over the fact that there was some kind of railroad where blacks had come from Detroit. I said, “Do you mean the Underground Railroad?” And, she said, “Yes, that’s it the Underground Railroad!” So, that got me thinking about the Underground Railroad.

underground

Livedog2

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3221
Posted From: 68.252.127.221
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take some time to visit 2nd Baptist on Monroe in Greektown and 1st Congregational on Woodward.

The statue on the river in Hart Plaza faces another on the Windsor side.

The placque in Capital Park commerates Findlay's Barn an important stop.

These are just some of the sites if you'ld like to walk on some of the same ground used.

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History would have some information on any Detroit participation in the underground rairoad.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 409
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some links...

http://living-library.com/UGR/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_railroad

There is a nice statue at Hart Plaza about the UR. There is a matching statue in Windsor that comepletes the voyage. Anyone have pics of the Windsor one?

There is a church in Greektown which was a stop, can't think of the name right now. But Chatham does have a decent black population as does areas like New Haven, MI and Mount Clemons, MI based on the UR. Also I think Adrian was a stop as well, can anyone confirm?

Here are some pics I shot of the Detroit statue.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another link I found

http://www.freedomcenter.org/

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 136
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also believe there's a plaque somewhere near the GAR building commemorating the Underground Railroad.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 330
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amherstburg, Ontario was a major port of railroad. Check out this dated press release from the Government of Canada (the backgrounders contain information about sites, settlements, history, etc,): http://www.pch.gc.ca/newsroom/ index_e.cfm?fuseaction=display Document&DocIDCd=8NR156

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1308
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit and the Underground Railroad" from the Detroit Historical Museum:

http://www.detroithistorical.o rg/learningcenter/curriculumma terials/detroitsstory/a5.pdf

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 331
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A photo of the Windsor monument from www.eddwight.com . The Detroit monument has the people looking to Canada for freedom, whereas the Windsor monument is of people celebrating their landing in Canada.

Photo

There is a better picture at http://www.visitwindsor.com/main.htm . Click "send a postcard" (under the US flag on the right hand side. The monument picture is top row in the middle.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 985
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second Baptist recently expanded the book nook they had into a regular storefront now next to the church - when I last visited the clerk was quite informative and they had a number of interesting titles in stock.

Plymouth Historical Society is currently running an exhibit on Underground Railroad Quilts

from MOT thanks to the debut of Margaret Garner last year - The Underground Railroad in Michigan

and as this map shows you can come across UGRR sites almost anywhere in southern Michigan

It's also interesting to note that it wasn't a one way flow across the river. Just as US slaves fled to freedom in Canada, Canadian slaves came to the US for the same reason.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8374
Posted From: 67.71.56.144
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget this important stop. Only about 15 minutes outside of Windsor.

http://www.undergroundrailroad museum.com/

Jams

Post Number: 3222
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's also interesting to note that it wasn't a one way flow across the river. Just as US slaves fled to freedom in Canada, Canadian slaves came to the US for the same reason.

Lilpup, that one throws me,if you can supply some documentation, I'd be happy to look at it.

Upper Canada (Ontario) outlawed slavery in 1793. Through court verdicts, Canada essentialy abolished slavery throughout the other provinces.

In 1834 Great Britain abolished slavery throughout the Empire.

Jams

Post Number: 3223
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat,
Maybe you can shed a little light on Lilpup's statement? My memory of Canadian history is not as fresh as it used to be.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2390
Posted From: 71.234.183.131
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay illegal immigration!

Lilpup

Post Number: 986
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the flight from Canada occured earlier than the flight from the American south but the river served the same purpose both times

Ontario's and Michigan's paths to abolition are somewhat similar. Although Upper Canada outlawed slavery in 1793 those already in servitude were not emancipated. In Michigan the Northwest Ordinance of 1787 prohibited slavery but this was not strictly enforced. Those already in servitude in Michigan were not emancipated until the adoption of Michigan's constitution in 1837.

An interesting online overview (with references) is here
see also "The Blacks in Canada" by Robin Winks

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1417
Posted From: 70.228.2.1
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Haven was a stop as folks taking the Port Huron route took a short cut to Lake St. Clair.

Mt. Clemens, the county seat of Macomb Co. which was named after a Detroit resident and slave holder, was also a stop on the underground railroad, but neither have the extensive history or documentation that those listed in maps above do. Black folks mainly stayed in the above communities because there was heavy industry that black folks could work at jobs that most white folks didn't want (sound familiar?).

Adrian was indeed a stop on the Underground Railroad as well. There is a strong history of religious institutions (Methodist, Quaker, Catholic, etc.) who sheltered fugutive slaves in that community. I think celebrating that history would really help a community and downtown that isn't doing so well.

Jams

Post Number: 3230
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Lilpup for that link,

It's an aspect of history of the area I was unaware. I'll spend some time reading it over and adding it to my store of information.

I hope you were not offended by my increduality, it was just nothing I had ever come across in my studies. I knew there were slaves in the area, just not the numbers of your documentation.

Thanks again for the info you provded.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 414
Posted From: 68.42.176.190
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~l1 tellis/index.html

Doing a little research of my own, I found out the Masonic lodge (St. Mary's #4 PHA F&AM) I joined while living in Ann Arbor was housed in a church which was a stop on the Railroad, Bethel AME. I am sure my lodge was an intergal part in moving them towards Detroit along the way.

It was also interesting that an AME church was a stop, Richard Allen, the father of the AME church was a Prince Hall Mason as well, talk about network.

I knew my lodge played a part in history in Ann Arbor as it was founded in 1867, but I didn't know to what extint.

It's so amazing this was done so long ago with just bravery and tenacity for a "better life". Sometimes you have to study your own people to get a better idea and appreciation about yourself.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3609
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you really "on the square", Vision...?

Black-atcha .....

Username: 1953

Post Number: 792
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always found Michigan's role in the underground railroad to be exaggerated by Michiganders. As a free and border state, Michigan naturally played a role in the movement, but there are other routes from slavery than through southeast Michigan. Especially before I-75.

Lilpup

Post Number: 989
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've always found Michigan's role in the underground railroad to be exaggerated by Michiganders."

In what manner exaggerated?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 416
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin...

Hit me up kevin at urbansourcedetroit dot com

Username: 1953

Post Number: 793
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exaggerated, as in, they think Michigan played some kind of huge, important role.

Jams

Post Number: 3240
Posted From: 69.212.125.242
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take some time to learn history.
Michigan, and Detroit, in particular, were very important to the Underground Railway and the Anti-slavery movement of the time.

Not the only one, but a very important one.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think it was a HUGE role but very important as Jams said. I think that basically with Michigan and Detroit being something like a "finish line" to Canada and into SE Mich, it's quite notable. A system of transporting and hiding slaves in a "free" state still had it's challenges and dangers. I am sure there were some economical indicators that these people moving around were slaves and there were some people in Michigan who would have chomped at the bit to get them sent back down south or to other enslaved states or even arrested.

Michigan may have been "free" but the dangers remained the people involved in the transport risked a lot and did a lot to house and aid the slaves moving onward.

I might be rambling on, but the role of Michigan in the Underground Railroad can't be downplayed.

Jams

Post Number: 3242
Posted From: 69.212.125.242
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a huge role?

quote:

May - In a two-day period, 800 -- 1,000 refugees from slavery pass through Michigan on the Michigan Central Railroad, to Detroit and on to Windsor after the Harris family, refugees living in Chicago, are returned to slavery in Missouri.

http://www.daahp.wayne.edu/185 0_1899.html

Detroit should take great pride in its role as the terminus of the Underground Railroad, thousands of former slaves came through here to proclaim their freedom across that river.

Again, I say, learn your history.

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 155.139.40.51
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Octagon House on old Van Dyke north of 26 Mile road was also a stop. If you visit you can see the small room in the basement where people hid.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a great site Jams

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8388
Posted From: 67.71.56.144
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget that bounty hunters roamed freely in Michigan and even into Canada looking for fugitive slaves to bring back to their slave owners. Michigan and Ontario were very important areas for slvaes trying to find freedom.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.