Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Pictures from May 1st Immigration Issue Rally « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2562
Posted From: 66.167.58.162
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

En route to Belle Isle handball today, my son and I stopped off at St. Anne's for the immigration rally. About 4-500 were in attendance including our own Barnesfoto, camera in hand of course.

rally

What, indeed, would Jesus do?
kids

Barnes commented that this one should be special for Karl. :-)
for Karl

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1187
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, there's my gardner!!

Mpow
Username: Mpow

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 200.65.7.48
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks lowell for the pics. Hope barnesfoto puts some up.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3225
Posted From: 68.252.127.221
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Lowell,
While not officially boycotting, I had some research to do today, so I never really left the house except to cut the lawn. (I'm cheap immigrant labour "from south of the border").

I came across something which I posted on another thread:

quote:

Recent polls suggest a majority of Americans would support legislation being debated in the Senate that would allow many illegal immigrants to join a legal guest worker program and later apply for citizenship. An NBC/Wall Street Journal survey last week found 68 percent would support this with 28 percent in opposition

Obviously, with those numbers Americans have a great deal more compassion than many on this forum show.

aside to Barnesfoto, too much to do today, hope to see you Thursday at Jacoby's. Interested to hear your impressions.

El_rey_de_la_ciudad
Username: El_rey_de_la_ciudad

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought about going to that rally.....but I didnt want to be the only dominican out there. lol

Jdp000109
Username: Jdp000109

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 69.245.91.232
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Swear i seen them waving MEXICAN flags, and holding up American flags upside down.

Why would you hold up Mexico's flag and America's upside down to show disrespect, when trying to gain entry to this country? I mean they have to pick one...

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 528
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why would you hold up Mexico's flag and America's upside down to show disprespect, when trying to gain entry to this country?

Pretty friggin stupid on their part.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1941
Posted From: 66.2.148.26
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, you mean that little two year old bastard on the trike? I got a pic of him holding that flag upside down at the last rally! They oughta dee-port him.
When I saw lowell, his son and his camera, I figured I was off the hook on posting photos.
St. Anne's was a kinda small turnout, and a fraction of the turnout was the usual idiots that show up at every demo, like BAMN and the Revolutionary Communist Parrots. But I hear that Clark Park had a large crowd.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3762
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended a Yankee-Red Sox game in Yankee Stadium 5 yrs. ago. The Dominicans came out like mad with DR flags for Pedro Martinez, even though the young men lived in Brooklyn and Queens.
They xeroxed plantains into "K"s and put up 17 of them for Pedro that night. Yankees still won on a Chili Davis homer, 1-0.

There is great nationalistic and ethnic pride amongst immigrants. The Mexicans' flags are sort like "We're here, we're queer., deal with us."

The marchers want to become legalized Americans, there's no doubt about it. They know the history of the Southwest USA. The lines down there are arbitrary in their opinions.

jjaba talked to The Rock's gardener who says he hasn't been paid beans for the Spring clean-up.
Come on Rock, pay the man AND his Social Security.

Otherwise, you might have to enlist Buffy and Huntington next door in GP who will expect real money so they can fuel up daddy's BMW.

jjaba, the Rock makes him laugh.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3763
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936, undocumented immigrants in Las Vegas stay in Las Vegas. Remember, if it wasn't for the Mexicans, Las Vegas would have no culture at all.

Maybe Ray1936 needs to organize a Detroit Culture Night on the parking lot of the Liberace Museum.

jjaba, LOL.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 70.174.38.160
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some problems of immigration: Dilution of the Protestant factor; overburdening of social services; more trips to the litterbox due to Mexican food.

Jjaba

Post Number: 3764
Posted on Monday, May 01, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, jjaba forgot.
Las Vegas does have culture; 50 Elvis wannabees.
Oy Veyesmere. Where's Wayne Newton singing Dankeschein when we need him?

jjaba, LOL.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8380
Posted From: 67.71.56.144
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe that guy from Arizona should read history and realize that the state of Arizona, Utah, and California (not excluding Texas) were the spoils of war.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 530
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe that guy from Arizona should read history and realize that Arizona, Utah, and California (not excluding Texas) were the spoils of war

Hey, ya forgot Nevada. But of course, what happens here, stays here.

Ray1936, putting on his Elvis wig and singing "Viva, Las Vegas".

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3047
Posted From: 129.137.169.142
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe that guy from Arizona should read history and realize that the state of Arizona, Utah, and California (not excluding Texas) were the spoils of war."

Careful Goat, we could take Canada in about four days.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3386
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why would BAMN show up?

Goat

Post Number: 8382
Posted From: 67.71.56.144
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Czar, you would never be able to take Canada. The guerilla warfare would destroy you all. lol
Remember, you all tried it once and got spanked. :-)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 243
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, How about the Mexican boys on the Vegas strip who click those little picture-cards advertising prostitutes (with pictures of them spread eagle, showin' the goods) and try to hand them to you--when you are walking with your lady!
That's classy and sexy.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 687
Posted From: 68.42.220.37
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for supporting the immigrants, after all we are all immigrants or children of immigrants.

Flying the foriegn flags (and our flag upside down) does rub me the wrong way. Can you imagine if a bunch of Americans held a rally in Mexico City waiving American flags. They'd be burned at the stake.

My immigrant grand parents came here 100% comitted to this country and its traditions and culture. They would never have waived the Italian flag and their children were not taught Italian. If you want to be am American, great, but be an American.

If I were George Bush, I'd pass a law that illegals are welcome, can stay as long as they like, and can be paid no less than $20 an hour.

That would pretty much be the end of illegal immigration (employment levels would implode at $20 per hour).

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2628
Posted From: 199.74.87.98
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, are African-Americans immigrants? They didn't come here because they wanted "a better life."

Gmich99
Username: Gmich99

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 24.208.243.207
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If American Congressmen were truely concerned with lessening the flood of immigration it would raise the Federal minimum wage. Immigrants do not come in great numbers where there are no jobs. American citizens cannot afford to work at the Federal minimum wage of $5.15 an hour and immigrants fill the void. I have read articles placing the minimum wage necessary to live above the poverty lines in our major cities near or above $20.00 an hour. Few Americans are going to accept positions that pay less than is necessary to afford the necessities in life.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 149.149.4.199
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

catman_dude,

Why is the dilution of the protestant population an issue?

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2629
Posted From: 199.74.87.98
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because this country was founded as a Protestant nation. Duh.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 744
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thought america had a proud tradition of hosting illegal immigrants way back to 1492. why are people all excited *now*?

i guess God wanted *americans* to have this country. if God wanted mexicans in the united states, God wouldn't have created mexico, simple as that. mexico is the land where mexicans belong.

but seriously - everyone should have to apply for citizenship in this country, maybe every seven years or so, like a driver's license. why should a worker with a quest to make a decent living be denied a job that someone collecting welfare and drinking beer on his porch refuses to take?

oh, our little island paradise!!!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 687
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BAMN always shows up.

But I didn't, and I'm mostly sorry*. The photos look great, Lowell and thank you.

No landscaping got done Monday in my little corner of heaven. Not in my end of Royal Oak. Viva!

One man's spoils of war is another man's occupied country, I guess.

*I was desperately in need of a day off and I took one.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3634
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no one to blame for this mass migration than the Founders, who set incredibly high ideals for this country. One can't deny that the U.S.A. is more a state of mind and ideal, than a place, for better or for worse. People decry "illegal" immigration for the simple fact of the word, but don't seem to care that our current immigration laws and procedures are in pure shambles making it more difficult than it should to get into this country. People seem to think that somehow, immigrants that came in through Ellis Island had to face HALF of what immigrants have to face today. That's why I get tired of heaing such-and-such bitch about how their grandparents and such from the "Old Country" did it the legal way. People seem to want to purposefully trip up on the word "illegal" for the simple fact that it totally shuts down the rest of the debate. It's also illegal to jaywalk, too.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 287
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"People seem to want to purposefully trip up on the word "illegal" for the simple fact that it totally shuts down the rest of the debate. It's also illegal to jaywalk, too."

Comparing immigration laws with not crossing the street at the corner? Talk about trying to obfuscate the issue with words or in this case bad analogies.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 616
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a little information, flying the American flag upside down is a symbol of distress.

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiq uette.html

Now wheather or not that was a known intention or not, who can say. From thier perspective, it would be fitting, or perhaps they are trying to be disrespectful.

Who knows.

Gmich99

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan-

Agreed, the immigration limitations of the past which benefited most current Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, German-Americans, as well as many other groups were at best a rubber stamp form filled out upon arrival. Many could not read and write nor speak English upon arrival. They instilled traditions now celebrated by millions of Americans each year, such as Saint Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo (funny how both involve drinking at your local bar). Immigrants now are expected to know English on arrival, have completed numerous steps before during and after arrival, take an exam, have a background check performed, etc. Most Americans and their ancestors never had to jump through such hoops and if they had they would never have made it legaly to this country.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 688
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just curious, so I have a question for the anti-immigration people on here. Do you people ever go to Hamtramck? Corktown? do you frequent Italian restaurants? I think we should pick a day next week and cover Metro Detroit, removing all offending relics of other countries. Only when every sign in Polish (and every illegal Polish "cousin" from the restaurants and stores) are gone gone gone will we truly be free.

And we can have naming contests. I nominate, to replace the evil foreign name, Joe's Snackhouse to replace Baile Corchagh.

Gmich99

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget to remove all signs in English, thats the queen's language and foreign. We even went to war with those people twice we hated them so much. Revolutionary War and War of 1812.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 618
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand your points about immigration, but the people arriving in New York were immigrating through legal channels, however absurd they might seem to us today.

That brings up in interesting aspect concerning things, times have changed. No one coming to Ellis Island flew a schooner or tramp steamer into the Statue of Liberty.

Not starting an argument, but pointing out that as times change, we need to be able to adapt with the times and come up with sound policies that allow for immigration, while protecting out boarders, which is one of the key tenants for sovereignty.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3637
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ease at which people immigrated through Ellis Island IS an issue, and one that needs to be discussed. You pass it off as if it was some inconsequential point. Current naturalization rules and procedure are unnecessarily burdensome, and that needs to be the whole other half of the issue. One can argue that we need to secure our borders, but you sure as hell better have a solution on the other end, or otherwise end up looking as if you have some other agenda. You can scream "illegal" and not have some comprehensive to naturalize those already, here, and those that will want to come in the future. Well, you can, but you'd look pretty foolish and xenophobic, which probably wouldn't be too far from the truth. The whole Protectionist crowd (those that scream protection without any solution to the entire system of naturalization) just stinks of something wicked. The idea that the idea of "America" needs to only be protected/secured is something just absurdly ridiculous, on its own. One can have legitimate security concerns, but must balance it with the idea that even as much as America needs to be "protected," it needs to be equally inclusive to allow anyone that is already an American in their heart and mind (just about every immmigrant, undocumented or otherwise) to be able to immigrate here with ease.

Again, one can have legitimate security concerns, but still support immigration. I hear the other side speak this all of the time, but they don't seem to live it out through their actions. They seem more interested in keeping people out, than actually finding a total solution to the problem. They scream they are tolerant, but then over no reform to immigration and naturalization law. Why should anyone support a side that makes a point to say that it is both tolerant, but concerned, but offers up no real solution? Why should anyone side with a side where you have a pretty voacal minority (some may even argue it's joined with a silent majority) that makes it a point that the reason they oppose illegal immigration (and would want to make legal immigration harder if you ask them) is to "protect" "American" culture? IMO, not only is that an absurd argument, it's inherently xenophobic.

Sorry, last time I checked, "American" isn't a defined ethnic group, language, or culture, rather it's an idea and ideal with fundamental values that can be practiced by nearly any culture, language, or religion. I now, for sure, that there are quite a few that disagree with this last part. IMO, the idea of "protectionism" is but a very small part of the whole experiment we call "America." The idea of America is something more to be added to and improved than something to be protected and conserved.

(Message edited by lmichigan on May 04, 2006)

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1679
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"American" isn't a defined ethnic group, language, or culture, rather it's an idea and ideal with fundamental values

Exactly.

quote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

I don't see where the "you are illegal, you have no rights" argument comes from. It is a fabrication.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 344
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You think it's tough trying to immigrate to America legally, try immigrating to Canda. It's tougher to get in there than it is here unless you are some extremely skilled individual like a doctor or an engineer, and yet I don't see anyone calling them "racist." Nor do I see anyone calling the countries of Western Europe "racist" even though most of them do not allow "anchor baby" citizenship, but we do (how very racist of us).

Nope, it's only America that is "racist." It's a phenomneon I like to call "American guilt." It's like white guilt, only for all Americans. For some reason, there is a glut of Americans who can't stand America and think we are the worst nation on earth, and I'm not talking about the phenomenon we are seeing with people opposing the President and the Iraq War. That's fine, but these self-loathing Americans have been around before Bush and they will be around long after. In their minds, nothing we do is ever right, we are always the bad guys, and we should feel ashamed for being a wealthy nation and a superpower.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 689
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people arriving through Ellis Island were not subject to quotas (except for old racist random rules, the same ones who allowed the changing names because the immigration guy couldn't pronounce them). Quotas didn't appear until the government began to worry about too many Jews fleeing Europe as the Nazis advanced. People got their citizenship because they lived here long enough, or because they joined the service and fought in wars.

What does your fantasy of America-hatin americans come from WarriorF, and what does it have to do with the subject?

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 442
Posted From: 68.248.42.169
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because I think this whole topic needs some humor (for a change)

I don't think us Americans have really thought about what we have at stake here:
http://illegalburritoswhat.ytm nd.com/

:-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 603
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let them eat pizzas!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1953
Posted From: 66.2.148.104
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good thoughts LMich...
Heard the head of the minutemen on the radio today denouncing the marchers, ALL of them, as "illegal immigrants".
That pretty much shows how much of the argument is thinly veiled racism. Heard another thought too, but I forgot from who...
"Doomed empires build walls around themselves"

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3639
Posted on Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan, we're dealing with America, here. If you want to make a diatribe about how parts of Europe and Canada, and such-and-such are racist/xenophobic, there is a new post bottom at the bottom of the forum. You're drifting painfully off subject.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 346
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Lmich, I'm not off-topic. I'm pointing out a double-standard that exists. Basically, it's OK for every other nation on earth to have secure borders and strict immigration laws (Mexico included), but it's wrong when we do it. Nobody, either in the rest of the world or here in America, ever criticizes another nation for their immigration laws, even the two nations that directly border us (Mexico and Canada). Nope, only the evil racist U.S., we are the only ones who are wrong, even though our immigration policies are among the fairest in the developed world. The mere fact that we allow citizenship to children of those who enter this nation illegally when most other developed nations do not is a fact worth mentioning, since many on here have called us a "racist" nation.

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 159.53.78.143
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the crux of this suspiciously recent (read: election year) hot topic more about "classism" and opportunity, than it really is about racism? I am all for border protection and standards for citizenship - as most people and countries around the world are in theory and/or practice - however, to Gmich99's and Ray's point re: minimum wage / living wage, if every AMERICAN, including immigrants had the same access to jobs / opportunities providing such wages, would this issue see the same level of attention / urgency this late in the game? Isn't this merely a byproduct of finding a scapegot during tough economic times? I think from a historic perspective we (especially in an industrial-based economy like Detroit) have heard far to often the "Those (fill in the epitaph) are taking all of our jobs." In my opinion - this is usually an ill-informed knee jerk reaction that creates "de facto" racism - but obscures the greater issue, which is class war fueled by opportunity or lack thereof. Just my 2 cents.

Goat

Post Number: 8418
Posted From: 70.53.98.74
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warriorfan, you Yanks always begrudge us with the fact our borders are "open". Especially on the front of terrorism, which we all know was a big fat lie to cover up the USA's own crappy border enforcement.
BTW: We have a lot of racism too, it's just that we don't wear it on our sleeve with pride.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.