Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The Humble Dandelion « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2564
Posted From: 66.167.58.162
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone else love dandelions? Anyone else despise the endless TV ads that lead to tons of poison being dumped into our soil and watershed to destroy these joyful flowers? Why? They flower, then disappear, no need for all the poison. They herald spring, brighten our days, are edible and can be used to make wine, and then they go away on their own.

Right now they are at their peak and swaths of color are spread over Belle Isle.

dandelion

Some people like fall color tours, I like spring dandelion displays. Does anyone esle have any favorite dandelion displays?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 638
Posted From: 69.246.74.205
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know someone who loves dandelions.
Stuart

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like 'em, they are such bright yellow! I hate that my neighbors spray chemicals on them, bad for the ground water, bad to breathe. I shut my house up tight the day Chemlawn comes through the neighborhood, what a stink!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 790
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be the nay-sayer and admit to despising their existence.

Corvax
Username: Corvax

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 64.7.12.10
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like 'em...doused with olive oil and lemon and salt...

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 618
Posted From: 194.138.39.54
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corvax, you beat me to it. Add a dash of pepper...

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 80.136.87.113
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We used to find the long stems, flatten them out, shred them a bit and then throw into a bucket of cold water- they would wiggle and then curl up into wierd patterns.

My grandma used to wax nostaglic over Dandelionwine- i´ve heard it mentioned but never actually seen or tasted it. How does one make such a brew?

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953, I got your back.

Sorry Lowell, I kill them with a vengeance.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1057
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jagger/Richards)

Prince or pauper, beggar man or thief
Play the game with ev'ry flow'r you bring
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

One o'clock, two o'clock, three o'clock, four o'clock chimes
Dandelions don't care about the time
Blow away dandelion, blow away dandelion

Tho' you're older now its just the same
You can play this dandelion game
When you're finished with your childlike prayers
Well, you know you should wear it

Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailors lives
Rich man, poor man, beautiful, daughters wives

Little girls, and boys come out to play
Bring your dandelions to blow away

compliments of pcworld.com

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8383
Posted From: 67.71.56.144
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that song was a bit of a rip off of early Pink Floyd (the days of Sid Barrett).

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2565
Posted From: 66.167.58.162
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"1953, I got your back.

Sorry Lowell, I kill them with a vengeance."

You would hate me for a neighbor. LOL

Sorry, I just can't get in Scott Lawn Corporation's dandelion genocide campaign [okay herbicide] of killing beauty and poisoning the world for their gain.

When I am governor, I will make them the protected state flower of Michigna and ban all poisoning. If you want to do it the old fashion way, pullling them out, go for it, but no poisoning.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 318
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, I agree I dislike using chemicals too. But's it's just SO DAMN EFFECTIVE! I looked into the organic weedkiller and it costed 4 times as much (with questionable results). With my corner double lot it just wasn't an option. BTW, I do make sure to sweep the stuff off the pavement.

The old lady across the ally was out in her yard the other day pulling them by hand. She said she couldn't afford to spray them and she's like 80 years old. Amazing (I hope I can do that when I'm 80). And the yard next to hers on the other side of a chainlink fence is a SEA OF DANEDLIONS. I don't think she has a chance. And they're just entering the puffball stage.

Your pic above is rather beautiful I have to admit. The problem is they crowd out all the grass. Lowell is your yard really a sea of dandelions? Your neighbors must hate you! ;)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 4.229.81.81
Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When I am governor, I will make them the protected state flower of Michigan

Lowell are you running this year? :-)
You got my vote.

Michikraut

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 80.136.88.143
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes- a nice lawn of grass has its appeal- but truly not an environmentally affordable existance. Lawn grass is a water hog in comparison to natural growth. There would be lot less water usage if people only had a small swath of grass (for kids playing,dogs, whatever) and do the rest of the lawn in beds of bushes, wild grasses, flowers, mulching, and trees. The added benifits would be quieter neighborhoods as trees and bushes absorb much more noise than endless flat lawns, better air due to released oxygen, improved water tables, water would actually seep down through root systems instead of being thirstily absorbed by grass, more birds and critters due to less poison and improved living conditions, and at least in my mind- better appearances. You´ve seen one green lawn, you´ve seen them all, sorta monotonous? A well landscape lawn with wide assortment of bushes(flowering, evergreen, shapes), trees, and flowers is like a well rounded orchestra- full of surprises and creates a symphany of color, scents, and density throughout the year. But then that is my personal opinion

Michikraut

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 80.136.88.143
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pardon the asking; but shouldn´t this thread be under the "non-detroit issues"?? As it really isn´t a truly Detroit issue- dandelions are quite common all across Michigan.

Though I will not question "lowells" decisions- he already won my vote.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3627
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like them if they didn't reak such havoc on my allergies (along with just about everything else that blooms in Spring). When I see them, I get depressed because I know I'll be sneezing in minutes.

Spaceman_spiff
Username: Spaceman_spiff

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 24.56.252.143
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I personally enjoy the sping dandelion bloom. Last weekend I was cramming for finals, hating on the world, looked out the window and saw a couple kids out with their dad. The kids were going nuts for dandelions, looks like they were playing some game involving running full tilt at a swath of 'em, staring intently and seriously for exactly 1/5 of a second then screaming with laughter and dashing off to another batch. Saw them pick a couple handfuls, walk over to another area and throw them at the grass, I got a good laugh at their antics. Then I studied some more Civil Procedure.
-Spiff

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A well landscape lawn with wide assortment of bushes(flowering, evergreen, shapes), trees, and flowers is like a well rounded orchestra- full of surprises and creates a symphany of color, scents, and density throughout the year. But then that is my personal opinion

Michikraut, this is precisely what my wife and I are working on. We've got several beds going strong and many more to work on. It's just that we started with nothing but grass, trash, leaves and weeds. NOTHING had been planted around the house in 20 years. Totally blank slate. We have one decent size area earmarked for lawn. The rest will be landscaped.

I think many people just have lawns and a few bushes because they either can't afford to landscape it with other material or don't have the ingenuity/connections/desire to find suitable transplants (Most of the stuff were putting in are transplants).

Oh and you're right Michikraut this isn't a Detroit issue --- wait a sec. Why do people in Detroit have such big lawns!!! ;)

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 567
Posted From: 67.114.23.202
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://winemaking.jackkeller.n et/dandelio.asp

Lowell: Put some of those dandelions to work!

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 238
Posted From: 136.1.1.154
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dandelions are not native to Michigan, or North America for that matter. They are native to the European continent originally, and came over with the migration. I've made gallons of beer, but never ventured into wine. I just may try making some dandelion wine, thanks for the recipes. My grandma told me they used to make it on the farm.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.