Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Ideas for my trip to the D?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Allman7
Username: Allman7

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 139.76.128.72
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright guys I'm heading up to the D again at the end of this month and I want to do some things I haven't before. Any ideas for out of the way stuff that most tourists (or at least those not enlightened enough to read this board)don't see? I plan on hitting pewabic pottery and a few other places but wanted some stuff to do that I might have though of to show of the city to my parents who have never seen much of what Detroit has to offer.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 68.40.65.66
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take them to some of the cool eating establishments/sports bars

Karmic Cafe for lunch, Agave for great mexican (and go to Mexicantown), Coach Insignia/Seldom Blue for fine dining at the top of the RenCen, Detroit Brewery for a beer, Hockeytown and lots of great places to watch the games

Check out some of the historic neighborhoods, you'll really be amazed at the homes

Take a drive though Indian Village (east of downtown on Jefferson), Palmer Woods (near Palmer Park 7 mile + woodward), Boston Edison (further south on Woodward), Sherwood Forest

Go to a game, and take a walk down the new RiverWalk and Lower Woodward...Campus Martius

Allman7
Username: Allman7

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 139.76.128.72
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be going to two of the Tigers Yankees games (dad's a fan of the evil empire) and going to Slows (have to eat there at least once).

Benjamin
Username: Benjamin

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 216.59.235.129
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two suggestions, one of which is really obvious, and the other not technically in town, but...
Visit the DIA.
Take them out to Cranbrook for an afternoon.

Beyond that random architecture-hunting is my thing (find a random corner, start walking in random directions, look at any interesting buildings you pass), but I'm not certain the average person will be quite as enthralled as I am.

Benjamin A. Vazquez, U.E.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 221
Posted From: 12.214.243.66
Posted on Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you haven't already, check out the Guardian Building on 500 Griswold, I took my inlaws there and they were totally awestruck by it's beauty. And we only checked out the lobby!!!! Don't forget to buy a t-shirt at Pure Detroit there. If you're taking the People Mover, the Guardian is hardly a minutes' walk from the Financial District stop.
here is a pic I took from my recent visit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.