Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Berry Gordy/Motown Museum Plans and Entertainment Complex « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 147.126.95.148
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently Berry is at MSU for convocation. I know the motown museum is up in the air, but does anyone know what the deal with plans for an "entertainment complex in the theater district" is?

"Whether that will mean an increased investment in Detroit remains unclear. Gordy declined to commit to a timetable for the long-discussed Motown museum and entertainment complex proposed for the theater district, saying only, "We're in the process," and noting that the project is "one of those things that keeps me busy and off TV."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006605050354

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7330
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you go ask Gordy what he has contributed or done for the city since he took Motown to LA.

Last time Gordy really contributed anything positive to the city was the early 70s, before he left.

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 147
Posted From: 207.232.204.254
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll believe it when I see it. I ain't holding my breath.

I still blame Diana Ross. She is to Berry Gordy what Yoko Ono was to John Lennon. He moved the company there because she wanted a movie career.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 296
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't see this Motown Theater happening. I'm sorry, at least not anytime in the near future.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 261
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown can just rent the Fox (per event), like they did in the 60's.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3778
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the difference between Barry Gordy and Fords, GM, Chryslers, Parke Davis, Detroit News, American Motors, The Macabbes, and the airport? They all went suburban or moved way away. That's Detroit's industrial legacy. They took and left.

jjaba.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2061
Posted From: 4.229.150.85
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that the Tuller/United Artists block would be an ideal place for a Motown Museum. Build the museum on the Tuller portion... do it vertical (like the Guggenheim in NYC) with folks taking an elevator to the top and spiraling down the exhibit gallery. The UA Building could become a "Motown Center Apartments", and the UA Theatre could become the "Motown Center for the Performing Arts".

Building performing arts space from scratch is very expensive.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 459
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba..

You are right.. the industries left and we can't move on for some reason. We are a city stuck in the past.

It's important to stay rooted but we can't keep bitchin' and moanin' about who did what and how they hurt us, it is well known what went on. :-D

It would be great to turn these gaps and hole left by our industry leaders into modern and viable businesses, but that won't happen as long as we keep crying foul play.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1604
Posted From: 69.209.158.194
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, there is development on the Statler site. It appears that a parking lot is going up. Nothing substantial will go on the Statler site until that small building next to it is removed.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1053
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nothing substantial will go on the Statler site until that small building next to it is removed."

I don't believe that for a minute. There's plenty of open space on the GCP end. Development doesn't always need an entire city block to happen. Not unless you're putting up a Wal-Mart or a Circuit City.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2064
Posted From: 4.229.24.194
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of that small building (AAA Building), Michigan Building owner Anthony Pieroni recently chimed in on this forum and stated that if some developments were planned for the Statler block, that he would be willing to work with the developers (he would prefer to be a part of the development).

And like he stated, it would be in his own best interest to NOT be a stumbling block for that development, since it would positively impact the value of the Michigan Building.

But until that happens, he will continue with his litigation against the group that demo'ed the Statler, since they did do significant damage to his AAA Building (even though it was empty, he still had a paying leasee in AAA).

Jjaba

Post Number: 3779
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So who owns the Donovan Bldg. site now?
Obviously, Motown Records wouldn't invest in that site. They let the bldg. be demoed in grande Detroit style.

jjaba.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 617
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What's the difference between Barry Gordy and Fords, GM, Chryslers, Parke Davis, Detroit News, American Motors, The Macabbes, and the airport? They all went suburban or moved way away. That's Detroit's industrial legacy. They took and left.

How did the Detroit News and GM make that list?

Jjaba

Post Number: 3789
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GM reference was to the constant disinvestment by GM in factories in Detroit, Detroit area, Flint, Kalamazoo, etc. Believe it of not, GM once made cars, car parts, car bodies, AND had offices in Detroit. (jjaba knows, Poletown makes cars.)

The Detroit News plant moved to 16 Mile Road in Yeminsville decades ago. That's what was meant.

Thanks for keeping jjaba honest though.

jjaba, remembering the Fleetwood plant on Fort Street.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.