Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Brendan Benson? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 984
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stumbled across that new Raconteurs song and looked more into it. Made up of 4 dudes, Jack White, Brendan Benson, Jack Lawrence, and Patrick Keeler.

Apparently Jack White and Brendan Benson got together and recorded this first song in Benson's Detroit home on E grand Blvd. Then they got together with the other two guys and formed the Raconteurs.

I've never heard of Benson, and am curious if any here are familiar with his stuff. I googled his name and got his website, as well as phone number and address. Seems he isn't famous enough to be unlisted. Lives near Kercheval and E Grand Blvd just north of Belle Isle.

I would imagine that he bailed Detroit for Nashville along with White and the other two. Or is he a Detroit fixture? Did he grow up in the D?

Just kinda curious.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 4.229.12.88
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Did he grow up in the D?

Yes, he used to work at Off the Record in Royal Oak in the late '80s.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2510
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't they also do a huge article on him in the Metro Times a few years back as well?

Jaredrich
Username: Jaredrich

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 69.39.74.130
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he plays poppy rock stuff and is much bigger in the UK than in the US, which seems to be the norm for most Detroit rockers. I believe he taught Jack White how to reupholster furniture which led to their relationship musically and as friends.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 276
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was born and raised here but moved to LA in the mid 90's and got a recording contract. His album failed and he movd back and met Jack and the 2 make music together.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 415
Posted From: 69.209.187.220
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benson, "My Life in The D" Lyrics

My life in the D is a tragicomedy
A poetic verse
It's voodoo some say black magic ettouffe
A dead man's curse
It's just like the Egyptian tombs
Tunnels leading to empty rooms
Skeptics think it's a doctored photo
Of a U.F.O
You're wasting your breath on life after death
Coz I'm almost sure
If hell does exist than the Devil's a scientist
Finding a cure
It's life microscopic size
Unseen by the naked eye
The answer's encoded with ink
That's invisible
When God made the earth and saw his net worth
He posed for a shot
And life in the D is what was handed to me
And that's what I've got
It's all just a hologram
Locked in a vault it's a cryptogram
A lie on the Polygraph test
It's detectable

deep...
Benson really does little to impress me.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 69.14.26.135
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brendan Bemson has some great albums. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I heard all of the Raconteurs moved to Nashville.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1124
Posted From: 69.220.224.184
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brendon Benson has an excellent melodic sensibility.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 68.41.46.226
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=7450

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brendon was a native detroiter, but has moved out twice... the other two members of the raconteurs of which you speak are two members of the greenhorns who are, if memory serves me correctly, from ohio. the raconteurs seem to be a fun band... but are NOT a case of "the sum being greater than the parts" what i've heard so far is just catchy pop hard rock... nothing close to the white stripes, greenhorns, or even brendan's best stuff... worth checking out... but nothing amazing... try www.theraconteurs.com it's a pretty nifty retrofitted website, and if you go to the media section there is a video and you can hear two songs. .andy.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 4.229.156.43
Posted on Saturday, May 06, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go to iTunes before Tuesday-- the Raconteurs' "Steady As She Goes" is their free download single of the week.

Brendan Benson worked at Off the Record in the late 1980s? I probably saw him there a zillion times, but I'm just not making the connection. I guess I'd have to see a picture of what he looked like back then.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1314
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenniferl:

Try doing a Google Image search on Brendan Benson. Over 2400 hits...maybe one will ring a bell with his Off the Record 80s look.

While perusing the photos, I did see one of our own Forumers who played drums on Brendan's tour last year...but I'll let him chime in.....

Hoog
Username: Hoog

Post Number: 618
Posted From: 68.84.176.170
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tip, Jenniferl. Just downloaded it. It is the acoustic version, though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.