Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Animal Planet in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 536
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I don't usually watch the Animal Planet channel, last night's surfing happened to end up there while the "Animal Cops -- Detroit" was showing. For those not familiar with it, that show follows the Michigan Humane Society workers dealing with abused animals.

Well, that topic is sad and disturbing enough, but what really bothered me -- sitting 2K miles away -- were the street scenes in Detroit. They were so sad....more weedy vacant lots than homes, and homes that looked third world.

Just felt motivated enough in watching it to post this note that those views of the old home area depressed me greatly. Somehow it was even sadder than touring the ruins on DetroitYes.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 312
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The show does give you a real idea of the overall general condition of Detroit neighborhoods. I watch it all the time and often spot things and places I drive by on a regular basis.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7341
Posted From: 205.158.96.73
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I would be willing to guess that dog fighting, animal abuse cases, etc are typically in the poorest areas of the city.

Same with Animal Cops: Houston. Doesn't represent Houston too well but animal much of this is probably more prominent in the poorest areas of cities.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 69.212.32.139
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watch that show often.
It may not be the best impression of Detroit, but its real.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 538
Posted From: 68.35.85.184
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you Ray, frequently watching that show and amazed by the sights of my home town. Many of the programs I've seen were filmed 2-4 years ago and I wonder if anything is appreciably different today.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2491
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The city seems like a tough place for neglected animals. I often wonder how the strays keep from cutting their feet on the broken glass and discarded scrap in the grassy fields. How many poison themselves drinking from puddles contaminated with toxins? How many are beaten by mischievous kids or killed in training for dog fights?

In March, from the service drive, I watched a miniature Pincer run down an entrance ramp on to I-94. He ran along the shoulder, then reversed course and started back up the entrance ramp. By then I had backed up and started down the ramp to get him, but when I saw him coming my way, I pulled over and tried to lure him back up the ramp to me. Unfortunately he didn't trust me and ran back down the ramp, this time into rush hour traffic. He made it to the far left lane before a car ran over him, but he managed to avoid the tires. Traffic was slowing to a crawl, so I ran out to get him. He appeared to be in good shape except for a cut on his head. I put him in my car and drove to an animal hospital, but the vet diagnosed him with a broken back and euthanized him. At least he was spared the inhumanity of being squished under an 18-wheeler.

(Message edited by MikeM on May 07, 2006)

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 143
Posted From: 68.58.211.179
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard many times that Detroit has one of the worst dog fighting rings in the country.

I remember driving down I-75 on my way to Opening Day 2 years ago and seeing 4 dogs walking together down the side of the road. There are so many strays in the city (and in many other big cities no doubt) that occasionally they form packs like they would in the wild. I never would have fully believed it until I saw it for myself.

I supposes its not unlike trees growing out of abandoned buildings - nature picking up where civilization left...

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 69.242.218.76
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, thank you for sharing the incident with the dog. You are a good man. When I started to write this post, I first wrote, "You are a good Detroiter..." But then I realized that I have no idea whether you actually live in Detroit or not. Nor do I know your age, nor your race, nor your education. All I really know is that you write informative, well written posts. And today, I know you are a good and kind person.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 280
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were a few carcases on 94 by the City Airport exit. I think the bones are still there from one

Ray1936

Post Number: 537
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess many forumers know I'm retired from the DPD after 30 years. Brief thought: In that time, I fired my revolver just twice, and both were to "dispatch" badly mangled dogs. One was on the Lodge around Davison; the other around John R. and 7 mile. Both were beyond repair and in agony after getting nailed in traffic, so I took the necessary action. I remember saying to both of them, "goodbye, old guy" as I did the thing.

I don't feel bad about it, it was the right thing. But I remember both of those mutts. Hope I see 'em again some day.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 109
Posted From: 69.14.162.54
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mikem- you just made my heart hurt !

and people like you are amazing. i have a little dog and i would die if anything happened to him.

does anyone here volunteer at the humane society ?

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother, who lives on the Detroit side of Eight Mile Road, recently bought a rescued Humane Society dog from the inner streets of the city. I have to say it is one of the kindest dogs I have ever met, but its health was initially very poor.
MCM 2026 and I looked into buying some ghetto property that probably features some homeless mutts for the very low rate of a couple hundred bucks or so, but upon arriving at the abandoned property were confronted by some seemingly angry neighbors. We are still looking at other properties...

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4857
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

MCM 2026 and I looked into buying some ghetto property that probably features some homeless mutts for the very low rate of a couple hundred bucks or so, but upon arriving at the abandoned property were confronted by some seemingly angry neighbors. We are still looking at other properties...

For what purpose?

Stipes
Username: Stipes

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I enjoy that show and the people with the MHS staff is the geatest!! Please dont feel like it shows bad scenes of Detroit,,cause I looked in the backgrounds and if you lived in another city it's the same in alot of places....Still,,shows alot of beautiful background scenes as well......You all should be so proud of the service the MHS is doing and it shows so much on AP....Peace and love...

Ray1936

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I agree, Stipes. Every city has its uglies. Just seemed like most of the shots in that segment were filmed in nastyland.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 336
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I watched the show a couple times when I had cable a while back. The part at the end where they show dogs being adopted by families in the city paints a nice picture of the good people in the city. I recall a young black couple adopting a dog, it showed their nicely kept brick house, I think it was somewhere on outer drive or in east english village. The show isn't all bad. The couple shows I watched ended on a good note.

On the pack of while dogs topic, there are many strays in the city but often they are more afraid of you than you are of them. They go down my alley sometimes and when they see me they usually trounce out of sight.

I think most of the problem is that many city residents don't fix their dogs. Many people have asked to breed their dog with mine and are shocked when I say he's fixed. They usually ask me,"why would you do that???"

The Eastsidedog ain't havin' no puppies!

(Message edited by eastsidedog on May 09, 2006)

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_aram, why wouldn't we? Where else can you be a property owner for a few bucks. Just think if someone started buying all of the lots that were fifty dollars and accumulated hundreds or thousands of acres or real estate. For a minimal investment, one could hold onto land that may be prosperous in years to come. Anyway, we're seniors in high school, we just wanted to be true Detroiters that owned a piece of the city.

The_aram

Post Number: 4860
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you'd be a slumlord. Owning property with no intention of doing anything with it. I mean, more power to you, but pardon me if I find it a little condescending that you buy what you call "ghetto property" and sit on it. You're not solving the problem- you're perpetuating it. Sure, go ahead and pat yourselves on the back for being "true Detroiters," but you're still hoofing it back to Brighton at the end of the day when you pack up your lawn chairs and bid adieu to your very own piece of the "ghetto."

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

true detroiters would live there....

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 71.227.26.9
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deputy_mayor_2026 -

Are there really lots available in the city for a few hundred bucks? What you are saying makes sense. I guess you would have to pay the taxes on the land, but they aren't making any more land so you would think the price would go up at some point!

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perfectgentleman-

there are over 40,000 abandoned city owned lots, some with starting prices of only $50

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa! Who said we'd be sitting in Brighton? We are here because of our parents. We both plan on residing in Detroit. I never said that nothing would be done with the properties. Even so, if the existing buildings were taken down and left as lots, it would still be better than homes falling apart.

The_aram

Post Number: 4861
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

true detroiters would live there....

The land your "Deputy" seems to be describing are empty. Unless you plan on pitching a tent and starting a garbage can fire... Who's bringing the marshmallows and the guitar for the old-fashioned "ghetto property" singalong?

Also, define "true Detroiter."

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 790
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the land isnt empty...

and you cant define a true detroiter.

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are a bit hostile Aram. What is your problem with young adults caring about Detroit? You seem to automatically assume we like the city for the wrong reasons, and are waiting to jump all over us at any possible opportunity.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont you know DM2026, the rules are if you don't live south of 8 mile you're an outsider!

"sarcastic"

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 241
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A "slumlord" and an investor are two different things . Chances are there is a near zero market for the lots you purchased (why else would they be practically giving them away. If you maintain them and pay the taxes; the city, the neighborhood and you can benefeit (assuming the market improves). If they remain vacant, trash filled city lots no one benefits.

The_aram

Post Number: 4863
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But would it be reasonable to assume that two college students would be able to maintain and support their empire of "ghetto property"? It still doesn't solve anything. Meanwhile these guys are patting themselves on the back for being "true Detroiters," yet their lots are still as vacant as ever, and they still have no means to do anything more with them besides have them remain vacant. How are they any better than the folks people love to criticize here on the Forum who own prominent buildings and sit on them as they rot, because they lack the means to renovate their holdings? It's the same thing. It's sitting on property you have little intention of doing anything with while you "wait for the market to improve."

More power to 'em for wanting to invest in the city, but I don't see how buying up tons of fire-sale weed-covered lots is going to help anything but their egos.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ARAM, give these kids a break. I suppose you were so much wiser at 18!!! They are at least thinking of the problem and seeking solutions. Detroit needs more young people like that.

Jt1

Post Number: 7373
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say buy the lots but you owe it to the community to keep them clean. If a trash filled lot is bought and then kept up it is a little better.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 68.41.222.28
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aram keeps complaining about how these guys arent contributing anything to the city by buying these lots but what he failed to realize is that he himself isnt contributing anything to this forum by bitching about everything to everyone.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8437
Posted From: 70.53.96.156
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thnk Aram is upset that he was continually beaten upon when he arrived here and now wants to dish the same schitt out to others.

Aram, if these people buy these lots, pay the taxes and keep them clean and cut what's the harm? The city gets their taxes, the neighbourhood looks a little better. I fail to see how this could be compared to a slumlord?

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 791
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

first of all aram, we were not buiding an "empire of ghetto property." We were looking to purchase a SINGLE lot, with an abandonded structure...from that point we would clean up the filthy mess, keep the lawn maintained, and clear the lot for future investment (by ourselves or another buyer).

Either way, abandoned land in the heart of a dirty neighborhood would have been cleaned up, the city would recieve the $ from the sale of the property and the taxes... dont compare me to a slumlord or an egotistical bastard.

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are not ego hungry. We do not want to pat ourselves on the back. I was just joking about the "True Detroiters." We just wanted to improve a property and feel invested in the city. If you are so much smarter than us, then why haven't you done something significant to better Detroit? I am interested to hear if you have...

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram is smarter than you guys, as evidenced by his college choice.

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is his college choice?

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THE University of Michigan

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha. That happens to be where I am enrolled, so I don't get where you are going with that.

Tayshaun22

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How will your tag team operate if MCM is going to MSU?

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are not operating anything. We are just friends.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 350
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys would have been better off putting that few hundred bucks in the bank or investing it. Then wait until you graduate from college and get a steady job, save some more, and get a house or a loft or a condo in Detroit. Buying an abandoned lot is not a good way to make money, and there are better ways to help the city than just throwing your money away. I've yet to meet a college student who has money to burn on vacant lots.

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We never actually went through with it yet, and we are planning on eventually buying a condo or loft in Detroit. I have no serious hope to reap financial gains from the property. Sometimes when you have been excluded from something your whole life, you just want a piece of it. Just accept the fact and get over it people. There is no need to over analyze high school kids buying a vacant lot in the outskirts of Detroit!

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 351
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you really want to contribute to the city, have you ever considered attending Wayne State University or University of Detroit Mercy? You would be pouring countless thousands of dollars into the city and you could even live here in affordable student housing on or off-campus. No offense, but you guys sound very naive. You are purposely spending money on land that you realize you have little to no chance of recouping, all when you are about to enter college? You guys must be very rich! It kind of sounds like you are more concerned with "owning" a piece of Detroit simply for the bragging rights, so you can call yourself a "Detroiter" when you meet other people in the burbs, maybe even get some "street cred" in your subdivision. I may be wrong, but that's the sense I am getting from your posts. You said that owning a lot would make you a "true Detroiter" and you have admitted that this is not about investments. But hey, something is better than nothing, if you guys want to buy a lot and keep it clean and call yourselves Detroiters then by all means do so. It's very adorable actually, like when a little kid opens up a lemonade stand. Good luck with your future endeavors guys.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 69.208.117.53
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they're young, they haven't really thought this out much beyond "It would be so cool to own property in Detroit!" Good for them, but like you said there are much better ways to pour their money into the city.
Yeah its naive, but how many 18 year olds aren't naive? Think about all the brilliant ideas you had at that age!
At least they're thinking of ways to help the city instead of most kids their age. But they do need to think this one out a bit more.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tayshaun22--Good job introducing a non-sequitur into the discussion

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 792
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well this thread and our idea has been completely distorted. Yes, I planned on attending UDM, however, my parents who would be funding a large portion of my education absolutely refused because of Detroit's reputation. I plan on attending pre-law at MSU and then transferring to UDM to complete my degree.

In regards to those telling me how to contribute to the city, I do. I have volunteered in the city, donated to political campaigns and non-profit organizations, spent much of my own personal income on food, entertainment, shopping, parking, etc, and I have encouraged and been successful at getting many others to give Detroit a shot and visit the place. I am not as naive as you all seem to think.

Splitting a couple hundred dollar property is not a large amount of money in the grand scheme of things....for those suggesting that I dont know anything about finances and what not, I have a bank account, I own stocks, I have a job and as far as college is concerned I have scholarships as well.

Why DM2026 called it being a true detroiter, I dont know. I dont get street cred in Brighton by saying that I like Detroit. If anything I get laughed at and made fun of. So, no, it is not about my ego or earning street cred. The owning a property idea never panned out, but it was seen as a way to have a little fun, make a little investment, and clean up a little part of detroit. Thats it.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 67.38.87.62
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCM2026 & DM2026....

Do not let any mean spirited ( perhaps jealous )
people discourage you from pursuing your dreams, no matter what they are, or what the reasons for them.

Get your education from whomever has the best programs for YOU, and share your obvious love for the city how and when you can.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks,

thnk2mch...

thats the plan

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 344
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as you make it safe and cut the grass, then whatever. But if someone comes along wanting to develop it please don't ask for an outrageous price. There plenty of assholes like that in the city already, holding things back.

Just don't forget about that lot while you're off at school having a good time.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 222
Posted From: 69.208.117.53
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor2026....my parents once felt the same way about Detroit, but since I've moved down here I've changed their perceptions greatly! Have you tried touring the campuses with them at all? That sucks that they won't allow you to go where you want to go.
Wayne State is highly underrated. Its the 4th school I've gone to in MI, and its been the best fit for me.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 346
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCM2026, wow you couldn't go to school in the D because your parents were too scared of Detroit? UDM was eliminated because it's in Detroit!!!! WTF?! The suburban fear is unbelievable!!

Eastsidedog, Wayne State grad all the way. And I'm doin fine!

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I guarantee that for $200-500, some work on craig's list, and some manual labor, one could make a hell of a community park. Seriously. if you got the community's help and got rid of the structure... planted some perennial seeds around the edges, put up a basketball hoop, maybe a decorative hedge... it would be sweet... in fact, if you did this and wanted some help, i'd volunteer... and i'd ball with you after it was finished... oh how I like dreaming...

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 794
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog,

That was exactly the reason. It is disgusting, and things certainly havent been the same since they decided to count out UDM with allowing debate. I have showed them around downtown a little bit, but the remark is usually something like, "Well this is one small area in detroit that is nice," or "well Chicago's is better," or something to that effect. You have no idea how much it pisses me off!! They will have to get used to it when I move there when I am done with MSU though.

and, of course, if someone came along with a plan to develop the neighborhood, I would hand it over to them for next to nothing...hell maybe for nothing..Id be GLAD to see that happen!

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCM2026, sounds like you've got the right idea.

Just remember to cut that grass every two weeks!

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 68.61.11.146
Posted on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The show is taped a couple of years ago. The city has improved since it was taped.

Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me clarify, the "true Detroiter" comment was not a serious notion that I thought buying some ghetto property would transfrom me into a Motor City dweller. I think it was taken the worng way, exaggerated, and overstated. I think sometimes people on this board can be way too serious.

Like MCM said, we have vlounteered cleaning up the city multiple times and have taken other kids from our high school to Detorit on occassions that by now number near the hundreds (which was aided by two season ticket packages). As for passing up Wayne State or UDM, my career of choice at this point in life is a Marine officer. U of M is the only school in the state to have NROTC programs.

We are not naive, although, we are less cynical than most adults. Yes, it is exciting for a young adult to own property in the city that they love. Do not misinterpret this as ignorance or a lack of understanding of the world.

I can't believe we have had this much commentary on a few high school kids wanting to buy, fix up, and maintain a property that no one cares about now. There are much more pressing issues concerning Detroit; issues that are more worthy of our time than this!

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Certainly correct, Deputy. Stay with what you believe in. Many people will try to discolor your thoughts but you are headed in the right direction, IMO. Shrug it off ...

Jt1

Post Number: 7378
Posted From: 4.229.99.126
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCM and deputy

Do a search on 'Detroit' in real estate on e-bay. There are currently three lots for sale. One will end soon and is at $1000. The other two are around $100.

I was going to check to see wht is listed on the city website but it is down. Both of the plots with days left are on Yacama (west of Woodward and North of 7 Mile)

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 158.229.218.204
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DM2026, I'm an older than dirt female, at least in an 18 year olds eyes ;) , and I happen to think you should dream on, follow those dreams, turn them into plans and actions. Don't let any of these old fuddy duddies, either old in chronicalogical years or mentality, discourage you. Go for it!! And, please, for the sake of Detroit, keep coming up with ideas. A thousand more like you would do Detroit more good than anything else the naysayers can propose.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.