Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Even Lions Need a Day Off « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 144.147.1.66
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like things are getting too hard in Allen Park...

"By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
May 7, 2006

DETROIT – The NFL has banned Detroit Lions players from working out Monday and Tuesday at the team's practice facility.

This is major news. Judging by their almost 50 years of futility, who knew the Lions worked out at all, let alone that the franchise had an actual building dedicated to practice?

But it's true. The Lions do have a plush, modern practice facility, where players routinely break a sweat. And not just practicing anything, but practicing actual football plays. Seriously.

In fact, according to a union grievance, since hard-nosed coach Rod Marinelli took over in January, the players have been forced to practice too hard.

The NFL Players Association and the NFL Management Council in a joint statement Friday agreed that the Lions broke rules involving offseason activities and punished the team by prohibiting two days of supervised workouts.

Booth Newspapers originally reported that players were upset that April minicamp drills – where "contact work or use of pads" is not allowed – were too physical.

"The players were upset at the high intensity and aggressiveness demanded in the team drills and believed the coaching staff was going over the line," Tom Kowalski reported, citing a source.

And so, the players complained, the union and the league agreed and now they get two days off, with pay."

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 493
Posted From: 69.209.179.29
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't we all wish we could do the same in our own jobs ? Let's just complain about being given too many projects and too short of a deadline, let's just complain that we're working long hours and we're overwhelmed by too many voicemails/e-mails or too many difficult clients to deal with.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1125
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... imagine owning your own business... where there truely IS no one to make sure that you are not overworked or that your workload stays managable..... and most business owners dont make the mega millions that these guys are raking in...

bullshit..

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2522
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think part of the blame is with the Lions in not knowing that the players aren't allowed to work out in pads this early. Why take a chance of the league coming down and imposing this penalty? Surely there was someone within the upper brass that knew this was a no-no.

Now granted the players collectively (that way no one is singled out as being a slacker or wimp) should've gone to the management and said that was an infraction and have both sides cooperating within the by-laws laid out in previous agreements.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1908
Posted From: 24.98.116.13
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This shows that there is still (or has been all along) a major element of pussification in that club. Just a quick way of identifying it and understanding where you stand. The more I learn about this coaching staff, the more I like what I see.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 296
Posted From: 69.242.213.242
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And you wonder why the Lions will always suck? I like how they get paid millions to be athletes and complain they are being worked too hard. Meanwhile Marines and soldiers are making 25K a year working holes in their feet between dodging bullets.

The NFL makes me absolutely sick. This is just another reason why I don't watch the games. I'll stick to college football.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2633
Posted From: 129.105.35.103
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No wonder the Lions suffered so many injuries during the season. Yay NFL management!q

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 755
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

No wonder the Lions suffered so many injuries during the season. Yay NFL management!q

please, coach, don't whack me with that pillow! my career is on the line!

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 282
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another reason why they are going to lose this season. You don't see the Pistons complaining about to much work. These guys are a friggin joke. Makes me sick. I can see those three pussy wide recievers crying now. You can cry when you do something noteable! Why are we stuck with such a joke for a football club. Ha with all that said, i have season tix so..... Time to Restore the Roar!

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 758
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

poll:

who narked?

joey? charles rodgers? mike williams? roy williams? dre bly?

josh mccown???

jeff garcia's girlfriend???

Chitaku

Post Number: 283
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any of those are good suspects. Is Joey even practicing with the team?

Smogboy

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm torn on this topic.

Part of me wants to curse at the players because they've been such wimps about this. How dare those milionaire guys bitch & moan about a little bit more hard work and especially when they haven't won diddley squat in what seems like forever!

Then another part of me wants to pimp slap Lions management for being so stupid in pushing these guys this hard when they know it's against NFL rules for mini-camps.

But realistically I wanna knock both sides' heads in for being stupid. The players AND the management need to work together on this. They realistically want the same thing so why not figure out a diplomatic way of resolving this situation as opposed to having to call in the NFL brass? First the management is wrong but the second mistake was for whomever to narc out the Lions. Again, I think the ideal situation would've been for the team collectively to go up to the Rod Marinelli or Matt Millen and aired their grievances. It should and probably would've ended right there.

Instead BOTH sides are looking kinda stupid right now- with probably a little more public sentiment favoring the coaches for wanting to work the team harder.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1067
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember when Shaun Rogers was called out in mini-camp because he supposedly didn't run out some sprints ? I heard that didn't ago down the way the Press reported.
The first sprint, Rogers walked in from the 5 yard line. The coaches made the whole group do it again. Rogers again stopped at the 5 and walked in. They brought the whole group back again. This time Rogers not only stopped at the 5, he stopped, turned to the coaches, and folded his arms and stared at them. Instead of forcing a confrontation, the coaches moved on to another drill.
I'm very skeptical of this coach. He was hired by a moron who thinks good discipline is having your hand burned on a stove.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3254
Posted From: 68.79.114.44
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another example of a union only looking out for itself and keeping its members over-paid without requiring productivity. :-)

Bongman

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...the NFL is filled with owner loyalty.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 504
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So much for that turnaround season. Think the bond between players/coaches is broken now? In May? Oh yeah... go lions

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1329
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, there were no wearing pads. The rumor is someone did not like that Martz called them back onto the field for a walk thru during dinner becuase they did not grasp the days teachings.

Second, This is a common occurance and it happens every year.

Third, that coach Bongman, was not hired by Millen. It was the DC hired by the HC.

Bongman

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, a grievance was filed. Grievances are filed because the provisions of a mutually agreed to contract were violated.

Secondly, that grievance was won.

Third, restitiution was awarded.

This has happened, but it is not a common occurance. It doesn't matter what the profession, it is the responsibility of the Manager to understand a contract and abide by it's guidelines.

Chitaku

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Either way puuuuuuuuuuuuussies! I mean these guys get paid to do nothing else. 3-13

Border5150
Username: Border5150

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 207.232.204.254
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think labor unions are an important thing, but c'mon. It's not like these guys dig ditches for 20 hours a day for $.10 an hour or anything.

A lot of the feelings about this are a result of the way in which the story was printed. Essentially, this writer said that the wussy Lions are complaining about too many practices.

Had he said that "union rules state this and that..." this story would have garnered absolutely no attention whatsoever.

3-13 is probably a good prediction...

(Message edited by border5150 on May 08, 2006)

Chitaku

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If these guys were winners it would be different. when you lose, maybe a swift kick in the ass is needed?

_sj_

Post Number: 1330
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a common occurance? Lions, Giants, Jaguars, Redskins, Eagles. All off the top of my head have filed these grieveances. They are nothing new.

BTW, what restitutiion? All this did was hurt the players who can not work out at the team facilities until Thursday.

Bongman

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, and Andre Reed had loyalty to the Bills. Their reward was to all be cut on the same day. There is no loyalty in the NFL. It is a money-making business for players and owners. One injury from an illegal practice could mean your career, and a serious loss of future income.

It wasn't me booing Barry Sanders when he chose to retire on his terms. Were you booing ? Did you call him a player that didn't care about the team ? Save the rah rah crap for little league.

Chitaku

Post Number: 295
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barry played with all the heart in the world on a third class organization. I understood where he was coming from.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1133
Posted From: 63.41.8.211
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't the Loins already take Sundays off during the season?

Bongman

Post Number: 1073
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had to appreciate the article about Millen still trying to shop Harrington on draft day. I bet the other GMs around the league got quite a chuckle amongst themselves about the whole episode. IS there a Lion fan in the world who didn't/doesn't know how the Harrington deal was going to play out by last Christmas ? Yet here was Mike Ohara actually mentioning that the Lions were looking to get draft picks....that's plural !! ...in return for Joey. The comedy continues....and mark my word, Marinelli is a moron. The players he signed that played for him in the past don't belong in the NFL...they are nothing more than locker room snitches.

_sj_

Post Number: 1331
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, bro you should be in the NFL with all that so called knowledge you have.

Christ, nothing like spouting off on a message board that you are a genius and everyone else is a moron.

The only ones laughing are the people around the nation everytime some idiot fan pops up with a Fire Millen sign. There is a reason Detroit sport fans are some of the most hated in all of sports.

Bongman

Post Number: 1074
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, bro you should be in the NFL with all that so called knowledge you have.
------------------------------ -----------------
You booed him didn't you sj ? Sounds like you are taking offense because I'm pointing out the obvious. This isn't genius stuff here....it's Lion talk ! Where have you been for 50 years ? Not still buying tickets to the only game in town I hope.

_sj_

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, no I didn't. Those people are fanatics. Booing an athlete becuase he retires or taking place in fan marched is over the edge.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 868
Posted From: 70.88.106.173
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya'll tripp'n__ ya'll know damn well if your director, boss, or whatever, ask you to do something outside of your routine 'job description', you would be furious !!__ So please.

If you're a computer programmer and all of a sudden, was ask to clean the toilets at the end of the day, would you?

Then too, I hate when people bring the old "those guys make millions" argument___ remember you can't do what they do on that level, even if you practiced everyday.

super d(motordetroit)

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 850
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll have to excuse super d. After all, how often does an idiot come up with a good analogy anyway?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8428
Posted From: 70.53.96.156
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the analogy sucks. Most of those players can't do what many white collar (and blue collar for that matter) professionals do either. So what does that have to do with the price of milk? Nothing, just like his sad analogy.

Darwinism

Post Number: 494
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Computer programmer ... cleaning toilets.

Football player ... practising drills.

Perhaps my IQ is lower than some of you, but I sure don't see a parallel.

Now, if the analogy were;

Computer programmer ... writing codes.

Football player ... running drills.

BINGO !

Bongman

Post Number: 1075
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Super d !

A paid day off from the man is always a good thing....Doesn't matter what you make.

Darwinism

Post Number: 495
Posted From: 69.209.164.233
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/ne ws?slug=dw-lions050706&prov=yh oo&type=lgns

I am putting the link above so that y'all can read the ENTIRE write-up.

quote:

What kind of abuse could Marinelli possibly have subjected the players? Lifting weights at an asbestos factory? Running sprints in a rickety mine shaft? Listening to recordings of Joey Harrington playing the piano?

No one is saying for sure, but apparently blocking and tackling is now out of the question. What a surprise these guys average four wins a season.

It would be understandable if the NFL came in and punished the Lions for full-contact practices outside of the designated time, because, even for them, it would be a competitive advantage (hold the laughter).

Blocking and tackling is now out of the question?? Goodness gracious, even a JV team would laugh at the Lions. Unbelievable.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10046
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all my years of watching the Lions I have never been as upset about anything more than what I just read. If this turns out to be yet another lackluster season, I may just tell them to keep their tickets next year. This is truly fuckin' rock bottom pathetic. A football team complaining about practice being too physical?

They should take a survey of all the players who feel they are being over worked, then give them their pink slips and show them the door.

Darwinism

Post Number: 496
Posted From: 69.209.164.233
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport: I am with you on this. If running, catching, blocking, tackling and jumping are considered too physical, I suggest they find a new profession. Management should clean house and send a few of these unwilling pros packing.

Eastside

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Marinelli is savy. I believe he set this situation up and expected some kind of mini revolt...I think he coveted the revolt.
Why?
Because those few who revolted have drawn the scorn of the majority who are sick of losing and are standing behind Marinelli...they have no choice but to get on board or jump ship. This was a BIG first step to bring accoutability into the lockerroom...a big first step towards making players accoutable to each other.
I also love that Marinelli was determined to set a tone from day one, even if it meant breaking the rules...he knew exactly what he was doing, thats why the coaching staff did not allow the media in to view practice on the days in question.

Chitaku

Post Number: 299
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess a bunch of players showed up today not knowing about the closing. Sounds like some of the older gaurd (pussies) may have to go.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2543
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if some coveted player (not that there are that many of them on this team) had gotten hurt at one of these strenuous mini camp sessions due to the coaching staff being too hard on them this early in the season, how would we be reacting to the situation?

I know that nowadays most of the players workout year round but again this is a situation where both sides need to come to terms with what happened and not quibble any more.

Players- so you don't have use of the exercise facility for two days. Big deal-- still go bust ass on your own and work out somewhere else. It's not a day off in the traditional sense for them; they still have to prepare for the upcoming camp.

Management- okay you've gone and pissed off some of the players. Now ease off and play fair with them. You've made your point that it's a different vibe here and you're willing to bend some rules to win. When the players come back to working out, be professionals about it and move on.

Eastside

Post Number: 852
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If those disgruntled Lions players believe they "won" something with their grievance, they are incredibly short-sighted and delusional. If they think anything is going to soften Marinelli's approach or deter him from his mission, they are sadly mistaken."

http://www.mlive.com/lions/sto ries/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/ 1146949808195170.xml&coll=1

Bongman

Post Number: 1076
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to bump this thread in November.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8429
Posted From: 70.53.96.156
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. Could this season give them 4 wins? Pansies...

Darwinism

Post Number: 497
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060509/SPO RTS01/605090363

From the sounds of it, we're probably looking at 1 or 2 bad apples ruining it for the whole team. Good to know Pollard dished out some small change to workout in a gym.

Bly hit it right on the nail when he mentioned the Bears record last year and their work ethics over there to achieve such success.

_sj_

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Tuesday, May 09, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to let you know, it is not a paid time off. They do not get paid their salaries now. That only comes during the seasons in the form of 16 game checks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.