Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Please sign the petition for 24/7 public bus service « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.ipetitions.com/camp aigns/Bus/

This regional transit plan came off the shelf but is going back on the shelf due to the November 8, 2005 city of Livonia Opt out of the Wayne County Transit Authority. We all need to work together to fill the buses up instead of shutting them down if we want to improve mass transit for everyone. I worked with SMART officials in Livonis and we filled up the buses on Middlebelt road. Please support my regional transit plan or challenge to help make a better one that can stay off the shelf and benefit everyone.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, May 08, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia's opting out did not put the regional transit plan on the shelf. A study for the first corridor should be out for public review and comment by the end of June. If anything is holding back the regional transit plan it is not having governance (DARTA) or regional taxation options.

I will agree that Livonia's action will make implementing some lines harder, but it does not kill the whole plan. Livonia will just be left in the dust.

Trainman

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was the regional plan in my webpage (Harold Leese) that is going back on the shelf. It came off the shelf when I got SMART officials to come to Livonia in June 2003. They will implement my plan which uses all existing routes if I can get the state to pay for it.

The SEMCOG plan NEVER came off the shelf and our federal, state and industry leaders will not support it. The DARTA supporters are working very hard to raise county sales taxes to get over $500 Million per year. The public is being led to believe that this will get more jobs to this area and more federal transit grants. This is false propaganda and total BULLSHIT and the facts in my website prove it.

SEMCOG and the Transportation Riders United refuse to debate mass transit on television or in the newspapers. The truth is that our two public bus systems are generously funded and get more money per passenger then any transit system in both the U.S.A. and most of the World.

The November 8, 2005 Livonia opt out was caused by incompetence from regional and state leaders and over 30 years of neglect by not investing in the city of Detroit.

Those who support changing the state constitution to allow transit sales taxes to fix public bus service rely on voter apathy and an uninformed public for good reasons. Basically, they want to raise money by taxing those who least benefit or can afford to pay more for transportation at this time. The efforts to get more industry support are rejected as non-sense and I can prove this on television and in the newspapers with solid evidence.

You can pay Harold Leese (checks, money orders, cash) to educate the public on television and get real mass transit or pay the government more and more and more. And get more freeways and SEMCOG studies and more meetings.

You can support my actions or those who talk and do nothing. Your choice. http://savethefueltax.org

(Message edited by Trainman on May 11, 2006)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 659
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is 24/7 service really needed? I took the 37 Michigan to get to the Greyhound a few times around 4 AM, and the driver told me he rarely ever picks up any passengers on that particular route. Lots of other empty buses in the bustling city late at night...

Trainman

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a fact that without a downtown Detroit that mass transit will never work period. But try and convince our leaders in Lansing of the facts. They insist that the reason we don't have mass transit is because we need a regional mass transit tax like Chicago has. All cities that have real mass transit have 24 hour downtowns. Our state and regional leaders have it backwards. First you need jobs and a downtown to make the one-half percent Wayne, Oakland and Macomb NEW county regional transit authority DARTA tax INCREASE work. But when it comes to raising vast sums of money it's often best to not confuse the issues with the facts, such as the inability of the city of Detroit to run a public bus system. I'm sure the suburbanites can afford to pay a little more to help balance Detroit's budget, so our state can spend over one billion dollars to widen I-75 and I-94. Then, Wal-Mart can destroy more forests and farm fields and the wealthy will move further away and build more large mansions and drive large red Lincoln navigators.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...nah. Online petitions won't sway opinions formed by paper ballot results and actual transit usage.

Trainman

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actual rider-ship statistics and costs are included in my website. Our transit systems are not underfunded as many want the public to believe. We pay more for transit then those in Chicago for example. Cities that have good mass transit get much more money from the fare-box.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.