Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Harrington officially a Dolphin « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5539
Posted From: 64.228.67.99
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

May 12, 8:06 PM (ET)

MIAMI (AP) - The Miami Dolphins acquired quarterback Joey Harrington from Detroit for an undisclosed conditional draft pick, giving the Dolphins a fallback position if new starter Daunte Culpepper isn't ready for the season's first snap.

"We're pleased to have Joey Harrington join the Dolphins," head coach Nick Saban said in a statement. "We will work with him to get him acclimated to our system as quickly as possible."

The Dolphins had been searching for a backup to Culpepper and targeted Harrington, the former No. 3 overall pick who didn't live up to expectations in four years as the Lions' starter. Harrington had expressed his desire to play with the Dolphins.

Harrington's agent David Dunn he expects his client to do well with the Dolphins.

"I am thrilled for Joey as he turns the page to the next chapter of his career, "Dunn said in a statement. "Players like Steve Young, Jake Plummer and Trent Green have thrived when moving to a new location and team, and I expect Joey to do the same thing in Miami. I know that he can't wait to get started with coach Garrett and coach Mularkey."

The Lions also released a statement Friday announcing the move.

Culpepper, acquired from Minnesota this offseason, is recovering from a serious knee injury and may not be ready for the Dolphins' first regular-season game - at Pittsburgh on Sept. 7.

The other two quarterbacks on the Miami roster, Brock Berlin and Cleo Lemon, are young and untested.

Harrington went 18-37 as a starter with the Lions. He threw 60 touchdown passes and 62 interceptions, and his career quarterback rating is a modest 68.1.

Detroit had been expected to cut ties with Harrington before June 15, when he was due a $4 million bonus. He'll likely be replaced by Jon Kitna or Josh McCown, both former starters for other teams who agreed to terms with Detroit this offseason.

http://sports.excite.com/news/ 05122006/v8916.html

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 878
Posted From: 70.227.84.17
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait, Wait, Wait, Wait,.....Dunn stated,

quote:

"Steve Young, Jake Plummer, Trent Green thrived when moving to a new location and team....."

is he saying 'Blue Skies' will be like them???

Also Miami AP stated

quote:

..."giving the Dolphins a fallback position if new starter Duante Culpepper isn't ready for the start of the season"

ya gotta' be kidd'n?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aaaaaaaaaaah ah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ha ha ha ha ha___ now that's funny ! ! ! ! ! ! !

super d(motordetroit)

Drdetroit
Username: Drdetroit

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 68.250.41.15
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

soooooooo whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 624
Posted From: 70.8.251.191
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very dry, monotone...

yay.

later - naturalsister

I always thought he threw more like an eel.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 855
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...you thought right.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4871
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I can think about right now, looking at the title of the thread, is the South Park episode where Kyle's dad undergoes plastic surgery to become a dolphin.

Watch out for Joey's blowhole.

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 69.209.133.194
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see how Millen screws this one up--maybe he will trade one of our serial backup QBs and a draft pick back to the Dolphins to bring Harrington back to Detroit.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1151
Posted From: 63.41.8.185
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This The_aram?

From the episode: Mr Garrison's Saban's Fancy New Vagina.

It is rather appropriate, isn't it?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 762
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Friday, May 12, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, it's ricky williams and the blowhole on his bong that create a problem for miami.

joey will be a great addition to the dolphins and i wish him well.

the qb position in the millen era has been a doomsday spot anyway, with detroit lacking a viable running threat, leaving defenses to concentrate on receivers who were tuned to run short "west coast offense" routes. and, who really cares what routes the receivers ran anyway - with so many money passes slipping out of their fingers as often as they did.

so much great talent has arrived in detroit to become mediocre, and so many players have escaped the black hole of the lions organization to perform well elsewhere.

i'm glad to see those who piped in to knock joey. now i know who doesn't know how football is played - or lions football, for that matter.

Super_d

Post Number: 879
Posted From: 70.227.84.17
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"receivers who were tuned to run short "west coast offense routes."

happens every Sunday in the NFL...it's part of the game!

quote:

"Joey will be a great addition to dolphins....."

aaaaah ha ha ha ha ha ha aaaaaaaaaaah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.....now that's funny!

quote:

"now I know who doesn't know how football is played"

come on man! be serious.... Joey had every opportunity to lead this team! He didn't get the job done.

super d(motordetroit)

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1815
Posted From: 68.255.246.6
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking ahead at this years schedule.... I have a vision of Joey cookin up the cornbread and kicking the Lions asses. All in front of a national audience on Thanksgiving Day.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1016
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nonononononono! I have a fantasy vision of Marinelli weeding out all the kitties, fielding a respectable team, and revenge being taken by driving Joey into the turf!

rumble on Brush - which set of cats will reign?
no dogs allowed

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2792
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joey, Joey, Joey.
Joey, Joey, Joe.
You've been too long
In one town.
Now it's time to go, Time to go-o-o-o-o-o.
Joey, Joey, Joey.
Joey, travel on.

You've been too long
In one little town.
Now the harvest time's come and gone.
That's what the wind sings to me.

When the bunk I've been bunkin' in
Gets to feelin' too soft and cozy.
When the grub they've been givin' me
Gets to tastin' too good.
When I've seen all I want
Of the ladies in the neighborhood,
Then she sings to me.

Joey, Joey, Joey.
Joey, Joey, Joe.
You've been too long
In the same place.
Now it's time to go, time to go.
Joey, time to go.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10066
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can see myself cheering for Joey on Thanksgiving day.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3067
Posted From: 72.49.166.173
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, considering Harrington will be playing behind Daunte Culpepper, I doubt he'll see the field next year.

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 24.176.50.206
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Culpepper will not be ready by week 1

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2794
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, considering Harrington will be behind Daute Culpepper, I dont doubt he will see the feild next year, and often.

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe he wasn't the right fit for the Lions, but I will say this: Of the few games I bothered to watch bits or pieces of, the only time I saw another Honolulu Blue jersey around Joey was when they rushed to help him up off the ground after each play. Johnny Unitas and Bill Munson couldn't operate under those conditions either.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 670
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh! Culpepper has an injury that typically takes twelve to eighteen months to heal for athletics. Harrington was picked up as a temporary starter for 2006. Afterwards, the two will fight for the slot. Both Harrington and Favre suffered the same problems last year--too many rushed passes due to relatively slow, weak offensive linemen.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1047
Posted From: 69.136.149.90
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such a shame that nice tight end will be leaving Detroit.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1343
Posted From: 68.73.197.7
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets see what happens when he cries in front of Saban like he did infront of Millen.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3068
Posted From: 72.49.166.173
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the latest reports, Culpepper's rehab is ahead of schedule and he'll be ready by week one. He's motivated too based on the bad year he had last year. Harrington is a career backup.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 856
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...I'm sure that Joe won't have to keep his social life as private on south beach, as he did in metro Detroit.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 764
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

again - all the dropped passes - and receivers running the wrong routes - and smoking dope - and going through the motions during practice? then, with the running game missing - this gave the opposing defenses extra help covering receivers, and pressuring the quarterback. the one thing i always thought made harrington bad is that he couldn't hit receivers in stride; they always had to adjust for the ball - but then, lo and behold, i saw it start to happen! thanksgiving day last year, joey was doing pretty well, but pollard was dropping balls, as was roy williams, and williams ran ANOTHER route wrong, which resulted in a pick, contributing to joey's ultimate demise as a lion. i started to develop a conspiracy theory that all the receivers wanted to be traded, and they didn't want to play hard and risk getting hurt in detroit - and when something like that happens, you're looking at an organization that stinks - which was proven when mariucci was fired mid-season. that did nothing to turn the team around; it would have worked out better for everyone if they would have just let mooch finish out the season, but look at the firestorm millen drew for his decision! everyone was quick to recognize that a package deal was in order, with the team president hitting the road with his 21-and-59 record. then, the difference in coaching philosophies between millen and interim coach dick jauron was exposed while all the players, and jeff garcia's girlfriend, were complaining to the media and making accusations. there was the angry fan march, and a billboard purchased saying "not this MILLEN-ium."

quote:

Joey had every opportunity to lead this team!

the problems with the lions were much, MUCH bigger than joey.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2571
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. Harrington's demise was just the tip of the iceberg here. Trading him away is just an admission of how the Lions dropped it when it came to developing talent. How many coaches and how many new offense schemes were introduced over the last few years? No direction whatsoever from the front office- we were led to believe this West Coast offense was going to be great and then they draft players that don't fit the system- that'd be like buying a Buick and trying to fit it with Volkswagen parts.

I wish Harringotn some success in Miami. The Lions ruined him and possibly a handful of other talented folks we've had over the years.

Super_d

Post Number: 882
Posted From: 70.88.106.173
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"so much great talent has arrived in Detroit to become mediocore"

Please tell me, you are not talk'n bout' quarterbacks....?

other than Scott Mitchell...we had, aaaah lets see.....

Rick Meyers
Ty Detmer
Rodney Peete
Charlie Batch
Andre Ware
Gary Danielson
Eric Hipple
Eric Kramer
Joey Harrington
Mike McMann
Rusty Hilger
Don Orlosky

We had all that 'Hall of Fame' talent in our history and wasted it! Dog it!

My memory has slipped me, but if anyone can name a more talented quarterback other than the incredibly talented QB's listed in the Lions history, please remind a brotha'..... yeah I quess your right, the Lions destroyed this group of talented QB's!__ go-figure

super d(motordetroit)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.