Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » We should build more houses and roads at 50 mile « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 733
Posted From: 68.77.162.0
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's everywhere. People are just walking away -- absolutely walking away -- from their properties," said D. Wayne O'Neal, city manager of Eastpointe.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20060513/METRO /605130343/1001/BIZ

(Message edited by Eric C. on May 13, 2006)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 669
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastpointe should use sheep on vacant properties with fenced yards to cut down mowing costs. Then Challah butchers could turn them into mutton. And the yard "waste" becomes compost. There's always a way...

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2592
Posted From: 66.167.58.162
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe building new houses at 50 Mile are incentivized by no grass length laws?

That is a rather depressing article and this situation is sure to worsen as the impact manufacturing and service wage declines hit with full force later this year. Welcome to Michissippi.

My advice for neighbors with abandoned properties with overgrown lawns is to be proactive. We had this problem on my street in Highland Park, so one day, on my own, I just went and mowed the three overgrown lawns. I figured a couple of hours was worth it to make the houses appear occupied and discourage squatters or scavengers. I did it a second time but after that the force of positive example took over and other neighbbors [especially those next to the properties] took over, followed suit and I rarely had to do it again. Eventually all three houses were bought and restored.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1048
Posted From: 69.136.149.90
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walking through calf-high dandelions, Williams looked at the house's "For Sale, Zero Down" sign and shook his head.

"Look at this," he said. "It's not fair to the neighbors. Who wants to live next to this?"

Yeah, it's not fair to the original homeowner, either, who lost their job. I'm really sure they wanted to give up their house.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 69.212.228.166
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why is it such an outrage when it is the suburbs but here in Detroit it is no big deal to have the same situation yet only compounded by huge amounts of trash and abandoned buildings?

When are people going to give a F*ck about Detroit?

Three blocks from me I got a boat on the side of the road, a pile of tires in the middle of a street and about a dozen abandoned houses. The ironic part is that I live in the same neighborhood as Ken Cockrel Jr.!!!!

So why is this story about overgrown lawns news anyway????

-Bomb the Suburbs-

If I am elected mayor of the city I will pass an ordinance decreeing that all DDOT busses inoperable will be fixed just enough so that they can take all of the mendicants at Myrtle and Third out to the corner of Old Woodward and Maple, Main and Fourth St., Grand River and Farmington Rd, and Rochester Rd. and Walton. every Saturday night. Let the suburbs face the realities they are so desperately afraid of and finally take some of the responsibility our society delegates to only a chosen few.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2594
Posted From: 66.167.58.162
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Detroit's and other such community's problem all along has been lack of code enforcement. If the state wanted to do something for Detroit, providing, say, 2000 inspectors and the court system to promptly process the violations would provide quick results. There is an owner for every property and codes for their maintenance. Simply enforce them.

Unfortunately, inspectors in Detroit are understaffed and a large percentage of positions are often unfilled. Violations are scoffed at and bribery is always a factor. Making the cost of addressing the issues exceed the cost of neglecting them is the tipping point of progress. Properly run the fines would cover the expenses. They have done this will parking, why not code violations?

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1127
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It has nothing to do with 50 mile... I live in shelby township and have seen the same thing. The subdivision across the street at times has 3-4 houses for sale in a row.

It wont pick up until people start lowering their prices on these homes... Helping with closing costs dont cut it. People have too many houses to look at to spend 300,000 in shelby vs the same house for 150,000 in warren. Until they start giving these houses away.. nobody will buy them because they were overpriced to begin with.

the collapse is beginning....

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 68.40.50.194
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was that boat in the road on Fullerton? I saw two boats on that road one day...

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 971
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive anywhere in Michigan and you're going to see the same thing, people are losing their houses because they are losing their jobs. Go up north and see how much property is for sale, and been for sale for a few years.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 215
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Harbor Springs, Petoskey and Cross Village two weeks ago. It wasn't uncommon to see three houses in a row for sale on streets in the hills of Petoskey. The area between Harbor Springs and Cross Village was the worst. Nearly 70% of the homes were for sale.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1128
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... ive definatly seen it... in former vacation hot spots like lake st. helen and Tawas bay.

Like i said... until sellers start really making serious concessions, there will be no market to buy these houses... The market that can buy these properties for an investment is way below the current price range.

Younger people with less money could buy these homes and get their life started decently in a decent home if the sellers would get real that they wont get 400,000 for a 2300 sq ft home in Harrison township.

THese people are getting greedy and cant face reality that there actually IS a market out there for these homes, but its going to be less than what they wanted for it.... cry me a river... if you want to get rid of your house... your price has to come down substantially, not by 2000$.... more like 50-100,000$ and you will be suprised at the floods of people looking to snatch up a deal.

Yes thats alot of money... but its better than sitting on a house for 4 years isnt it??

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 593
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of mowing my neighbor's lawns, I was more proactive and didnt buy a Lexus and didnt shop at Walmart.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 69.212.228.166
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what the hell does that mean East Detroit?

Iheartthed - the Boat is on the East Side of Rosa Parks just south of the I-94 bridge.

The Tires are on Mark street just West of Rosa Parks and south of Nine Fo.

(Message edited by Bussey on May 13, 2006)

(Message edited by Bussey on May 13, 2006)

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 67.149.62.53
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Code enforcement is key, especially with a large about of rentals in the city. I know Hazel Park is beginning to ticket renters for not keeping properties up to code (lawn cut, cars on lawn, etc).

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can all help everyone keep their homes by voting NO to defeat the SMART property tax renewal next August. The Michigan Department of Transportation is required by law to fully support SMART. The purpose of this tax is to replace state funds (a tax shift) so vast sums of money can be raised to build large suburban freeways as outlined by the SEMCOG 20 year plan.

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 66.174.93.99
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

I quickly perused the SEMCOG 2030 transportation plan. Is this the 20 year plan you were referring to? Again, I looked the the plan very briefly, but what new freeways are planned?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 596
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bussey, simple Detroit economics.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 354
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's with the crack about 50 mile road? The article had nothing to do with sprawl, these houses are being foreclosed, its not like the owners are abandoning them to move out to the far reaches of Oakland and Macomb Counties.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 734
Posted From: 68.77.162.0
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...seems to me we have an over-abundance of homes in the metro, Warriorfan, and developers keep building more at the fringe. That's all. I am disheartened by the plight of the home-owners.

Bostedguy
Username: Bostedguy

Post Number: 348
Posted From: 69.246.19.150
Posted on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was trying to be a good samaritan and mowed the vacant lot next door to me. Brand new mower. Hit some damn metal thing that was embedded into the lawn....RUINED my lawnmower. So much for good samaritanship.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.