Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Hockey Hall of Fame? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 993
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/ news/story?id=2445183

Should Detroit make a bid to get this? Might make some sense. It is Hockeytown.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 809
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit should definitely bid for this. It would be a great addition to downtown Detroit

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4872
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a better fit in the Twin Cities, honestly. Yeah, Detroit hockey fans are admirable. But it's an entirely different world of obsession up there.

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 69.246.17.24
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be great here.. However The_aram is right, it would be a better fit in the Twin Cities..

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_aram is absolutely right about the Twin Cities being at "an entirely different world of obsession up there." I coached and played with the Men's Senior Major "A" Championship Team for the State of Michigan in the 1973-74 Season.

We thought we were such a great team because we all grew up together, played hockey togther as kids, went off and many of us played hockey with some of the best programs in collegiate hockey in the U.S. and were the champions of our state.

The U.S. championship was played up in St. Paul, MN. We had beaten all of our opponents in this U.S. championship playoff really bad. But, the Minnesota entry was beating all of their opponents even worse than we were.

Finally, the championship game between us and the Minnesota team was that called South St. Paul played for all the marbles. They beat us something terrible. The final score was 11-1 and we were incredulous that they were so much better than us.

I remember after the game their coach came over an d congratulated me and us on a good game. They said we were the best team to play them in probably 5 years and I was dumbstruck!

You also have to remember the the heart of the U.S. Olympic Gold Medal Team in 1960 were players from Minnesota that happened to also be brothers. Then their kids came along 20 years later in 1980 and did the same thing they did in 1960 which was to beat the unbeatable Russian Hockey Machine and win the Gold Medal in 1980.

That's Twin Cities Hockey!

The_aram is absolutely right about the Twin Cities being at "an entirely different world of obsession up there." I coached and played with the Men's Senior Major "A" Championship Team for the State of Michigan in the 1973-74 Season.

We thought we were such a great team because we all grew up together, played hockey togther as kids, went off and many of us played hockey with some of the best programs in collegiate hockey in the U.S. and were the champions of our state.

The U.S. championship was played up in St. Paul, MN. We had beaten all of our opponents in this U.S. championship playoff really bad. But, the Minnesota entry was beating all of their opponents even worse than we were.

Finally, the championship game between us and the Minnesota team was that called South St. Paul played for all the marbles. They beat us something terrible. The final score was 11-1 and we were incredulous that they were so much better than us.

I remember after the game their coach came over an d congratulated me and us on a good game. They said we were the best team to play them in probably 5 years and I was dumbstruck!

You also have to remember the the heart of the U.S. Olympic Gold Medal Team in 1960 were players from Minnesota that happened to also be brothers. Then their kids came along 20 years later in 1980 and did the same thing they did in 1960 which was to beat the unbeatable Russian Hockey Machine and win the Gold Medal in 1980.

That's Twin Cities Hockey!

1960 Olympic Gold Medal Hockey Team

1980 Olympic Gold Medal Hockey Team

Livedog2

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say no. Hockey is an international sport. The Hockey Hall of Fame is in Toronto and that covers all of Hockey. Some lame hockey hall of fame of USA would fail in comparison.

There may be a reason why the museum folded. Remember, none of the Russians form the Red Wings would be eligible, heck half to 2/3rds of each hockey team would be ineligible.

Mr_onion
Username: Mr_onion

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 68.205.46.219
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey is behind Poker and Reruns of my MR ED,, its a sport that has passed its prime sad to say,, Hell Nascar is even Bigger ,, SHut the doors and throw away the key.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4873
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great stories, Livedog.

my experience with Minnesota hockey fans comes from being at the NCAA tournament regional in Grand Forks, North Dakota this past March. Minnesota was playing Holy Cross in the first game, and Holy Cross pulled off one of the greatest upsets in tournament history, knocking off the 1-seed Gophers in one of the greatest hockey games I've ever seen. Now, granted, this is pretty crushing for Minnesota fans. However, the vast majority of them stayed for the second game, North Dakota vs. Michigan. Why? Solely to cheer AGAINST North Dakota. It was like nothing I've ever seen before. They weren't cheering for Michigan- they were wishing death on NoDak. That's pretty cool.

Let 'em have the US Hall of Fame. they deserve it.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, let Henry Boucha of the Detroit Red Wings and Warroad, Minnesota hockey fame manage it!

henry boucha

Livedog2

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2607
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I love the sport of hockey I do know that in the United States, for the most part it's a niche sport. It's a wonderful sport for those of us who grew up around it, played it and can understand some of the nuances of the game.

This Hall of Fame wherever it is just won't be much of a tourist draw just based upon its lack of a serious following here in the US. Compare this to the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto and that place is a major mecca & tourist draw there just because it is a major sport there.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 995
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course Toronto is and will be the mecca. If there is to be a US hall of fame, there are really only 2 states it should be. Minnesota or Michigan.

I don't disagree that Minnesota should most likely have it. But I was thinking that Detroit might be the ONLY other place that could have a legit claim to it.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was even thinking possibly Lake Placid, the site where the Miracle on Ice team won wouldn't be a bad spot to have the US Hockey Hall of Fame. Why not have it a part of the rink where the American program had some of its greatest glory?

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 972
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The saddest thing was when they moved the North Stars to Dallas and there was no NHL team in Minnesota. Minnesota is the on place that beats us in terms of obsession of hockey. And hockey is a nitch sport, partly because it is played best and has it popularity in cold climates that actually have ice outdoors during certain times of the year.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1437
Posted From: 66.238.170.39
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minnesota is definately the place to have the US Hockey Hall of Fame. People live and breath hockey there much like kids used to live and breath baseball here.

Winter in MN is the best time of the year to be a kid (or adult for that matter). Every city has several outdoor hockey rinks set up in their parks. Pick-up games happen all day and night, no matter how cold it gets.

All the high schools, both public and private, have hockey teams. That's where the best talent is found in MN, not in the private traveling teams. The cheerleading teams come to the hockey games, not the basketball games in MN. The whole state is like that, not just the Twin Cities.

I think the best place for the US Hockey Hall of Fame would be in the Twin Cities somewhere. The second best place would be Detroit. The reason the current (now former) US Hockey Hall of Fame has such little attendance is because it's out in no man's land. It would be like having it in Gaylord if it were Michigan. A move to downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul (the best choice) would put it on the map and get it lots of attendance from folks visiting the Twin Cities.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1644
Posted From: 69.219.103.109
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's a better fit in the Twin Cities, honestly. Yeah, Detroit hockey fans are admirable. But it's an entirely different world of obsession up there.

Yeah, Minnesota has the kind of obsession where they don't bother showing up to NHL games.

The Detroit Red Wings routinely beat the pasts off of the Minnesota Wild when it comes to paid attendance. While we're at it St. Louis and Philadelphia have both beaten Minnesota in attendance figures and done so for the past 4 seasons in a row.

Plus, last in the season that we have full attendance figures for (2003-04), Tampa Bay came close to beating them in terms of paid attendance (759,776 vs 730,634).

Tampa freakin' Bay!

And Tampa's attendance figures are rising whereas Minnesota's are pretty much flat.

I'm sorry, but if you are having trouble competing with Tampa for attendance in hockey then you're not even worthy of visiting the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame let alone having it in your city.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 66.88.89.94
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anybody been to the US Hockey Hall of Fame? We were just there last summer because Eveleth is near Hibbing, Bob Dylan's hometown, but we didn't go in because the lobby was just this large vacuous space with nothing to draw you in. The whole concept looked like one of those pork barrel projects localities create to get federal or state funding. Kind of depressing. I guess what you would be buying is just the name and rights to call your project the "US Hockey Hall of Fame". If any city buys this Hall of Fame they would no doubt be starting from scratch.

(Message edited by xD_brklyn on May 15, 2006)

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 448
Posted From: 68.248.42.22
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing about Minnesota hockey is they are more into High School (where it rivals football) and College than they are Pro hockey. That doesn't really mean anything when talking about the Twin Cities prospect for the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame, but it does account for the bad attendance at Wild games. Don't forget that the team hasn't been great either, and the one time they made a good playoff run people were very excited.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great! So build the high school or NCAA hockey hall of fame there.

And put the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame in a place where the NHL has a bigger presence - like Detroit, St. Louis, Philadelphia or, ahem, Tampa Bay.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1240
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leave it in Toronto where it belongs. Detroit is Hockey Town? Only in our own eyes. And only during the regular season.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The NHL Hall of Fame is, always has been and probably always will be, in Toronto. However, there's also a U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame that is currently in Eveleth, Minnesota.

That's what the article was about - and this thread.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1346
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incorporate it into the new Home of the Red Wings.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2621
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, how many people would this actually draw? I'm not so sure a USA Hockey HOF would draw that many fans. I'd sure as heck would visit the NHL HOF but just the USA HOF? Would it be THAT interesting to visit and could it even maintain any traffic & revnue flow from tourism??

I'm not saying it isn't valid but in the US, I don't think hockey's got a rabid following to make this a premier tourist desitnation.

For that matter, how many of us have even visited other HOFs like the football one in Canton, basketball in Springfield, and the baseball in Cooperstown?? And these are considered the MAJOR sports in the USA!

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 65.42.16.138
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, the HHOF in Toronto is not just for the NHL, but all hockey from amatuer/college to international/olympics and professional leagues from around the world. There are exhibits for all types of ice hockey.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 216.93.121.82
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visited Lake Placid a few years ago. They have tours of the arena that hosted the famous Olimpic hockey win against USSR. Its a nice tourist town, a perfect place for the US HOF.

Smogboy

Post Number: 2622
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My sentiments exactly Kenp! Why not offer it up to that town where it's touristy and help them along? I understand the historical significance of each of the HOFs in each city because they were considered the birthplaces of each sport. But for a sport like hockey that definitely did not have its origins here in the US, why no take it to its most fabled spot in Lake Placid?

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, May 15, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nationally, for some reason, most people associate hockey with Boston in my opinion.

It would probably be best in Minneapolis where youth and amateur hockey is most popular than anywhere else. Minnesotans in terms of professional sports (except for football, but that is different all together) have always been rather "particular" in what they choose to support.

It would be cool to have it here in Detroit. This state also has a great tradition in hockey. It wouldn't be a huge tradition, but it's anothing thing to see when people are in town and because it doesn't have that big of a following in the United States, I think that it would be better served where there are more people, therefore leaving larger metropolitan areas probably the best area for it

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 208.251.168.194
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a little late for the prom here, so to speak, but I just got back from vacation (from Minnesota, even!).

I've been to both halls...the US one in Eveleth & of course, the TRUE hockey hall of fame in Toronto, and xd_brklyn is right...they should definitely start from scratch as the US hall of fame BLOWS GOATS compared to Toronto!!!

Also, people & players who are in the US HOF who many less-informed persons feel should be in Toronto already are, anyway, so I've never seen a need for a specific-U.S. HOF.

Next thing you know, people will be wanting a "Central Kansas Native All-Sports Hall of Fame," or a "People Born & Raised in Vermont Legend Gallery..................."

Maybe that's why attendance is so low....hockey fans know that the true hall of fame in Toronto is the better place to go!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.