Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Frosting on the cake… « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 267
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got through looking at the latest installment of the detroitblog guy’s photos and narrative title, Frosting on the cake”. Once again he’s outdone himself with wonderful photos and very literate, entertaining and intelligent descriptions.

But, he doesn’t include anything on his site for feedback, questions or comments which I applaud him for. The wealth of knowledge on the DetroitYes forum will probably help me with some of my more technical questions and insights about the detroitblog work.

The first question I have is can anyone tell by looking at the photos whether the detroitblog guy is using a conventional film camera, digital camera or combination digital and film camera? Some of the shots that I see look like they might have been taken with a larger format camera – like at least a 2 ¼ x 2 ¼ format. The reason I say this is because a number of the shots look like time exposures and my thinking is that large format, film camera lend themselves more to time exposure shots. Any other insights that anyone might have about the technical aspects of the photos would be appreciated.

Next, I was wondering if anyone else recognizes the writing style that the detroitblog guy uses. I think all writing leaves a unique signature of sorts. And, the easy, fluid, descriptive yet light hearted and at times playful way he writes offers a very distinct signature. The other portion of the writing is that technically it is well put together, grammatically correct, with a generous vocabulary and excellent spelling. This tells me the detroitguy either makes his living doing writing, photographing or both. I was wondering if anyone else might recognize his writing style from any local rags or other publications.

Just wondering! What do you think? G-d I love a good mystery! Did I do good with G-d, Jjaba? I am coach able! <(:-)~

Livedog2
question mark

Gargoyle
Username: Gargoyle

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 24.192.189.109
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are so right about the detroitblog guy, Livedog. I love to read his stuff and drool over the pics. He goes places I can't. If I'm not mistaken, he says he works for one of the papers somewhere on his site. In any event, I check it out every day to see what's new. Great work!!!

Wabashrr1
Username: Wabashrr1

Post Number: 127
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's mentioned in other postings that he uses a digital camera and in fact has ruined one or two of them with all the dust in those places. A lot of digitals, even point and shoots are capable of the few second time exposures necassary to get those last two shots. I've also seen him mention a tripod so he goes exploring prepared to take photos. His photos show that he's learned how to use it properly. I do agree that a medium format camera would really lend itself to those types of photos.

If he's here, reading and/or posting on DY, I too would like to give him a big thumbs up for his work.

He mentioned that several railroads had offices there.. Does anyone know which ones?

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 416
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Wednesday, May 17, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroitblog and detroitfunk.com have been outstanding the last few months

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2520
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WabashRR, I looked through a couple of pre-war directories and there isn't a single railroad company listed as an occupant. The Transportation Building was next door and is filled with railroad companies. There seems to be an office for every railroad in the country.

He mentions that the block was sold to Edsel Ford and Benjamin Berry in 1906, but Edsel would have been ~ 10 years old at the time. Maybe a typo?

Wabashrr1

Post Number: 128
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess everyone is allowed a few typos once in awhile. I still enjoy the site. Thanks for looking up the info Mikem.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1319
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He mentions that the block was sold to Edsel Ford and Benjamin Berry in 1906, but Edsel would have been ~ 10 years old at the time. Maybe a typo?

Not a typo...Detroitblog wrote that "E.L. Ford and Benjamin Berry" bought the block in 1906". He's referring to Emory Leyton Ford, not Edsel Ford.

Here's what the 1908 Book of Detroiters said about E.L. Ford:

FORD, Emory Leyden; born, New Albany, Ind., Jan. 3, 1876; son of Emory Low and Ella I. (Neat) Ford; graduate Princeton University, degree of B.S., 1896; widower. Began business career as chemist Michigan Alkali Co., manufacturers of heavy chemicals, 1896, became purchasing agent and since 1900 has been secretary and treasurer of the company. Also vice president J. B. Ford Co., Anderson Forge and Machine Co.; director Franklin Steamship Co., Fremont Steamship Co., Old Detroit National Bank. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Masonic order (32º), Knight Templar. Clubs: Detroit, University, Country, Detroit Boat, Old Club, Detroit Racquet and Curling, Automobile. Recreations: Yachting and Automobiling. Office: 814 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 33 E. Kirby Av.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3319
Posted From: 68.79.102.113
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the "Chemical" Fords.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2522
Posted From: 208.54.94.97
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, but Detroitblogguy must check in often, because it has been corrected since I posted the typo here last night.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5896
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<----MikeM, please click here

Livedog2

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very observant, Mikem about the detroitblog guy correcting the typo since you posted it last night. Do you think the detroitblog guy made it back to his 5th floor walk up with a box of Twinkies in one hand and a 6 pack of Hair of the Frog Ale in the other and his camera equipment slung over his shoulder after a night of Urban Exploration/Archeology/Photogr aphy. He kicked his sneakers off at the doorway so as not to get asbestos, feces, e coli bacteria, or any of plague related diseases into his meager coldwater flat.

As he walked through his apartment he pulled his jeans off exposing faded boxer shorts, turned on his black & white TV sitting on the coffee table with only three legs and an orange crate to hold up where the fourth leg was, banged on the top of the TV to get reception but then realized the aluminum foil hand fallen off of the twisted TV antennas.

Then through bloodshot eyes he popped open a brew, broke open the box of Twinkies, turned on his “old” COMPAQ Portable III, Model 2660 and went to the DetroitYes website. After adjusting the hole in the sock on his left foot because his big toe was getting cold he sat straight up dripping Hair of the Frog down his chest and lap while smearing Twinkie cream on his nose.

The reason for this startling moment was that he had been caught with the dreaded “typo”! How do we know this? Mikem made reference to it on the DetroitYes website under the “Frosting on the cake…” thread started by Livedog2. detroitblog guy leaned forward went onto his detroitblog website and made the correction. This was all accomplished without the aid of Nick Charles.

Livedog2 having as much fun as a person can have sitting at his computer with all of his clothes on!

Livedog2

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1320
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, MikeM. I simply thought that the "E.L. Ford" was misread to imply Edsel Ford. Didn't know that it originally stated Edsel Ford. Wonder why he didn't spell out Emory Leyton Ford as E.L. Ford seems a bit vague.

Livedog2

Post Number: 271
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Itsjeff the detroitblog guy?

Livedog2

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 71.144.93.154
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, great blog entry, well researched and informative. Sad story about the Lafayette building, it didn't need to fall in to neglect.

Eric

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2 is starting to crack me up with his 'Jjabaesque' third person speak.

Jams

Post Number: 3328
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, don't mess with Itsjeff by trying to "out" him (although you're wrong), otherwise you'll find a pack of wild ghetto dogs outside your door.

Livedog2

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Jams! Sorry Itsjeff!! I don't need anymore "ghetto dogs outside" my "door"!!! Livedog2 wants to stay a Livedog for now!!!!

ghetto dog

Since Jams jumped on that one so ferociously do you think he might be the detroitblog guy? Naw, couldn't be, could it?

Livedog2

Jams

Post Number: 3329
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope.

Although I'm still intrigued regarding your comments about medium format. I'm a "Real Film" guy trying to get into the "Digital Age". I spent most of my career photographing with medium format or 4x5 equipment with some assignments requiring 35mm slides for which I collected an amazing number of cameras and lenses.

I echo your questions, not about the equipment, but about his technique. His images are quite striking.

BTW Livedog2, I'll let others explain the references to the "packs of wild ghetto dogs" it's very amusing, or use the search function.

Livedog2

Post Number: 274
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew we were “kindred spirits”, Jams! I am and was a professional photographer but not as much anymore. After I got back from Vietnam where I did some combat photography with the 1st Marine Division, but mostly I was a 0300 Basic Infantryman, I enrolled at WSU and took a job as a photographer with Fox Studios out on Gratiot in Detroit. I worked for a guy named Mel he had a bald head and when he was out in the field doing weddings he was the best. I don’t know if he was the owner or just managed the Gratiot Studios. He took me out and did one wedding with me and liked my work and said, “Go git’em Tiger!” and I did. I never got tired of weddings like so many of the photographers did because it was always a happy event and a happening!

I use to use a 2 ¼ X 2 ½ Mamiya and then moved up to Hasselblad. I cultivated a great clientele – “old” money in Grosse Point and immigrant Blacks from the island like Jamaica. These blacks were the best! They were totally different from the blacks born and raised in the U.S. and couldn’t relate to them at all. They were very industrious, hard working and successful in business. They were also the best tippers I ever had because they loved my work. There biggest complaint was that photographers always made their faces too dark because they for the most part were very dark but I compensated for that by opening up a stop or two. The Pointers weren’t very good tippers but they use to buy big photo jobs and the final bill was always 3 or 4 times the size of any other customers so we made money off of them in that way. That was when I found out where the real power was in those households. The men back in those days might have been “the boss” in the office or in business but their wives ran the home and all they could do was say, “Yes dear!”

So, I have much photo equipment – I still have my Mamiya and Hasselblad. I also have a couple of Leicas – a range finder and SLR with many lenses. I have much more exotic equipment like a twin lense reflex that I used to make my own stereo views. I’ve gotten into digital photography and in my opinion it has revolutionized photography. But, it has some serious limitations as far as I’m concerned but it’s a learning process as everything is.

Now you get the idea about why I always include photos with my postings! I think and dream in images!!

For my money Speed Graphic was the best all around camera ever made!

Livedog2
speed graphics

Wabashrr1

Post Number: 132
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love those old cameras. While everyone else is going digital, I've been submersed in film.. Bought and sold many speed graphics but the one I regret selling the most is this one..

Super Speed Graphic

Part of a late 60s combat outfit (the camera, not me) complete with the olive drab Haliburton case. Took it up to Lansing to try it out on the state capitol building (not a wise idea in January) and from the photo (4x5 film) taken from the street, I can see every point of every star on the American flag flying on top of the building.

It'd be a real trip to find out the detroitblog guy was using one of these tanks.

Jams

Post Number: 3335
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2,
You and I need to meet up in person. I've spent most of my life affilated with Fox Studios, managing and photographing at most of the locations. I probably know you in real life, just haven't put the clues together.

Mel, and his brother Larry, owned the place, as far as I know his son is in charge still, it's been a few years since I've been in contact with them.

Still love my Mamiyas.

(Message edited by JamS on May 18, 2006)

Jams

Post Number: 3336
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for the threadjack.

As I've said before, one tangent leads to another.

It's not the first time I've come across a person from years past I've lost touch with on this forum

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1220
Posted From: 69.47.194.247
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Meanwhile, the only real work going on inside is the painting of the windows by the Dead House Painters, the same group responsible for the United Artists Mayan-themed window paintings, the group that, unlike other idiots in town, doesn’t paint over irreplaceable terra cotta or brick, and instead sticks to windows."

The Dead House Painters have painted on Marble and limestone.

I know of at least 2 cases for sure.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.