Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Some serious policing going on « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1030
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Major drug bust

and could it be true? I guess we'll find out La Shish Owner's Wife Arrested

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 603
Posted From: 65.91.73.194
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

More than $16 million in cocaine and more than $1 million in cash were seized, according to police.

Holy shit, I hope they can lean on these 6 people to get some good leads on other perps. With this much in their possession, you know they have info

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3338
Posted From: 68.79.102.113
Posted on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wondered why I always wanted to go back for more.

Illmatic774
Username: Illmatic774

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 70.189.142.74
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

score 1 for Detroit!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2680
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow... I wonder what's going to happen to this chain of restaurants now. Good work to Detroit's Finest on getting this stuff off the streets.

Jaredrich
Username: Jaredrich

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 69.246.41.175
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are these stories even related? The La Shish story touches on a raid a year ago and says nothing about drugs. This sounds alot like a melding of two stories to come up with something interesting... like the National Inquirer.

I think it's bogus.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1033
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No the two stories aren't related other than breaking at the same time, never said they were. But they're both big news for an area where so many complain about ineffective law enforcement.

Should be very interesting to see how the LaShish story ends up.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 259
Posted From: 198.204.133.208
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the same LaShish owners whose son gunned down another guy over an ex girlfriend a couple years back?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 717
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, if this was drug-related, does LaShish become a cop shop?

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 904
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a coke bust caught early - job well done...

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 670
Posted From: 194.138.39.52
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The LaShish arrest and the drug bust are completely unrelated, people. But an interesting pair of developments.

I have always thought the Drug Police in DPD are superior, but they regulate trafficing, which does nothing for the spin-off crimes, which are the majority of our issues in the city. Then again, if you can cut off the supply or make it difficult for the dealers to operate and supply in the City, it becomes less of a haven. I wish this kind of stuff happened much more often.

I also wish, we could hear after every shooting that the perp is caught and jailed. If the rest of the department were run like this special unit, we'd be halfway there.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1144
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the bottom line is that Detroit is too big of a city to keep all the rodents out of it...

Really, the DPD should be focussing on keeping the drugs out of the more populated neighborhoods.. instead of worrying about supply..

As big as this city is, there will ALWAYS BE a drug supply... lets not make the situation worse than it has to be... if you keep them on their side of town and never let them come over to ours... i think you will see a stark difference in how neighborhoods turn out.

All thats going to happen now is that the dealers that didnt get screwed are going to be able to get more money for the supply they got... which will get more people into the lucritive drug game.

Honestly...isnt this city big enough for everyone??? every city has a red light district and a place to get good shit at 3 AM.
I know I am completely the devils advocate here... but honest to god, our current way of handling this ISNT WORKING!.. If someone wants some blow RIGHT NOW... they can get it if they know where to go... the only difference is now they will have to bust out 3 more stores windows tonite to pay for it. wow... what a victory.

If these people had a place with greatly reduced enforcement, a place to STAY where they wouldnt bother the people who want no involvement... i think it would work out for everyone. It would free up valuable police resources to protect the people that will actually RESPECT the law... not wasting it..

I think that in this case, this war can be settled with some sacrifices. Its kind of like trying to rid Rome of Christians...

why not let the crackheads live their lives in their own part of town and dont bother them... and get real strict if they bother you... It would be easier to handle if they had a border to defend... Right now you can kill one, and 5 more little guys pop up...
3 get poped within a year... 2 go big time and whats your net result... one gets busted the other gets poped, and 7 more little guys pop up to take their business...

Prohibition never worked... EVER...

Lets face it... I dont think there is another way to fight this battle but to herd them somewhere... so they can leave the rest of us alone..

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 676
Posted From: 194.138.39.52
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all your crazy rants... this one's not so crazy. food for thought. Thanks.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1034
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's all fine and good but they still have to pay for the product, so how/where are they going to get the $$? Even if prices come down due to legalization the end stage of addiction doesn't lend itself to earning money for junk.

edit: Maybe prescriptions for maintenance level dosages would work until some type of treatment/crave blocker gets developed.

(Message edited by lilpup on May 19, 2006)

Alexei289

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most crack heads cant afford cars... and if they could, they already pawned them for crack... if they were forced to live in a part of town among other crackheads... its not like there wont be people still making legit money in that part of town... but really.. it will probably end up being a prostitute being ripped off by a crack head... or some suburban kid looking for weed in a new escalade.... really nobody's fault but their own for going there in the first place.

But its way better than people considering the WHOLE CofD this way... which they currently do...
the good people here need a place to live in peace..

Lets face it.. .until they do come up with a crack crave blocker... crackheads are pretty much as good as dead anyway... no amount of charity will ever help them... it really is a shame, i have had several friends that I used to work with that have fallen into that lifestyle, and yes they have times they quit for a year or even more... but then you dont see them around while their out on a 7 day bender... its incurable...

But you start to feel much less remorse for them once you wake up one day and about 15,000$ worth of roofing tools are gone with your truck.

Lets face it... God didnt create Hell for no reason... he needed a place other than heaven to put these pieces of shit in... where they wont polute the greatness of heaven. maybe we can learn something...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 720
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"3 get poped within a year... 2 go big time and whats your net result... one gets busted the other gets poped, and 7 more little guys pop up to take their business..."

And the poping (and that of another thread) goes on...

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1501
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my favorite line:

quote:

The bust was a result of the combined efforts by authorities to eliminate criminal activity in the city of Detroit

It should have read "the bust was a result of the authorities doing their job." Becuase I believe the job of the authorities is to eliminate criminal activity.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 494
Posted From: 172.165.42.234
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

i have had several friends that I used to work with that have fallen into that lifestyle, and yes they have times they quit for a year or even more... but then you dont see them around while their out on a 7 day bender... its incurable...

But you start to feel much less remorse for them once you wake up one day and about 15,000$ worth of roofing tools are gone with your truck.

That's exactly how the cycle works.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 296
Posted From: 69.136.148.83
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of policing, anyone know why Belle Isle is closed off today?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10090
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey man, there is a decent truck around the corner of my house parked against the curb, just needs to rims and tires. lol

Alexei289

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol no shit... i got mine back... last year... they found it off the Southfield Freeway...
has the truck been there for a while or just wound up there?

O... the best part is when the police actually FIND your vehical... they impound it first before giving it back to you... you pay the 250$ at the impound yard... and then you get to look in a line of tables where you can buy all your stuff back... they got your rims... tires... radio.. seats.. ect... you can buy it all back right there at the yard :-)... yippee

(Message edited by alexei289 on May 20, 2006)

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 297
Posted From: 69.246.31.218
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, that the truck on Commonwealth? That thing has been there forever. Seriously, if someone wants to take it go ahead.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1035
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"they impound it first before giving it back to you"

actually when a vehicle is impounded for any reason (abandoned, accident, etc) a VIN check is done - that's often when the stolens are found

the bit about buying your parts back doesn't make sense, though - if it's in or on the vehicle when impounded it still should be - police are supposed to do a quick inventory - usually check off boxes on the PD tow slip

Alexei289

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... the impound yards arent stupid...

Usually when your car gets stolen i guess.. your probably missing the tires, rims, radio.. ect.

The impound yard must make a mint selling this stuff back to people...

remember that you need tires to drive your car out of the lot after you pay the 250$ for them to do their "VIN check" or whatever... even though my registration and insurance were in the glove box...

Lilpup

Post Number: 1036
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the police departments that do the VIN checks. Impound yards don't have access to that info and any registrations or insurance found in the vehicle aren't necessarily accurate.

I've never heard of an impound yard selling parts this way. I know they can charge for storing and tagging items but not outright parts sales - they would have to have specific state licensing to do so and anyone selling recycled or salvage parts has to have on file, by law, the VIN of the vehicle the part came from and how they acquired it.

Alexei289

Post Number: 1154
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not all of it is from recycled cars... some were new, though many of it is just used parts.. and im sure they are liscenced to do so...

all i know is, if you want your car to roll out of that lot without a tow truck.. you might as well pony up an extra 60$ per rim and 25$ per tire, and slap em on your car...

the yard I was at had salvage vehicles in the back of the lot, im sure they have made use of their space wisely if the impound business slows down...

maybe i got screwed... i wouldnt be suprised... but the whole ordeal was such a kick in the ass to my nerves i really didnt give a shit, i just wanted my car back..

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an interesting report I found online when our van was stolen. http://72.14.203.104/search?q= cache:k5b1Qn_nJFAJ:www.ci.detr oit.mi.us/Legislative/CharterA ppointments/AuditorGeneral/Rep orts/PAT%2520Towing%2520Contra cts%252012-2003.pdf+detroit+au to+recovery&hl=en&gl=us&ct=cln k&cd=16 If the link doesn't work I put detroit auto recovery in google and it's the first untitled document when you scroll down the page. We ended up getting stuck with one of he worst, Michigan Auto Recovery. Because our van was in good shape they stuck it to the insurance company for 550 dollars including 5 bucks a mile to deliver it back to the east side.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2175
Posted From: 69.14.135.95
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And here I thought that this had something to do with the "seatbelt enforcement crackdown" that they've been carping about for the past several days now...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.