Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit may get bulk trash pickup « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 981
Posted From: 216.78.48.30
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit may get bulk trash pickup

Kilpatrick, City Council are working on deal for collection 4 times a year; funding is uncertain.

Christine MacDonald / The Detroit News
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060519/M ETRO01/605190361/1003/METRO

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4165
Posted From: 141.217.173.155
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about time KING KWAME is doing something about this city becomming a world's biggest landfill site.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3345
Posted From: 68.252.68.130
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As usual with Danny....... Huh?

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This looks like a good compromise. Not everyone has a pickup truck to dispose of large items at the dump. I also like the idea of yard waste being included with curbside pick up. I assume it would have to be bagged and/or bound beside your trash can. No more stuffing yard waste in the can! What a concept!

Jams

Post Number: 3350
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is yard waste?

I'd be happy to talk to you about the benefits about compost bins. Why send it to the incinerator, when in a couple of months you'll have something to add to the land at no cost to you, except your time?

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 371
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I agree. I need to start a compost heap.

But I had all kinds of trash, bricks and broken concrete in the lot next to me, when we bought the house. I got the city dump to take it, but they said I wasn't supposed to give to them. So I asked the guy what am I supposed to do? Bury the brick? It's no my fault the city did a lousy job of demoing the house next to me years ago!

(BTW, I've use some of the concrete and whole bricks as landscape edging. Works nice and it's always good to reuse of course.)

Jams

Post Number: 3353
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool!!

I've a walkway to my backyard made of bricks from the old Detroiter Hotel.

I'm a great fan of reuse, recycle, not always an easy concept here. I really miss my veggie gardens I grew in my former yards, too much shade in my yard now. Nothing better than a boiling pot and running out to pick a cob or two of sweet corn to throw into.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, one day we'll have a kick ass garden. Rome wasn't built in a day. :-)

We have a walkway out our side door made from the pavers that were torn up when they redid the alleys for English Village. I think half the neighborhood has walkways and patios made from those pavers (there's another guy up the street doing a part of his little driveway with them.)

Can't wait until they tear up more alleys (more really need to be redone anyways). When they redo Michigan avenue it's gonna be a field day! :-)

The old bricks look a lot cooler than those new ones from don't they? What kind of brick did you get from the former Detroiter Hotel and where was the Detroiter Hotel?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.