Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Masonic Temple - new Arcadia book due 5/31 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1323
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit's Masonic Temple is expected to be published by Arcadia Publishing on May 31.

Authors: Alex Lundberg is an award-winning journalist who has worked in the metro Detroit area since 1992. The great-grandson and grandson of Freemasons, he was entered, passed, and raised as a member of Detroit Lodge No. 2, Free and Accepted Masons, in 2002. He lives in Detroit. Greg Kowalski is a journalist and local historian. He is the author of two books on the city of Hamtramck and coauthor of one on art deco in Detroit. He lives in Hamtramck.

Details at: http://www.arcadiapublishing.c om/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Scre en=PROD&Store_Code=arcadia&Pro duct_Code=073854034X&Product_C ount=&Category_Code=

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 499
Posted From: 71.213.228.212
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, hopefully there will be some insider information to this truly remarkable and fascinating building.

I had the opportunity in February to walk unguided through the building which is incredibly huge and ornate. Within the building are room after room, bizarre corridors, strange 'chapter' rooms and chapels, many of which are hidden and mysterious.

This would be an unbelievable place to film a movie, DaVinci Code actually comes to mind. I'll definitely be ordering a copy, thanks for the heads up Kathleen.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

. . . but wait, there's more!

Also of interest to local history buffs are three other new titles at the same price from the same publisher's Images of America series . . . a bounty o' books:

* Detroit Sluggers: The First 75 Years by Mark Rucker, a longtime member of the Society for American Baseball Research. Available May 31.

* Selfridge Field by Deborah J. Larsen + Lt. Col. Louis J. Nigro. Available May 24.

* Jewish Ann Arbor by Richard + Ruth Adler. Available May 31.
1 2 3

Sluggers blurb says:

quote:

Ever since the city was granted its fi rst major-league team, the Wolverines in 1881, Detroit baseball fans have packed the parks to loyally cheer for their favorite sluggers at the plate. Big Dan Brouthers helped the Detroit ball club win its first National League pennant with 12 home runs, 101 RBIs, and a league-leading 153 runs scored in 1887. Twenty years later, a rookie named Ty Cobb, at the start of a hall-of-fame career, led the league in batting and the Tigers to three successive American League pennants. Hank Greenberg, Rudy York, and Al Kaline joined the ranks of Motor City sluggers in the coming decades who thrilled fans with the long ball in pennant race after exciting pennant race.

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=arcadia&Product_Code=0738539902&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

Selfridge blurb says:

quote:

Named to honor the memory of Lt. Thomas E. Selfridge, the first fatality of powered flight, Selfridge Field has recorded many aviation milestones since its founding in 1917. As home of the famed First Pursuit Group, the airfield saw the feats of such notables as Charles Lindbergh, Jimmy Doolittle, and Curtis LeMay. Scores of young aviators who passed through Selfridge’s gates later achieved the rank of general officer, earning the base the nickname “Home of the Generals.” Selfridge Field illustrates the history of the base, with many images drawn from the collections of the Selfridge Military Air Museum and Mount Clemens Public Library. The development of American airpower, from crude biplanes to the supersonic F-16 fighter, is depicted in the photographic record of this historic military airfield.

* Authors: Deborah J. Larsen is assistant director and local history librarian of Mount Clemens Public Library. Lt. Col. Louis J. Nigro is executive director of the Selfridge Military Air Museum.
Before retiring from the Michigan Air National Guard, Lieutenant Colonel Nigro served as an Operations Group and C-130 mission commander at Selfridge.

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=arcadia&Product_Code=0738540234&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

Jewish A2 blurb:

quote:

The earliest Jewish settlers arrived in Michigan during the mid-18th century. Primarily traders associated with the burgeoning fur industry, few of these entrepreneurs remained permanently. During the early 1840s, the five Weil brothers, farmers and tanners from Germany, became the first prominent Jewish settlers in Washtenaw County. By the end of that decade, a Jewish cemetery was established on what is now the site of the Horace Rackham Building on the University of Michigan campus. Though the Weil family eventually moved west, the cemetery remained as a marker for what was then a miniscule Jewish presence. In the early 20th century, Osias Zwerdling and the Lansky family arrived. In addition to reestablishing a Jewish presence in Ann Arbor, they helped form what became Beth Israel Congregation. Growth of the Ann Arbor Jewish community coincided with the evolution of the university, as well as the city. By the end of the 20th century, a vibrant community representing all facets of Judaism had been established.

Authors: Richard Adler is a professor of microbiology at the University of Michigan-Dearborn. Ruth Adler attends Kent State University, majoring in anthropology and geology.
The Adlers are members of Beth Israel Congregation, where Ruth was a bat mitzvah in 1997.

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=arcadia&Product_Code=0738540218&Product_Count=&Category_Code=

(Message edited by RealityCheck on May 19, 2006)

Kathleen

Post Number: 1324
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Realitycheck,

If you know anything about Arcadia, there's always more!!! In fact, I know of at least three more Detroit titles in the works that have not even been announced, and I'm sure there are many more underway as well. I just wanted to be sure that those especially interested in the Masonic Temple knew about this book. At $20 a pop, I myself have invested in a small fortune with about 20 of their Detroit and related titles in my home library!!!

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Kathleen. I have also created a small 'all things Detroit' library with these books. My most recent purchase was 'Detroit's Statler and Book Cadillac Hotels: The Anchors of Washington Boulevard'. Looking forward to getting the Masonic Temple book. Thanks for the information.

(Message edited by HYSTERIA on May 19, 2006)

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 327
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

. . . 'Detroit's Statler and Book Cadillac Hotels: The Anchors of Washington Boulevard'.

Me, I'm waiting for Detroit's Leo and Vaughn Derderian: The Anchors of Lafayette Boulevard and West Fort Street.'
http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=7671

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 749
Posted From: 68.76.202.10
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just also picked up a new Arcadia book: Detroit's Street Railways.

Decent.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3414
Posted From: 71.148.7.232
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had planned on doing an Arcadia and had been in contact with Maura Brown man many times....she then quit. They simply stopped contacting me. She loved the subject of my book and kept pushing. Guess it is shelved, plus I know no one will attempt the subject anyhow.

Hysteria

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you tell us what the subject of your book was going to be, Patrick?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3415
Posted From: 71.148.7.232
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd prefer not to lol...lets just say it required me using lots of pcitures from collections such as the Burton etc..I am not going to pay 50 bucks per image. Plus, the insisted that each image be vintage and not new.

Hysteria

Post Number: 279
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Understood!
joe cool

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2122
Posted From: 4.229.105.166
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait for a Detroit Movie Palace book...

K8cpachuck
Username: K8cpachuck

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 68.40.45.171
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mother and some of her friends went and saw Jimi Hendrix on one of his tours as "The Jimi Hendrix Expereince" with Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell. She left early because of the smell of the Pot was making her have a horrid headache... She also mentioned they were having problems with the sound system too.

My Mommy is such a hippy.... :-P or was... Now's she's a happy married housemaker, bossin' my old man around.. :D LOL!!!

(Message edited by k8cpachuck on May 20, 2006)

Carptrash
Username: Carptrash

Post Number: 1441
Posted From: 72.16.51.242
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real test [for me] is how the book will score on the Parducci Test.
The good news is that we grade on the curve.
eeeeek

Kathleen

Post Number: 1331
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eeeeek!! Don't make that curve too easy, though!
Earlier this week I was perusing through the "Italians in Detroit" book by Arcadia and did not see a mention of Parducci in the Arts chapter. I plan to take another look at this book to see if he is covered in other chapters covering buildings or churches.

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 69.14.92.85
Posted on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parducci should be mention alot he did much of the enterior art including the old elevators.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These, [if I can still remember how to upload} are rumored to be from CP's old elevators.

elevator at MT 1

elevator at MT 2

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Treble484
Username: Treble484

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 69.14.92.85
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thay look like the panels on the top of the cars enterior.

Carptrash

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Monday, May 22, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds reasonable.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.