Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Photo Du Jour - May 23 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5555
Posted From: 67.71.65.144
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is today's P.D.J.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4179
Posted From: 141.217.173.162
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even political corruption happens in the Windsor city " CLOWNSIL "

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 377
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

‘as more and more idiots feel the need to build stucco Garage-mahals out in what was a few years ago a cornfield, and as the unmitigated urban sprawl of the Windsor area continues to head eastwards us taxpayers need to fund roads for “them”.’

Fair enough, however if they don't build the new houses in the east end, they will build them in Puce, Essex, and Comber (which will eventually require road upgrades, etc.).

Windsor is starting to get into the incentives game when it comes to encouraging urban development on the western super anchor site -- maybe the city should use incentives to encourage more brown fields developments and infill projects in other parts of the city's core.

Blitz
Username: Blitz

Post Number: 172
Posted From: 72.139.243.118
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least that new enormous subdivision follows the grid system common to the rest of the city. Had that been built up here in London, it would be cul-de-sac craziness.

Windsor is one of the fastest growing cities in Canada right now, this growth increases the tax base and that's not a bad thing.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 378
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully the city will mandate that that the east end be developed on a grid -- like a city should.

South of Tecumseh Road is a spirally mess -- hopefully the northern part won't be as well.

Additionally, I hope future development will progress recognizing that those CN tracks should be removed in the next 5 to 10 years.

Blitz

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ They have indeed mandated the grid, actually the city has done a good job planning that area. There's going to be a lot of greenspace too. You can check out maps of the proposed subdivision on the city website.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 382
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Blitz, could you post a link to the above? The best I could find was the Little River Acres CIP. I don't think that is what you were referring to.

Blitz

Post Number: 174
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.citywindsor.ca/0017 33.asp

I recommend the "Full Colour Large Size City Street Map". The only street that isn't shown is the Wyandotte extension but it's easy to see how it will fit in.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Blitz.

Looking at that full colour map, I wonder if those railyards west of downtown will be removed if and when the intermodal facility is built at the airport.

Blitz

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope so but they might stay just because that line leads to the tunnel.

Looking at that map, there's really nowhere left to build in the city except in the newly amalgamated land near the airport. Even in the older parts of town, it seems like every last piece of land is being built upon these days.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Harris government's decision not to merge Windsor with its suburbs will certainly reduce the amount of sprawl in Windsor-proper. However, keeping new development in the area in check will be the responsibility of the numerous municipalities that make up Essex County. I know that Essex is supposed to get 400 new homes sometime soon.

As for the tracks, the line that goes to the tunnel runs next to Wellington (if I remember correctly). However, CP has a yard next to Crawford (this is where Tecumseh takes that jog). I wonder if the plan calls for the CP yard to be moved out to the airport as well. That would really be great for Windsor.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 126
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last I heard, construction on the extension is supposed to resume next month

Upinottawa

Post Number: 387
Posted From: 70.28.0.197
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Yupislyr.

In my opinion, it certainly makes sense to extend Wyandotte across the river. Hopefully, when the bridge is eventually extended to be 4 lanes, there is still room for a bike lane and sidewalks on both sides.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3849
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garage-mahals. Oh, so Canadian. Is that what Yanks call, "Mc Mansions?"

Your bridge to nowhere is lovely. Canadian infrastructure rocks! When they putting in the subway and the cross-Detroit River tram?

jjaba.

Blitz

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That new area is a mix of low, middle, and high income housing. There are a handful of McMansions but a lot of townhomes as well.

It would have been stupid not to build that bridge. Riverside Drive is becoming congested with traffic out there even though it's officially designated as a scenic road. This is the only way to get traffic off Riverside.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.