Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Madison-Lennox Site not Lighted, nor Landscaped « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 743
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After they tore down the Madison Lennox, I was more upset that the Illitches allowed the building to be "demolished by neglect".....then I was told that if they did have parking there it would be "landscaped and lighted".....the lot has neither, hell, it doesn't even have lines.....much less conform to the rules that are in place for new parking lots......I had also heard that because of this, they would not be using the lot for parking...and they haven't, until the last week or so, as I have seen more and more cars in the lot for every Tiger game, to the point that it is full for all of them now....Why do we have to put up with this as citizens of this community? What can be done to force them to live up to at least the bare minimum rules?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 512
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because we let them.... The powers that be don't want to "split hairs" and get into a cock fight with the Illitches... They don't see it as a worthy cause..

For every person on this forum who refuse to park in the lot due to the way they handle things, there are 100 more who don't care and just want to park there to have a short walk or "limited interaction" within the city.

It sucks...

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should burn that parking lot down... wait... no spray paint... wait... what can we do in protest to a parking lot???

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 607
Posted From: 192.122.250.250
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

... wait... what can we do in protest to a parking lot???

Build something on top of it?? Now that's an act of vandalism

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 513
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well.. being as though it was demolished against the law.. why can't we build on top of it lol...

Tit for tat...it would have to hover of the lot, what ever we build.. so it's not physically touching the lot ha ha

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1797
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060524/M ETRO/605240321

related article

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 495
Posted From: 172.167.99.103
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "landscaped and lighted" parking lot promoted by the Ilitch organization was part of their proposal to the Historic District Commission when they sought permission to tear down the building. The commission denied the permission. The city, not the Ilitch organization, then demolished the building based on the patently unsupported and false claim that it was a danger to the public health and safety.

Now, the beauty of this whole fiasco is that the Ilitch organization is not bound by the proposal it previously made to the Historic District Commission because the proposal was never approved. I don't know what requirements the city code imposes on parking lots but I'm sure that they are considerably less than what the commission would have imposed. The Ilitch organization gets to have its cake and eat it too. The building is gone and there are no expensive landscaping and lighting requirements to adhere to. It's kind of brilliant when you think about it. Mr. Meah, the director of the BSE department, must be a genius. The city is lucky to have him.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 587
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suggestion for some guerilla justice: surround the lot with yellow tape and print up a couple of hundred fake citations citing the Ilitch crew for assorted crimes against history and asundry blightification.....try and do this prior a "big game." I'm willing to bet a well-coordinated effort could get the tape set up with minimal interference from anyone.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 7450
Posted From: 198.208.159.19
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's sweep up all of the broken glass across the city and put it on this lot. :-)

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1155
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

im down with caseyc's idea...

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 68.248.33.49
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will say this, the paint job and new? Milner Hotel sign look great now that they are in full view. It's a shame about the Madison but the north side of the Milner looks nice.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 836
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that the Milner folks took initiative to spruce up their building, but it'd be better if we couldn't see the back of it because there was a building on the Madison lot.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 203
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about some attractive tire planters?

http://mercer.extension.psu.ed u/Agriculture/TirePlanter.htm

Getting rid of bulk trash and doing landscaping at the same time.
:-)

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1158
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe this was the site quicken was planing for? Illich seems to have some inside info on that deal...

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2962
Posted From: 68.73.198.135
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parcel is still under the jurisdiction of the HDC, because it falls within the historic district.

The commission was trying to force the Parking Cartel to follow the plans, but the family's Kwame Konnection trumped commission.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 233
Posted From: 209.104.144.90
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say this lot should be the designated dumping ground for all downtown dog owners.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 68.41.222.28
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

guess what, people like my father don't like to come down to the city and one of the reasons is difficulty finding parking. If this lot helps bring people into the city then it is worth the loss of an unimpresive abondoned building. If there are any other busted ass blown out beyond repair buildings like the madison lennox around the city i say TEAR THAT SCHITT DOWN!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3787
Posted From: 24.11.154.56
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please. Hard to find parking in downtown Detroit?! Look at an aerial photograph of downtown Detroit, and then come back and tell us that "there isn't enough parking," or that "it's too hard to find." lol Detroit is supposed to be an urban downtown area, not Southfield Town Center 2.0.

(Message edited by lmichigan on May 24, 2006)

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4894
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly. Are we talking about the same Detroit here? Parking isn't exactly a rarity. Is 7milekid just pissed off because his dad won't give him rides downtown?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2153
Posted From: 4.229.147.75
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7milekid... sounds like you need a subscription to THE NATIONAL TRUST magazine. It will may well dispel your jaded view of old buildings.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3789
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, who cares about old buildings when you can't find a place to park? :-) But, really, take even the historic preservation issue away, and it still doesn't make since to keep tearing down downtown.

7milekid

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love historic architecture, im a freakin history major! All im saying is that there might be ample parking for the things you and I do everyday but when it comes to big events it can be difficult to find for people not farmiliar to the city. The Madison Lenox was nothing but an eyesore, at least as a parking lot it brings some type of life to the city, instead of just sitting there as a massive brick hobo in the middle of an area that is trying to reinvent itself. I totally support the reuse of impressive old buildings such as the book cadillac, or if it was possible the train station on michigan avenue. But like the train station the madison lenox was a busted ass peice of garbage beyond repair not serving any purpose but a place for bums to sleep, junkies to get their fix, and haters to point at and diss Detroit. Its one thing to restore a great building to serve a purpose to the community, it is another thing just to keep an old building around for nostalgic reasons.

The_aram

Post Number: 4895
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've been downtown on days when there was a Tigers game, a Greek festival, and a festival in Hart Plaza, and parking was still readily available.

if you think there isn't enough parking out there, you're not looking hard enough.

7milekid

Post Number: 32
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its not about wether or not its hard to find,

Jt1

Post Number: 7483
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

its not about wether or not its hard to find,

And therein lies the issue. Most of the people on this forum live in Detroit or spend a large amount of time in Detroit. Contrary to the beliefs of so many Detroit is not just a location to see a Tigers game. The residents should not have to deal with a sea of parking lots ot appease people when there happens to be a festival and a sporting event on the same day.

People in SE Michigan are so detached from any type of city living. Name one major downtown where people bitch if they have to park more than a block away from the final destination?

Detroit is not a location of convenience for people that come for sporting events. Detroit is a city of 900,000 people working and living here everyday.

Should we bulldoze every home around Freedom Hill so there is more parking on the days when it is packed? Should we bulldoze homes around DTE so that people don't have to park in car pool lots.

Detroit and downtown Detroit is more than a parking lot for people going to a Tigers game. The fact that you seem to see it as a place of convenient parking for sporting events shows that you will not see eye to eye with people that work to make downtown better for the everyday citizen.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2646
Posted From: 66.167.210.191
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7mile, I think you are wrong too. I doubt if there is another big city where finding parking is easier than Detroit. I suspect that, in the country's most overweight metropolis, parking more than a block from destination is considered lack of parking.

As for the M-L, if it was an eyesore, why wasn't the negligent owner ticketed and fined? Why isn't the owner ticketed for other properties in their portfolio likewise in disrepair.

Instead the owner was given an interest free loan [read tax payer dollars to a person not in need of help] to destroy a historic structure. Now it turns out that the owner has not fulfilled the obligations of that loan.

As for protest, perhaps parking a few 'historic' cars [abandoned junkers] on the lot would make a point.

As for what could have been done with the M-L...

ML

7milekid

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JT1 you just like to disagree with everyone. im not saying we should appease everyone who wants to come down for a sporting event, but id rather see a parking lot being used by people coming into the city than a blown out carcass of an old hotel. Life= better than death. madison lennox hotel=death, parking lot=life, id rather have seen a new building take its place or if it would have been finacially or logically feasible to reuse the building, but no matter how much you all complain about it it wasnt so a parking lot it is until you can think of a better idea, or pony up the money to do something with the next building on the chopping block.

(Message edited by 7milekid on May 25, 2006)

7milekid

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell i always respect your opinion on this forum and i know that you are very knowledgeable about the city and the way it works, and you and i both know that being ticketed and fined has never solved any of the blight problems within the city of Detroit. As for the interest free loan that does aggrevate me and I think that since the owner has not fulfilled his obligations it would be right to protest his parking lot, however protesting becasue he knocked down a building is a waste of time.

Jt1

Post Number: 7484
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

JT1 you just like to disagree with everyone. im not saying we should appease everyone who wants to come down for a sporting event, but id rather see a parking lot being used by people coming into the city than a blown out carcass of an old hotel.

Yes and no. The issue that many forumers have is with the ytrack record of the Ilitch family. If the parking lot was temporary while they looked for development offers it would be completely understandable and seen as a short term solution.

The issue is that parking lots costs little to maintain and offer a constant revenue stream. Given the land that Ilitch and Olympia have as flat lots there is little belief that there will ever be a plan to develop these lots after they are turned into parking.

A parking lot as a band aid while looking for development would be happily greeted by, I'm guessing, most forumers. The track record of Ilitch and Olympia is that it will now be a parking lot for a long, long time and will become a wasted plot of land for the vast majority of days.

quote:

but no matter how much you all complain about it it wasnt so a parking lot it is until you can think of a better idea, or pony up the money to do something with the next building on the chopping block.

Therein lies the issue again. No amount of money would get that lot away from Ilitch. He simply will not entertain any proposals for development of that spot. Imagine if your neighbor paved over lots all around your house and refused to sell, develop or listen to offers by outside companies. If that happended you would appreciate the frustration that many of us express.

7milekid

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i understand your frustration over the way the illitch family conducts its buisness at times, but the illitch family is largely resposible for many of the truely great things that have been happening in Detroit over the past few years. When noone else wanted anything to do with the city, he came up with the cash to do some things. A parking lot is not a bad thing unless noone is using it, then its a problem.

Jt1

Post Number: 7487
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A parking lot is not a bad thing unless noone is using it, then its a problem.

I disagree but I doubt that we will ever agree on this issue. I guess perspective is often shaped by where you live and what you see on a daily basis.

The downtown can not improve if it is occupied by parking lot after parking lot. Aside from game days the M-L is completely empty.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1494
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

at least as a parking lot it brings some type of life to the city

Please explain how a lot containing parked cars constitutes "life".

7milekid

Post Number: 40
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cars dont drive themselves buddyboy

Danindc

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Especially when they remain static. Answer the question.

7milekid

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is my answer, what do you want from me. People drive cars, people=life. cars in city=people in city.

Danindc

Post Number: 1497
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So maybe we should just tear down ALL the buildings in Detroit so we can fit more cars, er people, er life, in the city? How does that tickle ya?

7milekid

Post Number: 45
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yea that makes a lot of sense doesnt it?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1544
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

observation...

You typically have to park as far from anywhere in Royal Oak as in Detroit. Seriously, have you tried to find a place in that town on a weekend? But I bet 7milekid's father goes to Royal Oak sometimes.

But the parking is no closer...

It's perception, not reality, that parking is further away in Detroit.

As far as the eyesore that was the M-L, if the Ilitches had redeveloped the building we wouldn't have needed to have this discussion. If the Ilitches didn't think the building was worth saving, they shouldn't have purchased it.

7milekid

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And then what!? It would have been a piece of garbage that was the citys resposiblity and they wouldnt have gotten the revnue that the illitchs paid for it in the first place. noone was going to redevelop that hunk of crap, im just so happy that its gone.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2966
Posted From: 136.181.195.17
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a load of shit, 7 Mile. There were 50 proposals into the Macedonian Parking Cartel, all of which they shit-canned without opening the envelope.

7milekid

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i like that, the macedonian parking cartel, thats pretty funny.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 686
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ilitch family is quite the conudrum. They do a lot of great things for the city, such as restore the Fox and turn it into a premier destination. Turn the Red Wings, and now Tigers, into winners. Winning teams bring a lot more fans and a lot more business downtown. Building Comerica Park, which is a great stadium, in the city when the last Tigers owner floated the idea of constructing a new stadium just outside of Ann Arbor. The Ilitch family also made the big annoucements in January about restoration of the Detroit Life Building, putting the big sign back on top of the Fox and trying to redevelop the United Artists and Fine Arts buildings. That's an impressive resume no matter how you slice it.

However, it always seems like its two steps forward and one big step back with the Ilitch family. They let the UA, Fine Arts, Detroit Life and Madison Lenox buildings rot, creating blight that takes away so much from downtown. Tearing down the ML, a beautiful and viable building, and not even saving the fascade was just the wrong move. It often seems like they're content with the demolition by neglect strategy to create more surface parking lots, another blight on the city. There has also been little to no visible work done on the UA, Detroit Life and Fine Arts buildings.

But so what? Other people do this all the time here. Forumers love to burn Mike Higgins in virtual effigy for exactly the same thing. But he's not nearly as loathed as Mike Ilitch here. The reason is that since the Ilitch family has done so much people expect a lot from them, and rightly so. If they really want to be the leader in a downtown resurgence they need to start consistently handling their projects like the Fox instead of the ML. There have been positive signs of this happening now, but I, like a lot of other forumers, am not holding my breath.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8479
Posted From: 67.71.57.39
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7milekid obviously doesn't know the facts surrounding the M-L.
Do some research before spouting off about what could and what would become of the M-L. Afterall, You are supposed to be a history major and with that subject choice you should be able to find loads of info on the subject. Or then again you may be failing.

Jt1

Post Number: 7489
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree and disagree.

quote:

But so what? Other people do this all the time here. Forumers love to burn Mike Higgins in virtual effigy for exactly the same thing. But he's not nearly as loathed as Mike Ilitch here. The reason is that since the Ilitch family has done so much people expect a lot from them,

I can't speak on behalf of the forum but I think a lot of the frustration comes from the fact that the local media has praised the Ilitch family as Saints and the saviors of Detroit while turning a blind eye to the buildings they let rot.

They have done a great deal of good and should be commended but they should get just as much negative attention for all fo the blight and neglect they cause in the city.

The constant praise of the Ilitch family is what frustrates me so much with the state of many of their buildings. The free pass on the negative has to end.

(Message edited by jt1 on May 25, 2006)

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1546
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can speak on behalf of the forum"
:-)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 689
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only one man can speak on behalf of the forum.

Jt1

Post Number: 7491
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite an error. Corrected and thanks for the heads up.

7milekid

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dear goat,
im not the one spouting off about what it could have and would have become. Im the one saying im happy of what it has become. And no im not failing

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1202
Posted From: 63.41.8.85
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might as well recycle this PS from way back.

7milekid

Post Number: 54
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the building in the middle is pretty sweet, but what was its purpose, was it abandoned, it must have been. I'm not trying to say that its ok to demolish a bunch of historic buildings for surface parking lots but im saying in the case of the madison lennox i think it was appropriate. You can talk about how many proposals there were to do something, but how many proposals have there been to do something with the train station, or the book cadillac which we are finally seeing some progress on after years and years of speculation. Like i have said about 15 times already, i would rather see a parking lot, than a rotted out corpse that may have been sitting there for another 15 years before something was done, then preserve it for nostalgic reasons. It wasnt even a very impressive building!

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 210
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the most incredible comeback stories of urban neighborhoods across the country and around the world, begin an small, incubational, incremental efforts. the adaptive reuse and preservation of formerly blighted properties are usually the crux and catalyst around which other efforts grow. often times buildings will be fallow for years... 15, 20, 30...or more. many examples have been brought up here before. it ain't about nostalgia, it's about humanity and reestablishing a connection to an urban continuum that parking lot solutions can't even begin to address. it's not about the past 7mi, it's much more about the future. we shouldn't save everything, but we have so much precedent and best practice modeling to work from that suggests parking lot land banking is not the way to realize true urbanity it's ridiculous.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 497
Posted From: 172.129.168.232
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said detour. You should be stating the obvious, but, for far too many folks your thoughts are a revelation. We're doing better, but it will be a long time before we can stop the drumbeat.

The_aram

Post Number: 4896
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also, once and for all, can we just clear up one simple fact?

Madison-Lenox, people. One N, -not- two.

The_aram

Post Number: 4897
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway, glad to see you're reusing my Sharon McPhail campaign Baghdad Bob image. an oldie, but a goodie.

"There is nothing to see here! Sharon is still in control! Who is this Freman Hendrix? I have never heard of him. Is he a candidate for Mayor?"

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1687
Posted From: 69.212.225.151
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Like i have said about 15 times already, i would rather see a parking lot, than a rotted out corpse that may have been sitting there for another 15 years before something was done, then preserve it for nostalgic reasons.

I can say that I'm secretly married to Britney Spears, but that doesn't change anything.

The fact of the matter is that the Ilitches were the reason why the M-L was sitting vacant for so long. As Ham_Steve pointed out, there were several offers put on the table for the building - including one that was backed by $24 million.

The M-L could've been saved, creating jobs and tax revenue in the process.

But hey - jobs, tax revenue - what kind of a city needs things like those?

Gistok

Post Number: 2157
Posted From: 4.229.72.109
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The building in the middle is pretty sweet..... it wasn't even a very impressive building."

HUH???

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 307
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox Sports Detroit has been running some show hosted by Bill Bonds on the story of the Illitch's.

Anyone seen it?

On the part about restoring the Fox, Illitch makes it clear that he wasn't interested in the FOX from the start, and that the only reason he bought and restored it, was because the family lost like 90% of it's concert revenue after Davidson declined moving the Piston's to the Joe and built the Palace.

So when people bring up how he's so wonderful in restoring the FOX, just remember it was a decision based solely on money. That's what he's about - making money, or should I say, keeping himself and his family rich.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3399
Posted From: 68.79.123.54
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if he would have done the restoration of the Fox, if he didn't get the $10,000,000 interest-free loan from the City.

To their credit it was paid off early, but that was a helluva a lot of money in a high interest era.

(Message edited by JamS on May 25, 2006)

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 507
Posted From: 71.213.228.212
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, to get back to the topic of the thread, is the HDC powerless to get Ill-itch to properly landscape, fence and light this lot? Other lots in the Harmonie Park district all seem to at least have iron fences.

Would pressure from David DiChera/MOT and the DAC do any good in maybe shaming the MPC to at least help in beautifying this critical and visible part of town?

Gistok

Post Number: 2160
Posted From: 4.229.72.109
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilitch pissed off DiChiera and MOT when he refused to provide parking spots for MOT patrons when the new parking deck was replacing the old. MOT got the city's help by getting GCP underground parking commitments.

I assume that Ilitch was none too pleased with MOT because that new parking structure may siphon off some of his parking revenue.

Also, I bet Ilitch is none too pleased with the fact that the Detroit Opera House has the largest stage in Michigan.... and they get shows that the Fox's stage is too small to handle.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10124
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So when people bring up how he's so wonderful in restoring the FOX, just remember it was a decision based solely on money.

Yeah, because MOST business investors do what is best for the community with ZERO concern whether they make money or not. riiiiiiiight

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.43.117.118
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then lets piss of Ilitch and leave the M-L lot empty on Tiger game days and park in the new MOT deck. At least you know the money is going somewhere worthwhile.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2968
Posted From: 68.255.233.71
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So, to get back to the topic of the thread, is the HDC powerless to get Ill-itch to properly landscape, fence and light this lot?

That question can only be answered down at the CAY Municipal Building.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3796
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that's the case, he better camp outside the CAY Municipal Building for the next couple of weeks, as answers never come quickly (or at all) from that place.

Gistok

Post Number: 2169
Posted From: 4.229.3.4
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all those who wonder what the near-term future of the Madison-Lenox site has to offer, one need look no further than across the street from the Fox Theatre. The Ilitch's own the whole stretch of Woodward from Central Methodist Church on GCP all the way up to St. John's Church on the Fisher Service Drive.

That nearly 3 block stretch has remained nothing but parking lots for the last 7 years, and probably will be so for a long time to come. To have that kind of use for a 3 block Detroit's main street speaks volumes about the Mr. Ilitch's intentions (there aren't any).

In the past the Detroit Free Press has used 2 terms to describe Mike Ilitch. One was "flawed brilliance", and the other related to the real estate holdings downtown.... "benign neglector".

Seeing how Mr. Ilitch has had health issues, and is in his 70's, I guess we will have to wait until the next generation of Ilitch's come to real power.

Although Chris Ilitch seems to have his fathers penchant for a lack of historic preservation, perhaps once the parents are gone Denise and Atanis will have a greater say in the family business.

But therein lies another problem. Although Mike has had health issues, Marion (the power behind the throne) shows no such problems, and could easily be around for another 20 years. Only time will tell.

P.S. I am in no way hoping for the demise of either Mike or Marion. Just looking at the future.

The_aram

Post Number: 4901
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're going to be surprised about some of the things to come out of the Ilitch camp in the next year or so if the rumors out there are true. There will be some action behind the Fox, supposedly. The new guard is not as anti-preservation as you may think.

Gistok

Post Number: 2171
Posted From: 4.229.3.4
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you're right Aram. There is so much potential in their remaining inventory of buildings and land.

I wonder if the SuperBowl was a wakeup call for them. Owning all those empty buildings near the SuperBowl may have been slightly embarrassing for them, especially in lieu of all the pressure that other empty building owners downtown got from the city et al.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1081
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you'll ever see any new buildings go up on those parking lots across from the Fox, because Ilitch wants a clear, unobstructed view of Comerica Park from Woodward Avenue. Want some subtle proof? The Detroit Tigers' address is 2100 Woodward Ave. It should be 2100 Witherell, but it's Woodward. (And how did the Tigers even manage to get the city to give them that address?)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3774
Posted From: 66.208.233.74
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They probably have a mail box on one of the parking attendant booths...

As a baseball fan, I think they'd goofed not building the stadium along Woodward. Walking to the stadium (be it from car or residence) thorough a parking lot lacks something that Tiger Stadium had and Cleveland stills has with Jacobs Field. Maybe that’s a taste issue.

If you've never made the trek to Cleveland for a baseball game, do it. Jacobs Field is a bona fide gem of a ballpark. Knowledgeable baseball fans that practice good ballpark etiquette as well. memo to Comerica Park ticket holders: STOP WALKING UP AND DOWN THE F%&$ING IASLES WHY THE GAME IS BEING PLAYED! Seriously you can wait for a third out to go get you phallic alcholic slurpee drink.

That last part is a little off topic...sorry.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2971
Posted From: 68.73.59.206
Posted on Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only way the Tigers organization could think to have some construction fronting Woodward would have involved demolishing one or both churches.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 68.61.11.146
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7milekid, When was the last time you went downtown? And when was the last time you went downtown for something other than a sporting event? Or if you have been to a sporting event downtown, hopefully you have supported a couple of buisnesses downtown besides PARKING?

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 12.15.7.70
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 9:46 am:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
We should burn that parking lot down... wait... no spray paint... wait... what can we do in protest to a parking lot???

I say we rent Jackhammers and destroy it just like illitch has all of these great buildings

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 69.222.98.86
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have started tearing up the lot for the landscaping. They are supposedly putting in bushes and flowerslike the Columbia/Woodward lots.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.