Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Mick Collins To Host New Show On WDET « Previous Next »
Mick Collins and WDETChandyside05-29-06  11:02 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsocks2002
Username: Mrsocks2002

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 68.255.241.217
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET LAUNCHES NIGHT TRAIN WITH MICK COLLINS ON JUNE 3

Legendary Detroit Musician To Host Saturday Night
Music Program On Detroit Public Radio

DETROIT - May 24, 2006 - Detroit Public Radio is proud to welcome renowned musician Mick Collins to the WDET microphones with a new program, Night Train, that debuts on Saturday, June 3 from 7pm to 9pm. For music fans worldwide, Collins work with The Gories, The Dirtbombs and other projects is the epitome of Detroits rock and roll spirit. Collins brings his expansive knowledge of all genres and eras of music to WDET for the weekly musical journey, Night Train.

According to Collins, "Using the metaphor of a train journey, the basic idea behind the show is to give listeners four musical 'destinations, some familiar and others not so familiar, consisting or either a genre or an artist (i.e., 'Tonight's destinations: Exotica, Pere Ubu, Joe Williams, or Roberta Flack'), or a specific place and time (e.g. 'Detroit, 1961', or 'Philadelphia, 1971'), or even a concept ('Freedom Music' or 'Southern big-horn funk bands')."

Collins has been a fan of WDET for decades and credits many WDET music hosts past and present with helping him expand his musical knowledge and interests. His two-hour weekly program Night Train (Saturdays 7pm - 9pm) celebrates the long tradition of inspired, one-of-a-kind music programming on Detroit Public Radio.

When we were looking for a Saturday night host, I thought about WDETs long history of opening its doors to musicians and artists of all types and letting them explore their musical interests in ways that go beyond what they do in a recording studio or concert stage, said Allen Mazurek, WDET Program Director. Because of his musical interests, and given his place in Detroits music history, Micks was one of the first names that came to mind.

Night Train with Mick Collins will air Saturdays, from 7pm to 9pm beginning June 3, 2006 on WDET 101.9FM and online at wdetfm.org
###

WDET is a community service of Wayne State University

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 745
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big deal. A two-hour radio show once a week...

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5919
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<---probably not alone in seeing the irony

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3078
Posted From: 129.137.178.41
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope they do a Podcast as well.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3759
Posted From: 63.164.145.198
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael Coleman has a hard-on for BIG NAMES. One of the reasons I was on the lay-off list is because Coleman and Harvey Ovshinsky wanted to clear room to give Noah Ovshinsky (i.e. son of Harvey) a job. Ovshinsky is a BIG NAME in Michael Coleman's embezzling world. Actually that's not my theory but a theory of my former co-workers still at WDET. Time will tell if it is true.

Ten years of dedication and solid ratings from Jon Moshier and it's we're broke, there's the door...moderately famous person WELCOME ABOARD!, how much should we pay you.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 321
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mick has pretty great record collection. Can't wait to hear his show.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk: Radio folk get fired all the time, especially when formats change. Get over it! Spent a dozen years in commercial broadcasting, but again never got fired.

There's better things to do. So, move on to another life...

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah much though I agree Jon Moshier got the shaft (I notice, btw, they still are using his underwriting voiceover spots, which is pretty disgusting), I am excited to hear Mick. The Dirtbombs are one of Detroit's best bands, especially live.

Does this mean Gene Elzy is out?

Jelk

Post Number: 3760
Posted From: 66.208.233.74
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting fired for not performing as well as you used to is one thing, it can be a rough business. Getting fired by a convicted embezzler who runs a public radio station like a plantation is another.

That's the breaks I guess but that doesn't mean I can't use my free time to be a giant thorn in Michael Coleman's ass (insert joke about free meals at the Aut Bar here...) every step of the way.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10112
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Diary....

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 610
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, are you saying that Ovshinsky was/is involved in embezzling, too?

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mick is a god. i wish him the best. i wont be missing this show.

Jelk

Post Number: 3762
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No but I think he was very much involved in Michael Coleman's purging of the WDET staff.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 71.154.54.169
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, the way you phrased your comment regarding Ovshinsky implied something that you might not have meant. Hard to tell.

Jelk

Post Number: 3763
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well I won't lose any sleep if you think the worse of Ovshinsky because of my phrasing. The guy is an absolute slug. Coleman is also a slug...a slug convicted of embezzling.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 602
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, May 24, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You'll get over it Jelk. A very good friend of mine was 'invited to leave' two local pub rad stations. Format change. Finished his show, station mgr was waitin' outside, took his key and said 'adios'...that was at one station. The other station mgr bought him lunch before dropping the Guillotine, lol...it took a while but he's fine with it, now.
If you really want to stay in radio, have a passion for it, you'll keep trying, and if you have any talent you may well succeed.
"Accentuate The Positive"...

(Message edited by jimg on May 24, 2006)

(Message edited by jimg on May 24, 2006)

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 24.199.98.157
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is very lucky to get someone like Mick Collins broadcasting on WDET. To get someone of Mick's stature and taste on a station with DET's signal here in New York? Ha, no waay. Whatever the politics, whatever the question, this is a great answer. Even if it's only for two hours a week, it is so cool to hear Detroit radio still has enough guts to bring this man to the microphone.
Congrats Mick, WDET, and Detroit.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2644
Posted From: 66.167.210.191
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No but I think he was very much involved in Michael Coleman's purging of the WDET staff."

What do you know?
What don't you know?
Only then:
What do you think?

It helps little to call some one a slug when you are acting on what you think. When you burn bridges with someone you dislike you often end up burning bridges with others you don't know yet.

Get over it. Move on. You're young, you're bright, you'll do just fine.

You are in a scaffold industry and you know it. As noted above, this happens all the time in this industry. Ask a talent like David Newman. Hey even ask Steve Wilson.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2742
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess some is better than none. Is this a bone to appease the disgruntled public? Maybe, but a bone is better than nothing at all when the dogs are scratching outside the door.

Supersport

Post Number: 10114
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,

Seriously, why are you even into radio? You are a shoe in for a career politician. From my understanding, that seemed to be your intent early on while attending school out east. You are into reading like no other, keep up on both world and national politics, are a natural fillabuster, and seem to always wanna be "in the know." You never came across as a radio personality to me, you seem like a younger version of Ted Kennedy to me.

JELK FOR CITY COUNCIL!

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 915
Posted From: 66.184.29.148
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Supersport

you seem like a younger version of Ted Kennedy to me.

Minus the booze, car crashes, dead girls and the uber connected family.

Supersport

Post Number: 10116
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheap beers and a preppy school gotta count for something.

Jelk

Post Number: 3764
Posted From: 69.208.123.134
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, it is my firm belief that a man is judges by not only the bridges he builds but also the bridges he burns. H.L. Mencken has a wonderful comment about this subject, perhaps I shall dig it up, as he is far more eloquent than I.

As for proof, as soon as I get a response from Wayne State to my FOIA request, I'll furnish you proof. Until then I can only provide my opinion (carefully labeled as such, for you to choose to believe or not believe) based upon my experiences inside WDET. There are many questions left unanswered about what happened at WDET these past few months and in addition to ranting about it, I fully intend to apply my trade to exposing those rats for what they are.

As a local veteran journalist told me, it has been very tough to get any kind of information out of WDET about anything lately. As Justice Brandeis once said, "sunlight is the best disinfectant.” Until WDET becomes the transparent organization Michael Coleman promised he would make it when he was hired, I have no choice but fill in this story's gaps with my best guesses based upon what I saw first hand and the considered opinions of my former co-workers.

I wonder though, you seem to have no problem with baseless claims that Mildred Gaddis is a man yet you are worried that my opinion about Harvey Ovshinsky is an opinion? Is he an old friend, business associate, potential business associate? I ask because if my final few months at WDET has taught me anything, is that few people merit trust.

As for politics, thank you no. If you cut my IQ in half, I would still be too smart for elected office. Politics was my intention long ago but I quickly decided I would rather pester the crooks than be one. Who knew I'd end up at a public radio station run by a bona-fide, duly adjudicated crook!

Supersport

Post Number: 10119
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was unaware that reading news and doing interviews required such a high IQ. Learn something new everyday!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 843
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Jelk is gunning for Sonny Elliot's job with all of those "As Kenny from Tippacanoe once said..." quotes he's had lately...

:-)

(Message edited by susanarosa on May 25, 2006)

Supersport

Post Number: 10120
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how Jelk disappeared for a long while, taking off to Hotfudge land, only to return here when he had an agenda. Hell, over there I am told they'll even help you with your resume.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 760
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm having a hard time understanding the lack of sympathy for Jelk's predicament here. Why should he just leave a job he obviously loves? I think he is trying to make it better.

Jelk

Post Number: 3765
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will, sterling fellows. I am here with an agenda. What's your purpose?

And Susanarosa, I'm not smart enough to be the next Sonny Eliot. From what I've been told, he's one of the smartest, well-read people you'd ever meet. Maybe if he wasn't so well read he could get one of them high paying automotive jobs like Supersport.

(Message edited by Jelk on May 25, 2006)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 973
Posted From: 70.141.77.196
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,

I'm curious, were you a union member at WDET?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 752
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport: "You are a shoe in for a career politician."

Oh no! Not another shoo-in eggcorn! Must be catching...

Jelk

Post Number: 3766
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No my position was classified as a technician as such I was unable to join the union, though I would have if I could. "Technicians" are not only non-union but not entitled to health, retirement, and "fringe" benefits. Regardless of the obvious benefits, it seems just good manners to be part of the organization that founded your employer. But as I said, I wasn't allowed.

Wayne State kept several full-time employees in that role for years. One person was stuck in that employment status for seven years before he gave up on WDET and went looking for work elsewhere.

In this aspect of the WDET situation, I place the blame upon my shoulders and the other technicians. There was no reason, no track record for any of us to believe we would have a square chance at a fully vested "staff" position. Despite that, there we were being led down the primrose path.

What really burns my ass is that Wayne State/Coleman is using this clever distinction to deny they even laid off me and another employee.

Their claim of laying off four employees is a flat out lie. There were six lay-offs. Four "staffers" and two technicians. One was a part-timer but I have pay stubs up the wahzoo to prove I gave 40 hours a week for a year and 35 hours a week four the six months prior. Additionally, several full time staffers became part-time staffers.

Oh yeah and a board op with less time at WDET was kept on while I was let go. Why is that? Well my best guess as to why is two-fold: either I was let go so Harvey Ovshinsky and Michael Coleman could clear a path for Noah Ovshinsky or I was let go because I spoke my mind in staff meetings, particularly about Wayne State's ham-fisted response to recent controversies at WDET. Case in point Irv Reid's refusal to make a statement of support about WDET and the way we conducted business.

My gut tells me there is truth in both reasons.

(Message edited by Jelk on May 25, 2006)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 753
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you're "special" and need to have "cradle-to-grave" employment while those in the private sector routinely lose their jobs due to setbacks in their industries?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I got "laid off" I sat in bars all day and screamed at my boss's face everytime it was on tv.

I guess we all grieve in our own ways.

Jelk

Post Number: 3767
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you have me confused with some sort of quasi-French public radio stereotype conjured up by Tailergunner Sean Hannity. I hope that reference isn't too obscure for you.

To the contrary, I believe that if WDET's fiscal situation is as dire at Michael Coleman claims, I have my doubts, but if their is in deed a $150,000 no wait $300,000 no wait $400,00 deficit then I think the people who should have been cut first were those not doing their jobs. That starts with Michael Coleman. The station has been without a Development Director for six months. Perhaps if Coleman got off his convicted ass and hired a chief fund-raiser for the station over the winter, none of these lay-offs would have been necessary.

But he didn't so the station had to make cuts. Fine, market forces and all, but start with Coleman. Clearly, he didn't do his job as Station Manager properly, that's way, in large part, WDET is in this mess. By cutting the six of us, WDET lost six employees who earned their money, who provided value to their employer. By not cutting the dead weight (i.e. Coleman) first, WDET created market inefficiency. Surely, you've gotten that far in your study of free market economic theory, Livernoisyard?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 754
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rightly or wrongly, Harrington lost his starting slot. He got credit ("class act" was often cited) for not bad-mouthing the team, which is all too common these days. He moved on. That's free-market economics in action.

All you'll gain is a bad reputation in an industry that is already failing into economic obsolescence. Think about your next position and heed Lowell's advice.

A recent poll indicated that only a small minority of teenagers or young adults could name the four major TV networks. There are so many alternatives nowadays over noncommercial FM. Consider the weakness, jobwise, in "your" industry.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 813
Posted From: 136.1.1.101
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Arbitron ratings go up for WDET recently? More people are listening to WDET? Sounds like Coleman is doing an awful job.

Jelk

Post Number: 3768
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice non sequitur Livernoisyard. Clearly, you don't understand free market economics as you give yourself credit for.

As for the politics of bad-mouthing my former employer fuck it, I'm telling the truth. That's my job as a reporter and if I kept my mouth shut and "played ball" with WDET in this situation then I don't think I could honestly take on politicians, business and labor leaders, activists, cranks, and assorted other newsmakers in my next job.

Should I give Michael Coleman and Harvey Ovshinksy a pass, I wouldn't give Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling to enrich myself?

As for the ratings boost, WDET went from a 1.3 to a 1.5 rating. Modest improvement largely due to the foresight of Program Director Allen Mazurek. Sadly, Coleman seems to be listening to Mazeruk less and less. So I don't expect the ratings to go much higher.

The next fun test will be the "special" June on-air fund-raiser. After coming $250,000 short of the $700,000 (more or less) goal in Spring it will be fun listening to WDET try and raise their $300,000 June pledge drive goal. Hell it'll be fun to see if they can even get $100,000.

East_detroit

Post Number: 612
Posted on Sunday, May 28, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,

I guess the honest question is... why didnt you state any of this online before you were laid off? Or did you?

Jelk

Post Number: 3775
Posted From: 68.42.65.36
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because I am a loyal employee. I speak my mind inside staff meetings but I don't think it is appropriate to go airing your employers dirty laundry. Now once they cut me loose well then I'm a free agent and I'll say whatever the hell I want.

Supersport

Post Number: 10135
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How long can we expect you to cry about this? Jams never started up a thread like this, even after you and others found the need to mock him for losing his job and help him with his resume. I'm finding this hilarious as hell how you react in the same situation. As if any of us really care about how or why you are in the situation you are in, or even who they brought in to replace you.

So let me ask, is it as funny as it was when you were jumping all over Jams, or did it lose a little humor when it hit home? What goes around comes around eh?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 69.218.77.180
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please stop prompting Jelk to elaborate, elucidate, or otherwise reply in any way. We all have our opinions and wishes regarding WDET. Obviously, some people are interested in the new show, although it has become naught but a footnote on this thread. One thing is absolutely for sure, as regards Jelk's message: WE ALL F***ING GET IT.

East_detroit

Post Number: 613
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, thanks for the honest response.

The mood at WDET isnt the greatest right now. The pledge drive will be interesting.

Jelk

Post Number: 3776
Posted From: 68.40.111.105
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one made fun of Jams for losing his job. We made fun of him for complaining endlessly that dive bars only hire "chicks" which would be a little like me complaining I can't get a job in TV. Tough shit. And no making fun of Jams will never lose it's humor.

As for complaining about losing my job, you've missed the point. I wouldn't be wasting my time complaining about losing a job. In fact I never brought this up on this discussion board or any other discussion board until Coleman was CONVICTED of embezzlement.

What I hope I am doing is providing a first person account about how poorly a non-profit organization is being run. By being laid-off I was given a platform to do so and I'm using it. What happened to me, to John Moshier and seven other people (six us us laid off, three demoted to part-time) is an object lesson in what is to come at WDET. Feel free to believe me or not believe me. If you use that information come pledge drive fine. If not, fine as well. This of course is not an issue for Supersport as WDET doesn't play Lynard Syknard, Kid Rock, or 50 Cent so he's never really listened anyway. He's never been much for reading books so take a simpleton's opinion for what it is.

I'm sorry this isn't as interesting to supersport as power washing a dog or making fun of Asian co-workers. I'm sure you'll be able to amuse yourself by getting piss drunk at a Tigers game and not understanding what happened when a batter misses a bunt on a suicide squeeze play. Or blogging about things your "friends" told you in confidence.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3424
Posted From: 69.219.119.68
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,
I stand by my contention.

If I post something on a public forum, I'm fair game to a response.

Conversations in a bar or anywhere else are not.
Particularly when the person was not directly involved in the conversation and just overheard what was being said. As happened in my case

I respect your off-line privacy, as I do others, I would expect the same in return.

Supersport

Post Number: 10137
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what exactly would you say your goal is now? Obviously you don't intend to move on. So is it safe to assume that because of your bitterness towards a former employer that you hope to affect their fund raising campaign so that inevitably the station fails?

I suppose that would be quite the claim to fame to include on a resume looking for work in the industry eh? God man, bury the hatchet and move on.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5981
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Jelk, it's been a whole week. I don't understand why you can't let go of the past.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1823
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Jelk I take it you won't be listening to Mick Collins on Saturday nights.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1259
Posted From: 84.162.2.158
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is hard for people to hear the truth sometimes. There is corruption in business and sometimes the only way to get the attention of the public is to scream your ever loving head off. People who move on and do nothing from a situation that they know is criminal, are just as bad as the criminals themselves. Those people are only interested in self preservation and could care less that the same thing could happen to another employee. Scream on Jelk.

Jelk

Post Number: 3777
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is not so much for Sport, as I do not believe he has the appropriate mental faculties to understand, but for anyone else who may think Sport is on the mark.

Sport seems to think my postings on this board are the main focus of my life. Clearly, he is making the mistake of confusing me with himself.

Actually, the main focus of my time right now is sending out resumes and air checks. But radio and journalism are tough businesses. One must be patient for the opportunity to choose you. That means I have some free time. Yes, I am spending part of that free time throwing stones at the rat bastards currently in charge of my former employer. So there is no confusion the rat bastards are Steve Brown, Michael Coleman, Marla Stone, and Harvey Ovshinksy. I continue to hold pretty much everyone else at WDET in the highest regard.

So don't worry about me, as I do not have 76 anti-WDET t-shirts hanging in my closet. What's my goal? Only to vent. I have no illusions of taking down the joint. I've heard from folks on the inside that WDET has been reading my internet scribbling and if that means the rat squad is sweating more than the rest of us right now, all the better.

Merchant, I probably will listen to Mick Collins on Saturday nights from time to time although, I must confess, WDET won't be appointment listening for me again until their train-wreck on a summer pledge drive. Talk about torn, on one hand I'll be laughing my ass off at the disaster Wayne State and Coleman have created but on the other hand I will be sad knowing friends and former co-workers will have to wade through that shit. I mean that about my former colleagues sincerely.

As for Jams...go fuck yourself. Seriously. You are a bore. Worse than just being a bore, you have the horrible ability to walk into a room and make it boring.

You try to decide what the rules should and shouldn't be. What I heard and how and when and where it should be transmitted. Maybe you should post those same rules for your "friends" you have (repeatedly) said "I ran into Jams last night, he wouldn't shut up about bars only hiring chicks blah, blah, blah it ruined the night)."

I don't think you understand that no one gives two flying fucks about your opinions of what is and isn't proper. The HotFudge crew loves to kick you in the teeth because you tried to play that card with them, they called bullshit, and you didn't know what the fuck to do. Typical baby boomer shit.

Let's rehash the most comical of your attempt to take them on, your implied threat to a certain bartender that you were going to sue Andy for libel. Over on Hot Fudge someone coined the term "girl’s knowledge of sports" for a big sports fan ignorant of everything but a couple players’ names. I'm coining a variation on that phrase: DetroitYES knowledge of libel law. That's what you've got and when you broached the subject and once again, they kicked your teeth in.

So you want to try to dictate your little rules to me, fine but don't expect me to care you boring old man.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3428
Posted From: 69.212.126.158
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk,
So f'ing what, I know what I said to people and what I've seen things I have said OFFLINE that have been misrepresented.

Sorry, I'm a boomer, it had nothing to do with me as to the date of my birth. I may be old in your eyes, but I do not have the bitterness towards humankind that you exhibit by your posts.

In my studies in journalism, I was taught to examine both sides of an issue objectively, obviously you skipped those classes.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4907
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In my studies in journalism, I was taught to examine both sides of an issue objectively, obviously you skipped those classes.

And you skipped the classes on libel.

Can we just call it even and move on? I mean, there's secret forum picnics to discuss.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2671
Posted From: 66.167.210.191
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez Jelk, when you're in a hole stop digging my friend. Climb out of it.

Why waste your time passing out the verbal hurt? It might take a load off your chest, but what potential employer would be impressed with what you have written on this thread?

Now you have let this spill over on to Jams and others who have nothing to do with WDET.

Let it go. Move on. You're young, you're bright, you'll do well.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 202
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same potential employer that is impressed by Rasputin's thoughts, that's who.

Supersport

Post Number: 10144
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I am sure that the employees over at WDET are just hanging on Jelk's every word. Way to uncover the REAL story after the fact.

quote:

I think he was very much involved in Michael Coleman's purging of the WDET staff.

So just to clarify, you feel that the people in charge should not be allowed to hire and fire people of their choice? That purging of the staff to make way for new people is criminal or something?

My first job outta college my contract was being terminated, two days prior I had accepted another position at Ford and was about to give my notice. My time at Ford I saw the writing on the wall, I got out while the getting was good. All my friends that stayed, holding out hope, were let go about a year ago. Neither time did I share my bitterness on here about either company. Not even when I was overlooked for a top position at Ford when Jaque Nasser was let go and some relative of the family, Bill Ford, was brought in. I didn't complain during the 3 layoffs during my time there, as it's simply part of the corporate world. If I lost my job tomorrow I wouldn't lose sleep over it, nor would come on here and vent. It's part of the real world, the way things are, just like coruption in companies. Yet here you are, even going so far as to compare some alleged imbezzling of a few thousand dollars to the Enron situation. Seriously man, a few dj's at a radio station and a few bucks that disappeared from an employer aren't even on 99% of societies radar.

You say you wish your friends still at WDET the best of luck, that your intentions are not to try and bring them down, yet what exactly do you think the impact from you allegations will be when fundraiser time rolls around? I can't imagine it being very beneficial to your friends, nor to WDET, but at least you feel better I guess.

Perhaps spending some more time online making fun of Jams, myself, and people with "girl's knowledge of sports," will make you feel better. It tends to work for most juviniles.

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1264
Posted From: 84.162.61.189
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a note about Jelk's future employers...He goes by an alias here, not his real name. Who is going to tell his potential employers who this mysterious "Jelk" might be? There seems to have been more than one person let go by his recent employer, and who knows if this Jelk person is actually one of those people or just someone ranting? Who can actually prove his identity to these potential employers? Jelk, vent all you want...sometimes people need to hear it, and if you don't want to hear it, don't read anymore of his/her posts.

East_detroit

Post Number: 616
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5 days of on-air fundraising begins at WDET on Tuesday, June 20.

SS, did you drive your 5.0 Liter Eater to work at Ford?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8514
Posted From: 67.71.57.39
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport, you spelled juvenile wrong. : )

Jelk

Post Number: 3778
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael Coleman was not alleged to have committed “imbezzlment.” Well maybe someone alleged that although I’m not familiar with the crime of “imbezzlment.” Coleman was, in point of fact, not simply charged with but convicted of embezzlement. Coleman had the right to the presumption of innocence, the right to face his accusers at trial, the right to attorney to assist him in his defense (he had a good one I am told) but at the end of the day Coleman through up his hands and said, “no contest, you’ve got me.” He allowed himself to be convicted without even fighting the charges. That’s pretty damn telling, I must say…

Sport and I have some mutual friends who work, or have worked, in the non-profit world. Maybe he should ask them if these kinds of things “happen all the time” or if they take liberties with their organizations resources that Michael Coleman did. Dollars to doughnuts the answer would be no to both questions. Our mutual friends are honest brokers. Most people running non-profits are honest. There have been some prominent case where the opposite was true (Michael Coleman’s tenure at WUOM for instance) but that’s the exception not the rule.

In any case all this business has certainly managed to upset poor Sport something fierce. It is interesting that he has probably listened to public radio as often as he has voluntarily read books. Why is he so interested suddenly in this discussion? He’s jealous, I think. Absurd as that sounds.

He is jealous because my discussions about WDET matter to some people. Not because I’m someone terribly significant but because there is a dedicated minority of people who care about WDET or who did and hope to again.

For whatever that is worth, not much too me. I’ve made my intentions very clear time and time again. I’m not venting because I was laid off. I was laid off and there for I am now free to vent. It relaxes me from my efforts and finding a new job and if it provides a few current/former WDET listeners with a little illumination all the better.

Supersport lacks the intellectual sophistication to understand the difference in motives. All he sees (or thinks he sees) is the attention this has created. And it is exactly the attention he so desperately craves.

Poor Supersport is a lot like the can’t-miss baseball prospect who doesn’t stick in the bigs, the Todd Van Poppel of essayists. He has all the tools and all the desire to say something important but as hard as he tries, his fastballs miss the plate, his curveball hangs, and his breaking stuff couldn’t fool a blind man. All he’s got to show for is efforts are five paragraph essays about Boston and dogs so easily mocked by people he calls “friends” because they once drank in the same bar

Well that’s part of it. The rest of this sad tale is that deep down when he’s alone with his own demons; Supersport knows that for all his “keepin’ it real in Detroit ghettos” rhetoric he is just another boobeoisie, a card-carrying Ignoramus Americanus.

Sport would heed his good friend Lowell’s gutless warning that it might hurt future job prospects. Funny didn’t Lowell, after doling out his condescending ‘play safe’ advice to me, turn around and blather on about not crawling on one’s knees for corporate America elsewhere on this board? How conveniently two-faced. Boobeoisie is as boobeoisie does I guess.

Don’t get me wrong Supersport probably has fantasies of playing Serpico the way most people have fantasies of winning the lottery. He wouldn’t have the balls to take an actual stand so when he sees my little (tiny, really) campaign against the crooks at WDET, he makes excuses about “well everybody cheats a little so don’t worry about it blah blah blah it’s no big deal” to hide the fact he doesn’t have the balls to take a stand, however small.

And leave me be clear my “stand” is tiny. I’m not trying to be some kind of hero. Supersport, confusing him with me, assumes I’m trying to be a hero. He assumes ‘well I think this way so therefore everyone else must think the same way.’ He would love to be a hero, especially if it means 89 bazillion new hits on his blog. Too bad, he lacks to balls to take an actual stand with potential consequences. Standing up to Grandma is all the poor boy can actually muster.

As for the repercussions, that so concerns poor Lowell, if someone doesn’t want to hire me because I told the truth (or how I told that truth) about Martin Bandyke or Michael Coleman or Harvey Ovshinsky, I don’t want to work for them anyway. Jobs come and go. I’ll find another. Right now, I’m having a blast telling a few truths. I’m going to keep on doing it whether Supersport or anyone else likes it or not.

For all the rest who might think I’ve been a little “mean” toward Sport and Jams and the WDET rat squad, I think you are wrong. I’ve been a lot mean toward all those types of people. I can only tolerate so much ignorance, banality, and deceit before I blow up. What I wonder is why so many of you, who privately say the same things I’m saying so publicly, have such a tolerance to ignorance, banality, and deceit. What the hell is wrong with you people?

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1847
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk don't want to argue with you because I agree with most of what you say but as someone that has worked with many non profits your statement "Most people running non-profits are honest." I would disagree and say it is about 50/50.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 875
Posted From: 68.42.174.187
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the Todd Van Poppel of essayists."

...now thats a call out.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1484
Posted From: 66.238.170.31
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the difference between Jelk and SS and reason for the big disagreements is in the way they view jobs.

Jelk, you are like me. I only work at places where I can deeply agree with the purpose/cause and goals of the organization. That is why I enjoy working for non-profit and government organizations, because they serve a puropose or cause above profit or other reasons.

SS (and others on this board) on the other hand seem to enjoy making and/or bringing profit to an organization. Or maybe they enjoy bring and enhancing creativity at their job. That's why many folks don't have a big attachment to a particular employer.

Non-profits by their nature are purpose/principal driven organizations. When that purpose is not met or the principals not lived up to, big problems will happen with the staff and/or board of the organization. Since most of the employees are there out of principal and are people who value principal over profit, they'll raise a ruckus and directly challenge those creating the unethical or undesired change regardless of its repercussions.

Jelk, I've worked for two non-profit organizations where new or existing directors departed greatly from the purpose of the org. or did not live up to the long existing standards of the the organization. I raised a ruckus every way I could, knowing all along that I was putting my job on the line. In the end it did cost me my job, but I wouldn't have changed anything. After I left, in both cases, the changes I was lobbying for happened. I felt a vindication for my grief (and secretly felt a sense of revenge as well!) and a relief that the organization was headed back on track.

Non-profit workers tend to pour themselves into their jobs and the purpose of the organization and take it personally when the skills and talents they bring to the job are not recognized and implemented.

Merch, I think it depends on the non-profit sector you are in. Although I think you'd be surprised with how many once ethical directors let things fall apart.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2572
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I stole a paperclip from work, I'd be fired. If I had stolen a paperclip from my previous employer, I never would have been hired by my current employer. Drug tests, finger printing, driving records, credit check, school transcripts, security clearance, notarized statements from non-relatives as to my whereabouts and means of income during periods of non-employment more than two weeks, etc. I guess rules are for the peons.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 917
Posted From: 69.14.125.129
Posted on Friday, June 02, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Mikem

Drug tests, finger printing, driving records, credit check, school transcripts, security clearance, notarized statements from non-relatives as to my whereabouts and means of income during periods of non-employment more than two weeks, etc. I guess rules are for the peons.

Hell and all you are is a sky taxi driver.

It is amazing Sport does not get axed for hogging all the available bandwidth at his place of employment.

Leyland
Username: Leyland

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone shut up and talk about Mick Collins.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5822
Posted From: 70.236.198.22
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 2:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listened to him tonight...it was a great way to pass a Saturday evening. He really enjoys the music.

Supersport

Post Number: 10150
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Supersport lacks the intellectual sophistication to understand the difference in motives.

Jelk,

What about your amazing IQ? You usually like to throw that in.

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 967
Posted From: 70.225.118.206
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jelk, vent all you want...sometimes people need to hear it, and if you don't want to hear it, don't read anymore of his/her posts.

I'm a a big fan of Coleman's initial programming changes at WDET, but I am also happy to see Jelk exposing the ugliness that's going on at a radio station that is owned by us, the public. I don't care if that makes folks uncomfortable or bored. This is a story that must be told and Jelk, as a good journalist, is telling it. We need more people like Jelk who aren't afraid to tell the truth and shine light on places where the cockroaches of the world hide.

Jelk

Post Number: 3779
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I tested the score was 130 and change. There's give and take in IQ numbers of a couple points so I just round down to 130 and leave it at that.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 795
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better keep the change if you want to get into Mensa. A nominal IQ of 132 is needed.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2530
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK of course Comic Book guy is Jelk ... so is Skinner LY?

Jelk

Post Number: 3780
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, thanks for the support DRM. I'm throwing the change into the tip jar. Mensa is like a college fraternity, the Chamber of Commerce, or the Campus Crusade for Detroit. Like Groucho Marx, I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member.

Supersport

Post Number: 10153
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I'm "part owner" of this publicly owned radio station, how do I go about selling my portion?

Jelk

Post Number: 3782
Posted From: 69.209.161.89
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that pretty much sums up Supersport's involvement in this thread he wants the 56 cents of his hard earned money back that annually goes to public broadcasting. Media that doesn't involve a half-naked woman draped over an engine is not for him.

Personally, I can't totally disagree with him because if all the people that regularly use public broadcasting came forward with a modest donation to their favorite stations, no government subsidy would be required for public radio or television.

Unfortunately that's not going to happen anytime soon and as such I think government support for public broadcasting has legitimate educational value. Many of us were fortunate to have been exposed to museums, cultural events, and the joys of reading. Not everyone is so fortunate and public broadcast can, for these people, provide that window on the world that is often more important than any formal education.

For all the good money, we send after bad trying to create an educated populous, public radio is a modest investment that can yield huge educational rewards for people of all ages. When public broadcasting is at its best, it is phenomenal. Even when a station is set on cruise control by management (i.e. WDET from 2004 through the present) it can still be pretty decent.

With the talent currently employed at WDET on the content side of operations, the station could be among the best in the United States, comparable with KCRW, WBEZ, etc.

But to take WDET to that next level, the current staff needs the kind of support that their current business model cannot afford. And station management is unable to find a better way of doing things except race to the bottom to stay in the black. And the Coleman makes things worse. How does one, in good conscience, ask for money when the person collecting that money is a convicted embezzler?

That's the real evil of this from a human perspective. Amazingly talented, ethical people are going to have to try and answer that question for pretty much every pledge drive as long as Michael Coleman is in charge. "Hello I am an honest person and would like to ask you for a donation that will be watched over by a dishonest person." Putting people in a position essentially to ask that question is evil. I hope Wayne State comes to their senses and proves my lack of faith in them wrong and cleans house.

For WDET to be what it can and should be for Detroit Coleman, Ovshinsky, and Stone have to go. The station's debt needs to be financed out so WDET can take some long overdue steps forward and a new revenue model has to be developed for the station. They need a real development director to go get the major grant money that has enriched public radio stations all over this country and led to a golden age of public radio (USA Today's words in February 2004) that has passed Detroit right on by.

Consider this for a second, the last on-air talent WDET developed (music or news) was John Moshier a full decade ago and he was let go. If someone like a young Ira Glass had been at WDET, he wouldn't have had the chance to produce something like This American Life. Actually, Coleman would probably say ‘great idea let’s try to make that show but cut the budget in half and instead of a no-name like Ira Glass let’s go find a BIG NAME! Does Dewayne X. Riley have a kid?’

The WDET recovery plan (ultra-Cliffs Notes version) laid out two paragraphs above is as difficult to execute and it is simple to explain, I understand that, but the alternative is a third rate public radio station.

Right now, the local content is very good for what the station invests in content. Actually, it is something of a minor miracle what WDET produces locally on a daily basis considering their resources. However, the ship is sinking and life boats (filled with green money) will be arriving soon to take WDET's most talented people to other ports far from Detroit. Barring a drastic change at WDET, you can bet on it.

(Message edited by jelk on June 05, 2006)

Supersport

Post Number: 10155
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now THAT is the Jelk with the IQ of 130 we've all came to know over the years. I can only assume that your bitterness got the best of you with all of your previous posts on this thread.

ps...I liked the part you threw in about women draped over engines too, though they are more likely to be draped over cars, as they tend to be easier on the skin, FYI.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.